Should I ride my bike on the path or road?

• 73 results
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By GunslingerPanda

The path. I don't even drive and I fuckinghate cyclists on the road. I don't mind them on paths, they're quite easy to dodge and don't exactly get in my way.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#52  Edited By big_jon

@haffy said:

@big_jon said:

I hate when bikes are ridden on the road.

Where else am I meant to ride my fucking road bike?

You've got to be careful on roads. Some people are full on fucking pricks. Whether it's people on foot, bike or car. Just don't let people intimidate you. The same people who bitch about people on bikes, are the same idiots who bitch about people in cars... actually idiots like that just like to be cunts and complain about everyone in their immediate area.

Did I hit a nerve? Quit ranting about something so stupid.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Animasta

@TheHumanDove said:

@Microshock said:

IT IS ILLEGAL TO RIDE ON THE SIDEWALK WITH A BIKE. It's either we ride on the road/bike path or we stop riding bikes, and nobody is going to stop for your impatient asses.

Once again, since so many people don't understand, it is ILLEGAL to RIDE A BIKE on the SIDEWALK. It does not matter if you disagree with it, take that up with the government, not with cyclists.

Break a law. YOLO!

I literally got stopped once by a cop because I was riding my bike on the sidewalk with no one else around

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By TheHumanDove

@Animasta said:

@TheHumanDove said:

@Microshock said:

IT IS ILLEGAL TO RIDE ON THE SIDEWALK WITH A BIKE. It's either we ride on the road/bike path or we stop riding bikes, and nobody is going to stop for your impatient asses.

Once again, since so many people don't understand, it is ILLEGAL to RIDE A BIKE on the SIDEWALK. It does not matter if you disagree with it, take that up with the government, not with cyclists.

Break a law. YOLO!

I literally got stopped once by a cop because I was riding my bike on the sidewalk with no one else around

You should have told the officer YOLO. Surely then he would have went on his way

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Stay off the fucking road.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ShockD

You should drive it whereever you want. I like the road, because it's smoother easier to cycle, but sometimes, in the search of a shortcut, I use paths and black roads.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By NTM

It's unfortunately illegal to ride bikes on the sidewalk, but you'll see some people do it, like families, because it'll be for their own safety. If I ever have to ride my bike again, I'm taking the sidewalk. I've never ridden on a busy street, and I don't ever plan on it.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Jams

Ride it to the pawnshop and sell it.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Spoonman671
@Animasta said:

@TheHumanDove said:

@Microshock said:

Break a law. YOLO!

You're right, getting stopped by a cop is much worse than getting bulldozed by a 5 ton truck.  It must have been very traumatic for you.
bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By bushpusherr

Soooooo, inspired by this thread, I checked out my local ruling in Redmond, WA.

"Bicycle Laws

Bicyclists riding on the road have all rights and responsibilities of a motorized vehicle and are subject to the same citations as motorists. Bicyclists should always ride with the flow of traffic (RCW 46.61). Bicycles are permitted on sidewalks and have all rights and responsibilities of a pedestrian."

So I'm going to continue riding on the sidewalk. :)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62  Edited By Animasta

@Spoonman671 said:

@Animasta said:

@TheHumanDove said:

@Microshock said:

Break a law. YOLO!

You're right, getting stopped by a cop is much worse than getting bulldozed by a 5 ton truck. It must have been very traumatic for you.

I mean that I got stopped by a cop once and spent 10 minutes getting dressed down by him rather than him doing something actually meaningful, it was really really dumb (I've passed plenty of cops since then that haven't cared)

it's like getting a ticket for jaywalking, dumb dumb dumb

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#63  Edited By Hizang

Now that I think about it, it is a stupid law, I mean so what if its annoying for pedestrians its also annoying as hell for drivers and hey way more dangerous if I fall off or get hit.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By fattony12000

If you ride that fucking bike past me on the pavement, I will fucking push you into the god damned traffic.

Obviously, if no one is around, ride wherever you bloody well please.

Learn to do this...

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Sploder

You should do it on the road, it really annoys me when you're walking down a narrow footpath and there's a cyclist and you have like a stand off to see who'll move first.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By myniceicelife

I always base it off of traffic. If there are a lot of vehicles on the road i'll stick to a sidewalk if available and if not i'll just ride on the road. it also depends on how comfortable you are with vehicles driving by you. most of them are nice enough to give you some room but some tend to ride close which can be a little annoying.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@Hizang said:

Now that I think about it, it is a stupid law, I mean so what if its annoying for pedestrians its also annoying as hell for drivers and hey way more dangerous if I fall off or get hit.

Yeah, I walk quite a lot and I can't count the amount of times I've nearly been hit by some jackass riding on the footpath. It's not just "annoying" for pedestrians; it can be downright dangerous.

@bushpusherr said:

"Bicycle Laws

Bicyclists riding on the road have all rights and responsibilities of a motorized vehicle and are subject to the same citations as motorists. Bicyclists should always ride with the flow of traffic (RCW 46.61). Bicycles are permitted on sidewalks and have all rights and responsibilities of a pedestrian."

That doesn't actually say you're allowed to ride on the sidewalk; just that bicycles are allowed on the sidewalk. There is a big difference in the wording.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By emem

It's interesting to hear that there are countries that allow grown-ups to ride their bikes on the sidewalk. Actually it was pretty cool as a child, you were always able to save time by basically driving wherever you wanted.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By bushpusherr

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Hizang said:

Yeah, I walk quite a lot and I can't count the amount of times I've nearly been hit by some jackass riding on the footpath. It's not just "annoying" for pedestrians; it can be downright dangerous.

@bushpusherr said:

"Bicycle Laws

That doesn't actually say you're allowed to ride on the sidewalk; just that bicycles are allowed on the sidewalk. There is a big difference in the wording.

I would very much doubt that they would include the phrase "Bicycles are permitted on sidewalks" if what they REALLY meant was "They are only allowed if you are walking them, and not riding them". If they wanted to express that riding bikes on the sidewalk was illegal, they would have said it. Your objection seems pretty absurd.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#70  Edited By xpgamer7

I have been biking for the better part of the year, and I've found that people get more pissed off if you're on the sidewalk, but as long as you can shift off before getting close they don't really care.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@bushpusherr said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@Hizang said:

@bushpusherr said:

"Bicycle Laws

I would very much doubt that they would include the phrase "Bicycles are permitted on sidewalks" if what they REALLY meant was "They are only allowed if you are walking them, and not riding them". If they wanted to express that riding bikes on the sidewalk was illegal, they would have said it. Your objection seems pretty absurd.

Well from what I seem to be able to gather doing a little research, there is no law specifically stating you aren't allowed to ride on the sidewalk in Washington. I just thought it the law you posted was weirdly worded, referring to bicyclists (people who ride bikes) when talking about the road but using bicycle when talking about the sidewalk.

I did find this:

Shoulder vs. Bike Lane - Cyclists may choose to ride on the path, bike lane, shoulder or travel lane as suits their safety needs (RCW 46.61.770).

So I would say that it pretty conclusive.

Personally, I don't really care if someone rides on the sidewalk; just assholes who believe pedestrians should jump out of the way to let them through. It's especially annoying, since I like to listen to the Bombcast when I walk, and really cannot hear anything coming up behind me.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By John1912

Personally I say ride on the path. Esp if people arent walking on it. I really fucking hate ppl who bike in the fucking road like they are driving a car.

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By microshock

In New York City, the sidewalks are filled with people, and the roads tend to be wide enough to allow for a cyclist. I do live in Brooklyn not Manhattan so it's not as crazy.

Want to hear complaints? I fucking hate when idiots open their car doors without checking their mirrors first. I hate when people double park in such a way that I have to swerve to the left to get around them.

I hate when the cars don't put on their turn signals and you can only see they're turning at the last second.

Also, the roads tend to be a LOT smoother. My arguments obviously vary from place to place, but if i were to ride on the sidewalk even if it was LEGAL, it'd be bumpy and full of people.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#74  Edited By csl316
@face15

It is a fact that every cyclist is a dick. They always ride in the fucking middle of the road and you can't get around them and they go so slow and I just want to fucking die.

That's my input.

Yeah, when I'm in the city, a cyclist that think he's a car is ridiculous. Especially when they got ear buds in.

I bike all the time, but away from busy places because I don't like causing havoc.