Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#51  Edited By project343
@Pinworm45 said:
" @project343 said:

Society's lack of remorse is an issue. And you're contributing to it. GTFO. "
I have absolutely no remorse for someone who has absolutely no issues in a world full of an incredible amount of issues, and acts like a whiny child seeking attention over it, particularly on the internet. I have remorse for people with real problems. Not some guy who whines about being depressed because his parents split up. Wow man, that's rough. It's only what close to half of all children have to deal with.  Coddling this guy at your teet isn't going to prepare him for life, nor is it going to make him anything of value beyond a narcissist who thinks the world should revolve around them, thanks to our current "there are no losers" mentality.   It's pathetic. It's selfish. It's childish. And his life is a fucking dream to the lives of many people who live in legitimate suffering and have legitimate problems.  "
Issues are all relative, and so is frame of mind. How much more effort does it take to bring someone up rather than down? If you're going to spend valuable time degrading others on message boards, why not instead spend that time contributing to these 'legitimate problems' that you care so much about? 

Further, in order for an individual to care about human life on a grand scale, they must be at ease with themselves: it's a mental priority system. Look at any human developmental psychology. You have to serve yourself to the point of content before serving others. A more approachable and tangible example would be this: a doctor must ensure his own survival before saving others, as he cannot save anyone if he is critically incapacitated.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm not too sure, man. It sounds like it'd be a good thing to talk to them about it, but maybe it wouldn't be worth it. It's tough to say, and really, I think you're going to be the one that needs to decide. If you really think it'll make you feel better to tell them about this and get it off your chest, then you should go for it. However, you gotta be prepared for the fact that they might not respond the way you want them to. They could take it personally and be offended, they could be disinterested, or perhaps even think you're just whining about something unimportant. Like someone else said, it might be a good idea to discuss it with your psychiatrist first.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By audiosnag
@Pinworm45 said:

" @audiosnag said:

" In the same way that a persons not gonna find solutions on the interwebs, you telling him "grow up you little bitch" isn't gonna make him go "Heeey, he's right!" It just makes you sound like a dick. "
I disagree. It might make him think about it and grow the fuck up. I used to be similiar when I was 14, and when I got a similiar speech, it did help.  It's certainly a better alternative to coddling him and feeding this ridiculousness.  "
Like i said "Internet tough guy is tough"
You're either 
A) Just trying to come across as mad tough 
or
B) Have no understanding of how people function. Or understand anything about depression. I'm sure there are people out there who are "depressed" who just need to get over it but there are people who due to a chemical imbalance CAN'T just get over it. It's a physical thing, not a mental issue. It's like having a cold or some sort of medical condition. You can't just tell someone with Parkinsons to "suck it up an stop fidgiting so much"
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Marcsman
@dr_nefarious:
Since when do cheer up and shut up have the same meaning? I agree with the Worm. I do not give two fucks about you or your insignificant problems. Grow up emo kid. Seriously.
Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Akrid
@Pinworm45:  No need to be rude buddy. The scale of things you should give a shit about adjusts with your quality of life.
  North Americans should be proud that their range of problems are so petty compared to others.

forgive me if I'm extrapolating a bit too far on what you've said here, but what your suggesting goes against nature. Settling for what you have simply because in the grand scheme of things you may be doing alright impedes human progression.

In other words, eating one's vegetables should not be impacted by the fact that their are starving children in the world.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Pinworm45
@dr_nefarious said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" @project343 said:

Society's lack of remorse is an issue. And you're contributing to it. GTFO. "
I have absolutely no remorse for someone who has absolutely no issues in a world full of an incredible amount of issues, and acts like a whiny child seeking attention over it, particularly on the internet. I have remorse for people with real problems. Not some guy who whines about being depressed because his parents split up. Wow man, that's rough. It's only what close to half of all children have to deal with.  Coddling this guy at your teet isn't going to prepare him for life, nor is it going to make him anything of value beyond a narcissist who thinks the world should revolve around them, thanks to our current "there are no losers" mentality.   It's pathetic. It's selfish. It's childish. And his life is a fucking dream to the lives of many people who live in legitimate suffering and have legitimate problems.  "
I love the fact that you think I'm some "whiny child seeking attention over the internet" when in reality you know nothing about me. Sure I'll agree there are a lot of problems out there in the world. What I don't understand is when a guy talks about something serious and you make a joke out of it. What's wrong with expressing yourself? Even if I was whining wouldn't it be better to whine and let all of my emotions out then to bottle them up? That's what's wrong with people like you. I have a feeling you're one of those "tough" guys who think you should always bottle up your emotions and never let them out. Poor poor you.. "
I love the fact that you think I'm    one of those "tough" guys who think you should always bottle up your emotions and never let them out. "  I also love the hypocrisy. 

I also love how you think you should have free reign to express yourself while I should not. Again, narcissistic hypocrisy.  

You're right, all I know about you is what you posted here. And it's something I've seen a million times on the internet. Whining about non-issues. 

I'm not saying you should do anything. I'm giving my opinion on your problems : I think they're miniscule, I think you should grow up and stop expecting to be coddled by everyone, and I think instead of constantly evaluating yourself like the good narcissist dr.phil has lead so many to be, you should just deal with it and get over it. If you don't want my opinion on it, ignore me, or better yet, don't post on the internet about it. 

if you really want to be one of those emotional people who constantly talks about and whines about emotions, go find a friend or something. 
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By Oldirtybearon

It's pretty sad that the OP has nobody else to turn to but a video game forum on Giant Bomb. With this in mind, you pricks might want to take a stab at empathy, if you have any at all. 

As for the OP: Just talk to your parents. It'll no doubt be scary as hell to tell them how you feel, but there's a chance that they're just oblivious. Parents can often be overcome with the daily grind that they forget how important the little things are to their kids. You should really sit them down and talk it out, and let them know what you're going through. It may seem like small problems to other people, but fuck 'em. This is your worry, and you need to be the one who deals with it. I suggest you get on that ASAP. If you just wait for an opportune moment, it'll never come. Attack that shit! Charge!

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Marcsman

What I don't understand is when a guy talks about something serious and you make a joke out of  

A second grade show and tell is fucking serious? Spare me. Crawl back inside the womb, if the second grade left you "clinically depressed" the real world is gonna fuck you up bigtime.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Pinworm45
@project343 said:

How much more effort does it take to bring someone up rather than down?  

I believe my method is more conducive to improving someones life than feeding the need people have to feel special and unique via all their problems. 

@Akrid said: 

@Pinworm45:    forgive me if I'm extrapolating a bit too far on what you've said here, but what your suggesting goes against nature. Settling for what you have simply because in the grand scheme of things you may be doing alright impedes human progression "

I'm not telling him to not try and improve himself. I'm saying this not only isn't helping, it's a mentality that regresses a person. The best option, in my opinion, is for him to stop considering himself special, stop spending so much time thinking about this crap, get over it, and move on with life. I also think this is better advice than to simple coddle him and tell him he's an awesome dude who's valued in this world and that no one's a loser.    
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#60  Edited By ThePickle

Definitely tell them. 

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#61  Edited By ThePickle
@Snapstacle said:
" You can either:  A) Pilot an EVA or B) Move in with a soap salesman you met on a plane who will start Project Mayhem while you sleep.  Or you know... just tell them. "
+1 for Fight Club reference. 
Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By Alex_Murphy
@Pinworm45 said:
"I definitely don't care about your non-problems when there's thousands of children who can't eat every single day, constant war and famine."
Yea, but those people who are starving to death in Ethiopia are people that you'll never meet and they'll have no impact on your life. At least this guy is on the forum we all come to. In his thousand plus posts he must have contributed SOMETHING positive to this internet community. So I think his life should be worth more to us than people on the other side of the earth that we'll never have any contact with. How much more is just a matter of personal preference.
Avatar image for captain_awesome
captain_awesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By captain_awesome

Just sort stuff out for yourself before it's to late dude just talk with someone and Think. Iv'e wasted 15 years of my live being a to big pussy to do something about it. Trust me man you just gotta do something about it. Every little thing counts including finally telling your parents about what you feel and think cause in the end It's your life you should be the one who decides what do with it. And It looks like it's kinda important to know how the situation is from your parents perspective. And btw shit won't be over just with talking to your parents it's going to take a while for you to finally be ok.

JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By JerkFace

Tell them.  The only way you can heal wounds like that is by opening them up and confronting the past.  Even if it hurts.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Pinworm45
@Alex_Murphy said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
"I definitely don't care about your non-problems when there's thousands of children who can't eat every single day, constant war and famine."
Yea, but those people who are starving to death in Ethiopia are people that you'll never meet and they'll have no impact on your life. At least this guy is on the forum we all come to. In his thousand plus posts he must have contributed SOMETHING positive to this internet community. So I think his life should be worth more to us than people on the other side of the earth that we'll never have any contact with. How much more is just a matter of personal preference. "
If we're going to go by this logic, it's someone who's made posts that have thus far annoyed me. Which means I should care even less. 

Which isn't what I'm saying, I just don't agree with that form of logic. 

Anyway, I'm not saying I don't feel bad for him. I kind of do, I feel bad for anyone who has a tough time. I just don't see how coddling this type of mentality is effective to improve a person, particularly when in all of my experiences it has done nothing but regress people.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Pinworm45: I genuinely pity people like you. You're so bitter and full of apathy because somebody, somewhere, hurt you. Or didn't hug you enough. Or the world kicked you in the ass and you fell over. You got told to suck it up and "be a man", and so you did. Now you see someone else in a similar position and you're so full of glee to be able to kick them in the ass and tell them to "be a man". 

Your world view is also what's wrong with most people. This whole "out for myself" attitude that is complete and utter bollocks. Being a man doesn't mean you bottle up your hurt and move on. Being a man is lending a helping hand to your brothers and sisters and helping them through difficult times. Being a man doesn't entail being an internet tough guy. Being a man requires intellect, strength of will, and most of all, compassion. Without compassion for your fellow human being, you're worth less than the dirt you squat in. You just take up space and contribute nothing. In short, you're just an angry boy who doesn't understand how people can empathize or show compassion for a brother. 

So go on, be bitter if you think it makes you look cool. You'll grow up eventually. 

I hope.
metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By metalmoog

Sure, nothing wrong with expressing your feelings and asking for advice.  It's a brave thing for you to do, opening up to a bunch of people on the internet. But there are definitely better people to talk to and places to go to seek meaningful advice and get genuine help than on a Video Game themed website, it's just the nature of the site it's not a therapeutic counseling website, it's for talk about video games and other none important recreational bullshit activities.  I think and talk about games to get my head around something escapist and positive for the most part, not to talk about life issues and current events.

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By dr_nefarious
@Marcsman said:
" What I don't understand is when a guy talks about something serious and you make a joke out of   A second grade show and tell is fucking serious? Spare me. Crawl back inside the womb, if the second grade left you "clinically depressed" the real world is gonna fuck you up bigtime. "
Really why are you even posting in this thread? Do you honestly believe that what you have to say has any signifigance at all? What are you contributing? I have no ill feelings toward anyone, especially over the internet but I do hope that when you are faced with a serious problem and seek help and advice people don't respond "grow up and quit bitching". Everyone needs a shoulder to lean on, I just hope when your time comes that there is one there for you.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

@Bloodgraiv3 said:
" @lawlerballer said:
"wall of text aaaaaah "
Its not that big -.- "
No, but it is a literal wall of text. In that even looking at it is a pain on the eyes.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Milkman
@Pinworm45: Nice to see this idiot derailed the entire thread. OH U, internet.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Pinworm45
@KingWilly said:

" @Pinworm45: I genuinely pity people like you. You're so bitter and full of apathy because somebody, somewhere, hurt you. Or didn't hug you enough. Or the world kicked you in the ass and you fell over. You got told to suck it up and "be a man", and so you did. Now you see someone else in a similar position and you're so full of glee to be able to kick them in the ass and tell them to "be a man".  Your world view is also what's wrong with most people. This whole "out for myself" attitude that is complete and utter bollocks. Being a man doesn't mean you bottle up your hurt and move on. Being a man is lending a helping hand to your brothers and sisters and helping them through difficult times. Being a man doesn't entail being an internet tough guy. Being a man requires intellect, strength of will, and most of all, compassion. Without compassion for your fellow human being, you're worth less than the dirt you squat in. You just take up space and contribute nothing. In short, you're just an angry boy who doesn't understand how people can empathize or show compassion for a brother.  So go on, be bitter if you think it makes you look cool. You'll grow up eventually.  I hope. "

Alright Dr.Phil. 

I'm compassionate. I'm compassionate for those who have legitimate problems. 

I do not see how this qualifies. 

Instead what I see is an epidemic of a disease more over diagnosed than ADD. 

Furthermore, feeding this type of depression has never, ever been a cure. Feeding it makes the person both Dependant on the attention and sympathy they receive, as well as encouraging them to do it further, thinking the world will help them along. It makes people unable to be independent, which in turn makes it worse. 

In our age, this whole depression thing is completely and utterly overblown, and while it definitely exists, again, feeding it has never, ever been shown to help, and in fact, has been shown to make it worse. 

I have no desire to make it worse. 

You can prattle your theories about how I'm not compassionate or the reasons why I'm bitter, but for what it's worth, I don't make much money but manage to donate a fair bit of it to charities such as MSF. And regardless of what you may think, I am very compassionate to the problems of the world. I am simply not convinced that lathering people suffering these types of mental problems in compassion is an effective cure or response, and as such have a unique way of showing it.. From what I've seen, it's similiar to constantly telling an Anorexic that they're thin - it seems a logical response to help this person, but in actuality it causes them to feed on it while also making food and weight a bigger deal in their head, which just makes it worse.) 
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Pinworm45
@dr_nefarious said:
" @Marcsman said:
" What I don't understand is when a guy talks about something serious and you make a joke out of   A second grade show and tell is fucking serious? Spare me. Crawl back inside the womb, if the second grade left you "clinically depressed" the real world is gonna fuck you up bigtime. "
 Do you honestly believe that what you have to say has any signifigance at all? "
There it is ladies and gentlemen, our totally not narcissistic victim. 

Please. He needs to get over himself and I don't understand how anyone can not see that.
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By dr_nefarious
@Pinworm45 said:
" @project343 said:

How much more effort does it take to bring someone up rather than down?  

I believe my method is more conducive to improving someones life than feeding the need people have to feel special and unique via all their problems. 

@Akrid said: 

@Pinworm45:    forgive me if I'm extrapolating a bit too far on what you've said here, but what your suggesting goes against nature. Settling for what you have simply because in the grand scheme of things you may be doing alright impedes human progression "

I'm not telling him to not try and improve himself. I'm saying this not only isn't helping, it's a mentality that regresses a person. The best option, in my opinion, is for him to stop considering himself special, stop spending so much time thinking about this crap, get over it, and move on with life. I also think this is better advice than to simple coddle him and tell him he's an awesome dude who's valued in this world and that no one's a loser.     "
I don't think the negative approach you are bringing is going to help anyone. Honestly if you feel that it does then I advise you to seek some serious mental help yourself. Also, what the fuck is this talk about me thinking I'm special? Listen buddy I never put myself before others. I'm not holding a gun and telling you to feel sorry for me. Hey, if you want you even have the option to not post in this thread. How about that? Sounds like the solution to all our problems.
Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#74  Edited By Ravenousrattler

Yeah that sucks, but alot of parents are not interested in what their kids do, most just fake enthusiasm.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Pinworm45: There is a very fundamental difference in trying to tell someone their problems aren't that bad, and tearing into them with joy like you did. The things you said and the way you said them made it look like it's an itch you were waiting to scratch. I don't see how you can be a compassionate individual and choose to rip into somebody in a sad enough state like that.  

And yes, the world has problems. Everyone has problems. His problems may not be a big deal to you or I, but that doesn't mean we can't take the moment or two it takes to listen and try to guide as best as we can. Instead you chose to berate him and try to emasculate the dude. That's not right, no matter how you want to slice it.
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By dr_nefarious
@KingWilly said:
" @Pinworm45: There is a very fundamental difference in trying to tell someone their problems aren't that bad, and tearing into them with joy like you did. The things you said and the way you said them made it look like it's an itch you were waiting to scratch. I don't see how you can be a compassionate individual and choose to rip into somebody in a sad enough state like that.   And yes, the world has problems. Everyone has problems. His problems may not be a big deal to you or I, but that doesn't mean we can't take the moment or two it takes to listen and try to guide as best as we can. Instead you chose to berate him and try to emasculate the dude. That's not right, no matter how you want to slice it. "
Thanks but just ignore him. I'm starting to wonder if he has problems of his own. By the looks of it I'm guessing that they might be a lot worse than mine. LOL.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Pinworm45
@KingWilly said:
" @Pinworm45: There is a very fundamental difference in trying to tell someone their problems aren't that bad, and tearing into them with joy like you did. The things you said and the way you said them made it look like it's an itch you were waiting to scratch. I don't see how you can be a compassionate individual and choose to rip into somebody in a sad enough state like that.   And yes, the world has problems. Everyone has problems. His problems may not be a big deal to you or I, but that doesn't mean we can't take the moment or two it takes to listen and try to guide as best as we can. Instead you chose to berate him and try to emasculate the dude. That's not right, no matter how you want to slice it. "
Actually.. You're right. I was a bit harsh. 

I wasn't trying to immaculate him or berate him, though. I honestly believe that not reinforcing this type of narcissism is more effective at improving people than embracing it. And while psychological sciences are fairly new, some tests are starting to show agreement.  

I'm not saying I wasn't a dick - I was, though I didn't post with the intention of being a dick nor do I feel I "tore himto him with joy". But just look at his posts. Anything that said anything along the lines of him growing up was met with absolute hostility and insulting (justified in my case, given that I was rude, but check his other posts), while he still claims that he is an absolutely upstanding citizen who does nothing but 'put others before him'. Just read the style of his writing, what he says. It's blatantly obvious, at least to me, most of his problems with 'depression' are a symptom of narcissism that our current society is brewing in younger people.  

Going back to my analogy, feeding this is like, to my mind, telling an anorexic over and over that they are thin and healthy - you may have the best intentions, it may feel right, but you're only allowing them to embrace it and think it's a bigger deal than it is, which prevents them from moving on while perhaps even regressing them and making it worse. 

Anyway, I've said all I wanted to say on the subject, consider my opinion - or don't, and instead read all of the posts that say nothing of actual mathematical value, other than saying 'hey man, that sucks, cheer up". If you honestly believe that will help you, go for it with the best of luck. I'll leave now.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Pinworm45
@dr_nefarious said:
" @KingWilly said:
Thanks but just ignore him. I'm starting to wonder if he has problems of his own. By the looks of it I'm guessing that they might be a lot worse than mine. LOL. "
Sorry, I know I said I'd go but this fits in with the point I was making in my last post. Notice how he says he suspects my problems are worse than his - and then in capitols laughs at them. Notice how he expects compassion and sympathy for himself while laughing at others. You can argue that it's because he doesn't like me given my posts, but still, I think it's worth considering in conjunction with my previous post.  

Bye now.
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By audiosnag
@Pinworm45 said:
" @dr_nefarious said:
" @KingWilly said:
Thanks but just ignore him. I'm starting to wonder if he has problems of his own. By the looks of it I'm guessing that they might be a lot worse than mine. LOL. "
Sorry, I know I said I'd go but this fits in with the point I was making in my last post. Notice how he says he suspects my problems are worse than his - and then in capitols laughs at them. Notice how he expects compassion and sympathy for himself while laughing at others. You can argue that it's because he doesn't like me given my posts, but still, I think it's worth considering in conjunction with my previous post.   Bye now. "
Yeah you're right, im sure the general shittiness with which you've treated anything he's said had nothing to do with it.
Nothing at all. Great point.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Pinworm45
@audiosnag said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" @dr_nefarious said:
" @KingWilly said:
Sorry, I know I said I'd go but this fits in with the point I was making in my last post. Notice how he says he suspects my problems are worse than his - and then in capitols laughs at them. Notice how he expects compassion and sympathy for himself while laughing at others. You can argue that it's because he doesn't like me given my posts, but still, I think it's worth considering in conjunction with my previous post.   Bye now. "
Yeah you're right, im sure the general shittiness with which you've treated anything he's said had nothing to do with it. Nothing at all. Great point. "
He's said offensive things to me and yet I'm still being told I should feel compassion for him, why should the same rules not apply to him? Why should he not be obligated to feel compassionate, particularly when he's expecting others to feel it for him? 

I even acknowledged what you said in my post. I still think you can see the point.
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By dr_nefarious
@Pinworm45 said:
" @dr_nefarious said:
" @KingWilly said:
I suspected you had problems by the way you were typing your responses to me. Don't expect sympathy from others if you aren't going to be of good character.
Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Crocio
@Jazz said:
" I feel for you...especially the obvious lack of paragraphing skills but this really isn't the place to be bringing this up. You'll only get even more hurt.. "
@dr_nefarious

You really won't get help from this unempathetic mass. Most of this community is likely made up of teenagers; they wouldn't know enough to help you.
  Just look into this link and find some help, it's your best optjon.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Pinworm45
@dr_nefarious said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" @dr_nefarious said:
" @KingWilly said:
I suspected you had problems by the way you were typing your responses to me. Don't expect sympathy from others if you aren't going to be of good character. "
I don't, things are pretty good for me right now. I was going with what you said. I expect nor desire nothing from you, or anyone else here. I thought that was self evident given that my stance is against that kind of thing.
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By audiosnag
@Pinworm45: 
Because you started with this "Grow up. The real world has no care or remorse for such childishness."
And you pretty much stuck with that tone if not got worse. If you honestly can't see why he wouldn't care about your situation after you opened up with that statement then you're not the brightest light bulb in the pack.
If i said to someone "hey i have a problem" and they responded with "grow up, nobody cares, get over yourself...oh but while you're here i need to discuss a problem i have with you" then its pretty likely i wouldn't give a damn.
It's not that hard to figure out.
RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By RaceKickfist

OP, talk with your parents. whether or not your personal problems register on the global scale is beside the point- it matters to YOU, and I think it matters to your parents as well. And reaching out to a community, ANY community, for help is not a sign of weakness. It doesnt make you any less of a man. It makes you wise. I didnt read much of the posts on this thread, but the general consensus is to approach your parents and discuss these issues. The sooner you do, the sooner you can heal, and move on. And continue with your counseling therapy- it will help. It helped me out a LOT when I was going thru not-so-great times.  

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Pinworm45
@audiosnag said:
" @Pinworm45:  Because you started with this "Grow up. The real world has no care or remorse for such childishness." And you pretty much stuck with that tone if not got worse. If you honestly can't see why he wouldn't care about your situation after you opened up with that statement then you're not the brightest light bulb in the pack. If i said to someone "hey i have a problem" and they responded with "grow up, nobody cares, get over yourself...oh but while you're here i need to discuss a problem i have with you" then its pretty likely i wouldn't give a damn. It's not that hard to figure out. "
But that's not what I'm saying. I don't know where you're getting the impression I either said I have problems or said I wanted to discuss them, because I didn't and I don't. I pointed out his quote as evidence towards my theory posted in my other post. that, combined with messages he's said to both me and others, makes a pretty decent case, I'd say. I'm not expecting him to care about anything related to me, nor do I desire it. I was using it as evidence for his character. 
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By dr_nefarious
@Pinworm45 said:

" @audiosnag said:

" @Pinworm45:  Because you started with this "Grow up. The real world has no care or remorse for such childishness." And you pretty much stuck with that tone if not got worse. If you honestly can't see why he wouldn't care about your situation after you opened up with that statement then you're not the brightest light bulb in the pack. If i said to someone "hey i have a problem" and they responded with "grow up, nobody cares, get over yourself...oh but while you're here i need to discuss a problem i have with you" then its pretty likely i wouldn't give a damn. It's not that hard to figure out. "
But that's not what I'm saying. I don't know where you're getting the impression I either said I have problems or said I wanted to discuss them, because I didn't and I don't. I pointed out his quote as evidence towards my theory posted in my other post. that, combined with messages he's said to both me and others, makes a pretty decent case, I'd say. I'm not expecting him to care about anything related to me, nor do I desire it. I was using it as evidence for his character.  "
I thought you were supposed to leave a long time ago? What happened? Did things suddenly start to get interesting?

BTW: you kept mentioning about how you hope I learn from this. But really I think it is you who learned something today. Try not to come off as such a douche and actually try to care and listen to peoples problems. Kthxbai!
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By audiosnag
@Pinworm45 said:
" @audiosnag said:
But that's not what I'm saying. I don't know where you're getting the impression I either said I have problems or said I wanted to discuss them, because I didn't and I don't. I pointed out his quote as evidence towards my theory posted in my other post. that, combined with messages he's said to both me and others, makes a pretty decent case, I'd say. I'm not expecting him to care about anything related to me, nor do I desire it. I was using it as evidence for his character.  "
I know what you're saying. But the evidence you're using to point out character flaws is the fact that he said you probably have worse problems then he does followed by LOL. And like i said, obviously he's gonna say something like that when you started being so hostile. Matt Rorie used a personal example in his post and you didn't see the OP go "get out this is my thread damnit!!" 
It's not that hard to understand.
RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By RaceKickfist

you know, i think generally when people ask for help, they're not asking for validation of their problem (they KNOW its there. they KNOW its a real thing thats causing real issues), they're -you know- asking for help. suggestions, answers, solutions, ideas. Half of my life i've dealt with depression, and the "cheer up" and the "grow up" advice didn't help. ever. depression is a medical thing. your brain chemicals get all out of whack because of emotional trauma. And being a teenager is even WORSE. your body is having all sorts of wierd-ass hormones pumping through your system at once. If your brain chem is out of sync when that happens you have to be especially careful. 

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#90  Edited By project343
@Pinworm45:  I do agree with you on certain points. Considering oneself as 'special' is certainly a dangerous frame of mind, as it disconnects the individual from reality and puts them in their own fantastical world against their own fantastical standards. Further, I do agree: you should never hold onto negative feelings, and moving on is the healthiest thing for any troubled individual to do.  

However, you can still feed someone positivity without telling them that they're unique. Telling a boy that he's capable of great things is very different than telling him that he's brilliant, or a visionary, or some flourished blessing. But as opposed to your thoughts: people are far more likely to actively engage in society when they are fed positivity as opposed to no reward atoll. In order to inspire passion, you have to tell an individual that they 'can' achieve so much. 

At the end of the day, I'd speculate that your idea of raising a child would lead them into a passionless forward-momentum: another student making his way aimlessly through a business degree in order to amount to society's standards. To me, that isn't a life that anyone should live. People should be exploding with passion and positivity. They should be running after their far-fetched goals, and picking themselves up after every fall. Great advances in art and science were never made by people who just 'kept on truckin.' A passionate individual has enough confidence in themselves and enough pride in the human race to stand up against your before-mentioned world issues, poverty or political injustice.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Pinworm45
@audiosnag said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" @audiosnag said:
I know what you're saying. But the evidence you're using to point out character flaws is the fact that he said you probably have worse problems then he does followed by LOL. And like i said, obviously he's gonna say something like that when you started being so hostile. Matt Rorie used a personal example in his post and you didn't see the OP go "get out this is my thread damnit!!"  It's not that hard to understand. "
I also said to view his other responses to other people, which were similar to the ones he gave me. He acted like the exact same snooty narcissist who threw a temper tantrum and was rude and insulting when the people did not give him "hey man, you're awesome! cheer up!" like attention and instead offered actual, valid advice or told him to grow up in a manner less direct and rude than the one I chose.    far as I'm concerned that established his character. 

@dr_nefarious said:
Try not to come off as such a douche and actually try to care and listen to peoples problems. Kthxbai! "
I do, just not self absorbed brats like yourself. If anything could have possibility solidified my point, it was your use of Kthxbai. Grow up and get over yourself. 

Now I'm done.
Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Alex_Murphy
@Pinworm45 said:
" I don't make much money but manage to donate a fair bit of it to charities such as MSF. "
If you have extra money you should spend it on video games, recreational drugs, and prostitutes. People shouldn't expect free food and medicine if they decide to live in a desolate wasteland where they can't grow crops. They should show that they're trying to improve their situation, and not just lie on the ground covered in flies, waiting for a handout. Some of them try to make money by breaking rocks to sell to construction companies to make concrete.  Well that's great except they do it by smashing one rock on another till they break into little pieces. Really?? that's the best way they could think of to break rocks? I've seen the shanty towns they live in, the houses are made of wood planks and sheet metal. Why don't they use that materiel to build a giant tumbler that one person could sit in a chair and just turn a crank to break a thousand rocks at the same time? Do I know how to build such a machine? No, but if I lived over there I'd learn pretty goddamn fast. Don't give these people food, give them a book on mechanical advantage.

I'd like to see a charity that only helps the smartest 20% of a population. Build a board game, write a book, paint a picture, do something to show that you're worth a damn. There's a reason why Bill Gates is a Billionaire and other people are starving to death. If you give these people money and or medicine, you're rewarding them for being on the bottom rung of human civilization. Wait for them to dig a well, learn algebra, move to a more fertile part of the world, and then reward them for their hard work and perseverance, and not just being satisfied wallowing in despair and poverty.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Pinworm45
@project343 said:
" @Pinworm45:
However, you can still feed someone positivity without telling them that they're unique. Telling a boy that he's capable of great things is very different than telling him that he's brilliant, or a visionary, or some flourished blessing. But as opposed to your thoughts: people are far more likely to actively engage in society when they are fed positivity as opposed to no reward atoll. In order to inspire passion, you have to tell an individual that they 'can' achieve so much.  At the end of the day, I'd speculate that your idea of raising a child would lead them into a passionless forward-momentum: another student making his way aimlessly through a business degree in order to amount to society's standards. To me, that isn't a life that anyone should live. People should be exploding with passion and positivity. They should be running after their far-fetched goals, and picking themselves up after every fall. Great advances in art and science were never made by people who just 'kept on truckin.' A passionate individual has enough confidence in themselves and enough pride in the human race to stand up against your before-mentioned world issues, poverty or political injustice. "
The things you're speaking about here are positives - things I think should be encouraged. I'm not saying no one should have any passion or emotion and I'm not saying no one should get attention. 

I'm saying those things shouldn't be given to a NEGATIVE frame of mind - such as the one presented in the OP. I am saying that his mentality is one that should not be encouraged. Once he does the 'keep on truckin' and instead of talking about how he suffers all of these problems and expecting attention and sympathy, and instead focuses on positive things that can improve his life, I'm all for that being encouraged. But the way to getting to that area is NOT to encourage this mentality. . I am all for embracing and nurturing positive mentalities.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#94  Edited By zombie2011
@dr_nefarious: Good luck in life if you can't get over the fact your parents weren't always there. I moved to America when i was 7, my parents didn't move for another 3 years, i had to live my my grandparents until then. You have some weak ass problems dude, nothing serious about this thread just get over it.
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By audiosnag
@Pinworm45: 
I'm pretty sure you're trying to be obtuse. I don't wanna have this discussion anymore, it's not gonna get anywhere. All i'll say is the only person who seems to exhibit some major character flaws in this thread is yourself.

@Alex_Murphy:
This post is hilarious. Well done sir.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Pinworm45:   The trick when dealing with sore people like the OP (when they feel smug and superior because someone else articulated their "defense" better than they could) is to try and maintain the high ground. It's not easy when someone rubs your face in some bullshit, like the OP is trying to do, but people do respect you for being the bigger man and letting it lie. Props. 

@dr_nefarious:
I didn't defend you because you're particularly clever, or a contributor to Giant Bomb, I defended you because you're a poor kid going through some rough shit and didn't deserve to get harped on like that. You should carry yourself with a shred of dignity instead of holding a petty grudge. Dude cut you, someone told him it was stupid, he realized it was stupid, and then we moved on. Trying to rub someone's face in it is just proving that you're a childish fool. 
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By X19
@dr_nefarious:  

Hey man 

I had alot of anxiety when I was younger so I can help you with that and maybe it might help you with your other problems.

It sounds to me like you think alot and that can be a good thing but also very damaging if your thoughts keep drifting to painful memories. The problem is that the more you have negative thoughts the more your brain gets conditioned to think that way. Basically its a habit you need to get out of by simply thinking more positively. By this I dont mean skipping around the house saying "I'm a positive person" all day, I mean you need to start combating the very first negative thought that comes into your head with a positive one. Depending on how long you have had this habit will determine how difficult it will be to fix it but I promise you its worth it. 

Let me give you an example of a few social situations.  
  • Go running somewhere you have never been  
  • Meet friends on a friday night for a drink
  • Take up a new hobby which requires you to interact with people to achieve a goal. 

I'm well aware that I don't know you but if you did start feeling anxious and had negative thoughts about the prospect of being in these situations then you need to start working on this bad habit and fix it. I found starting a routine and pushing my social boundaries was a brilliant way to get out of thinking negatively. Basically doing things I feared doing and pushing through them even if I felt like I was gonna die really did work. The high you get from achieving something like that takes you out of your little boxed reality and makes you feel great. The more you push yourself, the more happy experiences you get and this eventually balances your mind back to seeing the bigger picture. What I mean by that is you can view a situation both negatively and positively but you dont get affected mentally by it. 

I suggest you read more on the subject than my poor example lol 

If you do work on this aspect of your life, anxiety and depression will become under your control and not controlling you. I'm not saying they go away because they dont but your mindset will be alot stronger and healthier to deal with them if they do arise again. 

Imo if you can sort these problems out first you will be ready to talk to your parents and either way it goes come out happier for it :) 

PS thinking that something only happens to you is a negative thought btw. Its easily fixed by talking and socializing with alot more people and coming to the conclusion that everyone on this planet is screwed up lol 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#98  Edited By crusader8463

Let me know when you add paragraphs and I will happily give you advice.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Azteck
@Pinworm45 said:
" @audiosnag said:
" In the same way that a persons not gonna find solutions on the interwebs, you telling him "grow up you little bitch" isn't gonna make him go "Heeey, he's right!" It just makes you sound like a dick. "
I disagree. It might make him think about it and grow the fuck up. I used to be similiar when I was 14, and when I got a similiar speech, it did help.  It's certainly a better alternative to coddling him and feeding this ridiculousness.  "
Okay. Let's take this slowly. 

You're calling this guy a 'pathetic, whiny bitch' because he's going through some rough times. And because there are worse things in the world, that means his issues are non-issues? Let me ask you this then, would you tell me that starving kids have it better than children who are forced to carry arms and go to war because, after all, they're just starving. It's a non-issue, there are worse things in the world.

Your train of thought makes no sense, who are you to judge what's worse. Yes, there are worse things going on in the world than a guy going through depression but that doesn't immediately  make his issues any smaller. It's like you're saying that there can only be one thing wrong in the world at once. It doesn't work like that. 

And let me ask you this. Just because you were told off for feeling moody when you were 14, and it instantly made you realize that "Oh shit. I'm just fooling myself", does that automatically mean that it's the same case for everyone? No. No it doesn't. In fact, if you were so easily swayed by such a speech, wasn't it you who was whiny then?

There's a reason people don't open up about how they feel to other people. That reason is people like you who instantly label them as some idiot who just has to cheer up. Stop it. Seriously. You're not helping anyone with your Internet tough guy speech. If you've got nothing better to say then clear off.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#100  Edited By Vinny_Says

1) Never post your feelings on the internet
2) Your parents not being "there" for you because you think they don't care is bullshit, you came out her vagina, I doubt she just doesn't give a shit. 
3) Are you an only child?
4) Never post your feelings on the internet