• 82 results
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Gizmo

I currently go to College, 5 days a week, 6AM-6PM. When I get back i'm exhausted, irritable and hungry like a beast. 
My Mum is currently unemployed, and is a good cook (when she wants to be), however, she seems to think that me asking for food is the epitomey of rudeness, and has not cooked food for over a month. We live in a tiny village, with no takeaways, and the nearest grocery store is a 40 minute drive. There is NEVER any ingredients at home, and I almost always end up eating beans on toast for supper/tea.

I guess I expect her to buy ingredients during the day when i'm at College and make me some food when I get back, am I stupid to think this?

No Caption Provided
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Gizmo

I currently go to College, 5 days a week, 6AM-6PM. When I get back i'm exhausted, irritable and hungry like a beast. 
My Mum is currently unemployed, and is a good cook (when she wants to be), however, she seems to think that me asking for food is the epitomey of rudeness, and has not cooked food for over a month. We live in a tiny village, with no takeaways, and the nearest grocery store is a 40 minute drive. There is NEVER any ingredients at home, and I almost always end up eating beans on toast for supper/tea.

I guess I expect her to buy ingredients during the day when i'm at College and make me some food when I get back, am I stupid to think this?

No Caption Provided
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2  Edited By Suicrat

Yeah, dude, make your own damn food. If you want something done you have to do it yourself. You don't want to grow dependent on your mother for food this late in your relationship with her (I'm assuming your within a couple years of moving out since you're in college), because soon enough you'll be living on your own, and when you get home from a hard day's work, the brick wall outside your apartment isn't going to make food for you either, might as well get used to it now.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Hitchenson

Yes, they should. A good woman is a woman in the kitchen. And if they're not in the kitchen they should be meeting the end of a fist.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By turbomonkey138
@Hitchenson: Good old fashioned values there >_<
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Men should definitely not expect women to cook for them. As for your mom, though, what you say seems to suggest that she used to cook for you all the time, but for the last month has completely stopped. Maybe something is wrong. Maybe she's upset about something. You should try talking to her. Also, dude, maybe try cooking for her some nights. I bet she'd appreciate it and would be more happy to cook for you sometimes.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hitchenson
@TheGreatGuero said:

"  > dude cooking...  "

What is this I don't even-
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By gingertastic_10

If this was the 1950s I'd say yes.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Out_On_Bail

This reminds me of a joke. 

Why are women's feet so small? So they can stand closer to the kitchen sink. bada-dum-tish 

Go buy college people food. Ramen, bread and lunchmeat. That's like 5 bucks and can feed you throughout college. One of the reasons for college is to learn how to be self-sufficient. Start to stand on your own two feet.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ninjakiller

Shifting gender roles means that you're going to have to cook for yourself.    As far as your little pic, show that to woman you want to have sex with and see how long you're left out in the cold.

Edit: Also, learning how to cook and cooking a great meal for a date is a guaranteed panty peeler.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GunnBjorn

You're living in a small village, you say. 
I guess the local priest has still a lot of influence on you people if it comes to the biblical morale regarding women's role in the family. 
But i do sympathize with you to some extend. 
Since she's unemployed, the least she can do is to make sure the larder is full and prepare a meal once in a while. 
What is she doing with all the extra time at her hand? 
Off course, i'm not intimate with your household situation, and frankly, i don't want to know. 
A little heart-to-heart might work miracles...
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By crusader8463

wow. Learn to cook. It's not hard. And i agree with your mom, if your old enough to go to college then you should be old enough to cook your own dam food.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jimbo

If you were paying the bills, sure.  As you're only a student then no.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CL60

No

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RetroIce4

No. You can't cook can you?

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By guiseppe

Short answer: Yes. In no way is it ok for any man to expect a woman to do his cooking for him.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By Icemael
@Hitchenson said:
" Yes, they should. A good woman is a woman in the kitchen. And if they're not in the kitchen they should be meeting the end of a fist. "
Or doing the laundry.
RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RipTheVeins

The only way that it's still acceptable to "expect" a girl to cook for a guy is if they compromise house-hold chores and she ends up with cooking and the guy ends up with washing dishes every night, or something along those lines, but even that is a flawed way to look at it.

Psykerstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Psykerstar

I do from my mom or Grand mother but not from my Girl Friend

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont think it should be expected or anything, but maybe you should ask your mom if she could go buy things at the grocery store because your at school and all. Then you could at least have the option of making some food for yourself.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By eroticfishcake

If you expect people to do anything for you then that's just...horrible of you!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Team Fortress 2 manages to squeeze every awesome stereotype in the world into a single computer game. Are there any women in this game? Fuck no.

CONCENTRATE.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ahriman22

YES, SHE'S YOUR MOTHER.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond

Not by your age.  My mom rarely cooked for me when I was a kid...

Your mom's not your slave.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By rjayb89

Get food on the way back and treat her for dinner.  Give her the old fat ninja staff after.

Edit:  Oops, thought it was your wife or girlfriend.  Silly me.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@ahriman22 said:
" YES, SHE'S YOUR MOTHER. "
I pretty much agree with that.  But at your age, you could help with the cooking or something...
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By ajamafalous
@rjayb89 said:
" Get food on the way back and treat her for dinner.  Give her the old fat ninja staff after. "
OH GOD
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By KaosAngel

If my girlfriend isn't in the kitchen when I get home, I let her know who pays the bills.  I man up and tell to get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich while I play Uncharted 2.  She understands that she is a woman, and it's her duty...if she fails, she must commit the honor of taking her life for failing.   Knowing this, she is a good cook and every dinner satisfies me with some of the best foods.  I'm the luckiest guy in the world.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28  Edited By wefwefasdf

Considering she is un-employed, I don't think what you're asking for is too much. She is your mother and all. You shouldn't expect it but mom's normally wants to do that sort of thing. At least mine does. And yes, I am perfectly capable of cooking for myself. I can cook a 5 course meal over a campfire. :p

Does your mom have a hobby or something?

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By flaminghobo

If my mum is out, I cook for myself. It's not that hard.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

My mommy still cooks for me when I see her ^_^

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Hamst3r

It sounds like your mom thinks you're lazy. I suggest making a list (mentally is fine) of all the chores and household task you and your mom have and compare them to see who's doing all the work. If she's doing most of the work, perhaps you can start doing more of the chores and she'll feel more inclined to cook for you. If you get the list done and they're even, she's just being a twat and you can call her on it or move out.

Oh and you can always kill her and cook her for dinner. A human body should last you a while if you segment it up and keep the meat in the freezer.

As for the actual question, no. You shouldn't expect anything. If it works out that way, great, if it doesn't oh well. In my life so far; stuff like cooking, laundry, dishes, etc have been done by women because they don't like how I do them. "fine, then you do em.", I say. :P

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Branthog

I don't want to be an asshole to you, but . . . GROW THE FUCK UP.

You're college-aged and not only living at home (which is more than gracious enough of your parents, if you ask me) but you expect them to also provide you with groceries and cooked meals? Get over your fucking self. Be grateful that they're giving you a place to live long after you should have been out of the nest -- and possibly that they're even helping you with college expenses. Your parents should have you off their hands and be enjoying themselves while you take care of your own living situation, food, transportation, groceries and other things. You know, stuff that adults have to do. Seeing as if you're in college, you're probably an adult.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shadow

Depends on who works and who doesn't.  I'd say whichever one stays home while the other goes to work, is in charge of making food.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ieatlions

you schould learn to cook great survival skill for the pending zombie apocalypse.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By breadfan

Anyone making food for you is usually a good thing, but I also do not mind cooking.   

I actually enjoy it most of the time.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By DanielJW
@KaosAngel said:
" If my girlfriend isn't in the kitchen when I get home, I let her know who pays the bills.  I man up and tell to get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich while I play Uncharted 2.  She understands that she is a woman, and it's her duty...if she fails, she must commit the honor of taking her life for failing.   Knowing this, she is a good cook and every dinner satisfies me with some of the best foods.  I'm the luckiest guy in the world. "
Japan sounds incredible.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By Gunner

Does your mom:
Do your Laundry?
Pay the bills?
Clean the house?
take the trash out?
Clean the dishes?
Buy food? 

If you said yes to any of these, than cook your own damn food.

MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MrAwsum

I'm constantly Making bacon sandwhiches for myself, I lived off them for like a week. 
Mainly my mom cooks for me though

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Growing up my dad has always been the worker, and my mum unemployed. My mum was a firm believer that when a man gets home from a hard days work, the least she can do is have the house tidy and dinner cooked for him. It was in no way my dad demanding food of her, she WANTED to have a meal prepared so he could wind down, have a meal and go to bed.

I see absolutely no problem with this and I wish more women had the same attitude. I don't mean this in a cruel way at all, and I would never get angry at a woman for not having a meal prepared when I get home... I just wish it was more common because I think if a woman is unemployed, it's a nice thing to do.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Gunner said:

" Does your mom: Do your Laundry? Pay the bills? Clean the house? take the trash out? Clean the dishes? Buy food?    If you said yes to any of these, than cook your own damn food. "

This. 

She may not be serving you with food but he is serving you tough love, and perhaps with good reason. It's perfectly normal that a mother wishes to nurture her children, even when they are old enough to look after themselves. so it's sounds to me like she's doing this for a good reason. 
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By VWGTI

Nah, nothing like that should be expected. We live in 2009.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dbz1995

Learn to cook some stuff, whatever you think-because you made it, in your mind, it will always taste better-unless you are that awful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbz1995 said:
" Learn to cook some stuff, whatever you think-because you made it, in your mind, it will always taste better-unless you are that awful. "
I disagree. I can cook (not amazingly, but I can cook more than adequately for myself), but nothing beats my mums home cooking. One of the only good things (apart from being able to save massive amounts of money) about moving back home.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MetalGearSunny

You're in college, dude. She shouldn't have to cook for you. Grow up!

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

The best way to pick up chicks is to learn how to cook. You won't have to cook every night or anything, but being able to cook every once in awhile makes a woman feel appreciated for what she does in the kitchen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

My mom cooks for me as I live at home and go to school, but if she stopped I'd cook my own.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@KaosAngel said:
" If my girlfriend isn't in the kitchen when I get home, I let her know who pays the bills.  I man up and tell to get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich while I play Uncharted 2.  She understands that she is a woman, and it's her duty...if she fails, she must commit the honor of taking her life for failing.   Knowing this, she is a good cook and every dinner satisfies me with some of the best foods.  I'm the luckiest guy in the world. "
She must have forgot to clean your apartment : P
nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By nrain

Parents make the food for the children, the way it should be. 

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Crocio

@Gizmo
Look. You are an adult, your mother is stressing out about what seems to be your potential for independent living(could you elaborate maybe?).
You are asking for a task, which adults normally complete themselves, from your mother. 
At this point, your personal perception of the demand's validity are absolutely meaningless, per your (seemingly) only access to comfortable food is cut off.
The solution is, you have to man up and take responsibility for your own comfort in the food you eat. This means, planning out your groceries and what to cook
so you can minimize the amount of trips to take to the grocery's down to once per week.
It's obvious that your mother is trying to send a message to you, and I suggest you pay attention to its implications. 

As for the question; there is no general answer, it would vary depending on individuals' roles in a household. 
However, in the case of young adults like yourself, I would generally give a strong no. Students need to learn to live independently and with low expectations. :P

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By luce

my moms cooking has gotten awful over the years so i take that as a sign to cook my own food.