Should Social Justice Warriors Rally Against Avril Lavigne?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By EquitasInvictus

This is actually a thread about how much I think Tomoko Kawase (Tommy heavenly6) does old school Avril Lavigne better than Avril Lavigne, but apparently Avril recently attempted the reverse with a song entitled "Hello Kitty." Before you lock this thread as YT spam just hear me out: I'm not actually going to post the YouTube video on this post! I have a serious question. I wanted to confer with those social justice warriors out there and ask if this is as racist as it seems like western media has been reporting it? (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/avril-lavigne-laughs-racist-backlash-kitty-video-article-1.1767265) Full disclosure: I'm not a big fan of the NY Daily News.

The way I see it, this is almost the reverse of what Tomoko Kawase did almost a decade ago when she was unsatisfied about her image and went for something more contemporary back then. When she changed it up and went from Tommy february6 to Tommy heavenly6 I feel like some duders were out there all like "Tommy is Japanese Avril Lavigne," whether their feedback was positive or negative. Her band members were also mostly white males, interestingly enough.

Now we see Avril Lavigne emulating the extremely strange niche of Japanese music videos that are dominated by Tomoko ala Tommy february6 and Kyary. From what I've looked up, apparently most of Avril's current fans are Japanese, which could've potentially inspired this music video that appears to be homage?

But is it homage or is it really racist?

There is one thing I can say for certain. Tommy february6 was covered by @jeff and "Midnight Brown," Avril Lavigne wasn't. Obviously, Avril is a lifetime too late to even hope to compare to Tomoko Kawase!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I think this song is prejudiced against washed up ex-pop stars because it's so bad. Musicians who are past their time have a stereotype of making bad attempts at cultural relevance and the way this song hews to that stereotype is obviously racist.

Translation: A) Stereotypes are not racism B) That song fucking sucks C) Avril Lavigne has aged a lot better than I'd have guessed.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By The_Ruiner

From what I read, she went to Tokyo and hired a bunch of people in theTokyo music video industry to make her a Japanese style music video. It seems more like an homage that doesn't really work.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Tomoko was a rock goddess in her original group the Brilliant Green long before Avril was a blip on the radar...

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

As a noted social justice warrior, know that we are amassing an army as we speak. We soon shall unleash a force that neither Avril Lavigne or Chad Kroeger have ever seen before. You have been warned.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Should Social Justice Warriors...

Should stop referring to themselves as social justice warriors. Throwing fits on the echo chamber that is tumblr isn't exactly fighting battles.

Hey come on now those Twitter hashtag activists are accomplishing a whole lot...

... of nothing.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By splodge

@ben_h said:

@drpeatore said:

Should stop referring to themselves as social justice warriors. Throwing fits on the echo chamber that is tumblr isn't exactly fighting battles.

Hey come on now those Twitter hashtag activists are accomplishing a whole lot...

... of nothing.

It's armchair campaign bullshit at it's worst. People who are apathetic about everything get to pretend they are not for 150 characters of time. UGH.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Slacktivism....because finding shit to get offended by and whining about it on the internet fixes everything.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slacktivism....because finding shit to get offended by and whining about it on the internet fixes everything.

We should start a #SUCKTIVISM campaign and....

....oh...shit.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh brother ..... take it as you will.Sigh

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

From everything I heard the execution was that of a homage. She didn't do this video in North America. She went to Japan and the dude who directed the video is Japanese. The outcome isn't very good but I can't really fault the spirit of what she's trying to do.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a really bad song that's for sure but racist? I wouldn't go that far. To be fair, I had to mute the video at some point so maybe she was throwing out some hardcore racial hatred.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hatking

@milkman said:

As a noted social justice warrior, know that we are amassing an army as we speak. We soon shall unleash a force that neither Avril Lavigne or Chad Kroeger have ever seen before. You have been warned.

I just sharpened up my battleaxe, Palinbane. I'm ready to behead the socially ignorant.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I like how in all Tommy Janurary6 video she looks completely lost in her own music video.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:

@ben_h said:

@drpeatore said:

... of nothing.

It's armchair campaign bullshit at it's worst. People who are apathetic about everything get to pretend they are not for 150 characters of time. UGH.

Social Justice Warrior is a pejorative. No-one refers to themselves as that. Dick heads who are trying to cut people down use that term.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By rorie

Alright, this thread's quickly becoming another sarcastic rant against SJWs, so going to lock it. Honestly, you guys should just stop using that phrase if you expect to start a conversation that goes anywhere. I've never seen anyone apply it to themselves outside of ironic appropriation of what's almost always used as an insult, and more often than not the debate around its use is a distraction from what could be interesting discussions about social issues. The last three or four posts here (when I started writing this) are just snarky comments on internet activism instead of the issue raised in the original post, and that trend seems to be pretty prevalent whenever the SJW rubric starts getting thrown around, so: locked. If you guys want to discuss this stuff try actually discussing it and not just throwing around eye-rolly comments about people on Tumblr, because that shit is fucking old.