Shouldn't Whiskey Media make a music site?

• 105 results
Avatar image for thegeniousplayer
TheGeniousPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheGeniousPlayer

Just a random thought. Shouldn't Whiskey Media make a music site? I mean, they have a movie site, manga/anime site, and even a comic site, why not a music site? I`d love to share my opinion on music with a great community like Giant Bomb without having to post on a gaming site. Doesn't it sound like a good idea or what?

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By DeeGee

I think they need to start making money before they go around launching new sites.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Barrock

I want a wrestling site so damn badly.

Zephyire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Zephyire

I feel like there's enough music sites already. It mightn't do so well.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cheesebob

I agree but I don't see how videos and stuff can come into it

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There are plans to launch new websites in the future. Books, music and food are all things that have been mentioned in passing by various staff members, although none of them are guaranteed. But it's going to take time. Whiskey Media is still a relatively small business compared to some of the big sites out there.. You can't just click your fingers and instantly make websites.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By FilipHolm

I've been thinking that too!! It would be awesome, with news, and interviews and stuff..  But like DeeGee said, I think money might be an issue..

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ChickenPants

I don't want them to do a music site. There's enough music sites as it is. Plus, it would really rely on the calibre of people they bring in to do it. No offense to the guys currently working here but I don't really want the Whiskey Media Family to act as music critics. As much as I like Screened I'd like if they got people who were more knowledgeable and more experienced to work for them.

jarryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jarryd

the problem with a music site is that it would be really hard to cater to all the audiences of every different genre, and they cant exactly pick just one or two genres to focus on either.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FilipHolm
@ChickenPants: But that's what would make the site cool, you know? The Whiskey media dudes with their relaxed attitude and sense of humor... I would want that more than some douche telling me what to think of a certain album or whatever..
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Elazul

I've been harping on this since they got Navarro onboard. Come on guys, make it happen!

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By harinosho
@MattyFTM said:

There are plans to launch new websites in the future. Books, music and food are all things that have been mentioned in passing by various staff members, although none of them are guaranteed. But it's going to take time. Whiskey Media is still a relatively small business compared to some of the big sites out there.. You can't just click your fingers and instantly make websites.

Agreeing with The mod. Music sites are done.. , books site would be interesting (however i think comic vine could take over) , food however..seems like a good mix... the great collaboration food, video games, comics and anime (optional), they could feed off each other.  

Tested: good for tech advice. 

Giantbomb : good for video games to be used on that tech 

Comic Vine: Good for things to do while waiting on something to be done while you're tech or video games are busy doing stuff. 

Anime Vice : used for maybe when you're downloading or installing and really dont want to read? 

Food: for all of the above  

good dieting plans could come out from a food website for people that do..the things we do..
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#13  Edited By alistercat

There's a book site coming, but everyone suggests a music site several times a month. I think they are well aware of it. Dave has experience with music site's which is probably why he might be aprehensive.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By mfpantst
@MattyFTM: click- oh damn.  That doesn't work?  oh.
diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By diz

I was thinking perhaps they should ditch the sites that aren't performing so well and concentrate on driving traffic and resource to improve their "flagship" site instead.

I've tried to enjoy the other sites, but Giantbomb is the only site that has interesting content for me. I am worried that there seems to be too much stagnation going on and not enough invention...

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By YoThatLimp

@AlisterCat said:

There's a book site coming, but everyone suggests a music site several times a month. I think they are well aware of it. Dave has experience with music site's which is probably why he might be aprehensive.

I can't see a book site working, how does a site with 2 people keep content flowing every week about books?

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ChickenPants
@Metalideth said:

@AlisterCat said:

I can't see a book site working, how does a site with 2 people keep content flowing every week about books?

Can't see it working either. Don't want the rest of WM butting in on that one also..
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By penguindust

I like the idea of a food site since I believe all of us could contribute equally to something like that.  The problem I have with music is that there are too many niches and not enough interest to cover them properly.  So, a Whiskey music site would wind up with pages devoted to metal and Pink Floyd and nothing in most other genres.  Country is really popular in the mainstream but not with a significant number of members around here.  The same is true of jazz, soul, standards, and so forth.  I just can't see any music site being competitive when compared to the multitudes of others around.   There would be too many gaping holes in the information provided.

Really, I am still of the mind that they need to concentrate on the sites they have running now before adding more to the mix.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#19  Edited By alistercat

@ChickenPants said:

@Metalideth said:

@AlisterCat said:

Can't see it working either. Don't want the rest of WM butting in on that one also..

Will Smith and Mike Tatum confirmed it months ago. It could be a wiki structured site, like Anime Vice. Ethan has discussed how he thinks personality driven sites and wiki sites are both valid for Whiskey Media.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#20  Edited By citizenkane

They just need to bring back Political Base.

A man can dream, though. A man can dream.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ArcLyte

a car enthusiast site would make me squeal with joy.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dany

@ArcLyte said:

they had that. boompa.com

it died

I just want a book site asap so I can slaughter everyone with my knowledge on girl with the dragon tattoo

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By YoThatLimp

@AlisterCat said:

@ChickenPants said:

@Metalideth said:

@AlisterCat said:

Will Smith and Mike Tatum confirmed it months ago. It could be a wiki structured site, like Anime Vice. Ethan has discussed how he thinks personality driven sites and wiki sites are both valid for Whiskey Media.

I get that it is coming, but I don't think it will work. I do believe all of Whiskey Media personality driven sites draw more traffic than Anime Vice.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ArcLyte
DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By DjCmeP

Yeah. I'd like it if they'd make a music website cause I want to make a list of all my albums. But there isn't much they could do in video format so there really wouldn't be a point in creating a site dedicated to music since there already exists so many music websites in TEH INTERNETZ.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hwy_61

I vote for a food site!!

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ArcLyte
@Dany said:

@ArcLyte said:

they had that. boompa.com

it died

I just want a book site asap so I can slaughter everyone with my knowledge on girl with the dragon tattoo

ah, i wasn't aware of this. thanks for the info.
Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Phr4nk0

I know it's been said plenty of times but I hope they do a music site. There may be a few others out there but the whiskey community driven wiki style would put it apart. That and all the music sites I've seen I haven't liked and always have holes in discographies and missing bios.
YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By YoThatLimp

@elsuperdonut said:

I vote for a food site!!

I would be down for this though! I don't think a podcast would work, but this would still be a great video content generating site!

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I can already imagine the Gucci Gucci page.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By inkerman

Now a food site would be really cool, especially if it was mixed with other things, like party advice, neat gadgets and things for the kitchen, and in addition to a wiki about certain foods, there could be a recipe part, where users submit recipes, and people can try them out, and then rate them.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uniform

I want a top hat and monocle site.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
@Metalideth said:

@AlisterCat said:

@ChickenPants said:

@Metalideth said:

@AlisterCat said:

I get that it is coming, but I don't think it will work. I do believe all of Whiskey Media personality driven sites draw more traffic than Anime Vice.

I think a book site could maybe work. Definitely would need like a "book club" or something to try to keep the community involved. I'd be interested in it. 

A music site would be terrible though. I love music; I hate reading comments about music. More so than almost any other medium it seems to always devolve into the worst kinds of "[X band] sucks!!" drivel regardless of the general levelheadedness of the community.
Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Dylabaloo

No. Tested doesn't even have the new site layout or wiki. They should concentrate on making the current sites perfect.

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Solemn

If they launch a music site, I'm sure that the forums will be crazy. Really damn crazy.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CheapPoison

I think music is way too diverse to cover just in one website.

Most website that focus on just one genre don't even cover everything.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho

It'd just be another site they neglect while the supposed editors there end up doing more shit for Giantbomb.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hockeymask27
@Barrock said:

my thoughts exactly.
Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Monk

As long as there great personalities behind it, not just because it's "cool". No half baked sites.

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

I was thinking the the same thing a couple months ago but then I always get this image:  

Music site member: the sites doing very well Ryan

Ryan: so how's that miley cyrus cd (with a big smile on his face) 

so I don't see that happening anytime soon
Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shabs

I love music more than video games, but it's such a personal thing that I don't know if I want to read other's opinions on it.

The barrier to entry is so low now that CD prices have dropped that I don't need to read a review to buy an album. I just go buy any album I'm interested in and if it's bad, oh well, and if it's not, then there's a cool sense of discovery. If I'm unsure I can go listen to a few tracks off an artist's MySpace page or website or whatever.

Now if a Whiskey Music site was more about the artistry of music-making or news about the industry, then I'd totally be down and would read it regularly.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By CastroCasper

Every 4 weeks someone brings up a music site. If you really think about it, its a bad idea.

ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ErrorOperator

I think WM should stay away from making a community focused music website. Music is incredibly subjective and there is already enough internet snobbery surrounding it anyway.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By Brendan

I want them to hire more talent and put more oomph behind the websites that they already have. Who am I to say though?

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Karl_Boss

Yes....and if they did I would be a lot less active here.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By wrighteous86

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@Metalideth said:

@AlisterCat said:

@ChickenPants said:

@Metalideth said:

@AlisterCat said:

I think a book site could maybe work. Definitely would need like a "book club" or something to try to keep the community involved. I'd be interested in it. A music site would be terrible though. I love music; I hate reading comments about music. More so than almost any other medium it seems to always devolve into the worst kinds of "[X band] sucks!!" drivel regardless of the general levelheadedness of the community.

I was under the impression that they were making a book site and a music site, too. I asked Ethan about that a week ago and he said it's not happening, at least not any time soon. They're just pie-in-the-sky hopes for the future. Nothing is actually in the works.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iam3green

i don't know if that would be that great. maybe, i do think they need to make money from people before they can launch another website.

isn't anime vice, dead or something? i don't go there but people say that it's dead.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cookiemonster

Yeah I'd love a music site, but the forums would probably be a shithole. Just be loads of threads like 'Y ARE (enter band name) SO SHIT?!!111' and '(Enter band name) ARE BETTER THAN (enter another band name)'.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Aetheldod

Before making more sites they should improve on the ones they already have , specially the neglected Anime Vice

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By TheHBK
@Barrock said:

Fucking this!  Me, you and Jeff, let's fucking do it! 

Also, as for a music site?  Ummm, Alex + Music Site?  Fuck no.  It will have podcasts dedicated to make us lowly mortals feel like we don't know shit about music.