#1 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -

Due to the recent release of Space Marine, there may be more people getting interested in the table top version so why not have a place to show off your own real live stuff? It can be Warhammer, 40K, Warmachine, Hordes, Infinity, whatever you want. Lets see it.

I'm new and not real great at the hobby but here's some of my stuff anyway. Most of these are still works in progress.

Halo Dragon Terminators

Halo Dragon Terminators
Ork Warboss
 Ork Nobz
 Crisis Suit conversion
#2 Posted by Mmmslash (2165 posts) -
I know it's not REALLY in the spirit of what you meant, but I had my tWoD stuff on me, so...  

I have another 20 books or so, but for playing a non-Supe mortal, the Blue Book is all you need. Also featured: One of my old D&D d10/0's! 
#3 Posted by ervonymous (1226 posts) -

Dang, I'm not interested in the tabletop game but I'd love to give painting miniatures a try. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

#4 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -
@Mmmslash
Hey works for me dude, all tabletop all the time in here! Thats how we do.
#5 Posted by Mmmslash (2165 posts) -
@TheSouthernDandy: I like you, you're okay.
#6 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -

You painted those yourself?  If so, nice work.

#7 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4479 posts) -

Goddammit.

I haven't painted for like a year but this makes me want to get back into it hard.

Still have a box of Space Wolves that need some loving...

#8 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -
@Mmmslash: Hey man, back at ya.

@Spoonman671:  Yes sir. Thanks! :)

@GunslingerPanda: Do it. Do iiiiiit. The sons of Russ are calling...
#9 Posted by Mowgers (374 posts) -

An Infinity mini I did for a friend. An example of my better work, I always seem to do my best stuff for other people...

#10 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -
@Mowgers: Dude that mini is sick. Nice work. I've been wanting to get into Infinity they have some real nice models.
#11 Posted by optimusprime223 (395 posts) -

This thread is making me wish I didnt get rid of my 40k stuff years ago!

#12 Posted by SoylentGreen (254 posts) -

I'd post some of my stuff (mostly Fantasy, some 40K), but I don't really have access to a good camera at the moment. The work posted so far is awesome, though!

#13 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

I'd love to get into WH40k but I lack the free time and expendable cash required.

I do love ogling other people's custom minis however.

#14 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4479 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

HNNNNNNGGGGG. Would be so fun to build and paint that SW-exclusive Dreadnought, too.

I also have an army of Skaven that's nearly complete, just have a Plague Furnace left to pain then it's done.

Really like the colour scheme of your Terminators, btw. How'd you get that shade of green?

#15 Posted by Stubert73 (82 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy
A) Awesome profile pic
B) Great looking pieces. 
I never played the game, but painted the figurines back when they were still made of lead/pewter.  I never got them looking as sharp as the ones you posted, but had a blast trying. Keep it up.

#16 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

HNNNNNNGGGGG. Would be so fun to build and paint that SW-exclusive Dreadnought, too.

I also have an army of Skaven that's nearly complete, just have a Plague Furnace left to pain then it's done.

Really like the colour scheme of your Terminators, btw. How'd you get that shade of green?

Gracias, I used P3 paints, the line from Privateer Press. I wanted to give them a shot to see how they were. The dark green is Battledress Green and the lighter khaki is Hammerfall Khaki with Badab Black wash over it. 
@Stubert73
Thanks dude :) you should get back into it.
#17 Edited by GunslingerPanda (4479 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Gracias, I used P3 paints, the line from Privateer Press. I wanted to give them a shot to see how they were. The dark green is Battledress Green and the lighter khaki is Hammerfall Khaki with Badab Black wash over it.

Ah yeah, I've heard of P3 paints but never tried them. I just find it easier to get the bus to GW and buy theirs, I guess.

Here's some of my work, don't laugh (also apologies for the shit camera, it's my phone):

The UK Game Day 09? Model - A Warrior of Chaos, I think?

Blah, the editors being a bitch, might have to upload them into individual posts if this doesn't work...

Some Space Wolves Grey Hunters which I painted each individually. Each one took like a week, which was exhausting.

Fucking hell. Dear Giant Bomb: Your post editor is a piece of shit. Feel ashamed.

#18 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -

They seem to be pretty good but yeah I'm the same I mostly use GWs stuff. As much as that company annoys me sometimes its easy to get and works well.

You wont hear me laughing those look awesome. Love Njal, he looks great.

#19 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -
For the greater good!
#20 Posted by SerHulse (680 posts) -

This made me want to get back into buying and painting Warhammer, I used to years ago, if I can find them again I'll show them, though keep in mind I was about 14-15 when I did them so they will look terrible! :)

I remember making up my own Chaos Space Marine Legion, complete with colour schemes, backstory and army compositions, making up reasons why certain units were present, such good times, unfortunately for me and my friends it became too expensive a hobby to continue.

Now though, I just spent the past 2 hours picking out all of the models, paints and tools I want to start up again.

#21 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -
@TheSouthernDandy:  

You seem pretty good at it to me!
#22 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

I love this thread.

Don't play Warhammer or 40K myself or paint any minis, and all my D&D, Star Wars Minis, and HeroClix are back home. If I ever get the chance (and this thread lives on for a while) I'll set up a couple of epic battle shots with the minis, though.

#23 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Warhammer 40K is one of those things I wish I was into, because it seems like something I could really enjoy, but it never quite clicked for some reason.

#24 Posted by Otuz (4 posts) -

Here's some of mine, I have some older stuff on my DeviantArt page too.

An Eldar Autarch.
A Terminator Chaplain (just a plastic terminator but shh).
#25 Posted by nemt (863 posts) -

Warhammer 40k is a really cool universe but it seems very inaccessible apart from the videogames.

#26 Posted by Fattony12000 (6350 posts) -
@nemt said:

Warhammer 40k is a really cool universe but it seems very inaccessible apart from the videogames.

Just read a few books, Cain's shit eating grin is highly accessible 
#27 Posted by Mnemoidian (944 posts) -

Still needs some work...

#28 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4479 posts) -

Goddamn this thread, after a year's absence from painting I've just started work on my Plague Furnace! I blame you, Giant Bomb!

What's everyone's favourite model to paint? I personally love the Space Wolves Grey Hunters as they're so detailed for plastic and there's near infinite customization as they come with so many bits.

#29 Posted by StealthRaptor (525 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda: Orkz. Always Orkz.
#30 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -
@Bruce: Thanks dude :)

Love seeing everyones work on here, this stuff looks great.
@GunslingerPanda
So far I've only painted SM's and Orks, but I really wanna put together a Tau army. I think I might put the other guys on hold and do that.
@Vodun: For the Greater Good indeed!
#31 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4479 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@GunslingerPanda:
So far I've only painted SM's and Orks, but I really wanna put together a Tau army. I think I might put the other guys on hold and do that.

Yeah I love mechas so I kinda wanna do a Tau army too, but I just don't like most of the designs for them when compared with stuff like Warmachine or Infinity.

#32 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@GunslingerPanda:

Yeah I love mechas so I kinda wanna do a Tau army too, but I just don't like most of the designs for them when compared with stuff like Warmachine or Infinity.

Yeah some of that Infinity stuff is super cool. I've been sucked in to 40K though so it's hard to break out. Im strictly a fluff guy I haven't actually played the game. Considering my love for Tau, that's probably good, from what I understand they're pretty crap right now. 
I just love me those Crisis Suits. And Broadsides are one of my favorite units in the game.
#33 Edited by FateOfNever (1758 posts) -

I've got a half-assembled Tau army sitting off on a shelf somewhere. Had been interested in it for a while, a friend of mine started getting into it, and convinced me to take the plunge and buy some models, and then proceeded to never play the game with me or teach me how to play it or anything. So, I never bothered finishing any of them, or painting any of them. Actually, I've been kind of tempted to paint what I already have assembled recently after watching that props guy during the BLLSL. Though, after seeing the rather nice paint jobs so far in this thread... I have a feeling whatever I turned out I'd feel rather embarrassed by... Soo.... maybe I'll still paint them, but, I bet I'll feel rather ashamed about whatever mediocre/poor job I end up doing.

#34 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4479 posts) -

Oh, and here is my Ork Warboss from a few years ago when I was first getting into this stuff:

@TheSouthernDandy: LOL, I'm like the opposite of you: I find the fluff to be dreadful, but love the game.

#35 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -
@FateOfNever: You should give it a shot, just watch some tutorials and read some help articles, that's what I did. You pick stuff up pretty quick. I painted a few test models and then did those Terminators in my first post, they seemed to turn out alright. Getting decent brushes and watering down your paint seems to be pretty important, at least for me it helped a ton.

@GunslingerPanda
Haha I really wanna play it but none of my friends are into it. I'm trying to get them into it slowly. I don't know what it is about the fluff but I love it. Occasionally the whole 'grimdark' thing gets a little bit much but I just love how over the top everything is.
#36 Posted by QKT (246 posts) -

i used to do 40k about 10 years ago, they were terrible, but i wouldnt mind getting back into it with better hand eye coordination. 
i do have one or two pewter models laying around somewhere...

#37 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -
GB isn't letting me upload images :(

I particularly recommend the Nobz section. Unfortunately I haven't done any modeling in a year, and my two best projects remain incomplete. Just to give you a hint, what do you get when you kit-bash a box of Gargoyles with a box of Boyz? Awesomeness.
#38 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

I know nothing about Warhammer, but all of you guys are really good at painting these!

#39 Posted by jewunit (1051 posts) -

I played Eldar way back when, but I never had the artistic talent or patience to paint the figures well.  You folks showing off your figures should be proud of your efforts.  It takes a long time to get a single figure painted in the kind of details you have.  

My favorite guy in the Warhammer 40K lore was Commisar Yarrick.  His big, nasty lobster claw of a hand and his laser eye make him instantly enthralling.  I would love to read a book about the guy if one existed.

#40 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -

@Mnemoidian: No it doesn't, just melt that fucker down and be done with him.

#41 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I think I would like this, but I would probbaly spend way to much money on it so I'll stY away.

#42 Edited by gike987 (1720 posts) -

Why did you have post this thread? It makes me want to paint miniatures again and I really don't have money for both this and video games.

#43 Posted by TheHT (10266 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:

Oh, and here is my Ork Warboss from a few years ago when I was first getting into this stuff:

@TheSouthernDandy: LOL, I'm like the opposite of you: I find the fluff to be dreadful, but love the game.

Fuck yeah Buzz Lightyear mug!

These all look awesome.
#44 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1722 posts) -
@Mnemoidian: Love that miniature, I'm guessing it's Sanguinius? It's been a while since I played the tabletop game, but my go-to army was always the Blood Angels...I saw some of those new models and have been severely tempted. 
#45 Posted by Mnemoidian (944 posts) -

@Vodun: Oh. Just you wait.

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: Close! Actually, it's a Sanguinary Guard (carrying the chapter banner) - a new, elite unit (usually comes in groups of 5, didn't post the others as they aren't this polished) introduced in the new codex (released last year) - they are kind of like a mix between jump-pack honorguard and assault terminators. Very cool unit, and very powerful - if somewhat gaudy.

They can make an awesome distraction, though :)

#46 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Haven't played in forever, but I still have my Marine and Chaos armies sitting around.

I'm actually hoping to write for Black Library (I have several 40K submissions hopefully being considered atm), and I find painting or even just looking at the minis. helps me get in the right mindset.

I'll take some photos in the next couple of days. I have a full Company of my Lords of Midnight Chapter, about a half Company of my Heart Eaters Chapter, and a small Renegade warband consisting of an Alpha Legion Lord, a few Chosen, and multiple squads of different homebrew renegade Chapters.

I'm actually really considering getting back into it and collecting a truescale Executioners force...or maybe Night Lords. Hmmm...

#47 Posted by Sitoxity (551 posts) -

I <3 this thread already.

This is just a couple of shots of my WIP Blood Angels. (2 Assault Squads, 1 Tactical Squad, 1 Devastator Squad, 1 Sternguard Veteran Squad, 1 Death Company, 1 Rhino, 1 Furioso Dreadnought, 1 Sanguinary Guard Standard Bearer).

I have a bunch in my case that I'll try and get a few good pictures of. Most of them are fully completed, but some I'm not 100% happy with just yet. I also may try and get my camera working to take GOOD pictures. Apologies for the low quality.

I also have a couple of Fantasy Dark Elves (Corsairs and Cold One Knights) and I have Old School Dark Eldar somewhere...

#48 Posted by Mnemoidian (944 posts) -

@Vodun: Tell me more about this "Greater good" of yours.

( ... trying to get better at free-hand painting before I fill in Chapter Symbols and such...)

#49 Posted by Sitoxity (551 posts) -

Took some more pictures with my dads (much better and more expensive) camera. Though the lighting came out a bit dark. Won't upload everything as there's 87 shots total, and my whole Battleforce I got is completely unpainted without and undercoat, so that's boring.

Most proud of my Death Company w/ Jump Packs at the moment. Managed to get some nice hightlights on it. Just trying to finish off the Sternguards now.

#50 Posted by Commisar123 (1786 posts) -

@Otuz: @Mnemoidian:

wonderful models did you free hand the banners? Always been jealous of that skill I can't even paint Necrons or BlackTemplars right :(