#1 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

#2 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

No fancy poll here with clever responses or a multitude of them. I am just curious as to how low the percentage on non-drinkers there actually is around here.

I personally do not drink alcohol. Never have, never will. I don't like the taste of any of it. Spirits rip my mouth apart, beer taste like piss (no I haven't drunk piss) and wine is just yuck. I have no desire to 'acquire' a taste for it. I really don't believe anyone likes alcohol when they first try it, but I do accept you learn to like it. I don't see the point.

People really struggle to comprehend that I have never been drunk. That makes me a real oddity in my world. They claim I am missing out, but I can live without the liver damage, dead brain cells, vomiting, hangovers, violence and whatever other consequences I have seen too much of. Still, that's me. What others do is their own business.

Drinker or not?

#3 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

Yes, but rarely.

#4 Posted by emergency (1190 posts) -

@Contrarian said:

No fancy poll here with clever responses or a multitude of them. I am just curious as to how low the percentage on non-drinkers there actually is around here.

I personally do not drink alcohol. Never have, never will. I don't like the taste of any of it. Spirits rip my mouth apart, beer taste like piss (no I haven't drunk piss) and wine is just yuck. I have no desire to 'acquire' a taste for it. I really don't believe anyone likes alcohol when they first try it, but I do accept you learn to like it. I don't see the point.

People really struggle to comprehend that I have never been drunk. That makes me a real oddity in my world. They claim I am missing out, but I can live without the liver damage, dead brain cells, vomiting, hangovers, violence and whatever other consequences I have seen too much of. Still, that's me. What others do is their own business.

Drinker or not?

I can say that is utter trollop and that many alcoholic beverages are incredibly pleasing on first try. Cider is nothing but delicious, while light beers are very smooth.

#5 Posted by Lashe (1266 posts) -

I do, but not excessively (any more, at least - I had a pretty bad experience during University). I tend to keep to 2-3 alcoholic drinks on a night out these days.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

No, not really. You don't want to mix alcohol with a crown that lets you transform into any video game character you want and gain their powers on the spot.

#7 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

I drink on maybe 5 days out of the year, and only drinks I like. I have never acquired a taste for anything I didn't like, but when I drink, I mostly drink sambuca.

#8 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

No, I don't. Don't like the taste of what I have tried, which is not much.

They don't interest me.

#9 Posted by AlexW00d (6446 posts) -

@emergency said:

@Contrarian said:

Drinker or not?

I can say that is utter trollop and that many alcoholic beverages are incredibly pleasing on first try. Cider is nothing but delicious, while light beers are very smooth.

Cider is fucking awful and I found beer to be pretty bad on my first couple. Alcopops are the only drink that I can see people calling tasty, but even then, opinions.

OP: I'll have an ale or two if I go to the pub with some friends, but I don't get drunk, I grew out of finding that cool a long, long time ago.

#10 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I dont only because, here in Maryland ( USA ) most of the beer and wine stores are state owned, they have just started letting them sell beer and wine in the grocry store. So if I want to buy Mikes Hard Lemonade, I have to go to the beer and wine store across town, and I dont care that much to go across town to get a case of Mikes Hard Lemonade.

#11 Posted by Kiro (288 posts) -

Beer is awesome.

#12 Posted by TobbRobb (4848 posts) -

I usually don't drink, but I don't really have any problems with it. Not a fan of beer though, I prefer the taste of Whiskey.
So since the alcohol I actually enjoy tend to be pretty expensive, I just don't really drink any, unless there's some big event.

#13 Posted by killacam (1278 posts) -
@Contrarian said:

There is a middle ground, you know..
#14 Posted by Bell_End (1203 posts) -

yeah i drink from time to time.

a good drink with friends is a great way to end a busy stressful week and i enjoy it. i don't do it to excess. but i don't see anything wrong with it at all.

#15 Posted by Rattle618 (1456 posts) -

Nope.

#16 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

I swear I've seen this type of thread before...

Also yes

#17 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

Yes, but not regularly.

#18 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

I don't really like the taste of any alcoholic drinks, so I don't generally buy any when I'm out with friends. But I've tried some stuff that I like, mainly ciders, but I don't like them enough to drink them regularly.

#19 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I do, but not as often as all the cool drunk kids.

#20 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

I'm only 15 so it would seem obvious that I don't drink, however where I live, not drinking at this age puts me in a slight minority. Scotland as a whole is pretty bad for under age drinking, but my area in particular is apparently one of the worst. My family has a pretty bad history of alcoholism as well so I am pretty firm in my beliefs about not drinking even when I do reach legal age.

#21 Posted by emergency (1190 posts) -

@killacam said:

@Contrarian said:

People who take a sort of morale high ground over those who drink seem to not understand that. I know that it's not always the case, but it seems like people who don't drink like to think that they are somewhat better or "don't need to get drunk to have fun". All that nonsense is pretty silly. There is a very happy middle ground that doesn't lead to all these extreme consequences that OP listed.

#22 Posted by CaLe (4056 posts) -

No, I see it as a sign of weakness. Same with any drug or mind altering substance. Unless it is taken to correct a biological impairment, then I accept.

#23 Posted by DonChipotle (2852 posts) -

I drink socially. Like I don't have beer in the fridge and my liquor cabinet, while stocked, is mostly for show. But when I am hanging with friends and they offer alcohol, yeah I'l have some. Or I might get a beer at a restaurant or something. But I don't go overboard.

#24 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

I don't drink. When people at my college hear me say that I get two responses. They find it really odd and look down on me, or they say they really respect that. Both responses I usually get from heavy drinkers.

#25 Posted by believer258 (12206 posts) -

No. I don't plan to. People are also surprised when I tell them that I've never been and don't ever plan to be drunk.

However, there's a difference between a bit of alcohol with a slight buzz and being just plain sloshed. I have thought long and hard about this for a while, and it's a possibility that I'll drink a bit of wine every now and then in my later twenties and on. Believe it or not, a moderate amount of red wine here and there has some positive health effects, if only as a bit of stress relief.

Other than that, no. None. Even that is still rather questionable to me.

#26 Posted by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

Teetotaller here.

Always have been, always will be. Actually, I get uncomfortable around other people when they drink because it becomes significantly harder to predict their actions.

#27 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

I do from time to time. Normally once a week when I go over to a friends house on Sunday to watch game of thrones. Not a big one for actually getting drunk though.

#28 Posted by Grillbar (1913 posts) -

yes but rarely

@Vestigial_Man said:

I'm only 15 so it would seem obvious that I don't drink, however where I live, not drinking at this age puts me in a slight minority. Scotland as a whole is pretty bad for under age drinking, but my area in particular is apparently one of the worst. My family has a pretty bad history of alcoholism as well so I am pretty firm in my beliefs about not drinking even when I do reach legal age.

your not the only one in denmark you have to be atleast 16 to buy alcohol but theres no law about how old you have to be to drink it

#29 Posted by Ariketh (606 posts) -

I drink, though I prefer sweeter alcohols.

#30 Posted by HarlechQuinn (451 posts) -

Currently not... Haven't drank a single drop of alcohol since 5 years. However I have the tendency to drink or not drink in intervals. Usually it's around 10 years of sobriety followed by a year of drinking (scandinavian vodka mostly)...

#31 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Contrarian said:

Drinker or not?

You can drink and not get drunk. Alcohol isn't just about being an alcoholic, just as video games isn't just about lovinHalosandCoDbro (not there's anything wrong with that, no matter how homoerotic those games may be).

#32 Edited by Harkat (1119 posts) -

Beer is pretty much all I drink. I like it.

#33 Posted by Flawed_System (384 posts) -

No.

#34 Posted by Superfred (17 posts) -

I'm pretty much amazed with all these responses regarding not drinking alcohol. But yes, i love beer/spirits.

#35 Posted by TOA_Doom (68 posts) -

I drink on occasion, but I've never been drunk, and have no desire to be.

#36 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

No. I don't like the idea of a substance that alters my psychological state.

#37 Posted by Harkat (1119 posts) -

UR MISSING OUT ABSTI-MEN.

#38 Edited by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@emergency said:

@killacam said:

@Contrarian said:

People who take a sort of morale high ground over those who drink seem to not understand that. I know that it's not always the case, but it seems like people who don't drink like to think that they are somewhat better or "don't need to get drunk to have fun". All that nonsense is pretty silly. There is a very happy middle ground that doesn't lead to all these extreme consequences that OP listed.

@SeriouslyNow said:

You can drink and not get drunk. Alcohol isn't just about being an alcoholic, just as video games isn't just about lovinHalosandCoDbro (not there's anything wrong with that, no matter how homoerotic those games may be).

I know you can drink purely for social reason as well as just enjoying ot, without harming yourself or getting drunk. The consequences I mentioned are what I have seen, a lot of. Keep in mind, Australia is one of the biggest drinkers in the world. Yeah, I don't ned to drink to have fun, but that was even close to my point. I don't drink because I don't like the taste and I don't like where it can lead - consequences. I prefer not to take that risk with my health. Some drinkers are fine and some aren't - way of the world man. No moral highground here.

@Azteck said:

@Contrarian said:

You don't have to drink to the point where you black out and get hangovers. I had a glass of wine for dinner last night, doesn't mean I found myself throwing up all over the place this morning because of it. Nothing is that black and white, dude.

It was right above you! Read it. Why do people automatically assume the worst and get all defensive? It wasn't an attack on drinkers.

#39 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@Contrarian said:

You don't have to drink to the point where you black out and get hangovers. I had a glass of wine for dinner last night, doesn't mean I found myself throwing up all over the place this morning because of it.  Nothing is that black and white, dude.
#40 Posted by phampire (289 posts) -

Nope.

#41 Posted by zombie2011 (5049 posts) -

I drink pretty much everyday, not heavily, but a couple beers before i eat dinner. 

#42 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@Contrarian: I'm not getting defensive. I was simply stating a fault in your claim. I took no offense to what you said, but that still doesn't make my point any less true.
#43 Posted by IkariNoTekken (987 posts) -

No. Last drink I remember having was a single glass back at new years 2010.

#44 Posted by Bell_End (1203 posts) -

@CaLe said:

No, I see it as a sign of weakness. Same with any drug or mind altering substance. Unless it is taken to correct a biological impairment, then I accept.

why do you see it as a sign of weakness. do you think less of people that have a glass of wine or can of beer. are you better than them.

#45 Posted by laserbolts (5369 posts) -

@HarlechQuinn said:

Currently not... Haven't drank a single drop of alcohol since 5 years. However I have the tendency to drink or not drink in intervals. Usually it's around 10 years of sobriety followed by a year of drinking (scandinavian vodka mostly)...

How fucking old are you? Yes I drink it's fun

#46 Edited by ShiftyMagician (2133 posts) -

No I don't really drink at all besides the every now and then wine or single drink out of the blue. So that makes me some kind of unfun individual in Australia apparently (or at least to the people of my age group in my local area).

#47 Edited by Korolev (1727 posts) -

No, I don't. Not for any religious or cultural reason, but just because

1) It's potentially addictive - some people can handle it, some clearly cannot. I do not trust myself to be able to avoid addiction.

2) Alcohol is toxic. Drink 100% alcohol and it will kill you. No, the alcohol in wine is not good for you - the grape juice in wine is good for you and you get exactly the same benefit drinking grape juice as you would get from wine. There is no health benefit gained from drinking that outweighs the negatives. Simply put, it's bad for you. Now, how bad it is depends on how much you drink.

3) It's expensive.

4) It alters who you are. You are your brain. Who you are, fundamentally, depends, in part, on your brain chemistry and alcohol alters that. Even if temporarily, when you drink alcohol you are fundamentally altering your personality. I will not do that. Not even temporarily.

5) I want to be in control of myself as much as possible at all times. I will be in control, I will decide what I do, I will maintain a clear and level mind - or at least, I will strive to do so as much as possible. I will not sacrifice my self-control merely for a good time. Presence of mind is valuable.

I don't judge moderate drinkers. Hell, I don't even judge strong drinkers as long as they don't commit crimes or hurt others. Moderate drinkers can handle alcohol and heavy drinkers might have bad personal stuff going on and they need help, not scorn or hatred. Many of my friends, many of my role models, many of my relatives drink alcohol and I don't look down upon any of them for doing so. They seem to be able to handle it and they have a great time. Some of the greatest minds have enjoyed alcohol.

But I do not want to drink. That is the decision I have made. That is my choice and I will stick to it come hell or high water. I will not drink, and I will not because I decided not to. Never, ever, ever will I drink alcohol.

#48 Edited by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

No, not really. You don't want to mix alcohol with a crown that lets you transform into any video game character you want and gain their powers on the spot.

Not even Crown Royal?

I'm so funny.

#49 Posted by HarlechQuinn (451 posts) -

@laserbolts: Born in 1973... "Intervals" was probably a poorly chosen word, let's just say there were periods of longer sobriety and and two periods of boozing...

#50 Posted by Drebin_893 (2933 posts) -

Every so often, great fun.