Since when is monkey a racial slur?

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Belonpopo

So I was playing a game of Halo: Reach today with me and  a couple friends earlier today. It was one of those game where only me and my friend had our mics plugged in so the match was silent. Then we piled into a Warthog and while we driving along I tell him to turn right he turns left and we got killed. I called him a "Stupid Monkey". Before we even spawned at least two guys plugged in their mics and something to the effect of "You racist motherfucker!". I quickly asked what the hell I said that offended them so much they felt the need to reach over and plug their mics to attempt in intimidate  me. They said I can't go onto the internet and start calling people "monkeys", WHAT?!?!. I grew up in West Virginia and have family in Virginia, I've heard every racial slur in the book and monkey is not in cards. Racism in America is such a pathetic thing, I believe the true racist are the people that accuse others of being one. EDIT: I have no idea why this is indented.
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By imsh_pl

It's cool, I'm bringing it back.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Belonpopo
@imsh_pl: 
You racist motherfucker  
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By KarlPilkington

Since black people.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By soldierg654342

Always. 

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

I can see why someone would take it as a racial slur, its used as a racial slur by airheads around here.

Anything can be taken as racist I guess, it just depends on where youre from and the idiots your surrounded by.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Belonpopo
@Chabbs0:
@SoldierG654342:

Racist.
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By mfpantst
@Belonpopo:@Belonpopo: Ok so I grew up (still live) in Frederick Maryland.  Alot of people use porch monkey as a (what they consider) sly way to make fun of black people.  I knew some kids who liked to say that, and have heard it used my fair share of times.  I think it's not as well used a slur, and so in some places people say it and no-one is the wiser.  I'd guess that there are other places where it's used alot (like in my hometown) and people take calling someone a monkey racially. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By I_smell

Since Darwin's theory of evolution.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

Since forever. The first thing that comes to mind is that song from Office Space.

Ready ta lay shots nonstop until I see your monkey ass drop
And let your homies know who done it
Cuz when it comes to this gangsta shit you motherfuckers know who run it

Christ, rap is stupid.
Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Cornman89

Since slave owners justified themselves by claiming Africans were subhuman apes. Yeah, somewhere around then.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By evanbrau

It's pretty much always been racist man.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By theguy

I think it would only be racist if aimed at a black person and meant as a slur. People overreact about racism all the time.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nekroskop

I think it's time for

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By smitty86

Monkey does in fact have a history of being a racial term. And not just in American but world-wide. The best example was the World Cup in Germany where racist fans threw bananas at one of the black soccer players from some other team. While I personally would not have thought you were being racist given the way you described it, I can also see anyone taking part in online gaming to assume that any mention of a term that has a racial history is coming from a racist.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Gabriel

You haven't heard the Phrase "Porch Monkey?" My favorite racial slur is Jigaboo because what the fuck does that even mean or stand for? 

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@Belonpopo said:
"So I was playing a game of Halo: Reach "
I cracked the code.
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gabriel
@smitty86 said:

" Monkey does in fact have a history of being a racial term. And not just in American but world-wide. The best example was the World Cup in Germany where racist fans threw bananas at one of the black soccer players from some other team. While I personally would not have thought you were being racist given the way you described it, I can also see anyone taking part in online gaming to assume that any mention of a term that has a racial history is coming from a racist. "

It dosen't have to be Black people.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#19  Edited By BeachThunder
@LordXavierBritish said:
" @Belonpopo said:
"So I was playing a game of Halo: Reach "
I cracked the code. "
The cracker code? :o
BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BonOrbitz

I was just having a conversion with someone over the weekend about Randall "bringing it back" in Clerks II. Love that movie!

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

It is if you are a saiyan.
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By imsh_pl

I think monkey is a racial slur but only when specifically used against black people. If you use it against someone else - or someone you don't know is black - it's like saying "you're an idiot".

EDIT:Apparently it's my 1,111th post. Woohoo.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#23  Edited By citizenkane

Monkey has always been a racial slur, especially here in the deep South.

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mechanical_Ape

At least since the early 80s. Howard Cosell got kicked off Monday Night Football after calling an athlete a monkey. There are plenty of terms that people find racist for one reason or another. For instance, I used to live next to a place called Spook Hill, so named because horses would get scared around there. Apparently, it can also be a derogatory term as well. After quite a bit of controversy, they not only stopped calling it Spook Hill, but actually removed the entire hill. It is now a flat piece of ground.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#25  Edited By Sin4profit

MONKEYS ARE PEOPLE TOO DAMN IT!

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Venatio

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BonOrbitz
@ahaisthisourchance said:

" I think it's time for

"
Holy shit. I've never seen that before! How terrible! Where is this from?!
Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SuperWristBands
@Belonpopo said:
"
   "...reach over and plug their mics to attempt in intimate me."
"
I don't think you are using Xbox Live the way it was meant to be used.

Also, I didn't know Monkey by itself was offensive. How do people feel about the protagonist of Enslaved?
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Belonpopo

All of you, racist.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By beej
@Belonpopo said:
"
    I believe the true racist are the people that accuse others of being one.
"
Wait what? So are you just pretending that racism isn't real and active or something?
Also perhaps George Allen would like to talk to you about monkey as a racial slur.
cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cyraxible

It's not a racial slur if you don't mean it that way. Context, people!

Especially in the case of 'monkey'
williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By williamhenry
@Chabbs0 said:
" Since black people. "
/Thread.
Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Devil240Z
@Belonpopo: Watch Clerks 2.
Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Portis

This thread is going to get cringe worthy pretty quick.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By beej
@cyraxible: So there's no such thing as unintentional racism then?
To quote Niko Besnier writing for Yale

Recent developments in  the anthropological understanding both of  emotional life  (reviewed in 293)  and of  the relationship between language and sociocultural context (see 33,  67,  101,  52, 185, 231,  338,  372 for pertinent reviews) have caused many of the assumptions underlying structure-oriented linguistic  positions  on  affect  to  be  seen  as  problematic. Linguistic  anthropologists have demonstrated that the relationship between linguistic signs and reality is not a one-way mapping but rather a complex constitutive linkage (65, 70,  178, 207, 208, 222, 223, 232, 233). Ethnographic work on emotions has shown that the opposition between cognition and emotion is  a Western construct (5,  109,  243,  282,  287,  289,  290),  thereby casting doubt on  the validity of a referential-affective dichotomy. Similarly, attributing the ownership of meaning to the individual has proved considerably less useful in the analysis of the anthropological material than a "dialogic" position (207,  216) in which meaning is constructed in interactional processes"

" it opened a new vista on the notion of "lexical meaning," which has since been investigated by
concentrating on narrower problems. The area of the lexicon in which affect is the most salient comprises emotion words (cf  293  for a review), but many other lexical fields have clear affective dimensions of meaning. A rich domain for the investigation of  affect in  the lexicon would include descriptors for groups and individuals and the various strategies that can be used in addressing or referring to participants in communicative events. For example, van Dijk (435)  shows  that Dutch speakers' descriptive and not necessarily derogatory terms for immigrants are carriers and reinforcers of ethnic prejudice "

You have to take responsibility for more than just your intent. Sure, someone who doesn't know the meaning of their racial slur isn't really deserving of punishment (just a correction) but we should consider that it's racist. Just less so than someone who actually hates a race, and is using the slur knowingly.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BraveToaster
@beej said:

" @Belonpopo said:

"

"
Wait what? So are you just pretending that racism isn't real and active or something?
Also perhaps George Allen would like to talk to you about monkey as a racial slur. "
I believe that true murderers are the people that accuse others of being murderers.
BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BonOrbitz
Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By Sarumarine

To keep it video game related, there's a scene in Killer7 where a bunch of U.S. and Japanese diplomats are insulting each other over a game of Mahjong. The U.S. guys call the Japanese guys monkeys and the Japanese guys call the U.S. guys dogs. Of course, this game has a thing with symbolism (it's also completely crazy) but that's what I immediately thought of when I saw this topic.

I haven't heard monkey used as a racial slur, but I guess it doesn't surprise me. Judging from the majority of experience I've had online with random people, I would have figured they would immediately go for the more popular slurs. You know the ones. If someone started calling other people monkeys I wouldn't have made the connection until now.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By beej
@Axxol said:
" @beej said:

" @Belonpopo said:

"

"
Also perhaps George Allen would like to talk to you about monkey as a racial slur. "
I believe that true murderers are the people that accuse others of being murderers. "
Obviously, it couldn't be the guy who's holding the bloody knife and screaming "why'd you make me do it bitch?!"
Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By Chris2KLee

I know it can be used as a racial slur for people of African decent. I've only ever seen it used in older movies.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Marcsman

Just ask Howard Cossell
cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By cyraxible
@beej: People don't have the right to be not offended. If I say something that is not meant to be taken one way, and it's clear from the context that it's being used in, and someone gets offended, they can go fuck themselves.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43  Edited By KaosAngel

Hey, at least they aren't a camel jockey (before someone gets hellbent...i'm Arab, so chill...I do not mean it in a racial way).

eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#44  Edited By eliminator

Since Darwin.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By FreakAche
@Belonpopo: I think the guys who called you out were the racists for even interpreting it that way.
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JazGalaxy

My dad is in his 70's. When he entered Basic for his tour of duty in the Army, his roomate, who had never met a black person before, asked to see his tail. When my dad informed him of how ridiculous an idea that way, the guy exlained that his father had always told him that black people were monkeys and that they had tails.

Pretty much everything is used by racists to degrade people they don't like. There's not a whole lot of defense in "I haven't heard of it, so it's stupid that someone would get offended by it!"

Tuddlesworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tuddlesworth

I truly feel sorry for your family. How can humanity progress if we can't look beyond the color of one's skin? 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49  Edited By KaosAngel

In this kid's defense, he more than likely lives in a fairly white suburban neighborhood and rarely sees minorities.  It's fairly common with the kids in the suburbs now days who rarely go to the city.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By OmegaChosen

I'm from Texas and I've never heard monkey used as a racial slur. I'm serious, this is really weird reading that everyone seems to know that it's used as a slur while I completely clueless. How is this possible?