Singing?

razorzxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By razorzxz

I have a band at the moment and we are getting a place to rehearse for a few months and we don't have a vocalist. So I said I'll give it a shot, but I'm not even sure I can sing and I don't want to embarrass myself. I've taken a look at musical scales and practiced with them a little, but I don't think that's going to improve me drastically. Is there any way to get alright at singing within a week? Just so we have some lyrics to go with.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By cookiemonster

Probably not. I'm guessing Its like any other skill, i.e. it will take a lot longer than a week to get good at something.

razorzxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By razorzxz
@CookieMonster: I have a month before I actually have to perform, if that's of any use. Also I don't really want to be good within the week, just reasonable.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Bombs_Away

Just fucking go for it man. As my boy Chris Rock said, "If the beat's alright, she'll dance all night!"

Make sure you play well and the song is well written. Vocals don't matter if everything else is good.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By matpaget
@razorzxz:  
Alright, I'm a singer, and have been a front man for many bands. 
These are the tips I suggest. 

1. Put your hands on your stomach. Every time you breathe make sure your stomach moves out (breathing with your stomach), and every time you sing, make sure your stomach moves in (breathing out).  This will ensure you're not singing out of your throat, which is really bad for you. If you perform, and your stomach hurts, then you're doing it right!

2. Sing with a smile. This may not seem like much, but it makes a huge improvement. Don't sing sad songs with a smile, obviously, but when you're singing a song that could warrant a smile, do it.   

3.  If you have access to a piano, find the lowest note you can hit comfortably, and the highest note you can hit comfortably. Stay in that range for everything you sing.     

4. Drink slightly warm water before and during singing, not cold water. Don't listen to anyone who says drinking lemon juice is good for your vocal cords. And no greasy foods!

Remember, singing is about expressing yourself. It doesn't matter if you're an "amazing singer" like Andrea Bocelli, or Robert Plant. Some of my favourite singers are not traditionally great singers, but they express themselves amazingly.  

If you can talk, you can sing.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

If it's a metal band than you're probably already overqualified.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Example1013

As the saying goes, those who can't play sing, and those who can't sing play bass.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Like beards, and loss of hair, you either have it or you don't. 

razorzxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By razorzxz
@MatPaget: Thanks, this is probably the most useful information I've had so far.
matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By matpaget
@razorzxz: You're welcome! If there's anything else you want to know, or need help with, feel free to PM me. 
I don't claim to know everything, but I do know a lot.  
I've been training for a few years now, and I've also learned Vocal Jazz Theory, which is something I suggest if you end up loving to sing. 
Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Tordah
  • Don't be afraid to belt out and sing loudly. Nothing is worse than singers that quietly mumble their way through songs.
  • Exaggerate the pronounciation of every word when you sing. It might not seem like a big thing to yourself but others will definitely hear it and appreciate it.
  • Record yourself singing. If you've never heard your own voice before you'll be shocked by how you sound to everyone else (most probably in a negative way too, so be forewarned)
  • Be prepared to take a lot of criticism unless you happen to be naturally talented at it.
cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cnlmullen

If you find you suck at singing and want to get better I recommend picking up Roger Love's Set Your Voice Free. As cheesy as it sounds, the vocal exercises and techniques in there helped me improve my singing quite a bit (I'm not exactly a natural).

mikethekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikethekilla

no