Skateboard opinions

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RetroIce4

My friend. I was.am beginner. I would get a Skate Warehouse complete. You will get Royale Trucks and some pretty shitty bearings but you can get your own. I got my first complete for like $80. Was a great deal but trucks are loose and kinda stiff. Here is link:
http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Sale_Completes/catpage-SALECOMPS.html
... Looks like they got rid of the deal. I got a 7.75 (Shoe size: 12) blank complete for 80 which was customizable.
(I would go with Darkstar)

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By BoG

First of all, you'll do no good asking a bunch of people on a video game website. Second, there is absolutely no need to ask anyone's opinion on griptapte. Minilogo, jessup, black magic, it's all the same. As is hardware, is anyone REALLY going to noitice a different set of hardware? Or risers, do you really need Element risers? If you like risers, that's fine, but you might just be going too far if this is your first skateboard. Oh, and I notice you are getting Element EVERYTHING. First of all, Bam Margera is a douchebag, and second, Element sucks. What brand you go with depends on who you are, but I don't know anyone who isn't a total non-skating douchebag or 5 year old who actually buys Element these days.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By fr0br0
BoG said:
"First of all, you'll do no good asking a bunch of people on a video game website.
People can't have multiple hobbies? Asking a skateboard question here is just as valid as asking "What is your favorite band?" or "What is your opinion of Obama?"
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BoG
Fr0Br0 said:
"BoG said:
"First of all, you'll do no good asking a bunch of people on a video game website.
People can't have multiple hobbies? Asking a skateboard question here is just as valid as asking "What is your favorite band?" or "What is your opinion of Obama?""
They can, but video gamers really shouldn't be "cool consultants."
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fr0br0
BoG said:
"Fr0Br0 said:
"BoG said:
People can't have multiple hobbies? Asking a skateboard question here is just as valid as asking "What is your favorite band?" or "What is your opinion of Obama?""
"
I know a ton of people who skate and play games. It seems to be a common thing to go hand in hand. And I'm sure a lot of bombers here know something about skateboarding judging by their hippie haircuts...
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BoG
Fr0Br0 said:
"BoG said:
"Fr0Br0 said:
"BoG said:
"
I know a ton of people who skate and play games. It seems to be a common thing to go hand in hand. And I'm sure a lot of bombers here know something about skateboarding judging by their hippie haircuts..."
I'm not denying anything you say. Working at a skate and snowboard shop my self, most of my coworkers game. 
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iamjohn
BoG said:
"First of all, you'll do no good asking a bunch of people on a video game website. Second, there is absolutely no need to ask anyone's opinion on griptapte. Minilogo, jessup, black magic, it's all the same. As is hardware, is anyone REALLY going to noitice a different set of hardware? Or risers, do you really need Element risers? If you like risers, that's fine, but you might just be going too far if this is your first skateboard. Oh, and I notice you are getting Element EVERYTHING. First of all, Bam Margera is a douchebag, and second, Element sucks. What brand you go with depends on who you are, but I don't know anyone who isn't a total non-skating douchebag or 5 year old who actually buys Element these days."
So last summer, I was walking around New Brunswick at night with my friends and our skateboards, and some dudes in a minivan pull over and ask out of the window "hey, are those Blind boards?"  And before we can say anything, they yell "No, I bet you skate Element, you fucking POSERS!"  My deck's an Alien Workshop. :\

I dunno, I'm more of a longboard person in the end.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BoG

John, never been a longboarder my self, but did you see the new AWS video? I really enjoyed it my self.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Get a Landyatchz Longboard instead. 

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iamjohn
BoG said:
"John, never been a longboarder my self, but did you see the new AWS video? I really enjoyed it my self."
Have not.  Links, plz.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BoG
iAmJohn said:
"BoG said:
"John, never been a longboarder my self, but did you see the new AWS video? I really enjoyed it my self."
Have not.  Links, plz.
"
Here's the link to the store. I don't know if you played LBP, but there is a song in the video from that game.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iamjohn
BoG said:
"I don't know if you played LBP, but there is a song in the video from that game."
Is it the Jim Noir song?  Please tell me it's the Jim Noir song!
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BoG
iAmJohn said:
"BoG said:
"I don't know if you played LBP, but there is a song in the video from that game."
Is it the Jim Noir song?  Please tell me it's the Jim Noir song!
"
Nope, it's
this one.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iamjohn

Ah.  The Battles song is a good song, too, as is most of the music in the game.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BoG
iAmJohn said:
"Ah.  The Battles song is a good song, too, as is most of the music in the game."
Agreed, LBP has an excellent licensed sountrack.
Avatar image for galvanizednails
GalvanizedNails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GalvanizedNails

I love how a mod somehow managed to call me a idiot because I'm new to skating and then hijacking my thread into a talk about LBP music......classy guys, just plan classy. flame me for asking about skateboards, but not the millions of other dumber topics out there that are way less valid. This is off-topic, so it doesnt matter if Im talking about games. seriously

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BoG

I wasn't calling you an idiot for being new to skating. I didn't even call you an idiot, I said that I think that by posting a whole bunch of cool, brand name stuff on an internet forum you were doing more than asking for advice. If you read my post, I point this out. It's ridiculous to buy brand name hardware, girptape, and risers, and if you were going to, why ask us? You know, working in a skateboard shop my self, why not go to your local shop and ask them? It's their job. Not only will they be able to get you started with the right gear, they can give you some pointers for a beginner, tell you some good spots, and perhaps you'll even make a friend to skate with. It comes down to the fact that I've seen people do this kind of thing before, they post cool gear onto a website and say "which is best?" And as for the LBP music, it legitimately came out of skateboard discussion, as you'll see if you read the posts.

Avatar image for galvanizednails
GalvanizedNails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GalvanizedNails
BoG said:
"I wasn't calling you an idiot for being new to skating. I didn't even call you an idiot, I said that I think that by posting a whole bunch of cool, brand name stuff on an internet forum you were doing more than asking for advice. If you read my post, I point this out. It's ridiculous to buy brand name hardware, girptape, and risers, and if you were going to, why ask us? You know, working in a skateboard shop my self, why not go to your local shop and ask them? It's their job. Not only will they be able to get you started with the right gear, they can give you some pointers for a beginner, tell you some good spots, and perhaps you'll even make a friend to skate with. It comes down to the fact that I've seen people do this kind of thing before, they post cool gear onto a website and say "which is best?" And as for the LBP music, it legitimately came out of skateboard discussion, as you'll see if you read the posts."

My local skateshop only sells name brand stuff. Zero, Element, Spitfire and the like, so thats what they told me to pick up. If you have other recomendations, I'm open to them. I was just trusting the guys at my shop (its a Waterboyz if you need to know) but maybe they're wrong. who knows? lol not me since I'm new
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Commando

I'm not gonna pretend I'm an expert, because I'm not, so these guys probably can give you much better information than me, so take it however you want to. The only skating I've done is a $40 ToysRus skateboard I got when I was 14 and I rode it around my neighborhood.

However, I was friends with the only guy in my grade that skated when I was in high school(it's not that popular in south Alabama), and he was always talking about his Zero, and how it was the best he's ever had. He's been skating a while so I'm guessing he's checked out other brands. He said it's really sturdy and really intuitive, requiring little maintenance. That's about all I can give you.
ishotmrburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By ishotmrburns

I'd recommend buying a blank deck for now.

Avatar image for thundar_the_barbarian
Thundar_the_Barbarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

As far as decks go, there isn't too big of a difference these days besides what company you buy from. Blank decks are the way to go. Just get a size you're comfy with.
Trucks, you can never go wrong with good ol' Indy's.
Griptape... doesn't matter
Wheels, again a thing of preference, For street wheels, companies seem to be similar, so just pick a set that you like.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Linkyshinks

Vision Gator ftw!

Seriously,

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points