• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by ahriman22 (2747 posts) -
STOP POSTING PLEASE, LET THIS DIE.

KTHXBAI

#2 Posted by Vinny (1724 posts) -

Yup, it's a craaaaaaaaaaaazzzy ride. I'll get it a few times a year at least. I did a painting of something I saw once, I wish I could dig up a scan of it. Wacky stuff.

Staff
#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Vinny said:
" Yup, it's a craaaaaaaaaaaazzzy ride. I'll get it a few times a year at least. I did a painting of something I saw once, I wish I could dig up a scan of it. Wacky stuff. "
Lucky, I want too have it sometime.
#4 Posted by Fallen189 (4980 posts) -

Same as Vinny, few times a year. I just watch Akira and other trippy flicks.

#5 Posted by Nasar7 (2612 posts) -

Yeah, I've had it before but thankfully no in-room hallucinations. Terrifying stuff.

#6 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

I've read up on it and is it at all weird that I actually want to experience one of these?

#7 Posted by narley (289 posts) -

I cant imagine how that must feel. I mean, I've had some crazy dreams before and when I woke up I was a little freaked out. But going through that whille your actually concious about it, uuuuuuuu, sounds freaky.

#8 Posted by Nasar7 (2612 posts) -
@kmdrkul: lol probably. maybe there are things that raise the likelihood of getting one if you look it up?
#9 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

Only had it once. It involved a dead sailor staring at me through my closet and a ghost hand holding me down on my bed (mind's attempt to rationalize inability to move?)

#10 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

i've had it happen pretty frequently for about a week (finals week) and my number one advise is to stay calm. it's not going to kill you, it's just a temporary phenomenon that occurs when you're in such a deep sleep that your brain disconnects from your muscles for a bit.

if you sleep on your side it eliminates the risk for sleep paralysis. you probably don't want to sleep face up or face down if you're afraid of this. claustrophobic people tend to have a greater fear of sleep paralysis.

#11 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Everyone gets sleep paralysis (well, not sleep walkers), I can often feel it coming on when I'm going to sleep.

Never woke up while still in sleep paralysis though.

#12 Posted by Lunarbunny (1025 posts) -

I used to sleep on my stomach all the time and I'd get it regularly. It's been ages since I've been able to fall asleep on anything but my side though for some reason. Since it was face down I didn't see anything but the one I remember I was bound in chains.

#13 Posted by Pazy (2563 posts) -

Ive never had any experiences like this, its sounds terrifying though. Ive never actually had any hallucinations at all, the only thing I get quite regulerly is Deja-Vu, sometimes Deja-Vu to something that never happened, some did happen and sometimes to something I experienced in a dream.

#14 Edited by CoverlessTech (746 posts) -

I use to get a a ton a few years back. Or at least that is what I attribute my experiences too. Scariest thing I have ever experienced.

I've had it a few times when it feels like the blankets are being pulled off of my bed(like there is something at the bottom pulling them).
Also a few times where I would be floating. It's the most messed up thing, when you snap out of it you actually feel like you fall back to the bed.
The worst one by far was in my basement when I fell asleep on the couch one night, I "woke" to a song playing on my computer(which was off) and when I "laid" back down something grabbed me. I had scratches on my arms and everything, probably the wire in the couch while I was struggling to move.

Many other times where there weren't really any hallucinations but still scary as shit. Feels like you can't breath and not being able to move is to fucked up.

@kmdrkul said:

" I've read up on it and is it at all weird that I actually want to experience one of these? "
I don't think this is something you actually want to experience. Maybe you are thinking of lucid dreaming, that is something I recommend. Lucid dreaming is when you have complete control over your mind in your dreams. It is a little weird to fall asleep in a lucid dream and dream inside a dream and wake up twice though...

As you can tell I have fucked up sleep patterns.
#15 Posted by torus (1096 posts) -

I can't even remember my dreams, much less be conscious in them. I sleep like a rock.

#16 Edited by ZmillA (2269 posts) -

I aim for it when Im doing my lucid dreaming stuff. Its much easier to enter a dream from a waking state if you first enter this zone of between sleep and wakefulness.

And what you are talking about is Rem Atonia. Sleep paralysis happens whenever your asleep, to keep you from acting out you're dreams. Rem Atonia is specifically the frightening occurences that you are talking about.

#17 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -
@CoverlessTech said:

@kmdrkul said:
" I've read up on it and is it at all weird that I actually want to experience one of these? "
I don't think this is something you actually want to experience. Maybe you are thinking of lucid dreaming, that is something I recommend. Lucid dreaming is when you have complete control over your mind in your dreams. It is a little weird to fall asleep in a lucid dream and dream inside a dream and wake up twice though... As you can tell I have fucked up sleep patterns. "
Well I want to experience that too, but this just seems friggen awesome.  I mean, who needs horror movies when you can actually live one out?
#18 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Nothing like that has ever happened to me. Nor would I want it to. It sounds like me when I was on oxycodone after getting my wisdom teeth removed; I couldn't move a muscle. I hated it. I'm a restless sleeper and easy to wake anyway, although i don't know if that has anything to do with it (probably not). 

#19 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

Had one in my early 20's.  To those who think you want one, you really don't.  I can fall asleep after nightmares, but couldn't after that.

#20 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

I had one or two, all I remember was some kind of demon or whatever in my room and me being unable to escape. Scary shit.

#21 Posted by Meltbrain (2969 posts) -

Man, that sounds crazy. I've had a lucid dream where I knew I was dreaming, but I wasn't conscious. Sleep paralysis sounds pretty freaky, never had it in my life. Wouldn't say no, though!

#22 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I think I had this once. Some of the scariest shit I have ever fucking experienced.

I had a full dream before it happened, and it ended with me being grabbed violently by some witch-demon thing. Fuck, that was a weird morning.

#23 Posted by Happy (261 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" Everyone gets sleep paralysis (well, not sleep walkers), I can often feel it coming on when I'm going to sleep.Never woke up while still in sleep paralysis though. "
Paralysis during REM is called REM atonia. The term "sleep paralysis" refers specifically to the condition of waking from REM but still being paralyzed. For some people hallucinations can accompany it as well.

I've experienced the common, hallucination-free sleep paralysis a number of times. It's freaky enough with out hallucinations.
#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Why am I the only person who doesn't hallucinate during these things? All that happens to me is that I wake up and realize I can't move or even breathe.

#25 Edited by ahriman22 (2747 posts) -
@kmdrkul said:
" @CoverlessTech said:

@kmdrkul said:
I don't think this is something you actually want to experience. Maybe you are thinking of lucid dreaming, that is something I recommend. Lucid dreaming is when you have complete control over your mind in your dreams. It is a little weird to fall asleep in a lucid dream and dream inside a dream and wake up twice though... As you can tell I have fucked up sleep patterns. "
Well I want to experience that too, but this just seems friggen awesome.  I mean, who needs horror movies when you can actually live one out? "
Yeah, because experiencing something that will make you afraid to even close your eyes is AWESOME BRO! I don't think you can really imagine the feeling until it actually happens to you.
@torus: Sleep paralysis does not involve dreams. You "wake up" paralyzed and you hallucinate some pretty screwed up shit.
#26 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

Oh man, I'm afraid to go to sleep now.

#27 Posted by Nasar7 (2612 posts) -

Note that it is possible, and likely, to go straight from a nightmare, wake up, and into a session of sleep paralysis. You can have visual as well as auditory hallucinations. The last time it happened to me was just like that, from a lucid nightmare to an episode of SP, with auditory hallucination but thankfully not visual. Not being in control of your own body really is one of the scariest things imaginable.

You may think you wanna experience it cause now you know what SP is and you think you won't be scared, that you can be logical about it when it happens, but trust me, even knowing what it is you can't think of that shit while its going on, all thats on your mind is the fear.
#28 Posted by CSXLoser (582 posts) -

i used to have it  occasionally back in elementary years. Normally, i would be walking up to my room or lying on something like my bed or couch. And then people i never saw in my life pop out of nowhere and give me evil stares.  I remember my chest feeling like its being pushed down by the stares.   Never told anyone about it till it stopped. Family doctor said it was probably sleep paralysis.

#29 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -

Never really fully realized what it was until I looked on Wikipedia. I pray that the page was one of those pages with horribly wrong facts, but I fear that it isn't...

#30 Posted by HairyMike87 (1015 posts) -

I've had that happen to me a couple times. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night normal, then when i'm trying to get back to sleep, my body just becomes inactive. I'm guessing I went to sleep quickly without knowing and my eyes open up and I can't move my body no matter how hard I try. Then I start to hear voices or crazy ass sounds like someone is running around my house going nuts and then I start to panic. Then I snap out of it and I'm able to move. Then I turn on my light and that was enough sleep for me that night lol. 

It's probably one of the most harmless things in the world to happen to you, but stuff goes on that just makes you feel like something terrifying is going down and you have no control. It will probably be one of the scariest things you experience in your life.
#31 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

nope never experienced it, sounds like science fiction actually i never heard of such a thing o_O

#32 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -

Actually, the more I think about it, I know this has happened to me when I was a kid. I fell asleep while I was sick, and when I woke up, I litterally could not move my body. I was about to piss my pants, and luckily I BARELY made it

#33 Edited by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

I get the paralysis but I pull myself out of it in seconds....fortunately no terrifying hallucinations have ever occurred.

#34 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

I've had this happen to me twice.

The first time I was laying on my back and I couldn't move, and I was staring at my ceiling. I didn't get any hallucinations but feelings of danger out of nowhere and for no reason. Then I kept feeling that someone was coming up my stairs right outside my door slow increasing the feeling of danger, but nothing happened. Shortly afterwards I could move.

The second time was actually a couple days ago. Mind you I was really ill the past 3 days so 2 nights ago as I was waking up in the middle of the night I could not move immediately and I was staring at my computer chair to my right, which had wispy heat lines that looks like stands of hair noodling upwards, and then I got up making them instantly disappear. I was having trouble getting to sleep that night as well, worst night of my life as far as being sick is concerned.

I think in my case it's a combination of things, as I have had night terrors before, or what I diagnosed myself to have after reading through tons of wiki pages following my first encounters with sleep paralysis, and having my parents ask me the following morning why I screamed loudly at night. 2 cases that I remember, and according to my parents 3 cases I do not remember.

Sleep is weird stuff.

#35 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

No, but every now and then I will manage to wake up abruptly whislt I'm sleeping. I also recall waking up twice from some unknown force smacking me across the face, seriously. Neither of which have happened recently. I also have had other strange things happen when I'm trying to go back to sleep when I wake up and when I'm awake and about late at night. Both of which happened when I was younger.

#36 Posted by Pie (7078 posts) -

Ive never had it (i think) but ive heard a story from someone who said it happened to them for a entire week where he would wake up not be able to move or do anything but he could sense and hear people in the room with him. He said he would of saw them probably if he had opened his eyes. This happend for a ENTIRE WEEK. Going to sleep that week knowing that this will probably happen to you must of been terryfying by itself.

The only thing thats ever happened to me is that when i was younger i had this bunkbed that had a bed on top and desk on bottom and in the night id wake up and hear things underneath my bed (coat hanger.etc.) shaking and making noises and me in my naive manner thought it was a ghost or something like that and not just me shaking the bed making stuff rattle. After this going on for about 3 months i decided id start sleeping on the floor of my room with a blow up mattres.
Sleeping on the floor worked and gave me much better nights sleep until after two day's after when i awoke at 7oclock to the sound of an incredibly deep,hoarse and weezy breathing out side my door.  For the next three hours (until ten) i struggled to get off my inflatable mattress without making a sound (which was a very hard thing to do because it was innflatable and all) and all this time the breathing carried on and on and on and on and on and on and on. When i finally got off my mattress i approached the door  I stood by my door for another hour trying to find the courage to open the door and face whatever was there. I knew it couldnt of been playing a joke becuase this breathing had been going on for about 4 hours now with no sign of stopping.
When id finally found the courage to open the door i slammed it open and saw nothing bbut my dad open his door on the opposite side of the landing at the excact same time........ I couldnt find the source of the breathing but now i realise it might of been an audible hallucnanation.

#37 Posted by SinGulaR (2291 posts) -

I never heard things at night and thought they were real when they weren't. I also never woke up and couldn't move. But I have dreams of weaking up and getting out of bed just to find myself waking up in bed again regularly. Once it happened to me three times in a row that I found myself back in bed after "waking up".

#38 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -
@ahriman22 said:
" @kmdrkul said:
" @CoverlessTech said:

@kmdrkul said:
Well I want to experience that too, but this just seems friggen awesome.  I mean, who needs horror movies when you can actually live one out? "
Yeah, because experiencing something that will make you afraid to even close your eyes is AWESOME BRO! I don't think you can really imagine the feeling until it actually happens to you.
That's exactly why I want to experience it. 
#39 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

Thankfully, I"ve never had it.

#40 Posted by Demonstride (864 posts) -

Once i had a dream where i couldn't scream for help when there was an evil ghost thing... but i guess that's the opposite of paralysis plus it was only a nightmare

#41 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

Never even heard of it. After reading this, I'm guessing it's when you wake up, but your body is still dreaming, so you see dreams after you're awake? Man, that'd be pretty awesome if you're having a good dream! 

But it'd be scary as hell if it's a nightmare.

Glad it's never happened to me(I haven't remembered my dreams in a lonnnnng time).
#42 Posted by Pie (7078 posts) -
@Commando: No it isnt that
#43 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -
@Pie: Then what is it?
#44 Posted by Pie (7078 posts) -
@Commando said:
" @Pie: Then what is it? "
Last time i checked scientists aint completely sure but i do know that they are brought on by a lot of stress and enviromental changes (moving house). Also lack of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep can cause this.
#45 Posted by Bucketdeth (8006 posts) -

Happens to me every few months, it feels like your still in the dream but your trying to wake up and you can't, almost like something is holding you back, and no matter how hard I try I cannot move, but after a few moments I wake up and don't want to fall back to sleep.

#46 Posted by Eric_Buck (1289 posts) -

Ummm I fell asleep on my arm once and when I woke up my whole arm was asleep and I couldn't feel it for a couple minutes. I'm assuming that counts.

#47 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

Is there any good hallucinations when you get sleep paralysis?  Like, a pack of strippers come in your room and whatnot?

#48 Posted by Eric_Buck (1289 posts) -

Don't know. I didn't get any hallucinations that time my arm fell asleep... hmmm

#49 Posted by ahriman22 (2747 posts) -
@kmdrkul: ...No... They're always negative, whether they're Auditory or Visual.
#50 Posted by Bob_Toeback (308 posts) -

Don't believe this has ever happened to me. Dreams are one of the most intersting subjects however. It's wierd when you have a dream your sure youve only had once, but part of the dream was thinking it happened before, like dream memories or something. or when you can't distinguish between if its a distant memory or a dream.. strange. I'd like to hear more about this paralysis tho, don't think I'd like it to happen to me. might be interesting tho? maybe not :P