• 56 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by JasonR86 (9764 posts) -


#2 Posted by JasonR86 (9764 posts) -

So I've been listening to some old Bombcasts while exercising and am realizing that the drink tests come with copious amounts of lip smacking and it is driving me insane. I can't stand it when people do this. It is like my version of 'nails on a chalkboard'. What about the rest of you?

#3 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

I used to work in an office with a guy who would routinely smack his lips while eating and also talk with food in his mouth. That was really not something I wanted to hear. Ever.

#4 Posted by benpicko (2012 posts) -

I don't know what 'smacking lips' means, and the Google definition made no sense, so I can't answer this.

Online
#5 Posted by Bocam (3810 posts) -

While it drives me insane, I give the old bombcasts a pass as I hardly noticed it.

#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

It's annoying, but I catch myself doing it when I'm trying to taste testing food/drinks as if it helps.

#7 Posted by JasonR86 (9764 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

It's annoying, but I catch myself doing it when I'm trying to taste testing food/drinks as if it helps.

But does it really help? I've assumed this was the excuse for this but I don't buy it. How could it possibly help anything? It's not like one's tongue needs oxygen to work better.

#8 Posted by TheHT (11689 posts) -

Chewing like a muthafuckin cow.

#9 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3084 posts) -

FUCKING STOP IT, YOU ANIMALS.

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (9764 posts) -

@benpicko said:

I don't know what 'smacking lips' means, and the Google definition made no sense, so I can't answer this.

@TheHT said:

Chewing like a muthafuckin cow.

That's what smacking lips refers to. Imagine a human being doing this.

#11 Edited by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@BraveToaster said:

It's annoying, but I catch myself doing it when I'm trying to taste testing food/drinks as if it helps.

But does it really help? I've assumed this was the excuse for this but I don't buy it. How could it possibly help anything? It's not like one's tongue needs oxygen to work better.

I'm not saying that it does help, I'm not sure why I do it. I've noticed that a few members of the staff do it when they taste drinks they receive in the mail.

#12 Posted by JasonR86 (9764 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

@JasonR86 said:

@BraveToaster said:

It's annoying, but I catch myself doing it when I'm trying to taste testing food/drinks as if it helps.

But does it really help? I've assumed this was the excuse for this but I don't buy it. How could it possibly help anything? It's not like one's tongue needs oxygen to work better.

I'm not saying that it does help, I'm not sure why I do it. I've noticed that a few members of the staff do it when they taste drinks the receive in the mail.

I know! And it's mind-boggling!

#13 Posted by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

Some people didn't have a father like Pootie Tang to teach them right from wrong. Can you really blame them? I put "other" because it doesn't really piss me off that they do it, it pisses me off that no one ever taught them not to.
  

#14 Posted by ShaggE (6637 posts) -

My grandfather is NOTORIOUS for this. He remains to this day the loudest eater and drinker I have ever known.

That and sniffling make me want to rip out my eardrums. A small dry sniff is no big deal, but people who sound like a vacuum sucking up Nickelodeon Gack for hours on end... godfuckingdammit. Blow your nose and be done with it. Really, try it sometime, and discover the freedom to breathe from your nose. The weirdest part is that most people don't seem to mind it, so I just have to suffer silently to the sound of mucus being forcibly devoured lest I come off as the crazy one.

#15 Posted by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -
@ShaggE said:

My grandfather is NOTORIOUS for this. He remains to this day the loudest eater and drinker I have ever known.

That and sniffling make me want to rip out my eardrums. A small dry sniff is no big deal, but people who sound like a vacuum sucking up Nickelodeon Gack for hours on end... godfuckingdammit. Blow your nose and be done with it. Really, try it sometime, and discover the freedom to breathe from your nose. The weirdest part is that most people don't seem to mind it, so I just have to suffer silently to the sound of mucus being forcibly devoured lest I come off as the crazy one.

When I went to see Fast Five in theaters it turned out that the showing that was about to start was with subtitles (for the hearing impaired) . We figured what the hell and went to see it like this anyway. Throughout the film there were a bunch of old people that were hacking loogies and and coughing and wheezing really loud. That shit was disgusting and the whole time we had to fight the urge not to bust out laughing. Them old timers are funny and it is hard to ever really get mad at them.
#16 Posted by Jace (1093 posts) -

@JasonR86: I choz D cuz i only 'cept the smackin wen im beatin it up know im sayin? #yolo

#17 Posted by Hunter5024 (5912 posts) -

Noises that annoy people are weird. Who cares if they smack their lips?

#18 Posted by JasonR86 (9764 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

Noises that annoy people are weird. Who cares if they smack their lips?

My ears care a great deal. You can't tell me that there isn't something that someone has done repetitively that bothers you unless you're like a monk with exceptional patience.

#19 Posted by ShaggE (6637 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

@ShaggE said:

My grandfather is NOTORIOUS for this. He remains to this day the loudest eater and drinker I have ever known.

That and sniffling make me want to rip out my eardrums. A small dry sniff is no big deal, but people who sound like a vacuum sucking up Nickelodeon Gack for hours on end... godfuckingdammit. Blow your nose and be done with it. Really, try it sometime, and discover the freedom to breathe from your nose. The weirdest part is that most people don't seem to mind it, so I just have to suffer silently to the sound of mucus being forcibly devoured lest I come off as the crazy one.

When I went to see Fast Five in theaters it turned out that the showing that was about to start was with subtitles (for the hearing impaired) . We figured what the hell and went to see it like this anyway. Throughout the film there were a bunch of old people that were hacking loogies and and coughing and wheezing really loud. That shit was disgusting and the whole time we had to fight the urge not to bust out laughing. Them old timers are funny and it is hard to ever really get mad at them.

Yeah, I make concessions for those who can't help it, of course (I've got a chronic cough that surely annoys some), but there's no reason for a healthy, able-bodied person to act like paper or cloth don't exist. I tried sniffling once or twice to see if I'm missing some wonderful thing, and it feels even worse than it sounds. I just don't get it.

Sorry, I'm ranting, haha. I don't get to air this grievance too often.

#20 Posted by wjb (1689 posts) -

It annoys me, but on occasion, I've probably smacked lips/breathe through mouth/gulped/etc./etc./etc. It's hard not to do those things every now and then.

#21 Posted by Hunter5024 (5912 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Noises that annoy people are weird. Who cares if they smack their lips?

My ears care a great deal. You can't tell me that there isn't something that someone has done repetitively that bothers you unless you're like a monk with exceptional patience.

Not a noise. I mean there are some obvious exceptions, but only when it's something loud and high pitched enough that it actually hurts my ears. Smacking lips is a pretty mild sound.

#22 Posted by IzzyGraze (852 posts) -

Yeah I noticed that too about the bombcast. Fucking annoying.

#23 Edited by CashBailey (805 posts) -

It's fucking horrendous.

I always skipped past the drink test because of that shit. Not to mention just regular swallow/smack when talking, like Vinny and Brad do all the time. But nobody was ever worse for that than Matt Rorie.

On podcasts it's unforgivable. Like someone chewing food in your ear. If you do this and think it's okay I hate you.

Snifflers suck, too. Just blow your fucking nose, goddammit!!

#24 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

I don't want to come here and say first world problems....but hey....at least we have food to smack our lips to.

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (9764 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

I don't want to come here and say first world problems....but hey....at least we have food to smack our lips to.

Really?

#26 Posted by iTWAN (45 posts) -

A guy at work was doing it the other day. The only reason I noticed is because my girl gets on me about it, LOL!

#27 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Vinny_Says said:

I don't want to come here and say first world problems....but hey....at least we have food to smack our lips to.

Really?

I'm surprised this thread wasn't locked and I wasn't banned for that awful joke...

#28 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1297 posts) -

i hate it when people put their feet up on seats at the movie theatre

#29 Posted by oldenglishC (997 posts) -

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Use your lips, not your teeth, to take the food off the silverware and chew with your mouth closed.

#30 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

I don't know anyone who does this and nor have I ever heard anyone do this, though I just tried it and it made me want to punch myself so I guess I can see your point.

#31 Edited by LikeaSsur (1583 posts) -

I would describe what I wanted to do to people who smack their lips and chew with their mouth open, and/or drink really loudly, but I don't want to end up on the FBI watchlist. This is what made some of the earlier Persona 4 Endurance Run videos nigh unwatchable. Anytime somebody took a drink (mostly Vinny), I cringed and had to click away. It's terrible.

#32 Posted by EuanDewar (5094 posts) -

I regularly do it when im sucking dick

#33 Edited by Scrawnto (2462 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@BraveToaster said:

@JasonR86 said:

@BraveToaster said:

It's annoying, but I catch myself doing it when I'm trying to taste testing food/drinks as if it helps.

But does it really help? I've assumed this was the excuse for this but I don't buy it. How could it possibly help anything? It's not like one's tongue needs oxygen to work better.

I'm not saying that it does help, I'm not sure why I do it. I've noticed that a few members of the staff do it when they taste drinks the receive in the mail.

I know! And it's mind-boggling!

Actually, there might be a scientific explanation for that. A large part of taste is derived from one's sense of smell, and in particular from smell as one breathes out, which is sensed differently from smell as one breathes in. Smacking your lips could perturb the air in a way that enhances that mechanism.

edit:(It's still fucking annoying, though)

#34 Posted by JasonR86 (9764 posts) -

@Scrawnto said:

@JasonR86 said:

@BraveToaster said:

@JasonR86 said:

@BraveToaster said:

It's annoying, but I catch myself doing it when I'm trying to taste testing food/drinks as if it helps.

But does it really help? I've assumed this was the excuse for this but I don't buy it. How could it possibly help anything? It's not like one's tongue needs oxygen to work better.

I'm not saying that it does help, I'm not sure why I do it. I've noticed that a few members of the staff do it when they taste drinks the receive in the mail.

I know! And it's mind-boggling!

Actually, there might be a scientific explanation for that. A large part of taste is derived from one's sense of smell, and in particular from smell as one breathes out, which is sensed differently from smell as one breathes in. Smacking your lips could perturb the air in a way that enhances that mechanism.

It's not worth it. That little change in taste perception isn't worth a complete lack of manners and decorum.

#35 Posted by believer258 (12109 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

@DarthOrange said:

@ShaggE said:

My grandfather is NOTORIOUS for this. He remains to this day the loudest eater and drinker I have ever known.

That and sniffling make me want to rip out my eardrums. A small dry sniff is no big deal, but people who sound like a vacuum sucking up Nickelodeon Gack for hours on end... godfuckingdammit. Blow your nose and be done with it. Really, try it sometime, and discover the freedom to breathe from your nose. The weirdest part is that most people don't seem to mind it, so I just have to suffer silently to the sound of mucus being forcibly devoured lest I come off as the crazy one.

When I went to see Fast Five in theaters it turned out that the showing that was about to start was with subtitles (for the hearing impaired) . We figured what the hell and went to see it like this anyway. Throughout the film there were a bunch of old people that were hacking loogies and and coughing and wheezing really loud. That shit was disgusting and the whole time we had to fight the urge not to bust out laughing. Them old timers are funny and it is hard to ever really get mad at them.

Yeah, I make concessions for those who can't help it, of course (I've got a chronic cough that surely annoys some), but there's no reason for a healthy, able-bodied person to act like paper or cloth don't exist. I tried sniffling once or twice to see if I'm missing some wonderful thing, and it feels even worse than it sounds. I just don't get it.

Sorry, I'm ranting, haha. I don't get to air this grievance too often.

Well, most of the time I am a healthy able bodied person, but I'm allergic to pollen. So in the Springtime, when everyone else is happy that it's getting warmer and starting to feel pretty upbeat because of the weather, my nose is full of that Nickolodeon Gack. Blow it? Sure, but that actually doesn't help. I've blown (my nose) till my nose bleeds and given myself migraines before, but it doesn't help. Only thing that's ever helped is Benadryl, but then I sleep for about four or five hours after taking it. The only thing I can do to keep my nose from running is sniffling like a sick fucking vacuum.

I'm just saying that some people, despite looking able bodied and healthy, can't help it.

In the meantime, there's not much that annoys me in the way of noises people make. Except when people talk when I'm trying to watch something. If I've been watching a movie in the living room and all of a sudden your cellphone rings, get off your lazy fucking ass and go to the next room. I hate that, those people deserve to burn in hell. Well, that's an exaggeration, but...

#36 Posted by A_Talking_Donkey (262 posts) -

I find it annoying. I decided to do a bit of an experiment with dinner though, I decided to smack my lips with different food items. Carrots didn't taste any different, potatoes had a subtle change in taste that isn't worth annoying people over, salisbury steak went from tasting like bottom of the barrel meat to some sort of salty nightmare. I can confirm lip smacking has some effect on the taste of food but I'm not sure the effect is a good one.

#37 Posted by triple07 (1198 posts) -

It drives me fucking insane! My best friends brother makes so much noise when he eats that I want to punch him. How do people not get that its gross as shit?

#38 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

What about when you're getting a blowjob?

#39 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

@DoctorWelch:

#40 Posted by JCTango (1366 posts) -

@JasonR86: I agree - it's one of my pet peeves, hehe... annoys me to no end...

However, I do this sound quietly (if that makes any sense) to annoy a certain someone (and when I'm not even eating or drinking)... and it's kinda funny :).

#41 Posted by Baillie (4279 posts) -

@A_Talking_Donkey said:

I find it annoying. I decided to do a bit of an experiment with dinner though, I decided to smack my lips with different food items. Carrots didn't taste any different, potatoes had a subtle change in taste that isn't worth annoying people over, salisbury steak went from tasting like bottom of the barrel meat to some sort of salty nightmare. I can confirm lip smacking has some effect on the taste of food but I'm not sure the effect is a good one.

This is probably the best post I have read in a long while, and you have an awesome username too.

#42 Posted by MKSKILLZ16 (130 posts) -

I'm just glad there are people out there who think this crap is atrocious. I hate it. To everyone who does this lip smacking: Is your mouth/jaw broken? P

#43 Posted by Gamer_152 (14100 posts) -

If it's really loud, yeah, hearing someone smacking their lips can be unbearable. I didn't ever think it was pronounced enough to be annoying on the old Bombcasts though. In fact back much earlier in the site's history I saw one user suggest that the staff make more "eating and drinking sounds" when trying out foodstuffs on the podcast. That's probably one of the worst things I've ever seen suggested on this site.

Moderator
#44 Posted by ShaggE (6637 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@ShaggE said:

@DarthOrange said:

@ShaggE said:

My grandfather is NOTORIOUS for this. He remains to this day the loudest eater and drinker I have ever known.

That and sniffling make me want to rip out my eardrums. A small dry sniff is no big deal, but people who sound like a vacuum sucking up Nickelodeon Gack for hours on end... godfuckingdammit. Blow your nose and be done with it. Really, try it sometime, and discover the freedom to breathe from your nose. The weirdest part is that most people don't seem to mind it, so I just have to suffer silently to the sound of mucus being forcibly devoured lest I come off as the crazy one.

When I went to see Fast Five in theaters it turned out that the showing that was about to start was with subtitles (for the hearing impaired) . We figured what the hell and went to see it like this anyway. Throughout the film there were a bunch of old people that were hacking loogies and and coughing and wheezing really loud. That shit was disgusting and the whole time we had to fight the urge not to bust out laughing. Them old timers are funny and it is hard to ever really get mad at them.

Yeah, I make concessions for those who can't help it, of course (I've got a chronic cough that surely annoys some), but there's no reason for a healthy, able-bodied person to act like paper or cloth don't exist. I tried sniffling once or twice to see if I'm missing some wonderful thing, and it feels even worse than it sounds. I just don't get it.

Sorry, I'm ranting, haha. I don't get to air this grievance too often.

Well, most of the time I am a healthy able bodied person, but I'm allergic to pollen. So in the Springtime, when everyone else is happy that it's getting warmer and starting to feel pretty upbeat because of the weather, my nose is full of that Nickolodeon Gack. Blow it? Sure, but that actually doesn't help. I've blown (my nose) till my nose bleeds and given myself migraines before, but it doesn't help. Only thing that's ever helped is Benadryl, but then I sleep for about four or five hours after taking it. The only thing I can do to keep my nose from running is sniffling like a sick fucking vacuum.

I'm just saying that some people, despite looking able bodied and healthy, can't help it.

In the meantime, there's not much that annoys me in the way of noises people make. Except when people talk when I'm trying to watch something. If I've been watching a movie in the living room and all of a sudden your cellphone rings, get off your lazy fucking ass and go to the next room. I hate that, those people deserve to burn in hell. Well, that's an exaggeration, but...

I call that "not being able to help it". Don't take offense, man, I'm not talking about people who appear healthy (trust me, as a bipolar, I get "you LOOK okay" all the time), I solely mean people who do it out of laziness. The sound kills me just the same, but that's why I don't hand out tissues like party favors, because I don't know people's medical concerns.

#45 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Booty clapping is better

#46 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

@Funkydupe:

#47 Posted by bushpusherr (829 posts) -

Never noticed it on the bombcast, but my fucking roommate wakes up every morning and eats dry cereal in his bed with his mouth open, smacking his lips all the time. I literally wake up in the worst mood every fucking day.

#48 Edited by Xtrminatr (263 posts) -

Jesus Christ this topic is speaking directly to me I feel. I CANNOT STAND IT! People eating apples is probably the worst cause of it too.

Edit: The poll was speaking directly to me, not necessarily the OP. On the bombcast they hardly do it long enough for me to get annoyed. If you want to be driven fucking insane listen to one of the 8-4 play podcasts where they taste test gum.

#49 Posted by Icemael (6356 posts) -

Whenever some human scum piece of shit does this while eating I just want to grab them and smash their head into a wall.

#50 Posted by BaneFireLord (2967 posts) -

Other: I don't really give a shit.