Smacking Lips When Eating, Drinking, or Doing Anything Else...

• 57 results
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JasonR86

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JasonR86

So I've been listening to some old Bombcasts while exercising and am realizing that the drink tests come with copious amounts of lip smacking and it is driving me insane. I can't stand it when people do this. It is like my version of 'nails on a chalkboard'. What about the rest of you?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

I used to work in an office with a guy who would routinely smack his lips while eating and also talk with food in his mouth. That was really not something I wanted to hear. Ever.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By benpicko

I don't know what 'smacking lips' means, and the Google definition made no sense, so I can't answer this.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Bocam

While it drives me insane, I give the old bombcasts a pass as I hardly noticed it.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

It's annoying, but I catch myself doing it when I'm trying to taste testing food/drinks as if it helps.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JasonR86

@BraveToaster said:

It's annoying, but I catch myself doing it when I'm trying to taste testing food/drinks as if it helps.

But does it really help? I've assumed this was the excuse for this but I don't buy it. How could it possibly help anything? It's not like one's tongue needs oxygen to work better.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By TheHT

Chewing like a muthafuckin cow.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShadowConqueror

FUCKING STOP IT, YOU ANIMALS.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JasonR86

@benpicko said:

I don't know what 'smacking lips' means, and the Google definition made no sense, so I can't answer this.

@TheHT said:

Chewing like a muthafuckin cow.

That's what smacking lips refers to. Imagine a human being doing this.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BraveToaster

@JasonR86 said:

@BraveToaster said:

But does it really help? I've assumed this was the excuse for this but I don't buy it. How could it possibly help anything? It's not like one's tongue needs oxygen to work better.

I'm not saying that it does help, I'm not sure why I do it. I've noticed that a few members of the staff do it when they taste drinks they receive in the mail.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JasonR86

@BraveToaster said:

@JasonR86 said:

@BraveToaster said:

I'm not saying that it does help, I'm not sure why I do it. I've noticed that a few members of the staff do it when they taste drinks the receive in the mail.

I know! And it's mind-boggling!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By DarthOrange

Some people didn't have a father like Pootie Tang to teach them right from wrong. Can you really blame them? I put "other" because it doesn't really piss me off that they do it, it pisses me off that no one ever taught them not to.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShaggE

My grandfather is NOTORIOUS for this. He remains to this day the loudest eater and drinker I have ever known.

That and sniffling make me want to rip out my eardrums. A small dry sniff is no big deal, but people who sound like a vacuum sucking up Nickelodeon Gack for hours on end... godfuckingdammit. Blow your nose and be done with it. Really, try it sometime, and discover the freedom to breathe from your nose. The weirdest part is that most people don't seem to mind it, so I just have to suffer silently to the sound of mucus being forcibly devoured lest I come off as the crazy one.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By DarthOrange
@ShaggE said:

My grandfather is NOTORIOUS for this. He remains to this day the loudest eater and drinker I have ever known.

That and sniffling make me want to rip out my eardrums. A small dry sniff is no big deal, but people who sound like a vacuum sucking up Nickelodeon Gack for hours on end... godfuckingdammit. Blow your nose and be done with it. Really, try it sometime, and discover the freedom to breathe from your nose. The weirdest part is that most people don't seem to mind it, so I just have to suffer silently to the sound of mucus being forcibly devoured lest I come off as the crazy one.

When I went to see Fast Five in theaters it turned out that the showing that was about to start was with subtitles (for the hearing impaired) . We figured what the hell and went to see it like this anyway. Throughout the film there were a bunch of old people that were hacking loogies and and coughing and wheezing really loud. That shit was disgusting and the whole time we had to fight the urge not to bust out laughing. Them old timers are funny and it is hard to ever really get mad at them.
Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jace

@JasonR86: I choz D cuz i only 'cept the smackin wen im beatin it up know im sayin? #yolo

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hunter5024

Noises that annoy people are weird. Who cares if they smack their lips?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JasonR86

@Hunter5024 said:

My ears care a great deal. You can't tell me that there isn't something that someone has done repetitively that bothers you unless you're like a monk with exceptional patience.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShaggE

@DarthOrange said:

@ShaggE said:

When I went to see Fast Five in theaters it turned out that the showing that was about to start was with subtitles (for the hearing impaired) . We figured what the hell and went to see it like this anyway. Throughout the film there were a bunch of old people that were hacking loogies and and coughing and wheezing really loud. That shit was disgusting and the whole time we had to fight the urge not to bust out laughing. Them old timers are funny and it is hard to ever really get mad at them.

Yeah, I make concessions for those who can't help it, of course (I've got a chronic cough that surely annoys some), but there's no reason for a healthy, able-bodied person to act like paper or cloth don't exist. I tried sniffling once or twice to see if I'm missing some wonderful thing, and it feels even worse than it sounds. I just don't get it.

Sorry, I'm ranting, haha. I don't get to air this grievance too often.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By wjb

It annoys me, but on occasion, I've probably smacked lips/breathe through mouth/gulped/etc./etc./etc. It's hard not to do those things every now and then.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hunter5024

@JasonR86 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

My ears care a great deal. You can't tell me that there isn't something that someone has done repetitively that bothers you unless you're like a monk with exceptional patience.

Not a noise. I mean there are some obvious exceptions, but only when it's something loud and high pitched enough that it actually hurts my ears. Smacking lips is a pretty mild sound.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By izzygraze

Yeah I noticed that too about the bombcast. Fucking annoying.

CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CashBailey

It's fucking horrendous.

I always skipped past the drink test because of that shit. Not to mention just regular swallow/smack when talking, like Vinny and Brad do all the time. But nobody was ever worse for that than Matt Rorie.

On podcasts it's unforgivable. Like someone chewing food in your ear. If you do this and think it's okay I hate you.

Snifflers suck, too. Just blow your fucking nose, goddammit!!

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Vinny_Says

I don't want to come here and say first world problems....but hey....at least we have food to smack our lips to.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JasonR86

@Vinny_Says said:

I don't want to come here and say first world problems....but hey....at least we have food to smack our lips to.

Really?

iTWAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iTWAN

A guy at work was doing it the other day. The only reason I noticed is because my girl gets on me about it, LOL!

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Vinny_Says

@JasonR86 said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Really?

I'm surprised this thread wasn't locked and I wasn't banned for that awful joke...

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

i hate it when people put their feet up on seats at the movie theatre

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oldenglishc

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Use your lips, not your teeth, to take the food off the silverware and chew with your mouth closed.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sploder

I don't know anyone who does this and nor have I ever heard anyone do this, though I just tried it and it made me want to punch myself so I guess I can see your point.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LikeaSsur

I would describe what I wanted to do to people who smack their lips and chew with their mouth open, and/or drink really loudly, but I don't want to end up on the FBI watchlist. This is what made some of the earlier Persona 4 Endurance Run videos nigh unwatchable. Anytime somebody took a drink (mostly Vinny), I cringed and had to click away. It's terrible.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By EuanDewar

I regularly do it when im sucking dick

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By Scrawnto

@JasonR86 said:

@BraveToaster said:

@JasonR86 said:

@BraveToaster said:

I'm not saying that it does help, I'm not sure why I do it. I've noticed that a few members of the staff do it when they taste drinks the receive in the mail.

Actually, there might be a scientific explanation for that. A large part of taste is derived from one's sense of smell, and in particular from smell as one breathes out, which is sensed differently from smell as one breathes in. Smacking your lips could perturb the air in a way that enhances that mechanism.

edit:(It's still fucking annoying, though)

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JasonR86

@Scrawnto said:

@JasonR86 said:

@BraveToaster said:

@JasonR86 said:

@BraveToaster said:

Actually, there might be a scientific explanation for that. A large part of taste is derived from one's sense of smell, and in particular from smell as one breathes out, which is sensed differently from smell as one breathes in. Smacking your lips could perturb the air in a way that enhances that mechanism.

It's not worth it. That little change in taste perception isn't worth a complete lack of manners and decorum.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Justin258

@ShaggE said:

@DarthOrange said:

@ShaggE said:

When I went to see Fast Five in theaters it turned out that the showing that was about to start was with subtitles (for the hearing impaired) . We figured what the hell and went to see it like this anyway. Throughout the film there were a bunch of old people that were hacking loogies and and coughing and wheezing really loud. That shit was disgusting and the whole time we had to fight the urge not to bust out laughing. Them old timers are funny and it is hard to ever really get mad at them.

Yeah, I make concessions for those who can't help it, of course (I've got a chronic cough that surely annoys some), but there's no reason for a healthy, able-bodied person to act like paper or cloth don't exist. I tried sniffling once or twice to see if I'm missing some wonderful thing, and it feels even worse than it sounds. I just don't get it.

Well, most of the time I am a healthy able bodied person, but I'm allergic to pollen. So in the Springtime, when everyone else is happy that it's getting warmer and starting to feel pretty upbeat because of the weather, my nose is full of that Nickolodeon Gack. Blow it? Sure, but that actually doesn't help. I've blown (my nose) till my nose bleeds and given myself migraines before, but it doesn't help. Only thing that's ever helped is Benadryl, but then I sleep for about four or five hours after taking it. The only thing I can do to keep my nose from running is sniffling like a sick fucking vacuum.

I'm just saying that some people, despite looking able bodied and healthy, can't help it.

In the meantime, there's not much that annoys me in the way of noises people make. Except when people talk when I'm trying to watch something. If I've been watching a movie in the living room and all of a sudden your cellphone rings, get off your lazy fucking ass and go to the next room. I hate that, those people deserve to burn in hell. Well, that's an exaggeration, but...

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By A_Talking_Donkey

I find it annoying. I decided to do a bit of an experiment with dinner though, I decided to smack my lips with different food items. Carrots didn't taste any different, potatoes had a subtle change in taste that isn't worth annoying people over, salisbury steak went from tasting like bottom of the barrel meat to some sort of salty nightmare. I can confirm lip smacking has some effect on the taste of food but I'm not sure the effect is a good one.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By triple07

It drives me fucking insane! My best friends brother makes so much noise when he eats that I want to punch him. How do people not get that its gross as shit?

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By DoctorWelch

What about when you're getting a blowjob?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Funkydupe

@DoctorWelch:

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By JCTango

@JasonR86: I agree - it's one of my pet peeves, hehe... annoys me to no end...

However, I do this sound quietly (if that makes any sense) to annoy a certain someone (and when I'm not even eating or drinking)... and it's kinda funny :).

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By Baillie

@A_Talking_Donkey said:

I find it annoying. I decided to do a bit of an experiment with dinner though, I decided to smack my lips with different food items. Carrots didn't taste any different, potatoes had a subtle change in taste that isn't worth annoying people over, salisbury steak went from tasting like bottom of the barrel meat to some sort of salty nightmare. I can confirm lip smacking has some effect on the taste of food but I'm not sure the effect is a good one.

This is probably the best post I have read in a long while, and you have an awesome username too.

mkskillz16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mkskillz16

I'm just glad there are people out there who think this crap is atrocious. I hate it. To everyone who does this lip smacking: Is your mouth/jaw broken? P

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#43  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

If it's really loud, yeah, hearing someone smacking their lips can be unbearable. I didn't ever think it was pronounced enough to be annoying on the old Bombcasts though. In fact back much earlier in the site's history I saw one user suggest that the staff make more "eating and drinking sounds" when trying out foodstuffs on the podcast. That's probably one of the worst things I've ever seen suggested on this site.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShaggE

@believer258 said:

@ShaggE said:

@DarthOrange said:

@ShaggE said:

Well, most of the time I am a healthy able bodied person, but I'm allergic to pollen. So in the Springtime, when everyone else is happy that it's getting warmer and starting to feel pretty upbeat because of the weather, my nose is full of that Nickolodeon Gack. Blow it? Sure, but that actually doesn't help. I've blown (my nose) till my nose bleeds and given myself migraines before, but it doesn't help. Only thing that's ever helped is Benadryl, but then I sleep for about four or five hours after taking it. The only thing I can do to keep my nose from running is sniffling like a sick fucking vacuum.

I'm just saying that some people, despite looking able bodied and healthy, can't help it.

In the meantime, there's not much that annoys me in the way of noises people make. Except when people talk when I'm trying to watch something. If I've been watching a movie in the living room and all of a sudden your cellphone rings, get off your lazy fucking ass and go to the next room. I hate that, those people deserve to burn in hell. Well, that's an exaggeration, but...

I call that "not being able to help it". Don't take offense, man, I'm not talking about people who appear healthy (trust me, as a bipolar, I get "you LOOK okay" all the time), I solely mean people who do it out of laziness. The sound kills me just the same, but that's why I don't hand out tissues like party favors, because I don't know people's medical concerns.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheHumanDove

Booty clapping is better

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By DoctorWelch
No Caption Provided

@Funkydupe:

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bushpusherr

Never noticed it on the bombcast, but my fucking roommate wakes up every morning and eats dry cereal in his bed with his mouth open, smacking his lips all the time. I literally wake up in the worst mood every fucking day.

demarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By demarcon

Jesus Christ this topic is speaking directly to me I feel. I CANNOT STAND IT! People eating apples is probably the worst cause of it too.

Edit: The poll was speaking directly to me, not necessarily the OP. On the bombcast they hardly do it long enough for me to get annoyed. If you want to be driven fucking insane listen to one of the 8-4 play podcasts where they taste test gum.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#49  Edited By Icemael

Whenever some human scum piece of shit does this while eating I just want to grab them and smash their head into a wall.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BaneFireLord

Other: I don't really give a shit.