So College boys and girls, how'd you do this semester?

• 82 results
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bruce

I remembered there being a few College-related topics that got a lot of responses; so I think it's safe to say that a fair number of us Giantbomb users are in College. Since the fall semester is over (has been for two weeks already, at least for me), and most official grades should be in by now, I was just curious to see how everyone in the community did in their respective semesters. You don't have to give specific details pertaining to your major and what courses you took if you don't want to, of course.  

To start things off, I took four classes this semester. Drawing, which was a worthless elective; World Literature (Existentialism), where we read a lot of Chopin and Camus; Sociology in the Modern World, which was a fifty-minute class I barely bothered with; and finally, Biology, which I loathed like having dental work done. 

As for the grades: my drawing teacher told me I was receiving an A, but she ended up giving me a B+. Not bad considering that my work was fairly lackluster compared to the Art Majors in the class (drawing is not a talent of mine), and also considering that I had a tendency to let the teacher rework my pieces to an extent that they became her drawings more than mine. However, I doubt she ever really noticed how often she did that. The promise of an A should have stood out as hyperbole to me the minute she said it, but I felt my final drawings were good enough for a sympathy, you showed up all the time and did something, grade. The class doesn't mean anything anyway, so I'll take the B+.

Sociology was pretty boring, and I had an old-school professor who loved to tell us how he, too, was from New York City---so we shouldn't pull any bullshit with him. His grading was strict: three tests and two writing assignments. Nothing else. I pulled an A- in the course after an 88 on a test made it mathematically impossible for my average to hit the 96 necessary for an A. I think I missed it by a .5 or something; and no, this guy didn't curve. =/  

World Literature was an A. No surprise there.

Biology was probably the biggest bitch of them all. Our teacher was a laid-back, dry humor type of guy who often strayed from things in the textbook, instead giving us his version of the material. I went from having the highest grade in the class on the first exam (92) to almost falling to a D average. I needed a 70 on the fourth exam to maintain a C, so I showed up to class the day of that particular exam with a story about how I was sick and needed to go to the doctor; I then had the family physician write me a note for that day (to be fair, I was legitimately sick...the week before). Due to class scheduling, this meant I would take the test on the "make-up day", which was a week later. Translation: An extra week to study. I went in, took the test, and pulled a 75. I held that C average strong, thinking that that's what I was going to end up with, and I went in on the last day and pretty much (at least in my mind) bombed on the final. I then checked my grades online the following week and saw a B-. Go figure. So with all that, my overall G.P.A. this semester is a 3.45. I went down considerably, but it's not bad by any means.  

So just share how you did this semester, or any stories you might have of the last few months of College. 

Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ComradeKritstov

Just finished my first semester of college and got a 4.0 like a boss. 8) Admittedly, I only had 3 classes and they really weren't that bad but I'm still happy with myself. I took College Writing I,  Statistics, and Calculus. Calculus was the only one I had a little trouble with, but luckily I had already taken it in high school. I was gonna get an A- but at the last minute he scaled some tests so I got an A.  

It was actually kind of sad how many times a day I was checking my grades online during winter break.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bruce
@ComradeKritstov:  

I take it you're a math person?
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta

better than I deserved, really; B+ in German 111, B- in English 101 and C+ in Phil 102

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mikeeegeee

I'm an education major. I largely coasted to achieve A's in the five classes I took. One of them was a class where I tutored a fifth grader with a reading disability, another was Bowling 101. Pretty odd semester; easy as ever. My last semester as a student, too. Sad day. 

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your drawing class. I'd trade you.

jlev880

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jlev880

3.08 GPA is how I did.

eternitymemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By eternitymemory

I'm in a rather complicated transferring situation that requires me to take five classes both semesters at the community college I'm now in. This semester was a goddamned cakewalk. I actually aced all of my classes, which I haven't done since elementary school.  

Pop Music in the US - My useless elective course, if you couldn't tell by the title. The professor was good enough, but man was his class easy, as well as way too early in the morning. 
American Literature - Favorite class, even if the reading was really dry in the beginning with all the early Puritan writers that were assigned.  We weren't given a lot of assignments, just two essays and two in-class tests and an online discussion board we had to write in every week, which I did not like all that much.  
US History - This class was alright. Had to write an ass-load of notes for it, though, which kind of wrecked my wrist after awhile . I'm surprised I made it out with an A. He gave us 5-question quizzes each week to make sure we were reading the textbook, and while I often read the chapters assigned, the questions on the quizzes often asked about stuff I completely forgot about. I tended to do pretty badly on them. 
English Literature - Another good class with only two essays and three tests assigned to us. He often let us out a little earlier than usual, too, which was nice. 
World Civilizations - So damn disappointing. The subject of ancient world civilizations is usually right up my alley, but the professor taught it in a way that made going to class an absolute chore because it was so boring. Oddly enough, I also got my best score in this class. If I didn't get a perfect grade on an assignment, then I was only one or two points off.  

I'm afraid that I'm going to pay for having such a care-free fall semester by having to slog through a brutal spring semester. Hopefully I can manage another 4.0 and then get in to the university I applied to next year.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By JB16

Got a 3.2 motherfucker!!!

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By artofwar420

Kinda bad, kinda good. I really should be more studious, put more effort in stuff. I guess that will be my resolution.

Solarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Solarus

Electromagnetic Fields - B
Rotating Machines - A
Communications Networks - A
Communications Principles - B
Electrical Engineering Design - A

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By dragonzord

3.75. Only because I choked on my math final

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Ok, let me vent a little. I had a bad case of Senioritis last semester, but still managed to get decent grades.   
 My shit:  

Artificial Intelligence: Really I don't understand this professor and never will. I swear even if I write perfect code that satisfies all the requirements, I'll get docked 10% for something like lack of comments. Never have I received anything above 90% regardless of quality. I got a C on my first project, so I went to his office to ask what the hell, because I completed every aspect of the assignment. He literally asked me what grade I wanted. So I said full credit, but he said he could only give me a 90%. What kind of grading system is that? I basically gave up on this guy, and ended up with an A- in the class. 

Software Engineering: Guess what. It's the same professor as above, but for a class I have trouble giving a rats ass about. Software Engineering, I feel, is about the bullshit side of Computer Science, at least in college. Don't get me wrong, it's real important out there where actual shit is being put together, but it's incredibly difficult to apply the techniques used for giant software projects to our one person team project and have it be something meaningful. The project was basically to fake design a newspaper delivery system, something that was never really clear to me in the first place. So I focused all my efforts on coding the thing (at least this part wasn't as boring). In the end I really don't think he cared about the code, but more the Requirements, Design, and Scheduling crap. The project was fake anyway, so I'm basically tasked with designing bullshit and making up numbers that don't exist. There is no point to it, and crap like that really gets under my skin. So, B-

Key Movements (of the Harlem Renaissance): First off I'd like to say I hate writing papers, and good lord did this class require a lot of it. Most of the time I like to get to the point and say what I mean in the shortest most efficient way possible. But, there is always a page requirement with papers, and I always feel that I'm forced to bullshit to fulfill this. If you've read this far, you can probably tell by now that I hate making up shit or bullshiting for bullshiting sake. And always the longer paper gets the better grade. That's as far as my understanding of writing goes though. I can never tell the quality of my papers much beyond that. The paper I thought was the worst quality got the best grade and the rest averaged A-. Also the professor here really prided herself on being strict. She even told a story about how she was glad to get an A- instead of an A back when she had a strict teacher. The class was sort of interesting at first, but by the end I was so sick of writing. And there was also a cute girl I managed to talk and sit next to for the semester. But, in the end never really got a feel for the class or the girl. Grade: A-  

Finite Automata: Once again I manage to sweat the class I get the best grade in. This was an excellent professor, although strict at times, who not only knew his shit, but you also could completely understand what was required of you even if the material was a little tough. I thought the material here was pretty challenging, but I knew I could learn it if I devoted some time. The problem was I never really devoted the time. Luckily homework assignments were required, so I was able to catch up when those were due. Everyone thought they were failing this class, including me, after the first two tests. What was frustrating was that I felt I knew the material, but I always made a few dumb mistakes that I would always get called on. But, the professor softened up and gave us a chance for extra credit. I dominated that extra credit and aced the final test. Grade: A 

General Physics 1: This class is basically a joke. No one ever showed to class, besides me and a few people. All the tests were monstrously curved. The biggest curve I've ever seen in fact. So it basically came down to one question. Are you dumber than everyone else in the class or not? Turns out not. Grade: A-

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By spazmaster666

I kinda stopped caring about grades after I finished my undergrad degree. In pharmacy school, grades aren't that important, well unless you want to do a residency later on but I have no interest in that at all. Still I managed a 91 average this semester without much trouble (could have done better if I put more effort into it . . .).

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Enigma777

Reporting - C 
Human Geography - A (pretty damn good considering that I couldn't understand a single word from my teacher's mouth - His indian/chinese accent was unbelievable)
History of Silent Film - B 
PR Strategy - B (would have had an A if I didn't skip so many classes or read the part of the syllabus that said that if you miss more than 3 classes, you'd get points off your final grade - I missed 7)

I'm just happy I passed Reporting since the average grade in that class was a 58 this semester (no joke). Probably one of the hardest classes I have ever taken and I'm ecstatic that I'm not one of the 45% of my class that are taking it again next semester. I'd rather drink a bucket of semen than do it all over again. 

Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ComradeKritstov
@Bruce said:
" @ComradeKritstov:   I take it you're a math person? "
You could say that.
mcwingstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mcwingstar

Super varied: 

Macroeconomics - 42% 
Behavorial Economics - 56% 
Software Engineering - 78% 
Relational Databases - 92% 

Maybe economics isn't my thing. 

Feels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Feels

5 classes. 3.45 GPA.

Anthony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Anthony

I had to write 4 research papers (12+ pages each) and I nearly burned out my laptop keys from the ungodly amount of notes I had to take. I knew it would be a lot this semester so I bought a cheap netbook to bring to class. The previous 4 years I did all my notes by hand and it was miserable.  

History of the United States: (1916 - 1945) = A- 
American Colonial History = A 
Europe and the French Revolution = B+ 
Japanese Americans in the United States = B+ 
Chinese American Culture - Language and Literature = A 

Graduated this semester with a BA in History and minor in Ethnic Studies. I'm gonna be rich! McDonald's here I come. 

suikoden352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By suikoden352

3.6 for last semester. general biology- A, english comp 2- B, health- B, web page design- A

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poorly. All my exams are taken in the second semester, so all I had to do was focus on coursework this semester. 

Still couldn't force myself to and they were objectively shocking. Got to pull my socks up next term and rip through the work/reading/dissertation. 

Otherwise it's a 3rd for me.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Karl_Boss

My college is still on quarters. I finished with 2 A's and 2 B's

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By beej

4.0 this semester. 

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By SMTDante89

Incredibly average.  Bs in two of my English classes and a D in the other (something about that class was off the second half of the semester, basically gave up on it, will retake it next year and ace it)

C in Journalism (I hated that class, professor was too vague about what she wanted from the assignments) and a C in Physical Science, which is good enough for me (not good at science at all) but now I no longer have to take Science classes, so yeah.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hitchenson

Dropped out in September, so not the best.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Faint

not sure if my gpa system in australia is different to you guys, but 4.0 is a pass here. i got 5.0 overall and next year ill be studying games design

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RE_Player1

Did poorly in some courses and did amazing in others. Hopefully I can bounce back with some hard work. 

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NakAttack

Passed all my classes, two C's(Philosophy and Sociology) and a B (Geology).

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#28  Edited By wwfundertaker

Not had my exams yet (in 10 days time). Wont get my results until the end of 2nd semester because its my final year :)
This is what im predicting hopefully,

Semester one:
Electricity Markets - 70%
Instrumentation and Condition monitoring - 70%
Project management - 75%

Avatar image for purple_proletarius
Purple_Proletarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bruce said:
World Literature (Existentialism), where we read a lot of Chopin and Camus; Sociology in the Modern World  
You studied a non-existentialist in a class about existentialism?
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#30  Edited By Vinchenzo

I'm at a community college so take this with a grain of salt. 

PSY100: A. 
SOC100: A. 
American Civilizations: A. 
MTH101 Quantitative Literacy: A. 

So this semester's GPA is 4.0. Cumulative after I think 40 or so semester credits is 3.85.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FourWude
@Purple_Proletarius said:
" @Bruce said:
World Literature (Existentialism), where we read a lot of Chopin and Camus; Sociology in the Modern World  
You studied a non-existentialist in a class about existentialism? "
Maybe they studied him from the perspective of existentialism? Maybe they studied him purely from an absurdist perspective? Maybe the teacher just gone done fucked up, who knows?
defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By defaulttag

Nutrition and Metabolism: A 
Pharmacology: A 
Pathophysiology: A 
Intro to Nursing Fundamentals: B 
Therapeutic Communication: A

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bruce
@Purple_Proletarius:  

The professor switched gears mid-semester; but before that, she somehow worked in a lot of Chopin with all of the the Theatre of the Absurd / Kafka / Camus we were reading.
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FourWude

I don't want to piss on anyones parade here, but either you're all extremely smart or your respective education systems are handing out high grades like it's going out of fashion.

I'm not tooting my own horn here, but to achieve the best grades you have to do something special, extraordinary, to be classified as such. I suspect with a prevalence of bell curve marking systems and declining standards, some of you, though not all, are being pumped up artificially. But then it's all relative, I suppose.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Demyx

lol, a 2.2 i think. Pretty bad. I haven't gotten an A since i first started, and im starting my 3rd semester in spring. Part of me wants to transfer, but I've already met soooo many people, that I couldn't bear leaving.. But i mean, did get 3 D's last spring, im still improving!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus

3 B's and a C. I am disappointed in myself.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Noodles

I dropped out. 

Well, I'm taking a semester off, but 'dropped out' sounds more fun.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

English University seems a little different, we don't take 'classes' as such, you pick your subject you study and every module revolves around it. 3 of my optional modules were only 1 semester long, [Math's for Scientists, Physics for Scientists, Special Topics in Chemistry 1] and are finished but my core modules [Inorganic Chem, Organic Chem, Laboratory, Physical Chem] are 80% based around exams around the end of the academic year.

Between the modules I finished and small end of semester tests I got ~70% average.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By BrittonPeele

I took 6 classes, got five As and one B. The one B was a senior level English course on subject matter that I have little to no interest in.

I only have this coming Spring semester left, then I'm done with school for good. Thank God.

Kragun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kragun

Introduction to Computing and Fortran: B 
American Literature from 1880-1960: B+ 
Buddhist Traditions: B- 
Elementary Russian: A 

It was great taking introductory courses in my last year.  So much more enjoyable than the nuclear engineering courses which made me want to kill myself.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I passed all 4 classes I took (Chemistry, English Composition, College Algebra, and A College prep course).

3 C's and one B. I'm doing my core classes at a Community College right now, and I'm going to send an application to a University sometime soon (I'll start tomorrow). Hopefully I'll get accepted, but in the meantime I'll be taking another semester at CC.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By medacris

An A, a few B's, and one C. The C was from a teacher who really seemed to dislike me, so I was relieved, but of course, my parents reacted to it as if someone had died.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#43  Edited By wefwefasdf
@beej said:
" 4.0 this semester.  "
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Animasta
@Noodles said:

" I dropped out.   Well, I'm taking a semester off, but 'dropped out' sounds more fun. "

I always take a break during the summer courses; not because I need the break, but because I live in Las Vegas and I ride my bike to campus, I can't ride my bike in 100+ heat :/
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SSully

Five classes, All B's and A's, I ended up with 3.4 GPA

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By AndrewGaspar

This was my first semester. It had its highs and lows, but I finished up pretty strong with a 3.902. 

Calculus II: This was surprisingly my hardest class all semester, though I've heard Calculus II is the hardest of the Calc classes. For awhile, I was worried about holding a B, but eventually I was able to push my grade up to an A-. That was my lowest grade this semester. 

Technical Communication: This was my second hardest class. Lots of memos. It was just very dull, and it was the class I spent the least amount of time on. I was able to pull off an A, though. 

Computer Science: First real comp sci class. My high school classes were terrible. Learned a lot, did well, got an A. woot. 

Foundations of Business: Studied Econ, Accounting, and Finance. All pretty easy. Got an A. 

Leadership: Dumbest class ever. Got an A 

Creativity 101: This was my honors seminar.  It was a really fun class that encouraged us to think outside the box and think creatively. Got an A+! Oorah.

LadyShayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LadyShayne

Not too bad...  

3D Modeling & Animation III: A- (This was the last class I took before the break. I honestly thought I was going to lose my mind in the class, so the grade is a nice little Christmas present) 
Game Design & Game Play: A- (A lot of discussion on "What is Game Play?" and "Can it be defined?" along with creating better game interfaces & new tech) 
3D Modeling & Animation II: C+ (Don't ask) 
Low Poly Modeling & Animation: B+ (I appreciate the folks that can make low poly characters look good) 

My gpa is a 3.7 so I guess I can't complain...much.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Bruce
@LadyShayne:  

Do you go to an Arts College?
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Azteck

I did great in every subject besides math, which I failed completely. UGH.

wafflesrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By wafflesrock

Film major with no film classes for the first semester... -.- 
I got all my gen eds done though. And I wrote a 10 page paper on sex education. Woo.