#1 Edited by Hizang (8534 posts) -

So my channel has been up for a while, I stopped updating it around the time MGS4 came out, because I was lost all the video I used to make my MGS tribute videos. Well I logged in today to discover You-Tube want me to be a partner? Now for those that don't know being a partner is a pretty big deal, you can only become one if you get a large amount of trafic to your profile page and You-Tube think they could do good by putting ads on the side of your video.

The cool thing is that although there will be an ad box at the side of the video and possibly an add at the start of the video, each time somebody clicks on that I get some money. I don't know how much money exactly but I know some You-Tubers that make there living off of that, I will not be able to do that because I am not really a popular You-Tuber. I think You-Tube saw my one video that has 21,000 views and wanted some of that hot action.

So I accepted to the message and if they will get back to me in 48 hours, now it says no copywrited stuff but all my videos are just MGS footage with a song in the backround. Now that is ovoiusly copywrited, but You-Tube sent me a message asking to be one, so they must have known right?

here is the 21,000 video, though its a good video, its not my best. The weird thing is some of my best ones have stupidly low counts like 300 views. Here is my channel.

So is anybody else a You-Tube partner?

#2 Posted by Baillie (4025 posts) -

You're not a YouTube partner, you can just monetize your videos, partners get other perks. I would be one, but I have 2 strikes on my account for copyrighted grounds.

Anyway, I'm the same as you, here's my biggest video.

This is my channel.

#3 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

Not to burst anyone's bubbles, but youtube asked me the same thing when I uploaded my first video. I don't think it has much to do with views or quality of videos. I uploaded a single Battlefield 3 gameplay video and got the email almost instantaneously.

#4 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Chances are its only a few cents. And they have to click it. Meaning go to that site. 99% of people just hit the X.  

Turns out I also can get this Adsense thing. Maybe ill try it to get a little extra money...A LITTLE. Maybe Ill go back to doing my Half life 2 LP. 

#5 Posted by SpaceRunaway (826 posts) -

Youtube is always emailing me telling me to monetize my videos, and all of my videos are just cutscene rips of PSOne games.  I haven't logged on to my account in literally years, either (until tonight).  The Suikoden II opening video I uploaded has 175k in views, which strikes me as kind of hilarious.

#6 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Baillie: Oh, well i feel less special..

#7 Posted by darkvare (757 posts) -

youtube sent werever tu morro to the london olympics for thosse unfamiliar werever tu morro is mexicos #1 on subscribers with like 2 million subscribers

#8 Posted by Funrush (70 posts) -

@Baillie said:

You're not a YouTube partner, you can just monetize your videos, partners get other perks. I would be one, but I have 2 strikes on my account for copyrighted grounds.

This is my channel.

What are the perks that partners get that monetizers don't?

#9 Posted by SniperXan (223 posts) -

I've monetized but I don't get any views lol here is my most recent one that has some hits. Slender videos are all the rage right now I guess.

#10 Edited by Bollard (5195 posts) -

@Funrush said:

@Baillie said:

This is my channel.

What are the perks that partners get that monetizers don't?

Partners get adverts on all their content, not just stuff that Youtube has selected as having revenue potential. They can do some cool shit with their homepage which other people can't do, like have banners and links embedded in their background. Also they can have their own custom "subscribe" image next to the sub button. Things like that. Monetizers just get to put an ad on a video if Youtube decides it's worth it.

I had the opportunity to do the same a long time ago, back when I didn't neglect my account. At like ~500 subscribers and my best video having 200,000 views, I had some hope I could make some money, but failed on accounts of copyright. In fact it was only really recently Youtube finally backed down on some ancient ass copyright issues and allowed me to upload videos longer than 15 mins for the first time. It's been really interesting to see how they handle copyrighted stuff change - from it being immediately banned, to having audio stripped out, to instead having the copyright holder being entitled to have AdSense ads on the video which make money for them, and then how that in some countries it was still banned and others have adverts... That stuff is weird.

Also, this thread is old, and the guy who bumped it makes literally no sense.

EDIT: Ahahaha, this thread just made me go check my second YouTube Account. The video with the highest views on there I have easily smashes my highest view count (by an extra 36,000). I'm quite chuffed. Also, it's the 6th result if you just search "pokemon glitch" in Youtube, how epic is that?

God damn I'm so weirdly proud I found that shit.

#11 Posted by MrJorOwe (278 posts) -

I accidentally got almost 1 million views on a terrible COD World at War glitch video I made years ago. I wish I could have gotten paid for that somehow.

But yeah, it just sounds like you are allowed the adsense thing and are not a full youtube partner perhaps