• 93 results
#1 Posted by EdgeKasey (130 posts) -

And now I crave more....

Anybody have any anime recommendations for fans of this series?

#2 Posted by awesomeusername (4173 posts) -

I don't watch much anime but AOT is so good. I'm proud of you for finishing it random guy. :')

#3 Posted by GnaTSoL (793 posts) -

I think stopped at episode 20 or something. Need to get back to it. hopefully it revs up and gets as good as the first 6-7 episodes. All-time great episodes right there.

#4 Posted by EdgeKasey (130 posts) -
#5 Posted by Brodehouse (9847 posts) -

Watch Evangelion because lols.

#6 Posted by Athadam (684 posts) -

I'm not a big anime guy, but AoT certainly felt disappointing as the season progressed. It started out really fresh and strong, but went in a very typical direction.

Another good show that you should check out is Kill La Kill.

#7 Posted by Turambar (6733 posts) -

Depends on what you liked about the series. The tone? The action? Recommendations can go in different directions depending. Or you can just read the manga as well. It's still being published on a monthly basis and scanlated versions of them exist.

#8 Posted by SargeGulp (239 posts) -

@turambar said:

Depends on what you liked about the series. The tone? The action? Recommendations can go in different directions depending. Or you can just read the manga as well. It's still being published on a monthly basis and scanlated versions of them exist.

This, the usual suspects are neon genesis evangelion(which is very similar to AOT) and cowboy bebop, quirky addition might be something like FLCL/Trigun. Personally ghost in the shell, both the films and the stand alone complex series are some of my favourite anime. Also Gurren Lagann and Ergo Proxy but if the tone is specifically what you're after and not HQ modern production I'd add Berserk as well.

#9 Edited by LackingSaint (1786 posts) -

I personally followed it up with Dangan Ronpa which is a much lighter show, but still has that sort of "Who's going to die?" tension I was craving post-AoT.

And yeah, Neon Genesis Evangelion is a good shout. Excellent show with a similar premise to AoT but a very different vibe. Just be warned that the actual ending to the series is super disappointing, and you need to watch the anime movie End of Evangelion to get the real climax. I'll also throw in a recommendation for Death Note just because I fucking love that anime, although it's really nothing like AoT.

#10 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

And now I crave more....

Anybody have any anime recommendations for fans of this series?

Try HunterXHunter the new adaption that is currently running.

#11 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1563 posts) -

AoT was probably the most frustrating anime I have ever watched. Like, I get it, the world is grim. But let the heroes have a tiny victory once in a while. It just became a boring series to watch. Also I agree with LackingSaint, Death Note is very good, and it got so ridiculously over-the-top at the end I laughed a bit. In a good way.

#12 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Cowboy Bebop

#13 Edited by EdgeKasey (130 posts) -

Thanks for the recommendations. :)

I guess I was a little vague, I have tried Evangelion in the and past couldn't get into it... although it has been awhile.

My wife reads mangas, while I would like to I don't have the time to actually read anything anymore (I've resorted to audio books as a way to maximise my time and get some "reading" in).....only so much time (work) and too many hobbies (games/films) :p

Of the animes mentioned I've seen Ghost in the Shell and Berserk.

What I liked about AoT was the production quality and the tone. While I would agree with @athadam that I felt the show did get weaker the last half I still very much enjoyed it. But damn the first half had me on the edge of my seat.

I also recently watched Rwby on youtube and while i liked the characters and animation I found it frustrating that some episodes were like 5 minutes long..... -_-

I have heard of Kill La Kill but not seen anything...a couple others I'm looking into are The Devil is a Part-timer! and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet.

Also just checked out the synopsis of Dangan Ronpa and that sounds pretty interesting @lackingsaint

I love anime but not many of the people i really know are into anime, let alone games much thus i have a hard time finding great stuff or what people are really into or even to talk about them.

Thanks again :)

#14 Edited by Xeiphyer (5602 posts) -

Man, AoT has the biggest pacing issues I've seen in a very long time. I gave up on the anime about half way through, but ended up going back and finishing it for some unknown reason. It redeemed itself somewhat in the end, but it still felt pretty mediocre outside of the awesome combat scenes.

Like really, outside of the awesome combat scenes, most of that show sucks. They never really tell you anything about the universe or reveal any mysteries, and the main character is awful!

But damn, those fight scenes...!

#15 Edited by Aegon (5485 posts) -
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Vanilla
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Welcome to the NHK
#16 Posted by Budwyzer (569 posts) -

Hellsing Ultimate?

The new season of Archer just started up again yesterday.

Dragon Ball Z ( Not KAI, that remake is shit. Ah hell, who am I kidding? Watch them both!)

#17 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

Gurren lagann is crazy over the top if you are looking for that ( I still have the music from that show stuck in my head...)

Steins;gate might also be for you. it's a really well made show that puts a little twist on the time travel concept

#18 Edited by GaspoweR (2955 posts) -

Yeah the Hunter x Hunter remake (it's on Crunchyroll) has been pretty good from what I've seen. I dunno if you'll like this but Darker Than Black (It's on Netflix) is also another anime I'd recommend.

Also FMA: Brotherhood (also on Netflix but the final season isn't on there last time I checked so I had to go somewhere else for the last 10 or 12 eps.) is also another recommendation.

#19 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@gaspower: YEah Brotherhood is great as well.

Also people do not recommend Deathnote The ending totally kills this anime.

#20 Posted by Azurath (296 posts) -

Depends on your taste and on what level you appreciate hobbies. Most anime that comes out (and by most I mean close to all) are schlock. Terrible writing overflowing with cliches, bad animation, poor pacing, etc.

If you just want to waste precious free time, just watch anything on Netflix. If you are willing to sit down and give it your full attention though, giving Evangellion another shot isn't a bad place to start. Comedy wise, there is no anime that is as cleverly written as School Rumble, specifically the English dub (it's extremely rare that the English dubbing of an anime trumps the original, so that alone puts SR above a lot of other shows for a lot of people). It's on Netflix, I think, as well so it's easy to get. The first few archs of Bleach are really well done and they were also available on Netflix last time I checked.

Just avoid harems if you don't want to burn yourself out on the medium within a week. To save you the trouble. Average guy walking to school, pretty young girl he has never seen bumps/falls onto/ runs past him. He meets up with his female childhood friend (who sits next to him in class) and suddenly the teacher exclaims the class has a new transfer student. In walks the mysterious girl he saw early, cue love triangle (or pentagon depending on the level of stupidity). There, that is every harem ever.

#21 Posted by Humanity (9050 posts) -

Cowboy Bebop

Not sure how this isn't the first answer in every anime thread ever.

I guess I'm spoiled because when I was in High School and going through that anime phase I got to watch shows like Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, Serial Experiments Lain, Now and Then Here and There. Meaningful, beautifully made anime. Heck I'll even put Evangelion on there since I liked it a lot despite the complete mess of a plot it has. Even weaker shows like RahXephon had seriously touching stories. These new-age shows, I dunno man.. people keep saying Kill La Kill is really good, but I continue watching it and it's so trite. I guess it's what people like these days. At least it's better than Chobits.

#22 Edited by Budwyzer (569 posts) -

@humanity said:

@xalienxgreyx said:

Cowboy Bebop

Not sure how this isn't the first answer in every anime thread ever.

Because, Fooly Cooly

Also, BTOOOM was a lot better than expected. You may try that one, since you're cool with subs.

Everyone remember when Tenchi Muyo was a thing?

I do remember Project A-Ko. (it's really old)

Also along the same lines was the miniseries, Read or Die. Or was that a movie?

I remember seeing my first anime when I was a kid. It was about a kid that finds out he's an alien, and his parents are about to invade Earth. He has a motorcycle that he rides, then finds out it turns into a hover-bike. Anyone know WTF this show (possibly a movie as well) is called?

#23 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

@xeiphyer: You summed up my feelings on the show. Great action, terrible writing.

#24 Edited by David (130 posts) -

I'm going to give you some recommendations of animes that are completely different than what most people have mentioned here but I liked. Also these are nothing like Attack Of Titan so it's not really what the point of this was.

Kaiji, Akagi, Hajime No Ippo, Major and One Outs.

There are a few awesome animes that I don't see recommended too often even though they should be.

#25 Edited by Humanity (9050 posts) -

@budwyzer: Tenchi Muyo was awesome. Project A-ko equally great. Then there are all the classic shows: Guyver, Bubblegum Crisis, Gunsmith Cats, Dominion effin Tank Police. Hey man even Kite and Mezzo Forte, technically hentai, but they had awesome animation and amazing fight sequences.

I mean how can you not love this intro? Hot ass beats.

Also! - @edgekasey you should watch Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie because it has the quote "you think you're the only person that can turn into a car? Now I'm a car too!" and that's only 1/10th of the insanity.

Amazing soundtrack

#26 Edited by LackingSaint (1786 posts) -

@xeiphyer said:

Man, AoT has the biggest pacing issues I've seen in a very long time. I gave up on the anime about half way through, but ended up going back and finishing it for some unknown reason. It redeemed itself somewhat in the end, but it still felt pretty mediocre outside of the awesome combat scenes.

Like really, outside of the awesome combat scenes, most of that show sucks. They never really tell you anything about the universe or reveal any mysteries, and the main character is awful!

Why is it a downside that they don't explain the world or reveal mysteries? I find it really refreshing to have a series that isn't desperate to tell you everything about their sick lore and awesome plot-twists.

Agreed about the pacing problems, but to be honest i've been spending the last few months doing nothing but reading classic literature for my degree course, and two episodes of monologueing preceding giant monster battles are a cakewalk compared to ten chapters of conversation preceding leaving the house. Also thought they've had an admirable restraint in how often Eren goes Titan.

#27 Edited by EdgeKasey (130 posts) -

@xeiphyer said:

Why is it a downside that they don't explain the world or reveal mysteries? I find it really refreshing to have a series that isn't desperate to tell you everything about their sick lore and awesome plot-twists.

Agreed about the pacing problems, but to be honest i've been spending the last few months doing nothing but reading classic literature for my degree course, and two episodes of monologueing preceding giant monster battles are a cakewalk compared to ten chapters of conversation preceding leaving the house. Also thought they've had an admirable restraint in how often Eren goes Titan.

I agree, I enjoyed not knowing what was up with the world. It was what made the first season of Lost so good...unfortunately they couldn't capitalize on that lol

Thanks again everyone, this should definitely keep me busy!

#28 Posted by Skyfire543 (677 posts) -

GURREN LAGANN.

Also, AoT sucked.

#29 Posted by DeadpanCakes (839 posts) -
@xeiphyer said:

Good god, I forgot how great the animation was in that anime. One of these days I will finally finish it though, so I can fully articulate why I dislike it beyond "I really hated the main character."

Anyway @edgekasey, Gurren Lagann has great production quality, and while none of the action was really as intense as AoT, it's very stylistic, and I felt like the action was meaningful. Kill la KIll is directed and written by the same people as Gurren Lagann, and its music is composed by AoT's composer, I believe. The thing about Kill la Kill, though, is I don't really feel comfortable recommending something that hasn't concluded yet. While I'm enjoying it, I feel like I'm not quite sure what the endgame is with it, and that there's not enough happening currently for me to be as excited as the show wants me to be. The counter to that being that I felt the same way about Gurren Lagann, but ended up loving it. Anyway, I'd say avoid Kill la Kill until it's complete, and watch Gurren Lagann for now.

Also, I'll second Cowboy Bebop, Welcome to the NHK (this is a personal favorite), and FLCL. Keep in mind, though, that I've only started getting into anime recently as well, so I don't have too much knowledge to share.

#30 Posted by Petiew (1344 posts) -

AKB0048

#31 Posted by Sinusoidal (1409 posts) -

@xeiphyer said:

Whatever you do, don't read the manga. The art is not good, and just when things start to pick up, they slow back down to an interminable crawl. It's fast becoming one of those series that will never end despite the creator insisting he's got an end in mind. One thing that is supremely pissing me off is: early on, they reveal that there's a huge clue to the mystery of what titans are in the main character's - who just so happens to be a titan - childhood home's basement. They then spend the next volume and a half not fucking going there. I'm up to date on the manga, and they still haven't gone there. It's like they forgot about the most important plot point of the whole thing and are wasting their time farting about in the woods chapter after chapter after chapter. I don't even fucking know what's going on anymore.

#32 Posted by OtakuGamer (1227 posts) -

Ended on a really shitty note. I hope there's another season. I would say Claymore would be a fitting match for Attack on Titan.

#33 Posted by EdgeKasey (130 posts) -

Ended on a really shitty note. I hope there's another season. I would say Claymore would be a fitting match for Attack on Titan.

Good call, I really enjoyed Claymore, I defintely plan to go back and revisist that someday.

#34 Posted by Flappy (2195 posts) -

I gave up on AoT after episode...6 (right after You-Know-Who comes back). Fuck that guy.

#35 Posted by golguin (3874 posts) -

@otakugamer said:

Good call, I really enjoyed Claymore, I defintely plan to go back and revisist that someday.

From where the manga is currently at it seems like Claymore is ending. Once the fight they are currently engaged in is completed there are no more antagonists left to fight. The world and political situation that created the Claymores still exists, but I don't believe the characters have any current means of opening that route up.

There is definitely enough material for a full second season. They can just go the FMA Brotherhood route and wait till it's done.

#36 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4338 posts) -

Don't be a dick to the OP

#37 Posted by Random45 (1128 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

Don't be a dick to the OP

Agreed. I watched that show at my friend's recommendation, and I thought it was one of the worst things I have seen. I have NO idea why people enjoy it honestly. It basically encompasses everything I hate about anime. The only redeeming factor to the entire show is the ending, just because it's just so batshit insane that it stops being bad and goes into insane territory.

And because I like going against the grain, I'm going to recommend something not at all like AoT, but I think it's fantastic and everyone should watch it regardless: Clannad.

I hate stupid high school romance shows, but this show pulls it off so perfectly, that I'm totally cool with it. Though honestly, the second season is the real reason to even bother with the stupid high school first half. Though like almost every anime ever, the ending kind of leaves a lot to be desired.

#38 Posted by core1065 (543 posts) -

Read the manga, it gets even crazier!

#39 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5404 posts) -

I will always recommend One Piece, because even though that show involves a serious time commitment, it's amazing.

I'll also throw out Yu Yu Hakakusho, the first 14 episodes of Sword Art Online(It gets really dumb after that point and I feel you can get a satisfying narrative arc by simply watching up to then.), Kill La Kill, Cowboy Bebop, and Full metal Alchemist Brotherhood as far as action shows go.

#40 Edited by Tajasaurus (841 posts) -

#41 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (4918 posts) -

stopped watching for lack of waifus

#42 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -
#43 Posted by golguin (3874 posts) -

stopped watching for lack of waifus

If you didn't find a waifu while watching Attack on Titan you need to look harder.

#44 Edited by EdgeKasey (130 posts) -

Checked out the first couple episodes of Gurren Lagann, good call on that one. Will definitely be going through that, Kamina is great! lol

Got a bunch of great recommendations from y'all, so thank you much! I'm looking forward to going through these over the next while!

This place is the best.

:)

Also @skyfire543 what did you not like about AoT if you don't mind me asking? Do you have the same gripes as others regarding post episode 6-7? Or other reasons?

#45 Edited by chkdsk1991 (30 posts) -

No fate/zero recommendations? I'll be that guy, watch Fate/Zero. Don't judge that show by the first episode, it starts slow but gets amazing(and the art/soundtrack are top-notch).

I also enjoyed Stein's Gate, while it starts slow the characters are instantly likeable and it gets really interesting if you like time related shenanigans.

#46 Edited by DinosaurCanada (94 posts) -

You should play the fan-made browser game (not mine), it's fun as shit.

EDIT: I personally had problems with it past episodes 6-7, but I didn't stop watching. It has a great mystery to it, and also Spiderman and the Hulk with swords fuck am I gonna not watch it

#47 Posted by StudsMcKewl (68 posts) -

As someone that is also not really in to anime all that much, Attack on Titan was truly great.

#48 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5141 posts) -

I liked the first half, but the second half was terrible.

#49 Edited by Zalrus9 (108 posts) -

Try Macross! I think Macross Frontiers is rather good, so long as you're okay with the Pop music interludes, but definitely watch Macross Plus, as it's by the guy what made Cowboy Bebop (and you should watch that if you have not already).

Also Welcome to the NHK is one of the few animes that doesn't make me cringe. A great recommendation!

#50 Posted by dudeglove (7740 posts) -