Does the guy look like this?

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By teh_destroyer

I did that once at a gas station, guy said he ran out of gas and his girlfriend took all his money. Me not knowing any better, I gave the guy $10 for gas to get him where he needed to go. Needless to say, I watched the dude walk down the street, take out his wallet and saw he took two $20's out of it with the $10 I just gave him, then he got into a SUV and drove away with his girlfriend in it. Never letting anybody scam me like that again.

Avatar image for deathmachine117
Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Deathmachine117

No unless its one of my friends I think I will keep my money to myself.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Three0neFive

@pyromagnestir said:

I saw a scam like this on a history channel program about con artists. The guy would have a broken cell phone and say I didn't bring cash and my dropped my phone and I need to get back home for whatever reason and ask for 20 bucks for a cab. Made me think if I was homeless I'd save up to buy a decent suit and pull this on people rather than just begging. Pull it off five times and I'm set for a hotel, a shower, and a couple meals. Then do it all again tomorrow. Hell I might start doing it now, only I'd probably have to clean myself up a bit to pull it off.

Thing is, when you're homeless and desperate, the short-term solution of forgetting your problems in a haze of cheap drugs and alcohol > the long-term solution of saving your scraps for something that might not even pan-out.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#55  Edited By pyromagnestir

@FritzDude: Hey! Alright that was the guy from the show I was talking about!

@Three0neFive: While that might be true for many homeless people, in this theoretical scenario where I'm homeless I don't think it would be true for me. And hell maybe I'd steal the suit and save myself the trouble of saving up.

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Pox22

@pyromagnestir: Just check out some thrift stores and buy a suit for $10.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By louiedog

There was a deaf man who used to hang around the campus where I went to college and try to get money from people. He would ask for help getting somewhere and use the communication barrier to act increasingly frustrated, frantic, and desperate until the person gave him money so he could take a cab. Eventually he chose me to pull this on, but what he didn't know is that I know sign language. It really pissed him off when I answered his question and gave him directions to the train and told him where to transfer and get where he was going.

Lokno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#58  Edited By Lokno

I've gotten the fast-talking con a few times, and I've decided on a simple policy of not giving out cash. I can offer charitable help in other ways, but I just can't believe these stories, regardless of how convincing they may be in the moment.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#59  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Pox22: But that's just not as fun. Theoretically. Although I guess I'm banking on not getting shot for trying to steal a suit. That would be the least fun. But who gets shot for shoplifting these days? It's not like I'd run into the suit store with a gun and try and take it that way. If anything if caught I'd try to play it off as accidental, and worse case I'd spend a few days in jail. (not prison, jail)

Really I wouldn't even need a suit. I'd just have to not look homeless, and look presentable and trustworthy. On second thought this plan might not work.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By AgnosticJesus

You just helped a junkie get his fix. Their tactics are ever changing but I've noticed an increase in using children in their ruse. Never trust anyone asking for money. The child thing is for added sympathy.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61  Edited By hockeymask27

One time I guy came up to me with two suit cases and said he need money for a taxi to get back to his friends house. He said he'd give me the two suit cases and he'd come back with the money ad his friends car to get them. I was at a mall so when I started looking for a way around this creepo he got mad at me for not looking at him while he talked. I just said no I got class in 5mins sorry got to go and walked into another store quickly.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Poppduder

Being in Chicago, I hear bullshit scams like this every day. Especially at Union Station, people always say that they got robbed or left their wallet on the train and need to get back to such-and-such suburb to get their kids. Somone wearing alligator skin dress shoes had the audacity to pull one of those scams on me. its like dude, I can see the Gucci inscribed on your girlfriends purse, shes standing right the fuck behind you.

In the grand scheme of things its good to give people who need help money if you can afford it, I certainly do. But where it becomes a problem for me is when they lie about it. Be honest if you're trying to get money from me. If you want it for a fifth of whiskey, just tell me... I love whiskey too.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By NTM

I have done something similar with a friend, but felt like an idiot as I was doing it and after, but it also had nothing to do with money. One time it was snowing, and this guy had hit someone else's car since he slid into it, and there was a big dent in it, but since he was stuck and couldn't leave because of the how much snow was on the ground and how icy it was, my friend and I had helped push his car as he got in and tried to drive off when he had asked us to. He said "I'll come back later and tell them." But I know he was in a hurry to just get the fuck out of there so no one noticed it. So, in sense, that kind of thing did happen, but the scamming part didn't. I told my friend right then and there that I do believe we just let him leave. That was back in 07 or 08 I think. Should have gotten his license and told the people that lived at the house.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By Hosstile17

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Man, you got hosed.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By TheHumanDove

I'd never give money to anyone thats up in my face. Including this one street magician who approached me and said "Hey, do you like magic?" and I replied "Uhh, I'm good thanks." After saying that, he began to perform his voodoo, etc with cards and sleeves and the whole shebang. Since he was standing in my way, I paused to watch some of it. I shrugged, said "cool" and then walked past him, as he looked on in anger that I hadn't given him money for his unwanted 'performance'. Good times.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By AgnosticJesus

Had he really locked himself of his apartment he only would have had to call the rental office and the on call maintenance man would have unlocked it. How much did he swindle you for?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By PeasantAbuse

The only time I've ever given money to a stranger was to some homeless looking dude that asked me for beer money outside of a gas station. Dude was honest.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By BoFooQ

so this guys plan was to leave his 2 year old even longer, you should have just called the cops. Tell him to break down the door than get his own cash and pay someone to fix door.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#70  Edited By Slag

@Zurgfrog said:

so I guess what im asking is whether any of you have done something similar and if in fact I did get ripped off?

yes once to make the person go away as the person was scaring my date.

and yes nearly anyone who is that in your face about it is likely running a scam. It's an old tactic.

I really hope you did not give him your name, number or address.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By Morrow

I've been giving money away like this too, usually around five bucks. I don't mind it and if the person needs it, why not.

pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By pigmartyr

Its getting pretty ridiculous in Tennessee with the begging and panhandling. Our state government actually legalized begging provided that the person get a license and what not and display it when begging. Technically its not begging because they require the person to wear a vest with the credentials on it and sell these little newspapers funnily enough named "The Contributor". They aren't allowed to ask for money or really talk to you. The problem is that its increased the amount of non-licensed begging by 100x. There are almost no major intersections or off ramps that dont have people begging for money at them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, you got hosed ya rube.

Here's a rule to live by, never give strangers money unless it's for them to either take off or put on clothes. Either that or pay in punch dollars.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By intro

I gave a guy $5 when I was in Florida fora bus. Don't really care what he spent it on though. I also gave a guy $20 online because he wanted the Gears DLC and I enjoyed playing with him in the past. He seemed to be a nice person and I had the money so I gave it to him.

I should save my money more, I give to others too much.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By stryker1121

I've had people ask me for money, and when I said I had nothing on me, had the balls to inquire if they could accompany me to a bank machine so I could take out money for them. Ah, no Peg.

RUDEMIESTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By RUDEMIESTER

I give money away ALL the time.

I work near a homeless shelter in the city so everyday I get at least 20 different people asking me for some spare change and i'm always happy to spare anything that I could in fact spare. When I get paid, I like to put away $50 - $100 bucks for the homeless near the shelter. I try to help mostly women and anyone I see with a kid, but I don't tell them NO based on their gender or situation.

I also don't mind helping a junkie get their next fix either because it's not in my place to ask or to even care about where his money is going. As long as I could help, i'm happy to spare a little something.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Swindled. Usually if somebody on the street says they are hungry and want some money for food, I offer to just bring them food instead.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By iam3green

i'll give a person some change if i have some. if not then i'll ignore them.

i would be like do you want me to call them for you? i live in a town so there isn't any begging really. i've seen in downtown part.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only time I've given money to a stranger is when I lost my wallet.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By SpartyOn

If I know anything about con artists, it's that their beginner/short cons usually involve a story with a lot of details to overwhelm the person, even though the coherence of the story doesn't hold up under close scrutiny. You got played son.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#81  Edited By Tireyo

We'll see what happens... you'll see what happens!

Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Foxtrot0245

Next time, save the cash and use it as toilet paper. It's as much of a waste of money, but at least then you can have a story about how you were so rich at one time that you actually wiped your ass with dollar bills.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#83  Edited By stonyman65

7 words.

GET. THE. FUCK. OUT. OF. MY. FACE.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By MikeGosot

I don't give money to anyone. I do give food to homeless people, so...

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86  Edited By Dalai

What's really strange is that I had locked myself out of my apartment with my 2 year old daughter sleeping inside so I asked this guy for some money so I can take a cab to my mother's house for the key. Good thing my mother lived a few blocks away so I walked there instead. So I ended up using the money to but some meth. Thanks, bro.

Joe_Wildheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Joe_Wildheart

You were politely mugged my friend. Always happens where I live, drug addicts hang round the bus or train station ask for 50p because they are short of the cash. Does my head in.

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Flawed_System

I've never given money to random people. I don't live in a city, don't take the subway or train, and I just drive to work.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Most likely scammed.

Hunt him down, exact the law.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By jmfinamore

I tend to give money to people if there just honest about it and don't make up a crazy story. The other week a homeless guy asked me for some change so he could get a cup of coffee, so I gave it to him (he did buy the coffee I saw).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@MegaLombax said:

There's always that chance he's telling the truth but in the world we live in now

Yes because people from before never would even dream of taking money from someone by guilt-tripping them.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#92  Edited By big_jon

I have been stranded, I still did not ask for money, so fuck that.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#93  Edited By rachelepithet

Zurgfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Zurgfrog

Well yah maybe I should just stop being so nice to strangers and I guess you could say that I did get polity mugged, it was at around 12 30 at night and I was by myself and didn't really want to risk him pulling a knife or something, but now I guess I learned my lesson and have some more tips for if it ever happens again. Thanks Dudders

dachen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By dachen

I ran into a few of those types at a train station a while back. Told me he needed the money for a ticket back home and they were stranded, so I just offered to buy him one. He turned around instantly and said no. I wonder why.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#96  Edited By samfo

@Zurgfrog said:

Now normally when someone asks me for money I never so much as look in their direction, but this guy was pretty up in my face so I guess I caved and decided to give the money that he was asking for.

Brilliant!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@MegaLombax said:

There's always that chance he's telling the truth but in the world we live in now

Yes because people from before never would even dream of taking money from someone by guilt-tripping them.

I love the idea that somehow the good old days were safer and people were more honest. It's this stupid little argument people just feel is true and present it as fact with no evidence.

Tonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Tonic7

I find it so strange that so many people carry cash on themselves these days! I suppose with the advent of charge-for-withdrawl ATMs, this would be the case...still, I rarely carry cash on me. Most often, the answer is as simple as that truth.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By MegaLombax

@allworkandlowpay: From where I come from, this is true. People used to be less dodgy and it generally was a safer place to live in. I guess its more of a personal truth. An overgeneralization of my statement I admit, but there really is no need to be snarky *shrugs*