So I Just Listened to Mastodon's Crack the Skye....

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

.......And as someone who never listened to the band before their latest creation (a friend burned it for me, where he got it from probably isn't legal...) I am proud to say that I am now a fan of Mastodon. I'm enjoying the instrumental versions of the tracks more than the with vocals versions but it's overall a pretty kick ass piece of music.

But now I ask you all, where do I go from here? I've been told they scream a lot more on previous stuff, which seems like it would be a big turnoff for me, but I wanna hear from you guys.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

They've progressively become less heavy on each album, so if you prefer their proggy sound I'd go with Blood Mountain next. If you like the instrumental stuff, listen to songs like "Pendulous Skin", "Elephant Man", and "Joseph Merrick".

You can also legally listen to all of their songs on their Myspace page

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

Listen to Leviathan.

Also, if you don't dig their vocals, drink a case of brew and grow some hair on your chest.  Be a man about it!
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

i love me some mastodon .....

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By GobiasIndustries

I love Mastodon.

I've only listened to this album once...and I'm not digging it a lot so far. I don't even like metal (with the exception of Mastodon, The Sword, and Black Sabbath), and I don't know, the album just kind of left me yearning for Mastodon's metalness.

Maybe it will grow on me

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OneEyedNinja7
GobiasIndustries said:
"I love Mastodon. I've only listened to this album once...and I'm not digging it a lot so far. I don't even like metal (with the exception of Mastodon, The Sword, and Black Sabbath), and I don't know, the album just kind of left me yearning for Mastodon's metalness.Maybe it will grow on me"
I have similar feelings, but it might be because I wanted more songs.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187
OneEyedNinja7 said:
"GobiasIndustries said:
"I love Mastodon. I've only listened to this album once...and I'm not digging it a lot so far. I don't even like metal (with the exception of Mastodon, The Sword, and Black Sabbath), and I don't know, the album just kind of left me yearning for Mastodon's metalness.Maybe it will grow on me"
I have similar feelings, but it might be because I wanted more songs. "
I will say that the lack of metalness does kind of put a twitch in me, but I'm okay with it because I respect what they are doing and I like all forms of music...not just metal.  As long as they are still Mastodon, that's all that matters.

But I do miss the metalness sometimes from Leviathan and Remissions.
Avatar image for deactivated-596b8044e5f9a
deactivated-596b8044e5f9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Mastodon's new album is great! If you like them you should check out Baroness and Isis, another two totally amazing modern metal bands.

Some new live Mastodon stuff I found on Youtube - first two tracks from Crack The Skye:

Oblivion

Divinations

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By laticsfan

One of my faves is Blood and thunder from Leviathan it's got the singer from Clutch in it too.

Inertia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Inertia

BEARD METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<3 Mastodon
Leopard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Leopard

Mastodon is great, but their earlier stuff is heavier and faster than Crack The Skye, with some growled vocals. Since you're avoiding that, I suggest listening to Baroness. Try the songs Isak and Wanderlust.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mike

I found the sound quality and production value on Crack The Skye to be utter garbage. The songs are decent but whoever produced it needs to find a new profession.

KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By KingOfIceland

Man, I love Remission and Leviathan and I had no problem with them deviating more from their metal roots and going more prog , since I already listen to loads of metal music, but the last 2 albums have just done nothing for me.

I don't begrudge them for the direction they've taken and in theory I fully support the direction they're going but I just can't connect with their new stuff for some reason.

Leopard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Leopard
@MB said:
" I found the sound quality and production value on Crack The Skye to be utter garbage. The songs are decent but whoever produced it needs to find a new profession. "
Agreed. The vinyl master sounds much better than the CD though.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Akeldama

Just give all the albums a listen. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17  Edited By natetodamax

Mastodon has a lot of talent. Being able to drum and sing is amazing.

Also, Oblivion is a great song.