• 161 results
#1 Edited by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

I shall try to not passout from boredom!  
I just spent the last ten hours watching every one of the extended edition Lord of the Rings movies back to back and realized that I don't like those movies as much as I remembered liking them. Maybe it was just the monotony of watching them for ten hours with no real breaks other then to go to the fridge to open a new can of pop or to open a new bag of chips, 7up pop and Old Dutch: Sour Cream & Onion flavored chips by the way, but by the end of it I couldn't wait for the movies to get over.

So it got me to wondering- has anyone else here done any marathon watching of a movie/TV series before? How long was it, and how did you feel about it by the time it was over?  What's your personal best run at a marathon watching of a movie/TV series?

While ten hours was a few more hours in one sitting then I do regularly, I would have to give watching every episode, of every season, of every Star Trek series over a six month period to have been my crowning achievement of marathon watching I have ever done. I watched like 4-5 episodes a day and loved every second of it. Except for the last few seasons of DS-9. That series past the first few seasons was hands down the hardest stretch of the marathon to get through.

Right now I'm working on M*A*S*H and I'm almost done season 3. I got about half way through Xena and got distracted by my Star Trek run to keep watching it. I couldn't pull off doing both at the same time no matter how I tried.
#2 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

I've only seen one Lord of the Rings movie, and I fell asleep halfway through it.

#3 Edited by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

They're some of the most boring movies ever committed to film. I don't understand what part of the story takes 9 hours to explain. 

EDIT: I once watched Rocky to Rocky IV back to back and afterwards I felt like I could take on the world.

#4 Posted by TheChaos (1138 posts) -

I watched Season 1-2-3-4 of Dexter in one sitting without sleep. 
I wanted Season 5 right away.

#5 Posted by Smokay (520 posts) -

Thats just crazy I would never do something like watch a marathon for that long.The longest ive sat down to watch something is maybe 3 hours

#6 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -
@TheChaos said:
" I watched Season 1-2-3-4 of Dexter in one sitting without sleep. I wanted Season 5 right away. "
I could imagine. I tried waiting for that series but I couldn't keep myself from not watching it past season two or three before I broke down. It was tough when I caught up to the live show and had to start waiting a week to find out what happened next. Drove me f-ing nuts! Dieing to see this new season, it looks like it's gonna be great.
#7 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -
@TheChaos said:
" I watched Season 1-2-3-4 of Dexter in one sitting without sleep. I wanted Season 5 right away. "
How the hell....
#8 Posted by Demonstride (864 posts) -

Never in one day but I have gone through some series of anime in like a week.

#9 Posted by Spoonman671 (4769 posts) -

The more I see the Lord of the Rings movies, the less I like them.

I've watched a lot of cartoon shows in marathon form:

King of the Hill
Spawn (old HBO show)
Samurai Jack
Beavis and Butthead

I've also done Curb Your Enthusiasm and Band of Brothers, the latter on multiple occasions.

#10 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I watched all three back to the future films back to back. I love those movies, but after that i dont want to see them for at least a decade.

#11 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Did it with Lord of the Rings too once, I like the movies though except the whole "oh wait, we could fly in on these eagles instead of taking the long way.. sorry"-part.  

Also did a marathon with the Persona 4 Endurance Run. 
That was kinda fun 

#12 Posted by Arbie (1437 posts) -

Oh man I freakin' love LOTR! I remember badly wanting to go to the cinema when they were playing all 3 movies in a marathon but not being able to! 

I think the only thing I've done something like that with was an anime. I remember just feeling groggy and drained and not enjoying it as much as I should. Wouldn't do it again. Could watch about 3/4 eps of a show in a row I think before beginning to feel impatient.

#13 Posted by animateria (3259 posts) -

Nodame Cantabile... I decided to rewatch an episode once and just finished the whole series that night.  I forget how many episodes it was but it took a while. Enjoyed every minute of it.

I did a straight Batman Marathon once, even watching the 2 bad ones with Riddler and Two-Face, And Poison Ivy and Dr. Freeze. I had to endure those just to get to the Dark Knight. I like the Penguin one the best though, bizarre as hell.

Did a Indiana Jones one too. Except the 4th movie... Haven't watched it yet. (Speaking of Lucas.. The Star Wars marathon I did was really unbearable with the beginning 3 movies.)

I also did a Alien marathon... Just the 4 movies. (I did watch Predator 1 and 2 in succession but that's not a marathon)

#14 Posted by PATERSON (246 posts) -

Agreed that whole story could have been told within 1hr30mins or at a push 2 hours.

#15 Posted by Drrizzit (111 posts) -
I've done that before with anime. Its my TV show type fix thing. Its bombastic =)
#16 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

Someone bought be the boxset when they came out and to this day I have not managed to watch the third film.  Not that I don't like them, I think I just find the 4 hour commitment too intimidating.

#17 Posted by lil_cheeks (125 posts) -

I am a huge fan of The Lord of the Rings.  Its almost my favorite trilogy.  In fact, I think its a tie for the  intergalactic Star Wars and the Mystical Lord of the Rings.

#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -
@Erzs:  Ya, 3-4 1 hour shows, or 6-7 30 min shows, is usually what I do in one sitting. No matter how much I like something by that point I'm usually getting fed up with it and want a break.
#19 Posted by tnecniv (47 posts) -

This is something I want to do, just to say I did it.

#20 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@TheChaos: Dude, I know.  I watched all of season 1 and all of season 2 in the same day.  Gonna buy the third season when I get paid.
#21 Posted by Chaoticdude (7 posts) -

I've found the best way to appreciate the LOTR movies is to break them into six parts and watch them over six nights. The extended ones have each film broken up into halves anyway so it feels right.
Good movies, but yea, kinda long!

#22 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3000 posts) -

I've done this 3 times already *facepalm*

#23 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I really liked the first LOTOR film but really disliked the other two. 

I cant say I ever did a marathon of things but I did play through Mass Effect 1 three times over four or five days.

#24 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

I had the opposite effect. I watched all three in one day and almost cried when Aragorn said "you bow to no one".

#25 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -
@Landon:  Ya I don't know. I must have just been in a weird mood or something because I remembered enjoying them a lot more the first time around. Who knows.
#26 Posted by StarFoxA (5163 posts) -

It's funny how much people complain about the length of Lord of the Rings, but really Peter Jackson cut out several scenes from the book, such a Tom Bombadil (not sure if I'm spelling that right), and how Saruman takes over the Shire at the end of Return of the King and the returning hobbits have to defeat him... I wish he had included that stuff too, but then again Lord of the Rings is both one of my favorite books and favorite films, so I'm a little biased.

As for marathons, I was sick with the flu for like a week once, so I ended up watched every episode of Lost from season one to second to last season, and couldn't wait for the next season.

#27 Posted by rentfn (1288 posts) -

There is only one return and that's of the Jedi

#28 Posted by Generic_username (635 posts) -

I can't watch movies like that back-to-back. The closest thing I ever did was spending about twelve hours watching Endurance Run episodes. That was a good day.

#29 Posted by Ashby (145 posts) -
@crusader8463:  
 So I had a pretty bad breakup about three and a half years ago and I spent fourteen straight hours watching through Gundam Wing. Yes, GUNDAM WING. For whatever reason it really cheered me up, mostly because of my crazy nostalgia for that show, as I used to watch it religiously in middle school. I eventually just couldn't take the corniness anymore and had to cut the marathon short, but I still hold a very soft spot in my heart for that show. : ) 

Also I tried to do a LOTR marathon a few years back and fell asleep halfway through The Two Towers. They are really, really tough to watch through all in a row.
#30 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

I've marathon-ed Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Band of Brothers and I still love them after finishing them up for whatever dozen time it is that I've watched them.

#31 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

LOTR is boring, I don't understand the appeal.

#32 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

I watched LOST for like six hours, and only stopped because I dosed off. I like the Lord of the Rings movies, but I wouldn't even think about watching them all at once. I'd probably feel the same way you feel if I sat down and watched them again. I do, however, plan on buying the LOST series collection when it's released on Blu-Ray and watching it again as I play WoW.

#33 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

On the Comedy Network they had the "Aussie,Brits & Kiwi Marathon" on over the long weekend and managed to watch the Office, Extras and Flight of the Conchords and play a large chunk of the SC2 campaign. 
Been a very productive weekend. 

Oh and my favourite marathon is Band of Brothers which seems to air on most US holidays.

#34 Posted by FuNkYbOsS (26 posts) -

I watched all the movies back to back and used IMDB to find all the continuity errors. That was a fun time......or sad?

#35 Posted by x_XJules (303 posts) -

I did that with LoTR the first time I watched them. I was home sick by myself and hopped up on all sorts of cold medicine and had nothing better to do. It proved to be the most epic journey of my life.

#36 Posted by Skillface (566 posts) -

I've watched quite a few The Wire episodes in a row.  

NO REGRETS.

#37 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -
@crusader8463:  Man if it only took you 10 hours you might have had 1 that wasn't extended. My dad and I went to a advance screening of Return of the King before it came out which was a marathon showing of the first two movies in all their extended glory and then the theatrical version of Return of the King. The marathon started at 2pm and we got out at 1:30am. There were 2 half hour breaks after each of the first 2, but that's still like 10 and a half hours without Return of the King being extended 0.o

I actually watched all of my Lord of the Rings extended versions not to long ago, but I did them one a day for 3 days instead of all at once. Even so, each movie is damn near close to 4 hours. The aforementioned pre-screening is probably the best marathon movie watching I've ever done, but I have been planning a Tarantino movie marathon for a while now (since I got a box set of his entire directorial works before Inglorious Basterds around last Chirstmas).
#38 Posted by TomWhitbrook (434 posts) -

I too have marathoned the LOTR extended edition. To my mind, the second is the best, with Return losing points for multiple endings syndrome. 
I've marathoned Babylon 5 start to finish over a few days. Nerd on.

#39 Posted by RandomHero666 (3183 posts) -

I've watched all LOTR films back to back, and then watched the Fan-made "The Hunt For Gollum"
One of the best all-nighters I've ever had.

Also I have watched Seasons 1,2,3, and 4 Of The Dudesons, and the Film in one sitting.

#40 Edited by Vonocourt (2164 posts) -

Just last Saturday I watched Beetlegeuse, Edward Scissorhands, Back to the Future Trilogy, Young Frankenstein, and the first Back to the Future over again.

Kind of a bummer of a birthday really.

#41 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1066 posts) -

Had to be done:

they had a marathon of James Bond movies that i think lasted 3 or 4 days with all the ads between them. i did do other stuff but the tv was on that channel for the duration of that marathon.

#42 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -
@mazik765 said:
" @crusader8463:  Man if it only took you 10 hours you might have had 1 that wasn't extended. My dad and I went to a advance screening of Return of the King before it came out which was a marathon showing of the first two movies in all their extended glory and then the theatrical version of Return of the King. The marathon started at 2pm and we got out at 1:30am. There were 2 half hour breaks after each of the first 2, but that's still like 10 and a half hours without Return of the King being extended 0.o  I actually watched all of my Lord of the Rings extended versions not to long ago, but I did them one a day for 3 days instead of all at once. Even so, each movie is damn near close to 4 hours. The aforementioned pre-screening is probably the best marathon movie watching I've ever done, but I have been planning a Tarantino movie marathon for a while now (since I got a box set of his entire directorial works before Inglorious Basterds around last Chirstmas). "
Not sure. The first two where a little over 3 hours each iirc and the last one was 4 hours. Actually I guess it was closer to 11 hours because the first one was 3:20 and the 2nd was 3:35 min.
#43 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" They're some of the most boring movies ever committed to film. I don't understand what part of the story takes 9 hours to explain.  EDIT: I once watched Rocky to Rocky IV back to back and afterwards I felt like I could take on the world. "
That is awesome. Must try that for myself.
#44 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

I'm about halfway through season 3 of Full House and it is fantastic

#45 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -
@Azteck said:

" @HandsomeDead said:

" They're some of the most boring movies ever committed to film. I don't understand what part of the story takes 9 hours to explain.  EDIT: I once watched Rocky to Rocky IV back to back and afterwards I felt like I could take on the world. "
That is awesome. Must try that for myself. "
 Ya I did the Rocky thing when I was a kid too. We got the rocky VHS box set at a yard sale for like $5 and I sat down one day and just watched them all. Actually- that may have been my first marathon I actually did to be honest. It was ether that, the Nightmare on elm street movies, or Robocop. I can't recall what ones I did first.
#46 Posted by Delorean (60 posts) -

You sir, are a machine. I don't think I'd ever be able to do that.  The longest I think I've watched anything in a row is when me and my friends watch a bunch of horror flicks for halloween (6-8 hours).  It's awesome you're watching M*A*S*H as well.  A true classic, and some of those episodes did things that television had never done before.

@TheChaos said:

Lost my shit at the end of Season 4. This wait for Season 5 is KILLING me.
#47 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I sat through about 5 to 6 hours of True Blood. That show has some sexy women.

#48 Posted by Gabriel (4081 posts) -

You can not watch those movies back to back, as much as I love them they  need breaks in between.

#49 Posted by ch3burashka (5245 posts) -

I must have watched the LOTR trilogy at least 5 times (the EE's, of course) and loved them. However, I have a strong feeling I won't be so enamored at this time.  

Fun fact: I watched the bonus discs so much that they skip now - either they're scratched or the laser burned through the disk. 

#50 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

i watched every single terminator movie yesterday as a matter o fact T1-T4 they all are good, also LOTR trilogy is better than star wars IMO