So I'm officially a San Franciscan!

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Just moved here yesterday guys and I'm really happy with the decision. Any suggestions for places I should go (i.e. Bars and such)? Also, if anyone ever wants to meet up and chat video games or whatever the shit, lemme know.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Dude I am sorry. I have gone to San Fran quite a few times, makes for a good road trip. But man. It is full of shady ass people. Bums everywhere selling weed. I fucking was eating at a subway and a bum went in there to ask for money. The fuck, at least let me eat. Now nothing against people who need some help but a little courtesy. Just plain rude there.

I did like eating at Rocco's Cafe on Folsom.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I was walking around union square some dude dropped a hot dog while walking around, seconds later a dude picked it up and ate it. I was very impressed.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't it like the most expensive city to live in in the US? why would you move there?

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got murdered there once.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Isn't it like the most expensive city to live in in the US? why would you move there?

Maybe he's rich (bitch)?

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vuud

Ask Gamespot's own Sanny Franny Danny.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

@clonedzero: ummm....does it bother you that I live here?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SSully

If I was a betting man I would say he works in the tech industry and either got a job at a start up or is working for one of the big companies like facebook or google. If not then fuckkkkkk have fun with that rent bill friend!

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Clonedzero

@clonedzero: ummm....does it bother you that I live here?

It does, please move somewhere else. Thanks. Somewhere cheaper, then buy yourself a pony. It'll be worth it, i swear. If the pony thing doesnt work out, you can always eat it.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) Go to Bi-Rite and get some ice cream. 2) Then go to Mitchell's and get some more ice cream.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious, I hear the cost of living in that area is nuts, so how do the hordes of fast-food and other minimum-ish wage employees survive? Is it all splitting apartments, kids living with their parents & people working multiple jobs or is there some lower-income housing available too?

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

@toowalrus: well, I'll be splitting it with a couple of friends. I'm a waiter so I make ok money usually.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fuzzypumpkin: Yeah, that seems like the way to do it. I'd love to move someplace... warm, but unfortunately I don't have a group of friends who are down with "Hey, let's spontaneously move to the other side of the country." Cause I'd do it, I'm not particularly attached to anything here in Michigan.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread huh, kinda just a shitshow of 'Isn't that expensive?' and 'Whyyyy?' Some of you people are kind've coming off a bit jealous.

Anyway congrats, hope you stick it out, it's supposed to be a pretty cool hub for tech industry folk and networking with that crowd. Seems to be a place where things are going on, startups etc, at least that's the impression it gives off. Maybe email the bombcast and ask them for some such places to vacate...they'll get to it in like a month or so :D

Also there was a thread about Danny O'Dwyer moving to 'Sanny Franny', maybe people were more helpful in there?

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MC_Hify

@toowalrus said:

I'm curious, I hear the cost of living in that area is nuts, so how do the hordes of fast-food and other minimum-ish wage employees survive? Is it all splitting apartments, kids living with their parents & people working multiple jobs or is there some lower-income housing available too?

Well, you can either: live in the East Bay, live with roommates, inherit a home, have a rent controlled place you've been for a while, or make 100k+ plus a year. All the "cool" neighborhoods are insanely expensive but if you are willing to live in not cool neighborhoods and have roommates, you can make it work. I live out by the beach (very not cool) and have two roommates and this place is rent controlled so I have a relatively cheap $785 rent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I'm sorry.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@fuzzypumpkin: I hear Rorie likes to drink with premium members.

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just moved here yesterday guys and I'm really happy with the decision. Any suggestions for places I should go (i.e. Bars and such)? Also, if anyone ever wants to meet up and chat video games or whatever the shit, lemme know.

What neighborhood are you in?

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Sorry to hear this. Good luck in your endeavors.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great city, grats. SF=<3. Most bars per capita...used to be true at least, lol. Check out the great food at the pier(and Ital disc. especially)and the many great museums at some point. Check out a Giants game at Pac Bell if you care(super cool views even if you aren't into the B-ball). :)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By mike
@thehbk said:

...but man. It is full of shady ass people. Bums everywhere selling weed.

They probably weren't selling what you think they were...unless this happened 15 years ago. I'll let you use your imagination on this one.

Signed,

a long-time resident.

@fuzzypumpkin I'm not sure what kind of bars you are into, but one of my favorites is Jack's down on Leavenworth near Fisherman's Wharf. Laid back and tons of beer on draft, even though it's in a touristy area it's far enough down from the major attractions that mostly locals frequent the joint. There are thousands of bars here and dozens of good ones, it just depends on what you're looking for and which neighborhood you are hanging out in.

If you need any specific recommendations or have any questions about whatever, send me a PM. Otherwise, my favorite thing right now is Streat Food! Park in the Costco garage, it's right across the street.

Neighborhoods to avoid until you're more comfortable with the city and its residents...Mission & Tenderloin. Specifically, 5th & 6th at Mission, 16th-19th St at Mission and a couple of blocks in either direction, and Ellis at Hyde which is sort of the center of the TL. Especially at night. Good luck dude.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hippie_genocide

@fuzzypumpkin: go to Swan Oyster Depot in Nob Hill, get there early though because they close at 5:30. House of Prime Rib is good, too. For bars, it depends on where you live and what kind of scene you're into but I like Toronado in Lower Haight. And one tip, don't ever call it Frisco, we hate that.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always kinda wanted to live there because of the weather, but man the cost of living and the fact that it's a long way from Wisconsin killed those dreams.

Good luck dude and enjoy it! Sorry I couldn't give you any suggestions haha.

leafhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By leafhouse

I've been here a couple years, and although I'm moving in July, its a super fun place to live. If you're a drinker, there are plenty of bars (The Hemlock, Buckshot and Tee Off are my favorites). GG and Delores parks are always fun on sunny days (again, for drinking). There's a huge video game loving community here, so making friends is super easy. Just get out there and find what you like doing.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By PeezMachine

You MUST MUST MUST go see The Room, the "Citizen Kane" of awful movies. It's screened Rocky Horror style at a small theater in Pacific Heights (that's a neighborhood) the second Saturday of each month at midnight. Sure, you could see it in any city, but the (awful awful awful) movie is set in San Francisco, so doing it right demands doing it in the Bay.

Also the best burrito I ever had was at a Nantucket themed place called Tacko. I know, I know.

Good luck up there!

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was walking around union square some dude dropped a hot dog while walking around, seconds later a dude picked it up and ate it. I was very impressed.

It's the circle of life.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Moving can always be a little hard, so I wish you luck settling in.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TyCobb

@peezmachine said:

You MUST MUST MUST go see The Room, the "Citizen Kane" of awful movies. It's screened Rocky Horror style at a small theater in Pacific Heights (that's a neighborhood) the second Saturday of each month at midnight. Sure, you could see it in any city, but the (awful awful awful) movie is set in San Francisco, so doing it right demands doing it in the Bay.

There were only like 3 scenes actually shot in San Francisco though. Movies and shows are rarely actually shot where the story is set. On top of that, the best version to watch of that movie is the edition that got aired on Adult Swim. The black censorship bars made the movie even funnier.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leafhouse: Yea dude. I went to the Tee Off bar last night and had a great time playing some pong. Went to Finnegans after that for some pool. If you ever see me there say hi. People say I kinda look like Clark Kent so you might be able to pick me out. My name's Sean by the way.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By laserguy

Don Fransisco

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@fuzzypumpkin said:

May God be with you on this lonely, dark road you travel.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, how many weird naked people have you seen so far?

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

@rorie: Yea, it was fun. You should come grab a drink sometime. We'll chat it up or something.

mashe67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only make it up there mebe 4 or 5 times a year but there's some pretty cool speakeasy type bars in san fran. Bourbon & Branch is a good place to start in that regard.