So, I made a website...

marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

Edited By marlow83

Last December, myself and a friend made a tumblr page where we review and write about movies and videogames. Any of you who go to Screened may recognize my friend as user freeteafilm. Anyway, we came up with the idea of making our own website about 3 months ago, and today we completed it. It may not be the best coded thing in the world, but considering I went into this project with NO knowledge of html, I'm proud of it. Anywho, if you could check it out and let me know what you think, I'd appreciate it.

Link: freeteawithpurchase.com

Oh, and if anyone finds an error, please let me know

marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By marlow83

Last December, myself and a friend made a tumblr page where we review and write about movies and videogames. Any of you who go to Screened may recognize my friend as user freeteafilm. Anyway, we came up with the idea of making our own website about 3 months ago, and today we completed it. It may not be the best coded thing in the world, but considering I went into this project with NO knowledge of html, I'm proud of it. Anywho, if you could check it out and let me know what you think, I'd appreciate it.

Link: freeteawithpurchase.com

Oh, and if anyone finds an error, please let me know

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By iam3green

nice website. 

i would say move the writing a little bit to the right.  the right part of the website has more room than the left side. i also think you should put a footer. it's like the top where all the links are just on the bottom of thew website.

marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By marlow83

@iam3green: First let me say thanks for looking, and second thanks for the suggestions. And that footer idea is excellent, I'll implement that soon

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By ShadowVirus

Looks good for a first website, seems very consistent and functional. Maybe if you could get the social networking stuff from the bottom of the page and put them in their own column on the right side of the screen that would flesh the page out a bit more. The only way I can think of improving it is just add some colour, there's nothing wrong with a plain white website with black text but maybe you could add some contrast between the blog posts and the background.

marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By marlow83

@ShadowVirus: Thanks for the feedback. The social networking stuff is supposed to be on the side, but when I was coding I only used my large, widescreen laptop to test the size of the site. And being new to html and all, I'm having a hard time writing a fix for the sidebar dropping down to the bottom. All I know is that it's a sizing issue, and I'm just reducing pixel width of everything as I hear about more people having this problem. I tried reducing it again, hopefully the sidebar will show up properly now. Anywho, glad its working for the most part, and I really do appreciate you checking it out!

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By ShadowVirus

@marlow83: Yeah it's on the side now, looks much better.

marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By marlow83

@ShadowVirus: Excellent. Thanks for the help

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

Hey dude!

I love the general aesthetic direction you have going on - very simple, but VERY effective. The lack of clutter on the website is so refreshing. Maybe when you have more reviews you might need to put it in two separate lists (games/movies) otherwise I could see this being a bit hard to read. The only real gripe that I have aesthetically and functionally though is the fact that you have the menu bar at the top - perfect, but the fact that to even see the videos link, you have to scroll across is a little jarring.

Overall, I LOVE the visual direction you are going for. The implmentation has worked wonders!

P.s. This is TOTALLY a site for me. Movies and video games!!!

marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By marlow83

@GloriousDinosaur: I'm thrilled that you like the site, man! And yeah, I planned on making two lists down the line, seeing as we'll have more posts in the future, but I'm holding back for now just because it'd be time consuming. And as for the width, its a formatting error I haven't been able to completely fix yet, but I'm gonna keep working on it. But seriously, I'm extremely happy you like the site! We don't plan on stopping anytime soon

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bombHills

Very clean, very nice!

marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By marlow83

@bombHills: Thanks!

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By GS_Dan

The code's nice and neat, which is good practice :)

Some huge gaps, but no one's going to look at the source anyway.

marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By marlow83

@GS_Dan: Thanks! And yeah, I don't know what possessed me to allow those gaps