Posted by CastroCasper (1302 posts) -

I went to this mall today that I had never been to for a job interview nearby it. After the interview I decided to check out the mall while I was there. It was pretty much a two story airfield filled with stores that sell insanely expensive stuff.  

I walked into a few stores but nothing interesting. That is until out of the corner of my eye I saw a kid making awkward hand gestures towards a large LCD TV. As I got closer I saw that he was playing the bowling mini game from Kinect Sports and doing pretty poorly. It didn't look like the kid was going anywhere anytime soon and I didn't want to stand around too long, so I took a quick look at the Kinect camera and took off.  

While the graphics, colors, and lights were sharp, the movement seemed off. Since I really only got a quick look (heh) and the set up was probably not the best, I can't say much for the quality. The camera was on a TV stand pushed up against the wall and was facing the entrance where people were walking in and out. Also I have no idea of the kids actual bowling skills.  All I can really say about the camera is what everyone else says, "It is bigger than I thought it would be".  

I had no idea that they even had these set up anywhere besides events or anything.  Has anyone played any games on it?

#1 Posted by CastroCasper (1302 posts) -

I went to this mall today that I had never been to for a job interview nearby it. After the interview I decided to check out the mall while I was there. It was pretty much a two story airfield filled with stores that sell insanely expensive stuff.  

I walked into a few stores but nothing interesting. That is until out of the corner of my eye I saw a kid making awkward hand gestures towards a large LCD TV. As I got closer I saw that he was playing the bowling mini game from Kinect Sports and doing pretty poorly. It didn't look like the kid was going anywhere anytime soon and I didn't want to stand around too long, so I took a quick look at the Kinect camera and took off.  

While the graphics, colors, and lights were sharp, the movement seemed off. Since I really only got a quick look (heh) and the set up was probably not the best, I can't say much for the quality. The camera was on a TV stand pushed up against the wall and was facing the entrance where people were walking in and out. Also I have no idea of the kids actual bowling skills.  All I can really say about the camera is what everyone else says, "It is bigger than I thought it would be".  

I had no idea that they even had these set up anywhere besides events or anything.  Has anyone played any games on it?

#2 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

2 questions, where do you live and what mall was it?

#3 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

No, I havent played anything myself, and to be honest, I really don't want to. 
Until they can make a game thats worthwhile and not something thats tacted on/ a controller can do I'm staying far away from it.  

Besides, I have myself a Wii so I don't need anymore motion stuff. 

This is just how I feel about the thing.
#4 Posted by Xolare (1284 posts) -
@adoggz said:
" 2 questions, where do you live and what mall was it? "
Imginationland :D
#5 Edited by EdIsCool (1122 posts) -

I hope the games don't feel tacked onto the controller.

#6 Posted by CastroCasper (1302 posts) -
@adoggz: It was the Park Meadows mall near Denver. 

@zityz: If Dance Central was the demo, I would still be there. 
#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -

I don't believe you at all.  Break into that mall, steal it, take a picture of it with your username written on a piece of paper next to it and I might believe you then.

#8 Posted by CastroCasper (1302 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" I don't believe you at all.  Break into that mall, steal it, take a picture of it with your username written on a piece of paper next to it and I might believe you then. "
I took a really shitty cell phone video because at the time I was thinking that it was a big deal. 
#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
@kurtdyoung said:
" I took a really shitty cell phone video because at the time I was thinking that it was a big deal.  "
It kind of is a big deal since Kinect is hardly accessible by anyone currently.  You should post it on Youtube or something.
#10 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -
@kurtdyoung said:
" @adoggz: It was the Park Meadows mall near Denver. 

@zityz: If Dance Central was the demo, I would still be there.  "

Yea Dance Central looks cool, but I'm not going to spend $150 for the kinect plus $70 for the game to play a dance simulator.
#11 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -
@kurtdyoung: 
damn it, next time be born closer to where I live.
#12 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

What store did you walk into? Was it a big retailer like BestBuy?

#13 Posted by CastroCasper (1302 posts) -
@Meteora said:
" What store did you walk into? Was it a big retailer like BestBuy? "
It was the Microsoft store. 
#14 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@kurtdyoung: Ah well that explains a lot on why they have a Kinect.
#15 Posted by CastroCasper (1302 posts) -
@Meteora: Ya I wasn't too shocked at where it was, I just didn't think they were showing it to the general public like that.
#16 Posted by cancerdancer (314 posts) -

There is a microsoft store inside park meadows. Not like this is going on in some shitty gamestop or something. So stop acting like this is an alien sighting guys :-p

But that said, from the Sonic quicklook, Kinect looks weak.

#17 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@cancerdancer: Ryan said that it could be the game rather than the hardware's problem for being unresponsive. I also wouldn't conclude that the Kinect is genuinely weak from a Sonic game. I'd wait until the actual thing comes out, when people have the final build and can test it out themselves.