• 114 results
#1 Edited by Jaytow (711 posts) -

I have no idea why I've started but I have, 6 months ago I left my hometown of Liverpool, England and moved 30 miles north to Preston to start a new job. Now I'm 24 years of age and I live by myself in a flat in Preston. I drink a lot, by myself, most fridays and saturdays because I'm bored out of my skull and over the last few weeks I've been smoking.

Nothing radical, right? I just have no idea why I've started, maybe it's because I'm bored, maybe it's because, since I left Liverpool, I no longer have much better things to occupy my time (maybe they're the same thing). Who knows?

Do you smoke? and if so why did you start?

#2 Edited by Veektarius (5065 posts) -

I'd like to be among the first to congratulate you on adopting one of humanity's oldest past-times: putting things in our mouths and lighting them on fire. I'm not sure who thought it up, but it is undoubtedly a part of what it means to be human to put smoldering plant matter between our lips and inhale its noxious exhaust into our lungs.

If anyone should suggest that you quit, you should reply, "Do you also think I should quit Beethoven? Or Shakespeare? Should I stop using simple tools like the wheel and the inclined plane? Because if I were to ignore my human heritage as you suggest, I would have to do all that as well."

#3 Edited by crusader8463 (14433 posts) -

I work at a call center doing tech support and since I have to drive an hour to work and another hour home drinking on the job or doing drugs is not an option. So I started smoking on the drive to work, on my breaks, and the drive home. I literally never smoke unless I'm working and have zero desire to unless it's a work day.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (15282 posts) -

Hey, to each their own but I think its a super gross habit.

#5 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4560 posts) -

I only vape or dab oil, combustion is sooo passé...also I hate tobacco

#6 Posted by Belegorm (708 posts) -

I don't smoke. Most of my closer friends are smokers and I tend to hang out with them when they're smoking, whether running outside for a smoke break, or at the bar.

I've tried it, I smoked regularly for about a month, but in the end it didn't do anything for me. The thing that really struck me about it was that there wasn't really anything much enjoyable about smoking a cigarette itself, more it was something to do when bored, or when drinking, talking, or whatever. That and the addiction gets satisfied by smoking.

If you're smoking because you're bored... isn't there something healthier to do when bored that is cheaper and doesn't involve potentially shortening your lifespan? That's my honest thoughts on it, I do think smoking is fine, but I think there's often not a great reason for it and not enough awareness of the consequences.

#7 Posted by BigJeffrey (5164 posts) -

i've only smoked once and did not like it one bit.

#8 Posted by joshwent (2412 posts) -

I only vape or dab oil, combustion is sooo passé...also I hate tobacco

I cannot recommend e-cigs enough. I love smoking for tons of reasons, but you do have to face the facts that tobacco WILL eventually cause you all sorts of health concerns, or... you know... kill you. So especially if you're just picking it up now, check out some e-cigarettes. The satisfaction is the same, but the health risks are hugely minimized, and there are also tons of benefits that tobacco cigarettes don't afford you, like being able to control the nicotine you're consuming and vaping all sorts of great flavors.

So smoke on, smoker! (but maybe turn that smoke into vapor and just pretend) Your body, your wallet, and any especially annoying people around you will give their thanks.

#9 Posted by Gaff (1924 posts) -

Since you asked: I have no idea why I started smoking at age 18. Maybe it was some twisted rite of passage thing I cooked up for myself, peer pressure, whatever. Since that time I recently switched to e-cigs and enjoying it.

Anyway, it's your life / body, you're an adult, etc, but I would suggest being careful with your drinking than your smoking. While both are unhealthy, drinking tends to be a lot worse if you let it get out of hand.

#10 Posted by MB (13272 posts) -

If you watched your grandmother die slowly of lung cancer and emphysema like I did, you wouldn't be smoking. It was a painful, miserable, and prolonged death.

#11 Posted by ian280291 (122 posts) -

Smoked for 6 1/2 years quit cold turkey 90-ish days ago and haven't looked back

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (15282 posts) -

@mb: Nail on the head. Everyone doesn't think they'll care about the consequences until its too goddamn late. I don't think Ive ever seen a chronic smoker on their death bed who can barely breathe say that it was all worth it.

#13 Posted by MetalBaofu (1450 posts) -

If you want to smoke, then have at it. Personally, I will never understand how anyone can smoke. It smells horrible, not to mention the impacts on your health.

#14 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (757 posts) -

I'd like to be among the first to congratulate you on adopting one of humanity's oldest past-times: putting things in our mouths and lighting them on fire. I'm not sure who thought it up, but it is undoubtedly a part of what it means to be human to put smoldering plant matter between our lips and inhale its noxious exhaust into our lungs.

If anyone should suggest that you quit, you should reply, "Do you also think I should quit Beethoven? Or Shakespeare? Should I stop using simple tools like the wheel and the inclined plane? Because if I were to ignore my human heritage as you suggest, I would have to do all that as well."

Quit

#15 Edited by 8Bit_Archer (460 posts) -

The allure of smoking and why people ever start, is still a mystery to me...I'll never understand it.

#16 Posted by jimmyfenix (3753 posts) -

i've only smoked once and did not like it one bit.

Same.

#17 Posted by mlarrabee (3091 posts) -

You should stop now. It gets really expensive over time.

I've never smoked a cigarette, and I'm going to keep it that way because I'm nearly positive I would be hooked fast and hard.

#18 Posted by Fallen189 (5060 posts) -

You are moronic.

In this day and age, knowing all of the negatives of smoking, and how much it kills you and people around you, the fact that you'd actively choose to begin belies any intelligence you may have once had. Give up now before you die.

#19 Posted by Sergio (2317 posts) -

Stop. Drop. And roll.

#20 Posted by bassman2112 (864 posts) -

There are literally no benefits to smoking.

Short term relief of stress is about the only one; but that is superseded by the dependency you'll acquire to constantly seek that out, as well as the fact that your overall health will deteriorate as a direct consequence of starting.

#21 Posted by haffy (674 posts) -

Should of started smoking weed instead.

#22 Edited by konig_kei (680 posts) -

Carry some gum with you cause people who smoke have some seriously bad breath and no one wants to be around people who smell.

#23 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4560 posts) -

@joshwent: I don't really do that stuff, when I say vaping and dabbing oil I'm referring to marijuana and its other forms.

#24 Posted by Korwin (3090 posts) -

Smoking, one of the few times where people will actually pay someone money to degrade their quality of life and more than likely kill them.

#25 Posted by RonGalaxy (3284 posts) -

I think I read somewhere that smoking is bad for you????

#26 Posted by Fattony12000 (7632 posts) -

#27 Posted by Vuud (2035 posts) -

I only smoke pipe dope and it's fucked up. Don't touch that stuff.

#28 Edited by psylah (2187 posts) -

Omae wa mo shindeiru

#29 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

As a smoker all I can tell is get out while you can

#30 Posted by Snail (8675 posts) -

Well if you're looking to occupy your time I'd suggest you read a book instead, for instance.

#31 Posted by Random45 (1321 posts) -

@snail said:

Well if you're looking to occupy your time I'd suggest you read a book instead, for instance.

Or get a hobby, or play some games... ANYTHING is better than picking up smoking.

#32 Edited by Zirilius (757 posts) -

Just remember smokers got us to the moon. Non smokers caused NASA to stop sending people to space.

#33 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1477 posts) -

@mb said:

If you watched your grandmother die slowly of lung cancer and emphysema like I did, you wouldn't be smoking. It was a painful, miserable, and prolonged death.

I got called out for pointing this out in a tabacco thread the other month, meddling with their "life style" or being a Health Warrior. But seeing several people wither away in an ICU due to a pointless habit they started in their teen years or early adulthood, isn't shocking enough to scare people anymore.

Don't start smoking and if you've just started: stop now. I dare you to go to the morgue of your local hospital and ask if you're allowed to see and touch emphysema lungs, and to see (and touch!) lung cancer in real tissue.

#34 Posted by Superkenon (1516 posts) -

Play video games.

#35 Posted by erhard (456 posts) -

Smoking's great. Too bad it's bad for your health or I would be doing it all the time.

#36 Posted by Whitestripes09 (448 posts) -

Around finals I was thinking about smoking a lot and wondered if it would help me relax at all from the stress of school. Never did try it, but still curious.

#37 Posted by OllyOxenFree (5002 posts) -

I'm sorry about that, son.

#38 Posted by h0lgr (912 posts) -

If you want my honest opinion, I don't think it's so bad, but at least find some duders to smoke with. And drink with.
Get into some local hobby groups or something. Find dudes to hang out with at the pub, just don't drink/smoke alone.

#39 Posted by laserguy (458 posts) -
#40 Posted by lazerface (9 posts) -

man, reading this thread made me realize that i've been smoking for 12 years now. i'm 28 btw.

god i need to quit.

#41 Posted by L1GHTN1N (594 posts) -

I've been smoking for about 2 years now and don't regret it a bit. I've recently been slowing down and thinking about quitting because of the obvious health reasons but I don't really want to. As strange as it may sound to a lot of you I really enjoy the taste and smell of cigarettes/cigars (always have even before I started), I like the way they look, and the actual act of putting it up to my lips and taking a drag.

Sure there aren't any health benefits. But for me that doesn't mean there aren't any benefits period. I'm typically a very shy, antisocial person. I've talked to a lot of cool people because of smoking. There's been several days when I'm waiting for my train to pull up to head to work or school where I'll step aside to have a smoke. Someone walks up to me and either asks to bum one off me or pulls one out and starts talking to me; it's been a great ice breaker. Also I have a few friends that smoke; when hanging out with several of them it's nice to step outside with one or two and have one while talking about something a little more personal or serious rather than the usually bullshit we talk about as a large group. For me that's worth it. Also there's few things I like more than stepping outside on a cold winter night, with the stars above you and dead silence around you, sitting down on the patio and having a cigarette.

#42 Posted by diz (943 posts) -

I watched my father die from emphysema due to his smoking.

I've been vaping for 2 years after smoking for over 30 myself. My health has suffered as a result of smoking. Vaping is certainly an improvement over smoking (for the addicted) because:

• it seems less unhealthy (i.e. no tar or carcinogens inhaled)
  • is lower cost (more than x20 cost reduction if you do some research)
  • is an easy transition from and long-term substitute for smoking
  • plus it can have a comparative lack of stink.

I think starting to smoke cigarettes is one of the most ridiculous things a person can do. Nicotine is so addictive and tar is so harmful, while the taxes on cigarettes (in the UK at least) allow the government to get rich from the addiction and suffering of others.

#43 Posted by wewantsthering (1618 posts) -

It honestly sounds like you need some hobbies dude! Sitting around drinking and smoking all the time can't be good for you. Haha. Get out and do some stuff! :-)

#44 Posted by iragequit (334 posts) -

Never was interested in smoking anything that didn't get you high. Started doing it to try something new and fit in in a place where I was the new kid. 12 years later I couldn't hold my breath under water for more than 5-10 seconds to save my life. Had a 5.5 liter lung capacity at 18 and now... well I'd be afraid to see those test results. If your going to do it, at least keep up with physical activity. I didn't.

#45 Posted by believer258 (12303 posts) -

I don't smoke, and don't want to smoke. I can always tell when someone has been smoking because they smell. It's not an atrocious stench - I've been around smokers before and it doesn't bug me - but I do notice it and I do not think it smells good. I also don't think it looks particularly attractive.

If you must smoke, though, why not give those e-cigarettes a try? Or do something healthier than smoking. My uncle, who has smoked since he was a teenager, coughs like crazy all the time. My great-grandmother never smoked but her husband and children did and she has emphysema from secondhand smoke. Yes, I'm telling you that smoking is bad for you. It's not a good idea.

#46 Posted by ShaggE (6812 posts) -

As someone who's about to go have a smoke after posting this: Stop it. Quit while it's easy.

I won't lie: I like smoking. It's everything that comes with smoking that sucks. The money, the coughing, the smell, constantly re-planning everything you do to accommodate your addiction (I can hardly go out to a movie anymore because I can't go 90 minutes without a craving), etc.

I'm not trying to be Mr. Righteous Straight-Edge here; Like I said, I smoke heavily, and I'm all for responsible ingestion of certain substances, but these sticks in my pocket are fucking evil. Just get out while you're ahead.

#47 Edited by SeanCoughing (273 posts) -

Even though I do it from time to time I'd advise against it, my good duder. If it's only specifically a driving to work/work breaks thing you should try one of those E-Cigs. They won't stank up your car quite as bad and they are supposed to be at least a little better for you.

#48 Posted by triviaman09 (805 posts) -

I'd quit smoking and cut back on the drinking, but I'm just some rando on the Internet.

#49 Edited by JasonR86 (9739 posts) -

@jaytow:

If you were bored you could have gotten way into something that adds something. Like exercise, masturbating. Masturbating. Just saying.

#50 Posted by Gruebacca (576 posts) -

As someone who's been forced to endure my father's second-hand smoke for the entirety of their life, I have no tolerance of the stuff. It interrupts my breathing just as bad as it messes with Dad's. I don't know if you're about to have kids or if you never will, but seriously consider how you appear to others with your smoking habit. Smoking isn't cool anymore.

Get out while you aren't hooked yet.