• 113 results
#51 Posted by Milkman (16527 posts) -

Do what you want but I would suggest trying out e-cigs. Or maybe smoke cigars? I don't smoke them that often but I think they smell and taste better than cigarettes. Also, they're not as bad for you and are just generally cooler.

#52 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5235 posts) -

I do not smoke and never will. To each their own though.

#53 Posted by Arceion (199 posts) -

I smoked for 5 years pack a day and quit 7 months 2 weeks ago this Sunday. Feels good!

#54 Posted by ToTheNines (646 posts) -

it's your heatlh and money, go for it.

#55 Edited by senrat (312 posts) -

No I dont smoke because it drastically increases your chances of getting all sorts of nasty diseases. Its also expensive. Why could the time and money spent on cigarrettes not be put towards a good stress relieving hobby, like gaming perhaps?

#56 Edited by mjk0104 (191 posts) -

it's your heatlh and money, go for it.

I dunno, if that was all it was that'd be ok, still stupid, but ok. But smoking can be a really unpleasant and somewhat dangerous thing for people other than the smoker. Besides the fact they smell like someone took a bath in rotten meat, smoking in public places can have an affect on other peoples health. I'm not claiming to know how severe it can be, but I'm sure it doesn't do anything good.

If you can only smoke in private and somehow avoid smelling like an open sewer, then it's up to you, but I'd still strongly recommend quitting as soon as possible for your own sake.

#57 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (183 posts) -

I smoked for nine years and quit six months ago.

#58 Edited by horseman6 (363 posts) -

Don't go overboard and start smoking packs a day. Smoking isn't that big of a deal, just don't do it for too long. I smoked off and on for years but I never got addicted to it but I haven't smoked in a long time. But hey, if you're going to smoke, smoke some classy cigarettes like Nat Shermans. Or you could be smart and stop while you're ahead.

#59 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

I smoke cannabis only, and in the safety of my own home. Cigarettes are more addictive and less fun, I tried em a couple times and fail to see the point...

#60 Edited by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I have never smoked. Never wanted to try.

#61 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

As a smoker all I can tell is get out while you can

#62 Posted by ripelivejam (3541 posts) -

Play video games.

smoke them games up, son.

i enjoy animal crossing for its smooth flavor....

#63 Edited by Capum15 (4812 posts) -

The allure of smoking and why people ever start, is still a mystery to me...I'll never understand it.

I feel the same way. I just don't get it, and doubt that I ever will.

#64 Posted by Jacktrote (58 posts) -

@mb: Nail on the head. Everyone doesn't think they'll care about the consequences until its too goddamn late. I don't think Ive ever seen a chronic smoker on their death bed who can barely breathe say that it was all worth it.

Ouch. Makes me glad I haven't smoked more than 2 cigarettes a day since the beginning of this month, after a year and a half of excessive smoking. I signed up to a local gym and plan to quit smoking completely, so I'm gradually making my way out of it with very minimal smoking. Several days pass without touching a single cigarette, feels great.

That shit ruins you to no end, yeah.

#65 Edited by Starfishhunter9 (369 posts) -

Fucking stop it. Seriously, I don't care if you hate me just stop for your sake idiot.

#66 Edited by DrZing (67 posts) -

What everyone else said... if you want to smoke please just smoke e-cigs and stay away from the disgusting real ones! There are so many obvious good reasons and I can't honestly think of a negative reason. My wife died of lung cancer a couple years ago, she was in her early 40s and smoked for 25 years. :(

#67 Posted by Dimi3je (298 posts) -

I haven't had a cigar for three weeks now. I was a long time smoker and I can't remember why I started. Guess I thought it was cool or something. But yeah, my advice would be to quit.

#68 Edited by Humanity (8809 posts) -

If you can do it in moderation then whatever just don't end up smoking two packs a day. I smoke at parties and sometimes at work when a coworker drags me out but there are also times when I don't smoke for weeks on end.

#69 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

I smoked for 18 years. I started, I think, because the girl I was interested in at the time smoked. My penis said "Hey, if you mimic her bad habits maybe I'll get some playtime." It seemed like a reasonable argument plus, I had a friend who talked about smoking all the time. He didn't smoke, he just talked about it a lot. Anyway, those influences plus my love of old movies set me down the path. Nearly two decades later, I quit and have been smoke-free for 5 years. Best thing I ever did. The most immediate benefit was the extra cash I could now channel into new games. Perhaps I only exchanged one addiction for another, but gaming does get me some playtime...just not the type I hoped for way back when.

#70 Edited by fr0sterson (57 posts) -

I smoked on and off for probably a couple years. Was up to probably half a pack a day for a few months there. Decided to quit a year or so ago and haven't looked back

Let me tell you this: the reason cigarettes are so addictive is due to the psychological addiction, not the physical. Quitting is easy, but if there's a part of the routine that explicitly reminds you of the act then it's going to be a struggle not to go and buy a pack every time that comes up. And once you have a pack on you it's all over.

I saw it in the person that got me into cigarettes; every time he'd have a coffee, he'd have a smoke too. He loved coffee but said that he needed a smoke every time he'd drink coffee because he'd smoked every time he had a coffee for a long time. He just couldn't help himself. I've seen this pattern repeated over and over; study break smokes, drunk smokes, morning smokes, smokes when you see a particular friend, you name it. I made the decision to not associate smokes with any important thing in my life and it's probably the reason I'm not smoking today.

It's certainly a failsafe but if you're going to smoke and you don't plan on struggling with addiction down the track, this is your best bet

#71 Edited by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

@veektarius: I don't know why that caused me to laugh so much, such eloquence.

#72 Posted by sub_o (837 posts) -

If I recalled correctly, I started smoking when I was right after high school, during university years. I was not doing it regularly. Only when I started working, I started smoking half to one pack per day. I quit cold turkey recently, and haven't touched it since then.

I smoked to keep my awake, now I just try to do some push ups when I could.

#73 Posted by Rotnac (614 posts) -

Putting cancer sticks in your mouth and smoking them are not good for ya... M-m'kay? It turns your teeth and fingers and white electronics yellow and makes you smell like a dirty butthole which isn't cool... and that's bad, m'kay??

M'kay.

#74 Posted by Forcen (1804 posts) -
#75 Edited by ZolRoyce (631 posts) -

@rotnac said:

Putting cancer sticks in your mouth and smoking them are not good for ya... M-m'kay? It turns your teeth and fingers and white electronics yellow and makes you smell like a dirty butthole which isn't cool... and that's bad, m'kay??

M'kay.

I tried smoking a pipe once, the heat/smoke went directly into the back of my throat and it burned liked crazy and I had a coughing fit. So that's as far as I ever went with that.

I don't look down upon smokers though, we all probably have a habit that is no good for us, I eat a little to much and could spend less time sitting on my ass playing games.

#76 Edited by Hungry (165 posts) -

All of the people telling you to go for it are ridiculous. Humanity has known about the inherent long-term health risks of smoking for ages now - it isn't like alcohol where your liver can handle it bits at a time without killing itself. It doesn't seem like a big deal now but this is a snowball you don't want to start building up.

Also, I'm no psychologist but if you've been drinking a lot alone and taken up smoking now, you might be feeling a bit depressed because of your move. You might want to try talking to someone because these are the signs (at least to me, someone who deals with depression a lot) of going down a very dark road that I don't think anyone wants to see you go down, duder.

#77 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Hey, to each their own but I think its a super gross habit.

Word. I don't really care what other people do, I just dislike when they attempt to push it onto me.

#78 Posted by Aetheldod (3511 posts) -

Idiot >:( , you just grabed a very expensive and harmfull habit , hope you are happy. But then again its your life so congrats? D:

#79 Posted by falserelic (5328 posts) -

The first time I smoked was when I was 18. At the time stress was getting to me. I thought smoking would help relieve it. In someways it did help take my mind off of things, but then my brother caught me smoking. He got pissed-off and gave me a lecture. Then when I told a friend of mine what happened. He also gave me a lecture and told me that its the beginning of something worse to come.

So I stopped smoking for 3 years, and then when times was getting rough I started smoking again. Then I came to a realization that smoking won't help get rid of my problems, and that overtime it could cause harm to my body. At that point I just decided to give it up completely. Now I haven't smoked in 5 or 6 months.

#80 Edited by Fattony12000 (7049 posts) -
#81 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@psylah said:

Omae wa mo shindeiru

No bastardised Japanese in romaji plz.

#82 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@capum15 said:
@8bit_archer said:

The allure of smoking and why people ever start, is still a mystery to me...I'll never understand it.

I feel the same way. I just don't get it, and doubt that I ever will.

Throughout most of my teens I felt the exact same way, until I was around 19 and it sort of just happened.

#83 Edited by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

@mb said:

If you watched your grandmother die slowly of lung cancer and emphysema like I did, you wouldn't be smoking. It was a painful, miserable, and prolonged death.

I saw my dad die quickly due to the contribution of that stuff, and it wasn't pretty either. People who smoke don't think that sickness from smoking won't come to them, but rest assure that it certainly will... sooner or later.

#84 Posted by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

Good luck with the cancer and being a stinking, gross mess all the time!

#85 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

No, I have enough unhealthy habits already, smoking doesn't seem particularly appealing to me, and seeing what it does to people is scary.

#86 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

@tireyo said:

@mb said:

If you watched your grandmother die slowly of lung cancer and emphysema like I did, you wouldn't be smoking. It was a painful, miserable, and prolonged death.

I saw my dad die quickly due to the contribution of that stuff, and it wasn't pretty either. People who smoke don't think that sickness from smoking won't come to them, but rest assure that it certainly will... sooner or later.

I disagree with this. Most of my family smoke and they are all fully aware of what will happen.

#87 Posted by Xeiphyer (5595 posts) -

Sometimes it feels good to do something you know is slowly destroying yourself. I try and limit the exploitation of my vices to when I'm out partying, and then I just do them all.

#88 Edited by NathHaw (2760 posts) -

I quit smoking and drinking last year. I did it for health reasons, because I started to feel as though it was really affecting my mood and well-being. I hope that anyone who is even thinking about trying it realizes that almost everybody who started smoking thinks it won't get too much of a hold on him or her. Remember how addictive it is. Some people who quit still deal with cravings even years later. It's not worth it, and you might even be angry with yourself that you have caused that kind of situation in your life.

#89 Posted by Max_Cherry (1131 posts) -

Stop

#90 Edited by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

@jaytow said:

@tireyo said:

@mb said:

I disagree with this. Most of my family smoke and they are all fully aware of what will happen.

I disagree. If they are fully aware, then why haven't they quit? I have family and old friends that smoke too and they say they are aware, but they have no clue of what kind of impact it'll really bring to themselves and their families until it happens. I aggravate the piss out of the folks I know to stop, but I know it ain't going to go nowhere with them because they don't want to listen (what family or friend does?). It doesn't hurt trying to convince them otherwise though, because a miracle could happen.

#91 Posted by MarkM (288 posts) -

/thread

Fucking magnificent.

Smoking won't kill you if you do it a little bit. But if you do it a lot you'll probably die. Just smoke weed and watch Twlight Zone, bro.

#92 Edited by Everyones_A_Critic (6287 posts) -

There's a company that makes cigarettes called "Cannabis Free" that contain no tobacco, just a bunch of random herbs that don't do anything for you but satiate the oral fixation with smoking. Obviously inhaling smoke is never gonna be a healthy thing to do, but you're not gonna get cancer from them. Ecigs have made them somewhat obsolete though.

The thing that puts me off smoking is that eventually I'm gonna want to quit and that seems fucking awful. That and fiending for shit sucks. My old therapist told me once that quitting smoking was harder than getting his PHD.

#93 Posted by lennyy (73 posts) -

I'd like to be among the first to congratulate you on adopting one of humanity's oldest past-times: putting things in our mouths and lighting them on fire. I'm not sure who thought it up, but it is undoubtedly a part of what it means to be human to put smoldering plant matter between our lips and inhale its noxious exhaust into our lungs.

If anyone should suggest that you quit, you should reply, "Do you also think I should quit Beethoven? Or Shakespeare? Should I stop using simple tools like the wheel and the inclined plane? Because if I were to ignore my human heritage as you suggest, I would have to do all that as well."

Except listening to Beethoven won't slowly kill you.

#94 Edited by SSully (4125 posts) -

@l1ghtn1n said:

I've been smoking for about 2 years now and don't regret it a bit. I've recently been slowing down and thinking about quitting because of the obvious health reasons but I don't really want to. As strange as it may sound to a lot of you I really enjoy the taste and smell of cigarettes/cigars (always have even before I started), I like the way they look, and the actual act of putting it up to my lips and taking a drag.

Sure there aren't any health benefits. But for me that doesn't mean there aren't any benefits period. I'm typically a very shy, antisocial person. I've talked to a lot of cool people because of smoking. There's been several days when I'm waiting for my train to pull up to head to work or school where I'll step aside to have a smoke. Someone walks up to me and either asks to bum one off me or pulls one out and starts talking to me; it's been a great ice breaker. Also I have a few friends that smoke; when hanging out with several of them it's nice to step outside with one or two and have one while talking about something a little more personal or serious rather than the usually bullshit we talk about as a large group. For me that's worth it. Also there's few things I like more than stepping outside on a cold winter night, with the stars above you and dead silence around you, sitting down on the patio and having a cigarette.

This is literally the saddest justification for smoking that I have ever read.

#95 Posted by Artso (73 posts) -

I work at a call center doing tech support and since I have to drive an hour to work and another hour home drinking on the job or doing drugs is not an option. So I started smoking on the drive to work, on my breaks, and the drive home. I literally never smoke unless I'm working and have zero desire to unless it's a work day.

Why do you have to drink/do drugs/smoke? Sounds like a miserable life.

#96 Posted by HatKing (5820 posts) -

Are we talking about smoking or are we talking about smoking, man? Hahaheheheheheahahaheeheheahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

#97 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

@artso said:

@crusader8463 said:

I work at a call center doing tech support and since I have to drive an hour to work and another hour home drinking on the job or doing drugs is not an option. So I started smoking on the drive to work, on my breaks, and the drive home. I literally never smoke unless I'm working and have zero desire to unless it's a work day.

Why do you have to drink/do drugs/smoke? Sounds like a miserable life.

Because the job is getting screamed at for 9 hours a day by entitled, rude, repugnant, idiots who don't know what they are talking about and you have to sit there and pretend to be nice and give a shit about their problems. You either do some kind of substance to get through the days or you just go crazy. It's the only kind of work in the area for hundreds of people or no one would ever work at a call center.

#98 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

grab an ecig, it's better for you

#99 Posted by liquiddragon (222 posts) -

@jaytow: I'm around your age and I smoked for about 8 years but last month I decided to quit. I've been tobacco free for a month now. I started smoking because I started drinking and you know other stuff, it just came with the territory. I kept smoking because I like the act of it. Holding a cigarette between your fingers, inhaling and exhaling smoke, and calming you down a bit, it's a relaxing thing. If I could keep doing it I would, I mean I still like the act of smoking. What really sucks is what it does to your body and overall health. Of course you won't notice it for a good while and you can probably smoke longer than me and be fine but this year I started to really notice it for real. However, the main reason I stopped is because it really does become an addiction.

It's not like any hard drugs so it wouldn't effect you in the same but addiction is addiction. Once your an addict, finding the excuses to keep doing it comes naturally. I just really hated that aspect of it and I don't quite know how I beat it this time. I feel like I cheated somehow. People that know me can't believe I'm actually doing it. Even when I did smoke, I always told friends that aren't smokers that start smoking to stop. I would even go as far as to bitch them out. It really sounds silly but just stop while your ahead. It only gets harder

#100 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

No, it's a gross, stupid habit.