So I started watching WWF RAW from 93, I don't get this part

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ALavaPenguin

In an early episode I remember Rob Bartlett doing this thing with what I last remember [been a bit so I forget exactly] where he is instead of watching the wrestling changing to other channels on their monitor cause apparently he doesn't like the match or is more interested in other things? I figured that was just Rob Bartlett being stupid at first cause it seemed so absurdly stupid to be basically acting like "hey guys, change the channel look what is over on this channel!"

But then on the first episode where Rob Bartlett is gone and Bobby Heenan replaces him [Episode 14 if you want to look it up on the network], they do the exact same "gag" or whatever it is. Is it just me or does this seem incredibly stupid? Or did I just miss something and didn't get it correctly? I assume they were not changing and showing other channels on their channel for probably legal reasons, but what exactly was the point of this? This seems crazy. I feel like they are actually trying for a comedy gag that is really saying "hey guys change the channel don't watch us". Even if it is more of the heel-ish announcers doing it..... it seems a bit crazy. So what am I missing? I have been playing games while watching so maybe I missed it but I pay overall pretty close attention.

Then again you can say that a lot of times from 93 raw....

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

1993 Raw was garbage.

That's the full reason

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah but this beyond doesn't even make sense, did they think since the "bad guy announcer" was basically saying hey change the channel it would make people not change cause they would supposedly be against the bad guy?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah but this beyond doesn't even make sense, did they think since the "bad guy announcer" was basically saying hey change the channel it would make people not change cause they would supposedly be against the bad guy?

Hey man, all I'm saying is that trying to apply non-wrestling logic to wrestling is a dangerous path

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@alavapenguin said:

Hey man, all I'm saying is that trying to apply non-wrestling logic to wrestling is a dangerous path

Welcome to some variation of every conversation every monday/tuesday night in wrestling thread for the past year

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

it was all just laying the foundation for their Second Screen Experience(tm)

Jabbawocky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 16

@alavapenguin As stupid as it sounds it was to show that Raw was live and they were proving it by telling people what was going playing on other channels at the time.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alavapenguin As stupid as it sounds it was to show that Raw was live and they were proving it by telling people what was going playing on other channels at the time.

That actually makes the most sense because they were tape delayed for a while. But that is a level of subtly I dont think the WWE is capable of.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Early 90s was a dire time for WWE. I've been watching some clips from that era and determined the best thing to come out of it was the debut of heel Doink. That's not even a joke. Heel Doink was great!

Loading Video...

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By KaneRobot

@gorillamopena said:

1993 Raw was garbage.

That's the full reason

You hold your tongue. Although it's mostly nothing special by today's standards, you need to look at it in context of the time period. Before to Raw, WWF had been all jobber matches and canned crowd noise for the prior ~10 years. Raw was a fucking incredible overhaul, even in its infancy. A live and active crowd, and matches between name wrestlers being a regular thing was huge (even if a lot of the time those "name" matches was stuff like Damien Demento vs. Hacksaw Jim Duggan or whatever). If you weren't watching during that time I suppose I can see how you wouldn't get that, but regardless:

Razor being upset by the 123 Kid is not garbage. Shawn vs. Marty IC title change match is not garbage. Flair vs. Hennig loser leaves town is not garbage.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ALavaPenguin

@jabbawocky said:

OK NOW THAT MAKES SENSE! Now I still think it is a bit silly but now I get why they did it.

But yeah as someone else said, so far I am really enjoying the whole evil clown doink.... oddly enough.

There are some absurdly stupid stuff in this early Raw, but looking at the time it is not as "garbage" as people say. Honestly there is still some great stuff in there.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ALavaPenguin

Ok they basically debuted a wrestler [Adam Bomb] using that live channel thing. Bobby Heenan was flipping through channels and then the new guy's manager was on one and was like "don't change the channel bobby!" and then announced him coming to the ring..... That was weird

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alavapenguin: That is a level of continuity I wouldn't expect from wrestling outside of Lucha Underground.