So I went to the Comic Vine forums...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By Mercy_

@TheRedRobin96 said:

Wowwwwwwwww atleast the people on Comic Vine dont cuss every other word.

LOL not really. It's simply against the rules for us to cuss....

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202  Edited By _Zombie_

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

@zombiebigfoot:

Nah its all good.....Yeah, video game nerds vs. comic book nerds.....what an epic battle. :P

Epic, but stupid. Nerds/geeks shouldn't be fighting with one another period. We should unify and kick the bums of our enemies, together!

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By HandsomeDead

When you consider the garbage quality of the website itself, it's not so surprising that the forum is awful too. No one on their site can write to the standard of a MySpace blog, let alone get paid to write.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Mercy_

@uniform said:

Nude Wolverine w/ rubber claws vs Silver Surfer riding a pizza box

- Both characters are cranky because they missed their nap

- Fighting for a strip of bacon

- No rules

Who wins?

Sad thing is, this is better quality than most of the battle forum threads that actually exist there.

@Ziccarra_Liafador said:

I wonder if my other accounts are still here O_o

Using alts is a ban-able offense here, so watch out.

fire_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By fire_star

@TheRedRobin96 said:

...............also......ANIMEVICE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you come to this conclusion how? If you don't post regularly on a site, you don't really know what happens and the community there. You can make speculation, but blatant statements as this have very little proof behind them.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#206  Edited By Karl_Boss

@courtney12490 said:

@TheRedRobin96 said:

Do people get in trouble for censor bypassing though?.....like for saying f*ck or sh*t?.....I remember Gamespot was always anal about that.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#207  Edited By _Zombie_

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

@courtney12490 said:

@TheRedRobin96 said:

Do people get in trouble for censor bypassing though?.....like for saying f*ck or sh*t?.....I remember Gamespot was always anal about that.

Nah. They usually don't give a crap as long as we don't use the actual word.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Mercy_

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

@courtney12490 said:

@TheRedRobin96 said:

Nope, if they did I would have been banned about a hundred times now instead of just the four from when the mods decided to play the "who can ban DH first" game after the great CV crash of 11 (not to be confused with Whiskeypocalypse) or that time I called Gambler's bluff.

And damn and hell are okay....I dunno. I HATE the swearing rules there, I think they're ridiculous. Swearing is not the worst thing a kid's gonna see on the internet. Hell, some of the content hosted in the wiki is worse than swears.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Karl_Boss

@courtney12490: Yeah I don't get why so many sites don't let you swear.....seems like Giantbomb is one of the few commercial sites that actually allows its users to swear.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#210  Edited By Hailinel
fire_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By fire_star

The swearing rule is to protect the children, after all, Comic Vine has a more open mind for younger audiences. Your allowed to cuss on Anime Vice as well.

TheRedRobin96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By TheRedRobin96

@fire_star: Itas not to hard to come to that decission when I used to go on there, my user name was somthing weird I forgot it but if I remember I will post it later. Plus their threads arent as active as Giant Bomb or Comic Vine so that takes away alot of the fun. Aswell I dont like Anime to much at all.......

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#213  Edited By Bigheart711

It looks like a lot of people on here still generalize the other whiskey sites when they haven't even visited them often. It pains me to see that shit happen, but it always happens on the internet. :/

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Mercy_

@fire_star said:

The swearing rule is to protect the children, after all, Comic Vine has a more open mind for younger audiences. Your allowed to cuss on Anime Vice as well.

Refer to my earlier point ;)

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

@courtney12490: Yeah I don't get why so many sites don't let you swear.....seems like Giantbomb is one of the few commercial sites that actually allows its users to swear.

I understand in theory why that rule exists, I just think it's stupid. There's a lot worse to be seen on the internet than somebody throwing down a few f-bombs.

To be fair, though, GB is an entirely different breed of site than CV. Whoever it was who said earlier that WM was the only thing connecting them was pretty spot-on.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By Karl_Boss

@Hailinel: Considering all the hate for sites like Anime Vice and past tension between whiskey media sites (Anime Vice users being upset over the Dig Deep episode).....I can't believe that you can't believe that I thought you were being serious.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Mercy_

@Commando said:

I bet they sometimes come over here to laugh at how weird the Giant Bomb forums are. I mean we're all a bunch of fucked up lunatics here!

It's what we love ;)

@ImpendingFoil said:

I run a comic book store and I find Comic Vine to be uninteresting and whole bunch of other negative words.

Can I ask what about it that you're not a fan of? Is it the articles, the reviews the content or just the community in general? And have you actually ever given it a chance? Not trying to convert you, just genuinely want to know what about it that you don't like.

@rebgav said:

@myketuna said:

And on October 11, 2011, the seeds of the Whiskey Media Site Civil War were planted...

We're laying the groundwork for our huge summer crossover event. End result; Whiskey Media will be split into an indefinite number of alternate universes and Power Girl will get her own book again.

You sir, have won some kind of internet award.

@NekuSakuraba said:

What I would like to know is how the top users there range from 40,000 forum posts to 140,000 forum posts.

How in the fuck do they do that? Are they wizards?

Off-topic forum and RPG forums.

The off-topic forum here is absolutely amazing and it's full of quality stuff, CV's is not so much. On CV you have an incredibly active "what's going through your mind" thread that leads to an upped post count, but is also home to some fucking hilarious conversations and content. It's kind of like the CV version of a chatbox.

Then there are inane threads like 0!, which is literally just people posting numbers and the person to post last before a mod resets it wins. And there's the A-Z thread which is people naming a character whose name corresponds to whichever letter that is. Then there's the "person to post the last comment wins" which is basically WGTYM 2.0. There are a LOT of what could be deemed "useless" threads, although a lot of them are amazingly fun.

Then there's the RPG forums which I won't get into as after reading through some GB threads there seems to be a pre-existing bias against RPG stuff in general, which is completely understandable. But those threads boost count as well.

fire_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By fire_star

@TheRedRobin96: Just as I said, opinions like these have little proof to back them up.

• A lot of has changed recently, especially in the last few months
  • Being less active doesn't make a site worse than another, it can sometimes be more opening to possible members, in any case, that is a flawed excuse
  • Why are you on Anime Vice if you don't like Anime much? That alone can make you slightly biased
  • If you would look at data, we are a more wiki-oriented site, and our forum activity continues to grow.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By Hailinel

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

@Hailinel: Considering all the hate for sites like Anime Vice and past tension between whiskey media sites (Anime Vice users being upset over the Dig Deep episode).....I can't believe that you can't believe that I thought you were being serious.

I can't believe that you can't believe that I can't believe that you can't believe that I can't believe that you thought I was being serious.

Or was it 4 "I can't believes" and three "you can't believes"? I've lost track.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Karl_Boss

@Hailinel: You made one too many, I believe.....but who's counting?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Hailinel

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

@Hailinel: You made one too many, I believe.....but who's counting?

I can't believe it!

TheRedRobin96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By TheRedRobin96

@fire_star:

Ever heard of testing a site out??? I am on their site right now and the forum board has stuff from like an hour and a half ago......so yea. I like Screened and Comic Vines wiki's the best they have more to offer for me.

fire_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By fire_star

@TheRedRobin96 said:

@fire_star:

Ever heard of testing a site out??? I am on their site right now and the forum board has stuff from like an hour and a half ago......so yea. I like Screened and Comic Vines wiki's the best they have more to offer for me.

I wasn't trying to make you like the site, I was simply saying you don't have adequate proof to base it on. Yeah, I have. You can test it out, but to make such a strong comment to me takes a little more than testing something out.

Does it really matter? No, I already told you, most people think judging a site and it being "sucky" by activity isn't proper.

And we have activity that can be compared to Screened and usually more so than Tested.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By pw2566ch

@mylifeforAiur said:

Hey, guys! I heard that Anime Vice sucks, too! And all the weirdos congregate at Tested! Screened? Full of pansies. Giantbomb? The last bastion of sanity on the Internet.

Apparently you don't visit Reddit.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do like the option of swearing, which is great because I don't swear.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Three0neFive
@pw2566ch said:

@mylifeforAiur said:

Hey, guys! I heard that Anime Vice sucks, too! And all the weirdos congregate at Tested! Screened? Full of pansies. Giantbomb? The last bastion of sanity on the Internet.

>reddit
>sanity

i dont think so, tim.
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#226  Edited By Aronman789

My problem with CV are the RPG and Battle threads, I thought that shit was killed off back in 2008. I mean jesus, how many times can you go "I jump kicked you in the face", "I dodged and punched you in the stomach, "I didn't feel it because I'm made of rock", ect., before you get bored? I know I can only do it zero.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Hailinel

@Three0neFive said:

@pw2566ch said:

@mylifeforAiur said:

>reddit >sanity i dont think so, tim.

He's referring to the Giant Bomb post that was lambasted on Reddit earlier today.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#228  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@Hailinel said:

@Three0neFive said:

@pw2566ch said:

@mylifeforAiur said:

He's referring to the Giant Bomb post that was lambasted on Reddit earlier today.

Then he's absolutely spot-on. I have not seen the lambasted post. I try to stay away from sites like Reddit or 4Chan. You know, sites that people are always speaking ill about. 
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#229  Edited By Jeffsekai

Giantbomb forms are also kinda ass.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Three0neFive
@mylifeforAiur: If 4chan is the asshole of the internet, then Reddit is the skid marks on the bottom of the toilet bowl.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Mercy_

@Aronman789 said:

My problem with CV are the RPG and Battle threads, I thought that shit was killed off back in 2008. I mean jesus, how many times can you go "I jump kicked you in the face", "I dodged and punched you in the stomach, "I didn't feel it because I'm made of rock", ect., before you get bored? I know I can only do it zero.

It's not everybody's cup of tea, quite obviously. But why judge those who do enjoy it?

The RPG forum for a very long time was an enormous part of CV's livelihood. It's pretty dead now, but if you just take a look, it has the highest top poster counts for any individual forum.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By pw2566ch

@mylifeforAiur said:

@Hailinel said:

@Three0neFive said:

@pw2566ch said:

@mylifeforAiur said:

Then he's absolutely spot-on. I have not seen the lambasted post. I try to stay away from sites like Reddit or 4Chan. You know, sites that people are always speaking ill about.

I find more hope in Reddit than this site.

fire_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By fire_star

@Aronman789 said:

LOL, the RPG forums contain a whole lot more than battles, and especially a whole lot more than what you stated. The RPG forums are some of the most successful on several sites, including CV.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#234  Edited By Aronman789

@fire_star said:

@Aronman789 said:

LOL, the RPG forums contain a whole lot more than battles, and especially a whole lot more than what you stated. The RPG forums are some of the most successful on several sites, including CV.

Well, my experience with battle and RPG threads comes from my old days back at MangaFox, which consisted mostly of those and "Fanclub" pages for different users. That was not a good place in my life.

So explain to me what they're like at CV then, because all I can picture them as are those I just mentioned, improve storytelling or straight up D&D dice rolling.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By wickedsc3

I posted on there once and they answered my question and was very pleasant. Also, no one trolling in my post so overall I found there forums very helpful and nice. No doubt that it has its share of jerks but that's the internet, even Giant Bomb has them.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By Mercy_

@Aronman789 said:

@fire_star said:

@Aronman789 said:

Well, my experience with battle and RPG threads comes from my old days back at MangaFox, which consisted mostly of those and "Fanclub" pages for different users. That was not a good place in my life.

So explain to me what they're like at CV then, because all I can picture them as are those I just mentioned, improve storytelling or straight up D&D dice rolling.

The RPGs on CV and AV are text-based story-telling. It's not a take on D&D. They're all done with original characters and the main goals are just to have fun and improve your writing.

That being said, there are rules that are adhered to. Like the examples you mentioned of jump kicking people in the face and punching in the stomach? That'd never fly over there.

If you're actually interested in me going into more detail and aren't just being facetious (I honestly can't tell), then I'd be happy to further expand (I'm Dark Huntress over there, one of the top RPG posters).

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#237  Edited By AngelN7

Im feeling conflicted right now , I actually made an account on Comic Vine before I even knew about GB hell I think it was before the site launched , I go sometimes to CV is the best site ever if you like comics but GB has been kind to me but this is... I cannot choose a side in this war!, who´s Captain America and who is Tony Stark?!

Also Geez man you guys are making us look like a bunch of bullies stop picking on them Anime Vices and Comic Vines, you jerks pick on something your own size like Tested!.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By CaptainCody

@HandsomeDead said:

When you consider the garbage quality of the website itself, it's not so surprising that the forum is awful too. No one on their site can write to the standard of a MySpace blog, let alone get paid to write.

It just bothers me that the top article I see is, "Should Wonder Woman have a father figure?" This is honestly one of the reasons I hate Sara.

fire_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By fire_star

@CaptainCody said:

@HandsomeDead said:

It just bothers me that the top article I see is, "Should Wonder Woman have a father figure?" This is honestly one of the reasons I hate Sara.

That is quite a hefty comment. Especially for someone who works hard on the site.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By CaptainCody

@pw2566ch said:

@mylifeforAiur said:

(Double postin' for dat 145k post goal)

>Implying that Reddit was ever more than some mediocre residence for a bunch of sheep who have a bit of time to spare out of their busy Tumblr schedule.

whatwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By whatwait

@Avenging-X-Bolt: the publishers include material like that to attract kids that want to be hip and edgy. but fret not! your brain just hasn't fully developed, once you grow up you'll understand and realize that comics are childish.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By CaptainCody

@fire_star said:

@CaptainCody said:

@HandsomeDead said:

That is quite a hefty comment. Especially for someone who works hard on the site.

I just figured it was time someone said it. I think everyone is to busy appreciating her looks sometimes to stop and realise her articles are based on some feminism fandom rather than a coherent look on why Wonder Woman should still even be an interesting character. Tony fo' life.

Edit: Also take notice that their are two of essentially the same articles on their front page detailing the WW father scenario. Tony's being brief and to the point because it is a simple reveal. Sara's being elongated and schewed towards her expressing just how much she knows about the character to an unnecessary extent.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By Dany

You guys sure are a bundle of joy right now.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dany said:

I was going to post a comment like that too... I dont get this strange animosity towards Comic Vine

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By GreggD

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@Dany said:

I was going to post a comment like that too... I dont get this strange animosity towards Comic Vine

I don't really get it, either. I never visit the site, because I'm not into comics per se, so my opinion is not one to look at, anyway.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By CaptainCody

@Dany said:

For me, it's just that I have a much better time on 4chan's /co/ versus the CV forums being completely unpalatable, which seems weird considering the wide consensus about 4chan from everyone here.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#247  Edited By ThePickle

Anime Vice is worse. Nothing but imaginary battles and dumb off topics.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GreggD said:

@Dany said:

I don't really get it, either. I never visit the site, because I'm not into comics per se, so my opinion is not one to look at, anyway.

Yeah me neither... I just checked out that thread on Comic Vine about this thread and I find that they post way too much... Also the people with 1000 posts seem like theyve only been on the site on the week for some strange reason. Maybe its because Im comparing them to the dudes with like 30 000 posts?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Mercy_

@CaptainCody: You make some good points :) I don't think it necessarily warrants saying you hate Sara (you've never conversed with her to my knowledge, nor actually met her), but you can most certainly hate the way she writes and the viewpoint that she has.

And I don't even bother with CV articles or reviews anymore other than the occasional Off My Mind that Tony does or anything that Mat writes.

@HandsomeDevil said:

Anime Vice is worse. Nothing but imaginary battles and dumb off topics.

Don't GBers ever get tired of making fun of AV? It's the redheaded stepchild of Whiskey Media, it's an easy target.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By GreggD

@GreggD said:

@Dany said:

Yeah me neither... I just checked out that thread on Comic Vine about this thread and I find that they post way too much... Also the people with 1000 posts seem like theyve only been on the site on the week for some strange reason. Maybe its because Im comparing them to the dudes with like 30 000 posts?

I guess it's just kinda relative. I mean, you look at the people on this site, and if they're in the high hundreds, you know they've been around a while.