#1 Posted by indieslaw (385 posts) -

Hey all.

So I'm in San Francisco. Im out here doing some interviews for a couple of jobs (trying to move to the area), but those are done for the day. So, what should I do? Is there anything super cool and gaming related to be found in the city? Besides crashing the Giant Bomb offices, I mean (it would probably reflect poorly on the CBSi application I put in).

Where would you go?

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

RIDE A TROLLEY!

#3 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

i dunno, theres nothing really worth seeing. maybe go on that bridge.

#4 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2059 posts) -

Go to Jeff's house. He loves getting visitors.

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (10138 posts) -

There's all those gay dudes there, maybe see what's up with that?

#6 Posted by indieslaw (385 posts) -

These are all really good ideas. #checklisted

#7 Posted by boj4ngles (287 posts) -

If you like seafood and are down to drop a pretty penny for an awesome lunch, then go to Tadich's Grill. Best cioppino I've ever had. And all the waiters have a reputation for being mild assholes.

#8 Posted by leafhouse (133 posts) -

come to my house!

#9 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4899 posts) -

I'd go to an awesome seafood place right on the coast.

#10 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -
@Clonedzero said:

i dunno, theres nothing really worth seeing. maybe go on that bridge.

Wow, someone is spoiled for culture. Try living in the Deep South (for the sake of argument, New Orleans doesn't count).
#11 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

I'd check out Chinatown, then head over to the Pier 39 area. Can't remember if they are there in the summer or winter or how it works, but there are usually a ton of seals hanging out and doing seal stuff there. There are lots of good places to eat in the area, but I'd say the most famous is House of Prime Rib. Guess what they serve? It's expensive, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better steak. Failing that, get some dim sum in Chinatown. You'll know you're in the right place if chicken feet are offered there. I'd avoid eating around the Pier 39 area, it's cool to visit, but it's pretty much a tourist trap.

#12 Posted by indieslaw (385 posts) -

I'm not so much down for seafood, which is kind of sacrilege in this city, but I will say that the pizza slices here in town tend to be bigger than the big-pizza-slices back home, so that's a plus. Checked out Chinatown, and also I think I was in a Japanese district for a minute, but I'm not 100%. Pier 39 was cool... and also a walkthrough was totally sufficient to get everything I'd need from that place. Didn't see a seal, though.

Hit the Beat Museum, saw America's Dirt on the On The Road car, that was kinda alright. That place is surrounded by some of the most uninviting-looking strip clubs I've ever seen.

Just dicking around now, so maybe I will hit Castro after all. (yuk yuk)

I'm going to be here through the weekend, I'm half-considering going to California Extreme. It honestly would be cool to run into the bomb crew, but also it sounds like a Nickelcade writ large, and a good way to kill an afternoon. My motel is halfway to Santa Clara anyway. The alternative would be to try to find some redwoods and take a few snapshots. If Rise of the Planet of the Apes taught me anything, its that there are redwoods right next to SF somewhere...

#13 Posted by MC_Hify (352 posts) -

I've wanted to check out this place: http://www.museemechanique.org/

I'm thinking about checking out California Extreme tomorrow night as well.

#14 Posted by Tomzombie (401 posts) -

DO THE 22 Dollar Pho Challenge in the city unless you can't afford to do the challenge 2 pounds of meat and 2 pounds of noodles that have to be eaten in one hour.

#15 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -

@Tomzombie said:

DO THE 22 Dollar Pho Challenge in the city unless you can't afford to do the challenge 2 pounds of meat and 2 pounds of noodles that have to be eaten in one hour.

Enter the Meat Dimension!

#16 Posted by indieslaw (385 posts) -

Now this sounds like a challenge I could do. Unless some jerk kicked me in the stomach, like in Se7en. Where's that at?

#17 Posted by Milkman (17339 posts) -

Eat a burrito. I hear those are pretty good out there.

#18 Posted by Blannir (250 posts) -

Go see the house from Full House!

#19 Posted by indieslaw (385 posts) -

Oh, shit, not a bad idea.

#20 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1474 posts) -

Get a Big Wheel and ride down the hills.

#21 Posted by Hunter5024 (5980 posts) -

California Extreme dude! Also Alcatraz really is pretty cool, even though it's one of the most touristy things you can do. The friends I was with who ditched me to go to a strip club (I was 20 at the time) said it was really awesome, though I think this was largely due to them being into asians. (On an unrelated note they got in for free with a GDC pass, what's up with that?)

#22 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

Drive down to Novato and grab a burrito at Mi Pueblo. You'll be finishing one of those babies off your whole trip.

#23 Posted by Kaiserhawk (62 posts) -

You gotta follow me, set me free, trust me and we will escape from the city.

I'll make it through and prove it to you, Follow me.

#24 Edited by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

They have some sort of arcade-gaming museum hybrid near Fisherman's Wharf, visit that? They have that arcade game where you hold the pegs and it shocks you in increasingly violent bursts.. it's awesome.

EDIT: Here's the link: http://museemechanique.org/

Oh!! I just remembered. Right outside of this place there is a big-ass submarine. You have to pay to board it, but it's pretty neat. Buy a churro from the nearby vendors!

#25 Posted by indieslaw (385 posts) -

Well, today I'm spending the day at CAX, while my friends are at a Fiona Apple show. Pretty rad, I realize just how many different types of arcades I just never saw growing up, and the sixties era pinball machines are a trip.

And I saw Ryan! But he was having a moment with another fan, I didn't want to interrupt.
Now I'm at the Bennigan's having a Monte Cristo in honor of all the bombadiers who couldn't be here. In addition to the sandwiches being thick, so are the meat slices within.

#26 Posted by indieslaw (385 posts) -

Well, today I'm spending the day at CAX, while my friends are at a Fiona Apple show. Pretty rad, I realize just how many different types of arcades I just never saw growing up, and the sixties era pinball machines are a trip.

And I saw Ryan! But he was having a moment with another fan, I didn't want to interrupt.
Now I'm at the Bennigan's having a Monte Cristo in honor of all the bombadiers who couldn't be here. In addition to the sandwiches being thick, so are the meat slices within.

#27 Posted by Johnnboy2000 (115 posts) -

If you are still in in the south bay and you want to see some redwoods head towards Santa Cruise it's about 30 to 45 mins from the Santa Clara Hilton. There two ways to go the most direct route would be the17 that winds its way through the Santa Cruz mountains it's I nice drive but very windee and keep in mine that it's the main thorofare from Santa Cruz to the Southbay so it can be busy and people drive it fast at times. If you want a more leisure drive it will take longer to get though but the scenery is a lot better take the 9 from Saratoga it will take you through Ben Lamont , Boulder Creek and eventually to Santa Cruz . When it Santa Cruz go to the boardwalk it's free to walk around but if you want to ride the rides you need to buy ticket but it's not that expensive. I would recommend riding the oldest wooden roller coaster on the west cost the Giant Dipper once. Then you can take highway 1 along the cost all the way back to San Francisco trip time two and from is about a hour or so . You can do all of this in a day. If you wants some good food in San Francisco there is plenty to be had but try Tommy's joint on Vine it's a hot-brau type of joint you order cafeteria style and it's open setting, the place has been there for almost 70 years and the decor has to be seen to believe. Also if you get a chance go to Haight Ashbury it a cool place to walk around but there are a far share of homeless but most of them are cool. Stop by cha cha cha Mexican restaurant the foods ok but sangria it's the shit. Wow ok I sound like a travelogue but I just love my where I'm from. One last think just drive or walk around San Francisco go to the golden gate park or ocean Beach just explore.

#28 Posted by Johnnboy2000 (115 posts) -

Correction Santa Cruz is more like an hour and a half from Santa Clara Hilton. And the boardwalk has a big arcade as well.

#29 Posted by indieslaw (385 posts) -

Well, I'm back to my home base, the motel in Hayward. Looks like we're doing Golden Gate today, plus Northbeach, Coyt Tower, Black Sand, Sausalito, and other stuff, my friends have a list.

#30 Posted by Butano (1790 posts) -

If you like Disney, there's the Walt Disney Family Museum that's a pretty cool place to learn about his history and legacy. It's kinda hidden away along the coast by some warehouses, but it's definitely worth the tour.

#31 Posted by indieslaw (385 posts) -

good day in the bay. gotta say, muir woods were pretty rad. checked out castro and mission st, wound up in some bars on valencia and got a nice feel for the city. back to city lights for the third time. this would be a fun town to live in.

#32 Posted by Zenogiasu (192 posts) -

Saw the thread topic, immediately thought: "He's in Street Fighter? What? How?"

#33 Posted by indieslaw (385 posts) -

They had a machine of the original Street Fighter at CAX. It was unpleasant, but fortunately didn't suck me into the Ryuverse or the Hondasphere.