So is HBO Go awful for anyone else?

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mustainium

I've been trying for the longest to catch up on Game of Thrones, but the horrible quality provided by HBO is much too distracting. Tried it on my 360, as well as my Nexus 7, but it's just as bad. Netflix is crystal clear in comparison.

Has anyone had any success with it?

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You are not alone, the quality on HBO GO is terrible for me too, especially on the website. I also get weird frame rate fluctuations in the 360 app. And of course if you are a Comcast user, no access on PS3 and Roku. LAME.

BTW I get great quality with Amazon video.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hatking

Weird, HBO GO works consistently better than Netflix for me. I'm on Comcast, by the way.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think HBO may have the best quality out of all of them for me! Netflix and Amazon both look great for me as well though. It prob depends on where you live/provider. HBO GO is not the problem, I would guess its your ISP.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's not available outside of the US.... so yes. Game of Thrones is the only thing I use my cable box for.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Hmm, a little bit. I've been watching Girls on my iPad Air and sometimes the quality isn't as great as it should be. I'm sure it's not an issue with my internet because I can stream GB videos in HD no problem.

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kkotd

Nope, crystal clear using it on my Samsung Smart TV.

danfess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mustainium: Exact same for me. Haven't done much troubleshooting, however.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By James_ex_machina

The video quality has been good for me. The awful part for me is the interface. I'm using HBO GO on my Apple TV, Comcast in my area doesn't support the PS3 HBO GO yet. I hate the clumsy queue setup and having no way of knowing what I watched last.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

@james_ex_machina: The interface is definitely the biggest problem I have with it. The fact that you can only add individual episodes to your watch list instead of entire shows is some real boneheaded design.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

works fine on apple tv.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They call it "HBO nordic" up here in the north. The quality is great but I do notice some stuttering whenever there's a panning shot. Netflix is fine though.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HBOGo is fucking garbage. All I want is to watch GoT without having to pirate it, and I don't have access to HBO at college.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it works, it's fine. But the site's crashed a few times (True Detective finale, GoT premiere) or I've just had trouble logging on.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I haven't used HBOGo in ages. My experience with it ranges from perfect to fucking abysmal. There have been times where I've binged watched multiple seasons of multiple shows with zero issue and there have been times where trying to watch one episode of something takes like half a day because it's constantly buffering even when it's clearly streaming on the lowest quality.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I used it on my 360 once and never again.

Works fine on my pc and laptop, aside from it refusing to log me in every once in a while even though I'm entering all of the information properly.

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mbdoeden

It works surprisingly well for me, but I'm on Cox cable internet which AFAIK seems to be pretty fair when it comes to streaming media. Meaning, they have no hard data caps so they don't throttle traffic they don't "recognize". Obviously I don't know exactly what I'm talking about, but maybe your ISP doesn't see HBO Go traffic as priority and throttles it as if it was a large file you are downloading rather than streaming traffic.

Again, I'm just speculating.

Overall I will echo some comments already made here: it seems like when it works, it works well and when it doesn't, it really doesn't. Luckily it works more often than not in my case.

KarlDog1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KarlDog1976

Just a courtesy too anyone like me that was looking for answers, here is the answer. HBOGO needs hardware acceleration from your video card to be activated from the setting within your browser, and depending on what video card you have, there could also be a setting in your video driver app

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ezekiel

@tom_omb said:

It's not available outside of the US.... so yes. Game of Thrones is the only thing I use my cable box for.

Why are you paying for cable for one show when you could just buy the season on disc? Oh, I just noticed this is two years old, so this person might not even be here anymore.

Why is this person paying for cable for one show when they could just buy the season on disc?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@ezekiel: The obvious answer is, because he wants to watch it when it comes out and not be forced to wait several weeks to even months after the last episode aired. Out of all the options, I'd have to say that disc is the worst for a fan.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By crithon

uhhhhh..... kinda.... I mean there's something I don't enjoy about the Sandsnake's idea of Feminism as I babysit my niece. I'd rather have her watch Mad Max Fury Road on Blu Ray instead of get her warped ideas of what is feminism

I'm often afraid Silicone Valley Turns into Entourage, and I want to watch VIP but I don't want people seeing me watch it.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Tom_omb

@ezekiel: I wouldn't pay for cable if I was the one in the household who had to pay for cable. But I've got it, so I might as well watch it.

Actually I'm PVRing a few more TV shows now, like Last Man on Earth and Silicone Valley.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By ArtisanBreads

It doesn't work well in Firefox for me. Better in IE for whatever reason. Still not great though.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

go usually works well for me. now hulu, that shit is b r o k e n.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had any issues recently but in the past I have. I currently use Chromecast.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

HBO GO on PS4 is the only app on there that is consistently good. Can't speak to the 360 or on laptops, but maybe they don't spend as much time on the older console apps?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

HBo go is some really bad video software... hbo now is better though, for some reason.

MEA_Sonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to watch HBO GO on my 360 and it was consistently horrible. It either had fluctuating resolution or outright stopped the show to buffer several times per episode. Once I converted to Xbox One, all the problems subsided. Still, if you don't have a Xbone, I wouldn't suggest it just for better HBO GO service.