• 95 results
Posted by DaddyCabinet (204 posts) 7 months, 27 days ago

Poll: So is Optimus Prime riding Grimlock in the new transformers a good thing? (230 votes)

Yes 37%
No 10%
Seems kinda dumb 53%
#1 Edited by IzunaDrop (147 posts) -

What a dis on Grimlock.....The guy can beat Prime in a 1 on 1 fight. Gen 1 proved that.

And why does someone who turns into a truck need to ride anything land-based?

#2 Posted by Sinusoidal (1539 posts) -

Oh holy fuck!

I had ZERO hope for this movie. The first three were travesties, one and all. Now I have less than zero. I have negative hope for this movie.

How is it possible that Bay took an admittedly quite inane 80s cartoon, a humongous budget beyond the belief of anyone involved in the original show, and made it into something even more inane?

#3 Posted by The_Tolman (433 posts) -

My highest expectations for this movie is that it will be complete shit scraped into a camera and played in theaters.

#4 Edited by A_Deep_Mushroom (88 posts) -

I've never really had an attachment to Transformers at any point in time. The trailer looked interesting, but that's the point of them right? I'm sure it will be a somewhat average, high budget action movie. I'll redbox it sometime.

#5 Edited by TruthTellah (9151 posts) -

At this point, sure. Why the heck not?

Little Boy: So, like, what if Optimus Prime was riding Grimlock with like a giant sword and explosions and AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

#6 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

The fuck are you talking about?

#7 Edited by TruthTellah (9151 posts) -
#8 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

@clonedzero said:

You know what? (i just watched the trailer)

I probably wont mind at all. Cus honestly that looks kinda cool as i have no attachments to the transformers.

Honestly it'll probably be the best transformers movie because it seems marky mark replaces shia labouf and he was BY FAR the worst part of the other movies (well aside from those ghetto bots from the 2nd one)

#9 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@clonedzero said:

Why does he need a sword? He has guns and he's riding a gigantic robotic T-Rex. What extra advantage would a sword possibly provide?!

#10 Posted by Turambar (6790 posts) -

I mean, sure, I guess.

#11 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3881 posts) -

I'm pissed! After the first 3 movies that totally did justice to the source material, Bay is finally taking a dump on my childhood! /endsarcasm

Cmon. Seriously. Shia Labeef has been replaced by Marky Mark and now there's robot dinosaurs. If you don't see this as anything but a step up from the previous train wrecks you are beyond help.

#12 Edited by Chemystery (230 posts) -

I think this is heading the exact way it needs to go. It has to be crazy enough that even Michael Bay won't take it seriously.

#13 Posted by Freshbandito (686 posts) -

What a dis on Grimlock.....The guy can beat Prime in a 1 on 1 fight. Gen 1 proved that.

And why does someone who turns into a truck need to ride anything land-based?

I demand they treat the source material of robots in disguise that turn into cars, tape decks and some German gun seriously and with the logic it inherently contains!

That gif is pretty hilarious / awesome looking, I'm only bothered by the fact that the robot dinosaur appears to snort some liquid out of it's nostrils... do robots really need functioning nostrils?

#14 Edited by development (2369 posts) -

I'm confused how you guys can hate on the Transformers movies so much and still like The Avengers movie. They're of the same quality. You just don't want to admit it.

That quality is: bad

One more thing: the very idea that a robot riding a robot dinosaur could be anything other than good is monstrous and cruel and this thread should be locked for it. I know I'm taking a brave stance claiming to like something from the Transformers movies on Giant Bomb, but robots riding robotic dinosaurs are awesome, and you know it.

#15 Edited by DaddyCabinet (204 posts) -

I'm confused how you guys can hate on the Transformers movies so much and still like The Avengers movie. They're of the same quality. You just don't want to admit it.

I agree with all of this statement.

#16 Posted by ch3burashka (5087 posts) -

It fits in well with my fan fic, so yes.

#17 Posted by Flappy (2273 posts) -

You're right. The Avengers needed more Tobey Maguire and Hugh Jackman.

#18 Posted by LiquidPrince (15964 posts) -

The first three Transformers movies are some of my favorite popcorn flicks. You pseudo intellectual hipsters go ahead and shit on Bay all you want, but his movies continue to be some of the biggest grossing movies of all time. Entertaining as hell, and anyone who pretends that they won't watch it will probably watch it anyways.

#19 Edited by TruthTellah (9151 posts) -

That quality is: amazeballs

Yeah...

#20 Posted by benspyda (2035 posts) -

@development said:

Both are non stop special effects movies, sure. But one is written by Joss Whedon, a fantastic script writer, and the other has the worst script writing known to man.

#21 Posted by Reisz (1507 posts) -

I'd much prefer to see Grimlock Surfing on top of Optimus' Semi-Trailer. That would be a movie.

#22 Posted by TruthTellah (9151 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@clonedzero said:

Why does he need a sword? He has guns and he's riding a gigantic robotic T-Rex. What extra advantage would a sword possibly provide?!

Because OPTIMUS PRIME.

#23 Posted by Slag (4450 posts) -

Yeah well it seems appropriate for what Michael Bay has done to the fiction.

I don't care anymore, I've been hurt too many times.

#24 Posted by JoeyRavn (4977 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@clonedzero said:

It's just to give him the edge over Megatron.

I'll see myself out.

#25 Edited by MegaLombax (392 posts) -

After watching the trailer a few times, seemed to me like Michael Bay's interpretation of Swoop is a two headed pterodactyl? Or am I going insane? Anyhow, I'm pretty interested to see where this all leads to. After the 2nd and 3rd movie (loved the 1st one) , it can't possibly get any worse....right?

#26 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2011 posts) -

As a clear authority on this topic, shit seems dumb. In a good way.

#27 Posted by Sergio (2131 posts) -

Considering I haven't been interested in a Transformers movie since the first one, and seeing Grimlock in the trailer has actually made me interested in watching this, I'd say it is a good thing.

#28 Posted by endaround (2146 posts) -

@benspyda said:
@daddycabinet said:

@development said:

Both are non stop special effects movies, sure. But one is written by Joss Whedon, a fantastic script writer, and the other has the worst script writing known to man.

Also one is shot so that you can actually see what action is taking place, where it is taking place, and who is involved. The other is up close shots of terribly designed robots that are indistinguishable and never gives a sense of place so have no way to follow any of the action. But Bay makes the stuff blow up real good!

#29 Posted by TheBluthCompany (389 posts) -

It's scientific fact that mechanical tyrannosaurus rexs make everything 90% better.

#30 Posted by SgtSphynx (1405 posts) -

My initial reaction was of disgust at the thought of another Transformers movie. Then after thinking about the Prime/Grimlock segment of the trailer, I thought sure, why the fuck not? Make this movie as batshit insane as you can.

#31 Posted by hippocrit (241 posts) -

Old school Transformers are stupid. New movie Transformers are stupid. And it's all super fun. Optimus Prime should ABSOLUTELY ride a robot dino.

#32 Edited by DaddyCabinet (204 posts) -

@benspyda said:
@daddycabinet said:

@development said:

All I am saying is that I have never been able to make it through an episode of buffy. The only show of his that I have like is firefly. They are both bad movies and there is no point in arguing which one is less bad.

#33 Posted by TheHT (11364 posts) -

At least I can tell where the dinosaur ends and Optimus Prime begins. The robot designs in these movies have been godawful.

#34 Posted by Hailinel (24966 posts) -

How can I classify it as a good thing when Michael Bay's Transformers movies are nothing but bad? To call it a good thing would be like finding a tiny spec of gold in that pile of Triceratops shit from Jurassic Park.

#35 Posted by Hunter5024 (5702 posts) -

I don't give a fuck about Transformers, but that's the coolest thing I've ever seen. I want to ride a t-rex damn it.

#36 Posted by Barrock (3536 posts) -

Comparing The Avengers to the Transformers films is silly. If you want to say you don't like either film franchise, that works. But one was praised by critics while the other was shit on by critics for a reason.

#37 Posted by Tajasaurus (879 posts) -

@truthtellah: I've only seen the first Transformers movie (hated it) but this looks pretty cool.

I don't think they could let Grimlock be Grimlock in a movie like this,

#38 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3755 posts) -

@benspyda said:
@daddycabinet said:

@development said:

All I am saying is that I have never been able to make it through an episode of buffy. The only show of his that I have like is firefly. They are both bad movies and there is no point in arguing which one is less bad.

Of course there's no point in arguing. Typically, people only argue about things when an actual argument can be made. Here, there's no question.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/transformers - 61

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen - 35

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/transformers-dark-of-the-moon - 42

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-avengers-2012 - 69

Transformers is shit.

#39 Posted by Sammo21 (3297 posts) -

I will be honest...

all the transformers just look like shitty tribal tattoos on some drunk college footballer's forearm to me.

#40 Edited by Fattony12000 (7456 posts) -

#41 Edited by Sanj (2404 posts) -

So, there's no Shia LaBeouf or Megan Fox, Mark Wahlberg is gonna tell Megatron to say hi to his mother for him, Optimus Prime is riding a metal dinosaur and you people are complaining??

I'm still on Giant Bomb, right? The home of tasteful appreciation for all things super-dumb?

#42 Posted by Danteveli (1187 posts) -

The sword should be way bigger and it would be cool.

#43 Edited by RobotHamster (4172 posts) -

@sanj said:

So, there's no Shia LaBeouf or Megan Fox, Mark Wahlberg is gonna tell Megatron to say hi to his mother for him, Optimus Prime is riding a metal dinosaur and you people are complaining??

I'm still on Giant Bomb, right? The home of tasteful appreciation for all things super-dumb?

This is pretty much how I'm looking at it. The first three weren't great but this one has Marky Mark and dinobots?? I'm going into it with an open mind, expecting the dumbest possible shit and I'm hoping to enjoy it. Of course there's a probably chance they'll fuck it up but it has potential.

#44 Posted by development (2369 posts) -

@robothamster: Exactly. Seems balance is being restored in this thread.

#45 Edited by crithon (3307 posts) -

it took them 8 years to make this decision...... I guess it's progress?

On a side note.... am I crazy? or.... do the colors pop more in this trailer? Like these are well established shots? I had an old roomate who worked on a Transformer game and he was telling me how simple it is to make easy shots in that but then somehow the movies get it all wrong. Did they somehow get better? Kinda find that hard to believe 8 years later. perfection.

#46 Posted by Legion_ (1301 posts) -

Alduin, is that you? Looks like he popped through another Elder Scroll.

#47 Edited by TruthTellah (9151 posts) -

Michael Bay: I'm sorry, but imagining a giant robot crushing you to death as orgasmic explosions burst all around you is the only way I can get off anymore!

#48 Edited by crithon (3307 posts) -

Michael Bay: I'm sorry, but imagining a giant robot crushing you to death as orgasmic explosions burst all around you is the only way I can get off anymore!

What would be the safe word? "Casting couch?"

#49 Posted by RazielCuts (2960 posts) -
#50 Posted by TruthTellah (9151 posts) -

@crithon said:

@truthtellah said:

What would be the safe word? "Casting couch?"

It's a Michael Bay set. There is no safe word. o_o