• 67 results
#51 Posted by Korwin (2828 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

@korwin: So you combat intolerance with intolerance? Cool story, bro.

Uh... what? All I've done is expressed amazement at what has been presented and disappointment that Admiral Anderson went along with it willingly.

#52 Posted by HatKing (5817 posts) -

This is probably the most offensive thing I've seen today.

#53 Posted by Abendlaender (2762 posts) -
#54 Edited by jerseyscum (861 posts) -
@dudeglove said:

This is like a Jack Chick tract only worse.

For you godless heathens...I give you "Dark Dungeons".

#55 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

I wonder how many of you would find it offensive if there was a thread by an atheist stating that he did not want to date a religious person.

I'm guessing the number would be small.

#56 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@meowshi said:

I wonder how many of you would find it offensive if there was a thread by an atheist stating that he did not want to date a religious person.

I think that wanting to date someone with whom you share the same faith (or lack thereof) is totally reasonable. The problem with this scene, I think, is that the family is portrayed as being completely justified in ostracizing the guy when he reveals that he's an atheist.

#57 Posted by Korwin (2828 posts) -

@meowshi said:

Hmm possibly, but it would also depend on the context. As far as context goes, this situation is pretty ugly.

#58 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Seemed pretty realistic. Didn't really seem to me that they were trying to paint a picture of the Christians being correct and the atheist being wrong. I thought they left that up to interpretation and gave both sides a fair shot of producing an argument. There was no grand revelation (at least at the end of this clip) showcasing that she is right and that the atheist is wrong, they show the pros and cons of both.

Best of all it got people talking, which was probably the aim of it. It's good when shows spark discussion, even uncomfortable ones.

#59 Posted by TheHT (10880 posts) -

@meowshi said:

if the atheist was being an asshole like the family is here, then yeah, i'd still think it's pretty shitty.

#60 Edited by wjb (1637 posts) -

I BELIEVE IN JUWANNA MANN!

The twist is a black man in a pastel shirt and tie and isn't religious.

@theht said:

holy shit she flicked potatoes onto her arm with her tongue. what the fuck.

Haha. I totally saw that, too! Didn't need another take of that. No time to put in another reaction shot!

#61 Edited by Turambar (6675 posts) -

@funkasaurasrex said:

@meowshi said:

I think that wanting to date someone with whom you share the same faith (or lack thereof) is totally reasonable. The problem with this scene, I think, is that the family is portrayed as being completely justified in ostracizing the guy when he reveals that he's an atheist.

I don't know, talking shit about people with religious beliefs is not exactly uncommon on these forums for the long time I've been here.

Regarding the clip, I think all the discussion around it comes out of the fact that any potential agenda and bias it may have seems fairly hidden during initial viewing. The father is not made to recognize his error, nor is the man depicted as demeaning or disrespectful, two rather easy ways to push the message in one direction or the other. It's rather amazing really.

#62 Posted by RenMcKormack (1072 posts) -

Its like a emotional episode of a sitcom sans laugh track, which is what makes it weirdly uncomfortable. Also that one dude was in Juwanna Mann.

#63 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

Where's the laugh track?

#65 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

As off-putting as this is to a lot of us, the bottom line is that this is very representative of a lot of Christian families, specifically traditional Southern Baptist families.

Maybe being from the south and being surrounded by this sort of thing has made me immune to it, but I didn't necessarily find it all that offensive. I found it to be a pretty accurate representation of the way a lot of people are in this region. It certainly sucks that people are that closed minded and that shows like this continue to promote and perpetuate that mindset, but I don't blame them for marketing a show to a very real audience that does think this way.

I'd certainly like for strongly religious Christians to be more welcoming to people with other religious views, but deep cable isn't really the place to initiate that change.

On a personal level, I can say that I'm lucky enough to know a lot of Christians and Baptists that don't treat me that way. However, in the South overall, this is very much what you expect and it's nothing surprising.

You wanna know what's weirder? Try watching your mother and father...who were never religious in their entire lives and even raised you to be neutral and find your own spirituality...end up becoming converted Baptists. It's the oddest thing in the WORLD, especially when you know that they are two people that have logical and rational reasoning within their minds...and how they are willing to completely throw that away once God comes into the equation. It's been a weird three years.

Also, while that video was weird, it's nowhere NEAR as creepy as this is to me:

I mean, seriously. The kid watches a scary movie, goes to bed, Dad tells him good night, then this happens...

...where two grown-up strangers show up in this kid's room in the middle of the night, asking if he gets scared, and then start telling him that God is always with him, that God loves him, and that he doesn't need to be scared of anything? What's worse is that AFTER this clip, the dad ends up barging in, asks what's going on, the tomato and the cucumber explain who they are and that they were helping his son conquer fear, and the dad is just like "oh, okay, cool, laters."

-______-

SERIOUSLY?! TWO GROWN-UP STRANGERS ARE IN A KID'S ROOM IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT TRYING TO TEACH HIM TO NOT BE SCARED...AND THE DAD IS JUST LIKE "OKAY?" DOES NO ONE ELSE SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT AT ALL?!

#66 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3786 posts) -

It's called acting. Keith David is still a bad mofo an I'll not have you blaspheme him in my presence.

PRAISE HIS NAME!

#67 Posted by TheHT (10880 posts) -

@jakob187: i mean, if you're gonna go creepy, you might as well go creepy as fuck.

#68 Posted by CornBREDX (4805 posts) -

Keith David was Spawn, you guys.

He was also the guy that had to pal around (he was, like, rating them on their work or something, i forget) with Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez in Men at Work

He was in Jacob's Ladder, I believe, as well. Now I'm not sure if he was in Jacob's Ladder. No you know what, he was in Platoon- I got them mixed up.

#69 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

It's like every religion thread on the internet but in reverse.

#70 Edited by Tearhead (2154 posts) -

Hey, guys, I'm a black man who believes in God and would just like to say this crap definately does not speak for all religious black people. If anything, this clip promotes atheism, because why would you want to identify with a bunch of judgemental bigoted assholes?