So, tell me about Casablanca

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

It turns out I'll be moving to Casablanca for a few years to teach high school, and I was wondering if anyone here has experience living in the area. If you ever lived in the city, or even Morocco in general for a long period of time and had anything you felt you had to acclimate to, I'd like to hear it.

It could be large things such as the weather, food, general geography, cultural practices that surprised you, general lack of western style shops as opposed to medinas (or so I'm told). Or it could be smaller things such as internet speeds, weirdly shaped power outlets, lack of Amazon Prime, etc.

Cheers.

mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

Well.. this might help.

I mean step one, always be wearing a white suit..

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Of all the gin joints...

Casablanca is just a solid movie all around. It covers a ton of bases, but in the end, there was a level of acting in that movie that hadn't necessarily been seen in a film before when it released. Beyond that, it was a movie that essentially created the first true mega-superstar celebrities.

Beyond that, it's just good. Watch it a lot. They actually had it at the local theatre for their free Tuesday showings. It's INCREDIBLE on the big screen!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: Wish I could help you. I never been there but I do know that Moroccan food is the fucking boss. They got so many types of salads and meats that you don't know where to start. I have met people from there and they invited me on numerous occasions to family gatherings. Had the time of my life. I'm sure you'll make friends very quickly. My advice is read all you can and learn the language.

@jakob187:They just don't make them like that anymore.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

I only spent a little less than a week there, but overall, I thought Casablanca was an absolute shithole and never want to go back. There are homeless everywhere and they panhandle aggressively, street crime is rampant, there are numerous slums on the outskirts of the city, the sewage system is ancient and it always smells, and on and on. It's not unlike many other major port cities in North Africa.

Good luck, you're in for an adventure. Just keep your wits about you, don't roam around by yourself, stay away from the Algerian border region, and find out where the US Embassy is and know how to get there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Not to go too off topic but my first thought at Casablanca was the classic Woody Allen film Play It Again Sam:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@turambar said:

It turns out I'll be moving to Casablanca for a few years to teach high school, and I was wondering if anyone here has experience living in the area. If you ever lived in the city, or even Morocco in general for a long period of time and had anything you felt you had to acclimate to, I'd like to hear it.

It could be large things such as the weather, food, general geography, cultural practices that surprised you, general lack of western style shops as opposed to medinas (or so I'm told). Or it could be smaller things such as internet speeds, weirdly shaped power outlets, lack of Amazon Prime, etc.

Cheers.

You make it sound like you woke up one day and saw a notice saying "We're sending you to Casablanca to live a life as a high school teacher for a few years" like your in the army and are sent to another base (except an army of teachers). Are you actually a spy and this is a cover?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like quite the adventure. Exciting.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you see Humphrey Bogart owns this bar and-
Oh you mean the actual place? Sorry got nothing.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers