• 145 results
#51 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

@Baillie said:

@CaLe said:

@Baillie said:

@familyphotoshoot: I barely have any, I don't like having them.

Find some you like then. Stop hating everything.

Oh, because I don't subscribe to many channels it means I hate everything? No. I never liked the whole subscription method on YouTube. I liked going on, clicking on browse and seeing the most popular videos. I am very sure I'm not alone in this.

You're not alone. I don't like to subscribe to channels either.

I, however, do not mind the new youtube. Other than the strangeness of everything being aligned with the left side of the screen instead of the middle, it doesn't seem very different. I never actually go to the youtube.com homepage, instead searching for videos I want through google, so any changes that occurred there do not affect me. I'm sure I'll get used to the new layouts on the pages of videos, so really I don't see any reason to dislike the changes.

#52 Posted by HellBound (1085 posts) -

It is terrible. I have all this blank space on the right of my screen. Why is everything not centered? My video is to the left and it is distracting that it is not centered.

#53 Posted by HellBound (1085 posts) -

@Zeik: ADBLOCK

Come on man

#54 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -

It bizarrely reminds me of Facebook. The fuck?

#55 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5227 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

@Demoskinos: Except when the next update comes out. Suddenly, everyone's fine with it, and how could they change it?!

With the Xbox dash it ain't "The immediate previous one was way better than this because this is new!" It's "With each update ads are cluttering up the dash even more, menus are being buried, and everything just gets slower. The old dash might have sucked but those problems weren't as prevalent as they were in the new design. I'd rather they come up with a new one to fix all these issues instead of making things worse."

#56 Posted by HellBound (1085 posts) -

THE BEST YOUTUBE

http://web.archive.org/web/20060107001233/http://www.youtube.com/

#57 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

It just changed for me. I don't know why I got it at a different time.

#58 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@Andorski said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Bocam: Huh....just got this now. The only thing bothering me is all the unused space on the page.

This. On a 1920x1080 res screen the page only takes half of the space, and it's not centered!!!

I... Why did they do this? Just, I'm using it now and... how could web designers have an entire page on the left half?!

#59 Posted by Andorski (5268 posts) -
#60 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Doesn't it always for your kind of ilk?

#61 Posted by Ares42 (2617 posts) -

Just got the new YT... how do they manage to make it harder for me to do the things I want every single time they redo the site ? Also the left-alignment is just awful.

@Baillie said:

I liked going on, clicking on browse and seeing the most popular videos. I am very sure I'm not alone in this.

You are not alone. The hard-on they've had for making it hard to just browse videos is just unfathomable to me.

#62 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

It looks great. Love it.

#63 Posted by Andorski (5268 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

@Andorski said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Bocam: Huh....just got this now. The only thing bothering me is all the unused space on the page.

This. On a 1920x1080 res screen the page only takes half of the space, and it's not centered!!!

I... Why did they do this? Just, I'm using it now and... how could web designers have an entire page on the left half?!

I just noticed that Google Search is designed the same way. It never bothered me though, as I usually don't have my browser maximized and I rarely spent more than a couple of seconds on Google's Search results pages either.

#64 Posted by Pudge (883 posts) -

Why would you want to see the most viewed videos ever? Do you enjoy bad pop music videos and kids on helium screaming?

#65 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

I strongly dislike the fact that everything is on the left on my wide-screen monitor. The right half of the screen is just completely white.

#66 Posted by Andorski (5268 posts) -

@Pudge said:

Why would you want to see the most viewed videos ever? Do you enjoy bad pop music videos and kids on helium screaming?

That's what Youtube is: terrible videos that you watch while wondering to yourself why you are wasting your life watching terrible videos. It's a vicious cycle that fills the weekday void. Why is Google making it harder to waste time?!

#67 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

It's not bad, but its all clumped to the left side of the screen on my monitor. perhaps an issue with 1080p monitors.

#68 Posted by Dalai (7017 posts) -

You'll get used to it. You always do.

#69 Posted by Ares42 (2617 posts) -

@Andorski said:

@Pudge said:

That's what Youtube is: terrible videos that you watch while wondering to yourself why you are wasting your life watching terrible videos. It's a vicious cycle that fills the weekday void. Why is Google making it harder to waste time?!

Exactly.

#70 Posted by SlashDance (1814 posts) -

@S0ndor said:

I strongly dislike the fact that everything is on the left on my wide-screen monitor. The right half of the screen is just completely white.

yep. Someone told me to delete my cookies, and that worked fine for like 10 minutes.

#71 Posted by satansmagichat (187 posts) -

I actually don't care about the change. But I want to say "Thank you!" to the OP because I didn't know that page existed before.

#72 Edited by mlarrabee (2920 posts) -

I like it.

I would like it to save the "Show Uploads Only" setting, since I don't really care what comments my subscriptions leave.

That, and a dark/light setting would be nice since it now looks less of a nice option and more of a glaring omission.

The desktop has been changing itself to look like the web and it's high time that trend was reversed. With the updates, YouTube's use of Chrome-like icons and pale, squared edges is a step in that direction.

EDIT: So, as it turns out, you can force your subscription page to show only your subscriptions' uploads. When you go to YouTube.com, if you look on the left side and click "Manage Subscriptions" you can command whichever subscriptions you want to show only their uploads. That way, whether you're on their upload feed, your main "All Activity" subscriptions page, or your "Uploads Only" subscriptions page, you'll always get just the uploads of your subscriptions.

Still can't weed out the recommendations yet, though...

#73 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'm adjusting well enough. All I really want is some way to default to showing subscriptions only.

#74 Posted by Dethfish (3639 posts) -

I felt like they just changed it recently before this. Am I crazy or do they re-design their site a lot?

#75 Posted by Ares42 (2617 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I'm adjusting well enough. All I really want is some way to default to showing subscriptions only.

Well, that's pretty much the big change.. They merged subs and recommended in their new "what to watch" default category, so they could push channels into a more visible area.

#76 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

It looks terrible....  I hate how the recommended section shows up first.  And I dont like how the suggested channels section is so big.   Theres a reason why I didnt subscribe to those channels

#77 Posted by J12088 (444 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

I like it.

I would like it to save the "Show Uploads Only" setting, since I don't really care what comments my subscriptions leave.

That's bothering the shit out of me. If i want to see JUST my subscriptions i have to click another tab. Otherwise i get a bunch of crap like recommended videos mixed in which makes it harder to see the content I've specificly subscribed to. Really confusing why they'd make it harder to find and watch content I've already flagged by throwing in recommended videos and all sorts of other crap i have no interest in.

#78 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Ares42:

I'd still like to see my subs only.

#79 Posted by Andorski (5268 posts) -

@Dethfish said:

I felt like they just changed it recently before this. Am I crazy or do they re-design their site a lot?

They roll out design changes varying from small aesthetic alterations to complete UI redesign consistently. They also don't roll out these changes for everyone at the same time. My computer at my parents house had the new Youtube video overlay for a month or so. The computer I'm on right now only got this change when their entire site redesign kicked it.

#80 Posted by Ares42 (2617 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Ye, I agree. Just found it sorta funny how you said you were adjusting, yet your one complaint is basically the big thing they changed =)

#81 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -
@MentalDisruption said:

Whats up with all the unused white space on the right side? That's the only things thats bugging me.

This is my issue with it. Everything else I can get used to. We should all be used to all their changes by now. Could the white space on the right have anything to do with being more portrait friendly for tablets and smart phones?
#82 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Ares42:

Well, the layout's been thrown around, so there's that to adjust to.

#83 Posted by Andorski (5268 posts) -

@uniform: Don't think so. going to www.youtube.com on my iPad and iPhone redirects me to their mobile site still. Even if their going to make the main site usable for tablets and smartphones though, you would expect Google to make the site scalable for desktops and high resolution laptops as well.

#84 Posted by SlashDance (1814 posts) -

Oh snap, the new playlist layout is pretty sweet.

#85 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -
@Andorski

Gotcha. I'm just reaching, because I honestly can't fathom why they would make such a hideous change. The larger your screen res., the larger the white space..it's like it's trying to suck me in.
#86 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

People actually browse Youtube? To me, it exists only as a place to be linked to or to look for something specific.

#87 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

It takes away a lot of buttons for things that i remember using I think... I can't remember what they were exactly but yeah...

#88 Posted by Zelyre (1173 posts) -

I don't care about any kind of redesign. They can make it neon green text on a lemon yellow background.

What's grinding my gears, is that recommended videos and shit I don't care about are mixed in with my subscriptions. I've gone and changed youtube so it only shows uploads by people I've subscribed to. Now, instead of seeing subscribed uploads by chronological order upon going to youtube.com, I see that The Real Giant Bomb has uploaded a quick look of Super Mario World posted 20 years ago.

Great. Thanks. I saw that shit already. So, now I have to click on subscriptions to see videos posted in the past few hours. It just doesn't feel stream lined anymore.

#89 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Zeik said:

I just hate the new ad function on videos, where the video starts playing and then a few seconds later an ad overlay pops up that cuts off the video and forces you to start it from the beginning when you close it. It annoys the crap out of me.

Adblock that shit.

#90 Posted by Zeik (2358 posts) -
@Bourbon_Warrior: I can't install adblock on every device I use. 
#91 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Zeik: Should of got a Android device :)

#92 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1323 posts) -

If you live in Canada most online ads don't show up. So there's that.. if you can't install adblock everywhere, just move. Easy.

I like the new layout, but I don't spend a ton of time on youtube (WHY WOULD I...). It still has the exact same layout for subscriptions and all the stuff you 'should' be using youtube for, the only oddity is the large about of wasted space on the right side of the layouts now... most sites are moving towards responsive design... which would imply a design that would expand out to utilise my widescreen display (come on... it's 16:10 so it's not even as wide as most). The new layout doesn't even change at all, it's as static as... it's static.

...static as a geocities page without under construction animated gifs!!!!!!!

eh.

Have to say I like the blended recommendations in the feed though. Only because it's pulling from THIS lol:

#93 Posted by HistoryInRust (6292 posts) -

It is way, way, way too fucking bright.

#94 Posted by Pudge (883 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

@Andorski said:

@Pudge said:

Exactly.

Man really? I use YouTube to follow a handful of accounts that post good stuff and watch old MST3K videos if I'm really desperate to waste time. I wish I had the kind of time where I could watch stuff I hate, I could only imagine what I could do instead of doing that.

#95 Posted by SaFt (382 posts) -

I just wish they didn't switch the recommended videos for recommended channels on the right side of the site, i loved that feature.

#96 Posted by Ares42 (2617 posts) -

@Pudge: We all live different lives =) Also, of the few subscriptions I actually have, almost all of them are because of some deep YT hole I went down at some point and you would never ever find those channels if you were looking for something sensible.

#97 Posted by Evilsbane (4591 posts) -

They fixed the DAMN video player changing resolution and resetting the buffer from just maximizing or minimizing the FUCKING VIDEO! It doesn't do that anymore Wheeee!

#98 Posted by Sursh (243 posts) -

i've noticed that the videos that are extensive will have an ad break every 10 to 15 minutes. wow.

#99 Posted by Chaser324 (6406 posts) -

I feel like the refresh they did last year actually did quite a bit to make the site look a bit more modern and make things like playlists much easier to manage, but now I think they've taken a few steps back on some of that stuff.

This dude's video catches most of the issues with a funny intro:

• Odd alignment of content below the player with the player itself, especially if you're using the large player.
  • Tons of wasted screen real estate. Why not at least center the content if you aren't going to make it a more fluid layout?
  • It doesn't appear that you can edit playlists while watching videos any more. Not sure how many people used that feature, but I did quite frequently.
Moderator Online
#100 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

It is way, way, way too fucking bright.

The free Google Chrome extensions "Turn off the lights" and "High Contrast" do it for me.