#1 Posted by Demoskinos (14770 posts) -

So, I was playing some Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge and afterwards switched back over to my PC to find that AVG had flagged 3 different files all in the folders of Quake, Quake 3 Arena and Quake 3 Team Arena called Sysinfo.exe so that is a file that sounds somewhat suspicious so whatever... I let AVG have its way then I go and validate on steam all three games files and as soon as I did that and steam downloaded the missing files AVG flagged them again.

So, I'm guessing if it flagged the same files exactly after steam acquired them from the steam severs its probably fine right?

#2 Edited by Superfriend (1545 posts) -

I have never ever heard of Steam downloading any virus or any malware.

Unless this is some sort of weird sophisticated virus... well, let´s just say the antivirus is overreacting. As these programs are prone to do.

You could go and double check with a different antivirus app, but I doubt it would help much. Except maybe introduce more virus paranoia.

#3 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2244 posts) -

Download Microsoft Security Essentials, doublecheck to make sure everything is alright, delete AVG because it's always been a POS. (at least in my experience)

#4 Edited by Forcen (1815 posts) -
#5 Edited by Thompson820 (410 posts) -
#6 Edited by audioBusting (1507 posts) -

AVG is somewhat notorious for false positives in video game files, so I won't be surprised if this turns out to be nothing. Like everyone said, you should try scanning with other antivirus softwares (like Microsoft Security Essentials, which is free) just to be sure.

#7 Edited by expensiveham (291 posts) -

AVG will flag stuff for no reason at all. Get MSE instead, only antivirus worth using.

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (14770 posts) -

Yeah, I think this is a false positive for sure now some guy on the Quake 3 forum on steam posted the same exact problem hours before It happened to me. I'll have to try MSE. AVG used to be great but man lately it just keeps getting worse. It always flags Texmod too whenever I try to use it to mod Texture files in games for whatever reason.

#9 Edited by fisk0 (4033 posts) -

Yeah, probably false positives. The way game files work, especially older games, they access the hardware, network and file system in ways that would probably seem suspicious to anti-virus software that try to determine if a program is malicious by it's behaviour even if doesn't seem to be listed among known viruses. AVG probably has a page somewhere where you can submit the files as false positives so they can avoid it happening again.

It's not so much "the anti-virus program getting worse" as new viruses keep appearing in higher numbers every moment, so AV software needs to be able to flag software as suspicious even when it isn't listed in the virus definition files.

#10 Edited by Nictel (2412 posts) -
#11 Edited by AziMuttyo (82 posts) -

I used to love AVG, but lately it became a piece of shit that overreacts at everything and randomly isolates files that fuck up entire programs. I recomend you use something else.

#12 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@nictel said:

@thompson820 said:

@oscar__explosion: Let the anti-virus wars begin.

AVAST! :P

AVAST! is definitely the way to go. AVG use to be great but it started bogging down my system like crazy.

#13 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Is John Avegee still at large?

#14 Edited by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Hmm, I must be the only person that uses Malwarebytes. Whatever, it works well for me.

As for OP, if the files are coming straight from Steam I would say that you are probably just fine. I haven't ever heard of someone getting infected files from Steam.

#15 Edited by Pr1mus (3873 posts) -

I usually add the Steam folder to exclusions lists in any antivirus i've used. I have had periodic problems with both AVG and Avast flagging some game files and killing processes when booting some games. Last time it happened was with Max Payne 1 and 2. I've never had any viruses downloaded through Steam.

#16 Posted by gaminghooligan (1436 posts) -

Is John Avegee still at large?

yeah he keeps updating his blog and doing bath salts though

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (14770 posts) -

Hmm, I must be the only person that uses Malwarebytes. Whatever, it works well for me.

As for OP, if the files are coming straight from Steam I would say that you are probably just fine. I haven't ever heard of someone getting infected files from Steam.

I use Malwarebytes, Spybot and AVG along with a Ad Blocker and No Script plugins for Chrome.

#18 Edited by kmg90 (420 posts) -

Get rid of AVG. It is bloated, inefficient and causes issues with games (and steam)

2450+ results for your issue

Go with Microsoft Security Essentials...

The bomb crew even uses it (as said on this week bombcast regarding Patrick's new PC and what security software to use)

#19 Posted by Dagbiker (6972 posts) -

Wait, What if Steam is spyware?