So, want to Pathfind?

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Vein

The Pathfinder GB stream just ended and I think most people really got a kick out of it. I sent the GB dudes the beginner box because I suspected they'd really dig the game and I wanted to share my love of tabletop RPGs with the giantbomb duders.

I saw people in chat asking about where they could learn more. http://paizo.com/paizo is the official website of the company that makes the Pathfinder RPG. There they have forums for new people, as well as a store where you can buy all sorts of their RPG rulebooks, or even just PDFs of the books for much cheaper.

If you're just interested in checking out the rules, Paizo puts all their rules out for free at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/, that's a wiki with all the information you'd need to play a game of Pathfinder.

And speaking of playing Pathfinder, I think I could work out some online games for duders to play. http://www.rptools.net/?page=maptool Is a site that has the MapTool on it, a fairly simple program for running tabletop RPGs via internet, or we could start some play by post games here. If you're interested in delving into the world of Pathfinder let me know, I'd be glad to help anyone get started.

Also, V-Bomb for life.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Pathfinder is pretty awesome. I've been in a campaign for years now that started off as a D&D 3.5 that we migrated into Pathfinder, and it really is a fun game. It's pretty much D&D for anyone dissatisfied with the direction that D&D 4th Edition took.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TruthTellah
@the_vein said:

I sent the GB dudes the beginner box because I suspected they'd really dig the game and I wanted to share my love of tabletop RPGs with the giantbomb duders.

*hug*

http://img.pandawhale.com/65979-Friends-hug-gif-sRJ4.gif

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By crusader8463

I'm set thanks. I already got a 3.5 game on Thursdays, I'm DMing a 4E game on Sundays, and a Battlestar Galactica RPG game on Tuesdays. If anyone is looking for games though check out the roll20.net LFG forums. Always people looking to play. Not to mention roll20 is an amazing site to do this stuff online.

If anyone is looking for some more good D&D videos I suggest the official D&D streams they do some Fridays and Rollplay. They are good watching.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I'm set thanks. I already got a 3.5 game on Thursdays, I'm DMing a 4E game on Sundays, and a Battlestar Galactica RPG game on Tuesdays. If anyone is looking for games though check out the roll20.net LFG forums. Always people looking to play. Not to mention roll20 is an amazing site to do this stuff online.

Oh wow, that roll20 site seems like the ideal way to do this stuff online.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7 FinalDasa  Online

The DnD board game Rorie mentioned has other versions, same idea but different quests, and are great for beginners.

They take less time to set up, come with premade characters, everyone can feel useful, and aren't too easy either.

Genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to be part of an internet game.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@theht said:

@crusader8463 said:

Oh wow, that roll20 site seems like the ideal way to do this stuff online.

It really is amazing. You can upload your own art, keep track of hp right on screen, built in dice roll/chat log, a collection of audio to play in game, and built in voice/video chat for those that want it. If it's not the best it's damn near the best. I don't know how you can get much better.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By flasaltine

I have always wanted to play but never knew anybody that did.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@the_vein said:

I sent the GB dudes the beginner box because I suspected they'd really dig the game and I wanted to share my love of tabletop RPGs with the giantbomb duders.

*hug*

NEVER TRUST A HUG.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've never played Pathfinder. I have a current game I built myself out of the guts of 4th Ed D&D and WoD.... which I'm mistreating and not giving enough of my attention as it is.... so I can't roll with you gents. I'll read your synopsis if you post em though.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, you've convinced me. I will play your silly "game."

To be honest, I haven't played D&D for years, and watching the stream was like pumping a syringe full of nostalgia straight into my veins. I miss it! Let's have some fun!

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to check out this roll20.net thing and see how it works. If anyone's really interested in Pathfinder send me a PM over the next few days and we'll see if we can get something going maybe next week or the week after.

Avatar image for sometimesavowel
sometimesavowel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sometimesavowel

I'm in a Pathfinder group that meets every 2 weeks (and by that I mean whenever our DM fucking feels like it) and I'm a Level 3 human cleric with middling effectiveness who somehow ended up a ship captain...oh yeah because I had highest charisma. Technicalities whoooooo!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I'd be genuinely interested in starting a Pathfinder group in meat space, but unfortunately the only people I know who would be interested in such a thing aren't exactly the most... socially capable individuals.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One guy is already interested, two more and we'd have a party going. The roll20 website seems great for this sort of thing, so if you're interested and don't have any real tabletop RPG experience jump on in, it'll be a blast!

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Yeah, I'm in. I'm about to leave for a week in London, so if I go quiet it's not a lack of follow through or interest, it's being locked in business travel hell until next Saturday.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By zeforgotten

No, no I don't.
Last time I did that I lost a lot of time I could be spending on other things!
You can't rope me back into this! YOU CAN'T DO IT! I WON'T LET YOU!

'calls up the old crew'

Goddammit!

Also, title of the thread.
I ask that very same question to my troops in any Total War game ever.

EgoPoisoning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By EgoPoisoning

So this'd be a real-time online game--as opposed to doing an asynchronous message-board-type-deal? My gaming group has transitioned to the Dresden Files urban fantasy system at present (and at some point I pass the DM reins on to a player who's going to launch a superhero campaign) so I haven't cleaved anything in twain in a long-ass time. I'd be interested in playing (I haven't had the chance to play a character in DnD in even longer than it's been since I DM'd last), and if we have some folks new to PFRPG I could happily lend a hand from a tutoring perspective as well. So I'm definitely interested in seeing where this goes!

The organized play Pathfinder has does a great job of providing small-portion adventures, and I'm always impressed that they build in backstory for characters too. A bit of rules overhead but nice to have a party that can carry through a wide variety of high adventures.

User_Undefined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not? I'd be down for some Pathfinder. Was part of a group last Spring, but we stopped when school let out. It was interesting playing a Soulknife in a world that had no idea what psionics were.

Since then, I got drafted into being a GM for my brother and his friends because I was the only person any of them knew that had ever played a tabletop game. Going from player to GM is a whole different game.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I've kind of always been interested in Tabletop RPGs, but I live in a town so small we don't even have a store for games, much less tabletop games. As much as I've wanted to get involved with that sort of thing, I'm not one for webcams or mics or things like that, and it just seems like it'd be hard to get into with a purely typing-based mode of communication.

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Pathfinder for a few months and the group dissolved. One member and myself have been canvassing the area looking for party members with no luck.

If someone is willing to let me join I'll play an online version.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I wouldn't play online. Can't get into those sadly.

But if some people living in montreal wanna try in real life... I MIGHT be interested.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got three people interested in some virtual tabletop so far, I imagine we'd have room for 1-3 more people before the group got too unwieldy. If you're interested shoot me a message, whether you're an old pro or a total and complete newbie, I don't mind. I've got years of experience in tabletop so I can answer most, if not all questions, a new player would have and I can argue about spiked chain trip attack of opportunity builds with old pros at the same time!

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egopoisoning: Yeah, I'll be using this site to run the game, seems fairly simple, easy to use, and free. Plus built in chat/video so we can all look awkwardly at one another as we ravish elven maids.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By fattony12000

I want to D and D.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been looking for a D & D group for years...it's tough to find someone willing to hold my hand and act as DM

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shoot me a message and I'll bring you into the fold.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_vein: I'm down to try an online game, my current gaming group is getting a little too harsh for my tastes.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Vein

@brians: Cool, send me a message and I'll send you the stuff I've sent to the other dudes for getting started.

If anyone else is interested, please send me a message, I'd rather keep any groups to no more than 5 people--once you get higher than that its hard to get people together and the combat round gets really long. If enough people are interested I'll try running two games, but otherwise it'll have to be first come first served.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sinusoidal

I'd be genuinely interested in starting a Pathfinder group in meat space, but unfortunately the only people I know who would be interested in such a thing aren't exactly the most... socially capable individuals.

Those are the best people to play with!

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@the_vein: That's quite an undertaking, in my opinion. I tried DM'ing online games a few times and it never ended well. I also have not been happy with the options with any of the online tools for campaigns or DMs.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Never could get enough people to play one of these types of games. And I'm afraid I would be that person who only wants to create character, play for a few hours then re spec or create a whole new character.

Philedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, thank you for sending them that box, it produced some great content!

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Watching the video right now and it's very entertaining, so thanks for sending them that stuff!

I'm tempted to try Pathfinder out. The Core Rulebook isn't all that expensive and if I understand correctly that and a Bestiary is all you need to play? Also, if I already have the old D&D 3E books from 2000-ish is Pathfinder still worth getting?

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kovie
@make_me_mad said:

I've kind of always been interested in Tabletop RPGs, but I live in a town so small we don't even have a store for games, much less tabletop games. As much as I've wanted to get involved with that sort of thing, I'm not one for webcams or mics or things like that, and it just seems like it'd be hard to get into with a purely typing-based mode of communication.

The line for the less socially indulgent Pathfinder group starts here. (Or probably not.)

But even ignoring that, as much as I'd like to give this style of game a shot I'm a bit concerned by the sheer amount of variables in the group's knowledge and level of serious-taking. I think I'd rather have a bunch of idiots fumble around and fail horribly than a group of people who's expectations and overall dynamic don't work out. But I also don't know how things will play out with the current group.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I've always wanted to play but I dont know anyone who does. I've watched tons of people play online or in game/comic book stores.

I'd be interested in playing in an online game. I used to watch a D&D show that used rptools so i am vaguely aware of its existence already.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'd love to be part of an internet game.

same!

I am pretty new to the whole tabletop RPG thing but me and a few of my friends started a 4E campaign a few months ago and it is awesome. It would be cool to find a not-so-serious group. Goofy characters, goofy situations.

Last session we:

- froze a mans penis and then shattered it to gain information

- attended a donkey show looking for quests

Falx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Falx

@yothatlimp: Sounds awesome, if anyone has anything as crazy as this going on, id like to play. I'm very new though.