So What Do I Think of Red Faction Guerilla and Mirror's Edge?!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

HOWDY GUYS!!!  Been a while, but I've been a busy dood.  Either way, I've been catching up with a few things here and there, and here's what I got for ya:

Let's start with Red Faction: Guerilla!  I haven't played the full game, but they had a sweet demo station setup at the Music as a Weapon tour when I went.  Aside from the free t-shirt, keychains, and freeze dried ice cream (neopolitan nonetheless), they had the demo running loud as shit on some 50" LCD screens.  From what I played, there is EVERY reason for people to be psyched about it.  What's the story?  Fuck, I don't know.  I skipped past that shit and wanted to start blowin' shit up!  All I know is that I'm a dood...on Mars I'm guessing...with a big fucking mining hammer...and some explosives...and a gun.  There you go, what more needs to be said?  What impressed me about this demo:
  • The massive level of destructive capabilities - when you place some explosives on buildings, you see parts flying everywhere and buildings crumble at your feet...it absolutely makes you feel like a thorough bonafide badass...and to top it off, the physics engine running all this is fucking A-M-A-Z-I-N-G
  • The controls - the sensitivity was JUST right...not too fast, not too slow...and the aiming reticle is surprisingly nice as well...it's not really a crosshair, but more like a hexagon of awesome...as far as selecting my weapons, that took a while to figure out as it wasn't explained well...apparently, you have to hit the RB button, and while holding it, press the face button for the weapon you need...this unfortunately took me out of the action a little bit, and the only gun I got to play with was a basic machine gun
  • The camera view - I never had troubles with the camera...it was super responsive and stayed where I wanted it at all times, and the new third person viewpoint for the franchise is an absolute joy
  • The AI - for the most part, these guys were running away from my explosives, ducking behind cover, and generally being the opposite of retarded...but there were still a couple of points where I was like "really, you're just going to stand right there while I'm blasting you full of lead?"  I was told that it was on a moderate difficulty by the rep at the booth, and that when the game launches, the higher difficulty settings will be more dynamic

Also, Jeff...I mentioned that viral marketing campaign thingie you wrote an article about...and this dood didn't know shit about it.  He said it sounded shitty and that the game should pretty much be able to speak for itself.  = D

And it does...this is definitely a must-buy title based on the demo alone...if not solely because the destruction is limitless.

Aside from playing that sweet ass demo and chompin' down on astronaut food in the process, we finally got Mirror's Edge over at my apartment.  I know, I know...it's a bit late, but like Too Human, there were just too many games and not enough time.  So what do I think of Mirror's Edge?

Cool concept executed poorly.  There were plenty of times I missed "the flow"...and that was solely because I just couldn't find where I needed to go half the time.  From what my friend was saying, I'm about halfway through the game already...and I don't have that much time clocked in on it.  =  (   The cutscenes choke pretty hard, but I can see how the art style of those mix in with the graphics of the actual gameplay...which is kind of cool...right?  I'm going to play through the game to the end, then I'm gonna play through it one more time...but to be honest, I'm not just too impressed with it.  Too many button presses for so little of an effect.  Maybe if I could do cartwheels or something...

So that does it for today.  Check back sometime next week, as I'm sure I'll be picking up some other random shit to talk about.  = D
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

HOWDY GUYS!!!  Been a while, but I've been a busy dood.  Either way, I've been catching up with a few things here and there, and here's what I got for ya:

Let's start with Red Faction: Guerilla!  I haven't played the full game, but they had a sweet demo station setup at the Music as a Weapon tour when I went.  Aside from the free t-shirt, keychains, and freeze dried ice cream (neopolitan nonetheless), they had the demo running loud as shit on some 50" LCD screens.  From what I played, there is EVERY reason for people to be psyched about it.  What's the story?  Fuck, I don't know.  I skipped past that shit and wanted to start blowin' shit up!  All I know is that I'm a dood...on Mars I'm guessing...with a big fucking mining hammer...and some explosives...and a gun.  There you go, what more needs to be said?  What impressed me about this demo:
  • The massive level of destructive capabilities - when you place some explosives on buildings, you see parts flying everywhere and buildings crumble at your feet...it absolutely makes you feel like a thorough bonafide badass...and to top it off, the physics engine running all this is fucking A-M-A-Z-I-N-G
  • The controls - the sensitivity was JUST right...not too fast, not too slow...and the aiming reticle is surprisingly nice as well...it's not really a crosshair, but more like a hexagon of awesome...as far as selecting my weapons, that took a while to figure out as it wasn't explained well...apparently, you have to hit the RB button, and while holding it, press the face button for the weapon you need...this unfortunately took me out of the action a little bit, and the only gun I got to play with was a basic machine gun
  • The camera view - I never had troubles with the camera...it was super responsive and stayed where I wanted it at all times, and the new third person viewpoint for the franchise is an absolute joy
  • The AI - for the most part, these guys were running away from my explosives, ducking behind cover, and generally being the opposite of retarded...but there were still a couple of points where I was like "really, you're just going to stand right there while I'm blasting you full of lead?"  I was told that it was on a moderate difficulty by the rep at the booth, and that when the game launches, the higher difficulty settings will be more dynamic

Also, Jeff...I mentioned that viral marketing campaign thingie you wrote an article about...and this dood didn't know shit about it.  He said it sounded shitty and that the game should pretty much be able to speak for itself.  = D

And it does...this is definitely a must-buy title based on the demo alone...if not solely because the destruction is limitless.

Aside from playing that sweet ass demo and chompin' down on astronaut food in the process, we finally got Mirror's Edge over at my apartment.  I know, I know...it's a bit late, but like Too Human, there were just too many games and not enough time.  So what do I think of Mirror's Edge?

Cool concept executed poorly.  There were plenty of times I missed "the flow"...and that was solely because I just couldn't find where I needed to go half the time.  From what my friend was saying, I'm about halfway through the game already...and I don't have that much time clocked in on it.  =  (   The cutscenes choke pretty hard, but I can see how the art style of those mix in with the graphics of the actual gameplay...which is kind of cool...right?  I'm going to play through the game to the end, then I'm gonna play through it one more time...but to be honest, I'm not just too impressed with it.  Too many button presses for so little of an effect.  Maybe if I could do cartwheels or something...

So that does it for today.  Check back sometime next week, as I'm sure I'll be picking up some other random shit to talk about.  = D
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Dude... neopolitan is my favorite.

Oh, and the hammer sounds real fun. I thought that smashing dudes with Halo's Gravity Hammer  was satisfying, but this sounds even more so. Can't wait to... well probably game-fly it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jakob187
TooWalrus said:
"Dude... neopolitan is my favorite.Oh, and the hammer sounds real fun. I thought that smashing dudes with Halo's Gravity Hammer  was satisfying, but this sounds even more so. Can't wait to... well probably game-fly it."
Well, I don't believe the game is coming out until, like, June, so you got some time.  The hammer itself....dood, seriously, with as many bullets as I had flying at me (and your character is about as paper-thin as Faith in Mirror's Edge, hence why I'm writing about the two in the same article)...you will probably NEVER use the hammer unless they are allowing an upgrade system in the game.  If there aren't any enemies around and you can go hog-wild on a building, then sure...that'd be awesome.  I just don't see it happening, because doods seem to be pretty pissed off and coming out of the woodworks for you.

The level I played on was called Industrial something-or-other.  I couldn't focus on that detailed bullshit because I was too busy jumping a big ass car off a ramp into a building and smashing through the walls to run over about five different guys while watching the building collapse all around me and lead to my inevitable demise.  It was pretty fucking fun!
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By toowalrus
jakob187 said:
"TooWalrus said:
"Dude... neopolitan is my favorite.Oh, and the hammer sounds real fun. I thought that smashing dudes with Halo's Gravity Hammer  was satisfying, but this sounds even more so. Can't wait to... well probably game-fly it."
you will probably NEVER use the hammer unless they are allowing an upgrade system in the game.  If there aren't any enemies around and you can go hog-wild on a building, then sure...that'd be awesome.  I just don't see it happening, because doods seem to be pretty pissed off and coming out of the woodworks for you.
The first Tools of Destruction video made the hammer look pretty cool, both in single and multiplayer. Though you can't really know what to expect until you actually play the game. In the video, it looked like you'd be running stupid fast and bashing dudes. The breaking through cover looked pretty cool, too. We'll wait and see.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Jayge_

I can't wait for the SP demo of Red Faction to come out. The multiplayer beta was a fucking blast. They just need to improve the level designs a bit (and do away with some HUD clutter) and it'll be great.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TwoOneFive

Yeah Red Faction is going to take a big shit on Mercenaries 2's destructibility no doubt. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
Jayge said:
"I can't wait for the SP demo of Red Faction to come out. The multiplayer beta was a fucking blast. They just need to improve the level designs a bit (and do away with some HUD clutter) and it'll be great."
Funny, I don't really remember much of a HUD when I played the demo.  What weapons I wanted to switch to didn't pop up until I hit the RB button.  Other than that, I seriously don't remember any type of HUD whatsoever.  =  /

TwoOneFive said:
"Yeah Red Faction is going to take a big shit on Mercenaries 2's destructibility no doubt. "
I think the two games are going for something completely different in terms of destruction.  Red Faction: Guerilla's destruction felt like there was more of a purpose.  Got a whole shitload of enemies around and you don't have that many bullets?  Sneak over to a building, plant a charge, and blow out the bottom corner to make the building topple onto them.

I would suggest people start looking up some basic architecture, though...
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Jayge_
jakob187 said:
"Jayge said:
"I can't wait for the SP demo of Red Faction to come out. The multiplayer beta was a fucking blast. They just need to improve the level designs a bit (and do away with some HUD clutter) and it'll be great."
Funny, I don't really remember much of a HUD when I played the demo.  What weapons I wanted to switch to didn't pop up until I hit the RB button.  Other than that, I seriously don't remember any type of HUD whatsoever.  =  /

TwoOneFive said:
"Yeah Red Faction is going to take a big shit on Mercenaries 2's destructibility no doubt. "
I think the two games are going for something completely different in terms of destruction.  Red Faction: Guerilla's destruction felt like there was more of a purpose.  Got a whole shitload of enemies around and you don't have that many bullets?  Sneak over to a building, plant a charge, and blow out the bottom corner to make the building topple onto them.

I would suggest people start looking up some basic architecture, though...
"
The MP beta had a really heavy-duty HUD. Teammate indicators, damage indicators, score indicators, time indicators, ammo and weapon indicators, etc. On a non-widescreen TV, it got ridiculously claustrophobic. Even with widescreen it was a little overdone. The HUD as it was could have displayed all of the information that was necessary in a much more compact fashion, but the designers went all graphical up in that shit and applied this gritty, yellow/orange/black background to a lot of it. It was an issue.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakob187
Jayge said:
"The MP beta had a really heavy-duty HUD. Teammate indicators, damage indicators, score indicators, time indicators, ammo and weapon indicators, etc. On a non-widescreen TV, it got ridiculously claustrophobic. Even with widescreen it was a little overdone. The HUD as it was could have displayed all of the information that was necessary in a much more compact fashion, but the designers went all graphical up in that shit and applied this gritty, yellow/orange/black background to a lot of it. It was an issue."
Huh...weird.  Well, if there was a HUD on the SP demo I played, I really didn't notice it at all.  Nothing really seemed intrusive at all.  Then again, I haven't played the MP beta at all...so it's kind of nice to have that other side coming out in this thread.  Thanks for the input, Jayge.  = D
REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By REDRUN

Thanks jakob187 for the heads up on this game. Its a pre-order here.....

STOP!!!...

Who needs PJ's with pant like these.
Who needs PJ's with pant like these.

HAMMER TIME...... Oh-oh oh-oh oh-OH!!!  (shuffle off in the distance)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187

May we resume with our previously scheduled thread discussion...
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond

I thought the Red Faction MP demo was absolutely horrible.  Will try the SP demo for sure though.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By pause422

I think RF Guerilla is gonna be a pretty fun game, I played the beta and enjoyed it enough. Mirrors Edge I felt was a huge disappointment.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
pause422 said:
"I think RF Guerilla is gonna be a pretty fun game, I played the beta and enjoyed it enough. Mirrors Edge I felt was a huge disappointment."
It's not so much a disappointment, but rather it's unnecessary frustration.  Funny thing is that I have NO complaints about the camera.  The camera wasn't the problem for me.  The problem was that the city was basically the same color and it was like pulling teeth trying to figure out where exactly to go.  When I did figure it all out, it took seven years to get her to recognize "yes, there IS a fucking ledge there, and you AREN'T a quadropalegic, so you CAN grab it....just do it already dammit!!!".  I would actually be overshooting my jumps a couple of times to make SURE I'd grab the edge, and she still wouldn't fucking do it!!!  This whole thing about "flow" works only when I know where I'm going and what I'm doing, and man, seriously...Ryan was absolutely right.  When you get those moments where you just string together about a 2 or 3 minute long flow of events, it's fucking awesome.  It's like running away from agents in The Matrix...truly exhilarating.  However, whenever that flow gets broken and you have to figure out where the fuck you need to go and how you need to do things and how you need to go about executing it...

I'm not saying I want the game to be easy, mind you.  I am, however, saying that if you are going to make things difficult...at least make the reward worth it.  In Prince of Persia, when you finally got to that one point that was giving you an issue...or like in Crackdown, when you FINALLY get to the top of the Agency tower (which took me 4 hours my first time and now I've got it down to about 20 minutes)...the end of it all was totally worth it.

Maybe if they put a little more combat in there...I mean, I'm just a fucking messenger!!!  WHO WANTS TO BE A FUCKING MESSENGER?  I get the whole theme of Faith being more pure than that in the Orbital "Halcyon & On & On" way that particular song makes you feel (and I kept expecting it to pop up and start playing plenty of times...why it didn't, I don't know).  However, I would've loved to see some more hand-to-hand combat in order to keep the adrenaline going.  That way, when you ARE at those parts where you are stuck, you've at least got something to keep your adrenaline up.  I know that Faith is pretty paper thin, but I didn't really have any issues with doods holding guns.  I could usually disarm them pretty quick, but that was it!  It's like  "hey, dood...I just disarmed you, now lay down and pretend you are knocked out from my super skinny vegan legs kicking you in the stomach".  FUCK THAT!  Let me beat a dood up with a wicked combo system or something.  Give me some depth outside of "check it out, I just jumped a super long way down".

I think that DICE has got the blueprints for a truly AMAZING game somewhere in Mirror's Edge...but I just don't think that they realize where it's at and how to fix it.  =  /
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

It seems the world would agree with your opinion on Mirror's Edge. Still, it's good to see EA going for new IP's.