• 116 results
#1 Posted by Demoskinos (14563 posts) -

And no... I'm not talking about this Kitty Pryde. I'm talking about the rapper. I'm utterly convinced she is one of the best things in the underground rap scene right now. Now I know that a lot of people like to instantly knock acts that get famous via the interwebs as the Flavor of the Week and honestly I can understand that skeptisim. Kreyshawn for all her hype failed to deliver on her album and even though I think a good majority of her music is trashy fun I can see why people don't give a shit about her music.

Kitty Pryde though, her lyrical flow is absolutely insane. Her lyrics are rhymes are actually pretty dense and actually for the large part pretty clever. Her newest single "Dead Island" (and yes she does refference THAT Dead Island) is her best work yet. So I'm wondering what y'all think of her? I think she has a legitimate chance of actually making it if she gets the right push behind her I think she really does have the talent unlike so many other internet flashes in the pan. If you have two minutes give this a listen cause at least for me I can't quit listening to it. Fucking awesome.

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3511 posts) -

2:12 of waiting for a song to start...

#3 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -

Sounds like another pitch to the listener to how great they are. Just like every other shitty recent rap song. (sorry Eazy E)

#4 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

it's nowhere near as good as who do you voodoo bitch

#5 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Only Lil Debbie is real <3 <3 <3

#6 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Hipster rap bullshit, i'm sure she will have a huge following of people who think its cool to like her regardless of whether they like her or not. Annoying flow, shitty beats, shitty hook, shitty song.

#7 Posted by homewrecker (193 posts) -

She's obnoxious and not actually that clever

#8 Posted by Xolare (1274 posts) -

The song never even started. Didn't feel like it ended either.

#9 Posted by AlexW00d (6186 posts) -

Pretty crap to be perfectly honest.

#10 Posted by Genkkaku (732 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

#11 Posted by Demoskinos (14563 posts) -

Y'all are nuts!

#12 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

HA

#13 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2119 posts) -

Her lyrics are only technically lyrics, her flow is terrible, and her beats are even worse.

#14 Posted by Thoseposers (781 posts) -

Is this what happens when all those girls with horrible music videos like rebecca black hit their twenties?

#15 Posted by Draugen (628 posts) -

There's only one Kitty Pryde...

#16 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

@Genkkaku said:

@Kidavenger said:

#17 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@Thoseposers said:

Is this what happens when all those girls with horrible music videos like rebecca black hit their twenties?

that music video owns.

ITS SO DUMB IT'S AMAZING

#18 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

dear lord that loop of "ah me" is driving me nuts. also

@NegativeCero said:

@Genkkaku said:

@Kidavenger said:

#19 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

I really thought this was going to be a thread about the X-Men. I am disappoint.

#20 Edited by The_Ruiner (1016 posts) -

so disappointed...

...this is considered rap now?

#21 Posted by Marcsman (3120 posts) -

@Draugen said:

I concur

#22 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Marcsman said:

@Draugen said:

I concur

Hell yes.

#23 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2119 posts) -

Because I hate myself I just spent the last 10 minutes listening to some other songs. HOLY FUCK.

This whiny-monotone-white-girl "rapper" trend that has infested rap is the worst thing to heppen to rap ever.

#24 Posted by mellotronrules (1172 posts) -

she's very talented, but also entirely a product of tumblr. and yes, i do mean that as a pejorative.

she's alright, but seems destined for inconsequence.

#25 Posted by CornBREDX (4815 posts) -

I don't want to come off mean spirited, but this sounds like garbage. 
I cant pay full attention as I'm at work so maybe I'll give it a second chance later. I'm old and jaded, though, so no promises I wont hate it.  
I'm open minded, though, and willing to give it another chance, although off the cuff it sounds really bad. 

Also this, honestly, comes to my head: 
@The_Ruiner said:

so disappointed...

...this is considered rap now?

#26 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

That track is awful. Utter shit.

Just like all rap, but this is on a lower rung i think. I don't like rap, but i really can't consider this shit rap.

#27 Posted by Dawglet (312 posts) -

dumb

i like it

#28 Posted by Daveyo520 (6652 posts) -

You deceived me with your title! The X-Men suck. There I said it anyway. Carry on.

#29 Posted by StarvingGamer (8016 posts) -

Sure, maybe if she did that fast talking over something worth listening to it might be ok. But based off of that track alone? No thank you sir.

@Jrinswand said:

I really thought this was going to be a thread about the X-Men. I am disappoint.
#30 Posted by Milkman (16531 posts) -

She makes kind of fun music for now but her fame isn't sustainable and I think she knows that, which is a lot of the appeal. She's genuine enough to amass a YouTube following and people like her because she's a normal teenage girl but she's not creative enough to keep it. A few years from now her name will be as recognizable as Tay Zonday. Just another product of the internet's ADHD.

But for now, sure, she has some cool songs.

#31 Edited by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Not much.

@Manhattan_Project said:

This whiny-monotone-white-girl "rapper" trend that has infested rap is the worst thing to heppen to rap ever.

@mellotronrules said:

she's very talented, but also entirely a product of tumblr. and yes, i do mean that as a pejorative.

she's alright, but seems destined for inconsequence.

These.

EDIT: @Milkman said:

She makes kind of fun music for now but her fame isn't sustainable and I think she knows that, which is a lot of the appeal. She's genuine enough to amass a YouTube following and people like her because she's a normal teenage girl but she's not creative enough to keep it. A few years from now her name will be as recognizable as Tay Zonday. Just another product of the internet's ADHD.

And this one.

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (14563 posts) -

@Manhattan_Project said:

Because I hate myself I just spent the last 10 minutes listening to some other songs. HOLY FUCK.

Yes because all rap needs to be black dudes telling us how many bitches they've fucked. If anything I like it simply because it is such a contrast from the normal scene. Although does bring up a good point she is actually smart and knows she won't last forever doing it.

#33 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

It's like someone dumped an etsy page on a garage band track.

#34 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

The X-Man is probably a better rapper.

#35 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

@Milkman said:

But for now, sure, she has some cool songs.

Is it bad that I still know who Tay Zonday is?

#36 Posted by forkboy (1116 posts) -

Maybe it's just the contrast of just finishing watching a video of a 40 minute long Mr Bungle live set, one of my favourite bands, but boy was that Kitty Pryde track you posted terrible.

And no, hip-hop's most tedious trend 5 years ago was guys rapping about all their "bitches & hos". It's still really boring & unimaginative, but that doesn't excuse the swing to hipster chick rap which is awful in its own way. There's plenty of fantastically interesting stuff happening out there in hip-hop without needing to fall into either of those 2 clichés.

Although I will grant you that the whole hipster chick rap thing seems directed at more party tunes & I tend to listen to & prefer music that isn't quite so throwaway & disposable. Just personal taste.

#37 Posted by rentfn (1277 posts) -

Pro - I learned about a new musical act to check out. Con - I really like Kitty Pryde and wanted to talk about her.

#38 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1734 posts) -

Does nothing for me. To me, Kendrick Lamar is really what's interesting in hip-hop.

#39 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

Now I'm just imagining some horribly misguided reboot/parody where Kitty Pryde gets sucked into being an Internet famous mutant, leaves Xavier Academy and starts a musical career, netting millions of views...

... until it's revealed that the internet IS a mutant, ala the Danger Room/ whatserface from Ender's Game, and is attempting to use Kitty as a host body. The horrible, nonsensical lyrics to her songs are actually the Interweb Beast trying to adapt itself to the neural patterns of her brain.

#40 Posted by JacDG (2114 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Manhattan_Project said:

Yes because all rap needs to be black dudes telling us how many bitches they've fucked. If anything I like it simply because it is such a contrast from the normal scene. Although does bring up a good point she is actually smart and knows she won't last forever doing it.

Yes, that is obviously all rap is, what gets radio spin is not the "normal scene". I put this chick in the same category as RiFF RaFF, Lil B, Kreayshawn and so on, I guess I can understand why people find them entertaining, but... yeah, I won't go there.

#41 Edited by Winsord (1165 posts) -

Seemed like it was mixed really poorly, the beat didn't seem too unique or varied, and her delivery was a little flat. I don't think it was awful like a lot of people here seem to, but just kind of boring. Rap/Hip Hop definitely isn't my scene though, really only listen to a couple of bands. The most current thing that interests me between the genres would be Death Grips.

#42 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4637 posts) -

"Bounce, bitch, bounce bounce."

#43 Posted by Vinny_Says (5687 posts) -

Seems like your mind is pretty made up about her Demos. No matter what I say, no matter how constructive, you'll probably respond with "but it's so original and special". Being original, unique or special doesn't make automatically make you good or useful.

I think she's just another flash in the pan, but that's just my opinion (until it actually happened just like it happened to kreyshawn).

#44 Edited by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

Yeah, I have to say. Here delivery is far from "insane". She sounds like she is praying or something, extremely monotonous.

We need to cleanse our lyrical paletes

#45 Posted by blindisaac (141 posts) -

I am shocked to hear she is still a thing. I enjoyed her mixtape.

#46 Edited by Trav (241 posts) -

Better than Chippy Nonstop. I don't know how Jeff could stand that rapper, she was so obnoxious! Kitty seems like she might be okay, at least technically, but this song didn't do it for me. Sounded kinda boring, like it was all intro. And like it was mixed poorly.

#47 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

Legit thought you were talking about X-Men.

Reality was profoundly disappointing.

#48 Posted by Grasu (42 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Manhattan_Project said:

So you basicaly like her because you want white girls in the scene? Man, that's a shit reason to like someone. just because she offers some contrast doesn't mean she is less garbage.

#49 Edited by Lyniz (115 posts) -

sucks yo, move on.

that is not rap.

#50 Edited by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I think: Who?

Also I'll just drop my general opinion that rap has become too weird these days, so it's probably just more weird rap I can ignore.

Rap should be weird like ODB was weird, not like this.