This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Shadow (4980 posts) -

I just want to know why it is that so many people on the site can't stand it.  I'm looking for something other than "because it's stupid" or "anime is for jerks" or other long-repeated attempts at being funny.  Sorry I couldn't put that in a way that didn't make me sound like a dick, but does anyone have a legitimate answer?  I mean it's fine to just not be interested in anime, but so many people on this site seem to have absolute hate for anyone even remotely interested in it. 

#2 Edited by pirate_republic (1117 posts) -

I haven't seen that much anime, but what I have seen does not appeal to me:

I do of course realize that this isn't consistent with all anime, but it is from what I've seen.
 
EDIT: I forgot to mention that anime is for jerks. Blame Jeff, not me.
#3 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -
@pirate_republic said:
"I haven't seen that much anime, but what I have seen does not appeal to me:
  • stereotypical to the extreme: there is always an innocent school girl-type, a modest and brave protagonist, etc.
  • too weird: strange, hypersexual Japanese weirdness
  • too dumb: giant mechs with swords?
  • overly designed character appearances: crazy blue hair, ridiculous costumes that are simply insane
  • everything on this list: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/symphony/top-10-worst-anime-cliches/30-39734/
I do of course realize that this isn't consistent with all anime, but it is from what I've seen."

Indeed. I think symphony's blog summed up why the majority can't tolerate anime.
#4 Edited by Cloneslayer (1628 posts) -

I love anime buts its like ever other medium where 99% of all of it is crap. 
People just don't care to dig through the crap to find the good stuff like they do for TV, movies and games.

#5 Posted by DCFGS3 (1054 posts) -

Because it is a bit crazy for Western audiences (The whole of Japan is a bit too crazy for Western audiences), also it does have a tendency to fall into the pit of borderline (or just outright) hentai.

#6 Posted by Hailinel (24809 posts) -
@Shadow:   Honestly, I think it's near impossible to have a discussion about anime on this site without some chucklehead busting in with the old "for jerks" line simply because there are a lot of people that don't necessarily hate it, but they're apathetic toward it and are only able to contribute dumb jokes.  It doesn't help that Ryan has stated his own disdain for the medium on multiple occasions on Giant Bomb, so of course people can't think for themselves but feel like they have to emulate the opinions of the staff, as real or exaggerated as they may be.
#7 Posted by Pox22 (342 posts) -

Most all anime is ridiculously dumb.  There's a few anime series that I really like, and it's because those series tend to avoid the stupid cliches that make people hate anime.

#8 Posted by Meptron (1079 posts) -

Some anime is really great. But MOST is crap -> low budget, derivitive, lowest common denominator.  
Unfortunately, the stuff that is good rarely gets the full attention it deserves (Miyazaki = rare example). As a result, there is no reason for studios not to keep making more pokemon, digimon, etc-mon, etc-mon. 
 
Also, anime is for jerks.

#9 Posted by DonChipotle (2760 posts) -
@pirate_republic said:
" I haven't seen that much anime, but what I have seen does not appeal to me:
I do of course realize that this isn't consistent with all anime, but it is from what I've seen.  EDIT: I forgot to mention that anime is for jerks. Blame Jeff, not me. "
This is why Major is an awesome series. Because it doesn't have any of these traits or cliches.
#10 Posted by Delta_Ass (3280 posts) -

What's up with anime? It's just terrible, terrible art. The same identical fucking appearance, all across anime. Weird shaped head, with giant eyes, small nose, small mouth. Fucking ridiculous. Are they greys? Are they supposed to look like grey aliens? Cause grey aliens also have giant eyes, a small nose, and a small mouth.

And what's up with them having giant teardrops next to their head sometimes? Why is there a giant teardrop hovering near their head? Why? Is it raining? Is something going on? It looks retarded. Absolutely hideous. Along with the giant eyes. And sometimes the faces turn into cat faces for some fucking reason. Again, stupid shit.

And what about the super deformed appearances? Sometimes they turn super deformed. Have they just been in a fucking transporter malfunction, like that scene in Star Trek The Motion Picture? Where the science officer and that chick from the Lost Years novels gets transmogrified and all screwed up by the transporter? Why are things super deformed? Why does anything have to be deformed for no goddamn reason? Why is it super deformed, and not ultra deformed? Super deformed denotes that it has not quite gotten to the stage where it might be ultra deformed? Cause they look pretty deformed, and squished, and all small and ugly and kinda stout and uh... they don't look quite right. Again, really stupid and ugly art.

But it all comes back to the fact that they all look stupid. Giant eyes, really really giant eyes. Who the hell thought up this shit? With small mouths, that sometimes have a little bit of pointy incisor tooth. Just a little bit of incisor, to make em look kinda like cat people. Other times, you don't even see the nose. The nose disappears completely. Just awful. Ridiculous crap.

And of course, because they do all look the same, with the identical faces, the only logical way to differentiate them... the only way to tell em apart, is with wild and different colored hair. So you've got people with green hair. For no goddamn reason. Or they'll have blonde hair, but they're still supposed to be Asian? Really? Asian people with really blonde hair, that doesn't actually look like it was dyed? Purple hair, blue hair... just the gamut of colors. All because they can't be fucked to draw people differently. Noooooo, always gotta continue with the same identical giant eyed faces with small mouths. Unless they open the mouth, then the nose disappears. The mouth opens, nose disappears, and giant teardrop comes WHAM out of fucking nowhere. People make fun of the crazy ass hair in anime, and the defense is "well they wouldn't be able to tell characters apart without the different colored hair." No fucking shit. No fucking shit we wouldn't be able to tell those idiotic characters apart, they're all the same with those giant eyes and small noses and mouths! The answer isn't to give em all ridiculous hair... it's to actually try and draw em differently sometimes a bit mayhaps! Think, you lazy assholes!

Speaking of lazy... anime is so absolutely lazy. Just look at ALL the fucking speedline sequences in anime. I'm talking about those scenes where a character does something really dramatic, like running. What is the background while he's running? It's some crazy hyperspace field with a lot of lines and maybe purple ass stars flying around and it's like... where the fuck did this guy go off to? Or a robot will do something crazy like fly around. Suddenly, he's in this pinkish background with sparkles or some shit. And he's doing some crazy maneuver, but it's not in a location anymore, he's floating around in this magical ethereal world of white lines and stars and uh... nothingness? It's bullshit.

And of course, you'll have plenty of shots of people making punches or cutting with a sword, and the animation shows them all frozen in place, then a giant slash appears, then the thing getting punched or cut suddenly leaps six feet off of where it was, and the shot freezes once again. This is supposed to be dramatic, but just looks lazy, like the animators didn't want to animate more then a few shots. Lots of frozen scenes, depicting stuff happening. It's retarded.

You look at American animation, and yea, some of it looks like crap, but for God's sake, it doesn't all look alike. The Simpsons doesn't look like Batman TAS. Batman TAS doesn't look like X-Men TAS. Rugrats doesn't look like Ren and Stimpy. Kim Possible doesn't look like South Park. (Yes, I watched Kim Possible. It was embarrassing, but I was bored.) But everything anime is the same. Giant eyes, small nose, small mouth... usually a fucking robot in the background.

#11 Posted by DonChipotle (2760 posts) -
@Delta_Ass said:
" What's up with anime? It's just terrible, terrible art. The same identical fucking appearance, all across anime. Weird shaped head, with giant eyes, small nose, small mouth. Fucking ridiculous. Are they greys? Are they supposed to look like grey aliens? Cause grey aliens also have giant eyes, a small nose, and a small mouth. And what's up with them having giant teardrops next to their head sometimes? Why is there a giant teardrop hovering near their head? Why? Is it raining? Is something going on? It looks retarded. Absolutely hideous. Along with the giant eyes. And sometimes the faces turn into cat faces for some fucking reason. Again, stupid shit. And what about the super deformed appearances? Sometimes they turn super deformed. Have they just been in a fucking transporter malfunction, like that scene in Star Trek The Motion Picture? Where the science officer and that chick from the Lost Years novels gets transmogrified and all screwed up by the transporter? Why are things super deformed? Why does anything have to be deformed for no goddamn reason? Why is it super deformed, and not ultra deformed? Super deformed denotes that it has not quite gotten to the stage where it might be ultra deformed? Cause they look pretty deformed, and squished, and all small and ugly and kinda stout and uh... they don't look quite right. Again, really stupid and ugly art. But it all comes back to the fact that they all look stupid. Giant eyes, really really giant eyes. Who the hell thought up this shit? With small mouths, that sometimes have a little bit of pointy incisor tooth. Just a little bit of incisor, to make em look kinda like cat people. Other times, you don't even see the nose. The nose disappears completely. Just awful. Ridiculous crap. And of course, because they do all look the same, with the identical faces, the only logical way to differentiate them... the only way to tell em apart, is with wild and different colored hair. So you've got people with green hair. For no goddamn reason. Or they'll have blonde hair, but they're still supposed to be Asian? Really? Asian people with really blonde hair, that doesn't actually look like it was dyed? Purple hair, blue hair... just the gamut of colors. All because they can't be fucked to draw people differently. Noooooo, always gotta continue with the same identical giant eyed faces with small mouths. Unless they open the mouth, then the nose disappears. The mouth opens, nose disappears, and giant teardrop comes WHAM out of fucking nowhere. People make fun of the crazy ass hair in anime, and the defense is "well they wouldn't be able to tell characters apart without the different colored hair." No fucking shit. No fucking shit we wouldn't be able to tell those idiotic characters apart, they're all the same with those giant eyes and small noses and mouths! The answer isn't to give em all ridiculous hair... it's to actually try and draw em differently sometimes a bit mayhaps! Think, you lazy assholes! Speaking of lazy... anime is so absolutely lazy. Just look at ALL the fucking speedline sequences in anime. I'm talking about those scenes where a character does something really dramatic, like running. What is the background while he's running? It's some crazy hyperspace field with a lot of lines and maybe purple ass stars flying around and it's like... where the fuck did this guy go off to? Or a robot will do something crazy like fly around. Suddenly, he's in this pinkish background with sparkles or some shit. And he's doing some crazy maneuver, but it's not in a location anymore, he's floating around in this magical ethereal world of white lines and stars and uh... nothingness? It's bullshit. And of course, you'll have plenty of shots of people making punches or cutting with a sword, and the animation shows them all frozen in place, then a giant slash appears, then the thing getting punched or cut suddenly leaps six feet off of where it was, and the shot freezes once again. This is supposed to be dramatic, but just looks lazy, like the animators didn't want to animate more then a few shots. Lots of frozen scenes, depicting stuff happening. It's retarded. You look at American animation, and yea, some of it looks like crap, but for God's sake, it doesn't all look alike. The Simpsons doesn't look like Batman TAS. Batman TAS doesn't look like X-Men TAS. Rugrats doesn't look like Ren and Stimpy. Kim Possible doesn't look like South Park. (Yes, I watched Kim Possible. It was embarrassing, but I was bored.) But everything anime is the same. Giant eyes, small nose, small mouth... usually a fucking robot in the background. "
 
There's so much wrong with this it's like you think anime hasn't really progressed since the late 90s.
#12 Posted by TheHT (11266 posts) -

cause it's easier to say all anime sucks than to say everything i've seen that is anime is unappealing and to dig through (or just ask) for the ones that would appeal to me I DO NOT WANT TO DO.
 
and it's not really like you can say that if you've seen a few you've got a pretty good idea of what it is. 'anime' is really just a different visual style. but i guess if you don't like watching anything that isn't real, there's nothing stupid about that.

#13 Posted by JJOR64 (18993 posts) -

I like anime so I'll let the people who don't like it speak their mind.

#14 Edited by Cloneslayer (1628 posts) -
@Delta_Ass: Wow, I;m glad you typed all that out when you have like 2 points in it. Let me edit for you; 
"I don't like how animes look, don't understand the culture of Japanese animation, and I don't like that all amines look alike"  
 
That third one is also wrong.
#15 Posted by Shadow (4980 posts) -
@Delta_Ass: 
Are you aware of anime made after DBZ?
#16 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

I like the animation, art style, plot and action but I can't stand the voices, both English or Japanese. Super melodramatic, with little gasps towards every action, it's the most annoying thing ever. 

#17 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -
@Delta_Ass said:
"What's up with anime? It's just terrible, terrible art. The same identical fucking appearance, all across anime. Weird shaped head, with giant eyes, small nose, small mouth. Fucking ridiculous. Are they greys? Are they supposed to look like grey aliens? Cause grey aliens also have giant eyes, a small nose, and a small mouth.And what's up with them having giant teardrops next to their head sometimes? Why is there a giant teardrop hovering near their head? Why? Is it raining? Is something going on? It looks retarded. Absolutely hideous. Along with the giant eyes. And sometimes the faces turn into cat faces for some fucking reason. Again, stupid shit.And what about the super deformed appearances? Sometimes they turn super deformed. Have they just been in a fucking transporter malfunction, like that scene in Star Trek The Motion Picture? Where the science officer and that chick from the Lost Years novels gets transmogrified and all screwed up by the transporter? Why are things super deformed? Why does anything have to be deformed for no goddamn reason? Why is it super deformed, and not ultra deformed? Super deformed denotes that it has not quite gotten to the stage where it might be ultra deformed? Cause they look pretty deformed, and squished, and all small and ugly and kinda stout and uh... they don't look quite right. Again, really stupid and ugly art.But it all comes back to the fact that they all look stupid. Giant eyes, really really giant eyes. Who the hell thought up this shit? With small mouths, that sometimes have a little bit of pointy incisor tooth. Just a little bit of incisor, to make em look kinda like cat people. Other times, you don't even see the nose. The nose disappears completely. Just awful. Ridiculous crap.And of course, because they do all look the same, with the identical faces, the only logical way to differentiate them... the only way to tell em apart, is with wild and different colored hair. So you've got people with green hair. For no goddamn reason. Or they'll have blonde hair, but they're still supposed to be Asian? Really? Asian people with really blonde hair, that doesn't actually look like it was dyed? Purple hair, blue hair... just the gamut of colors. All because they can't be fucked to draw people differently. Noooooo, always gotta continue with the same identical giant eyed faces with small mouths. Unless they open the mouth, then the nose disappears. The mouth opens, nose disappears, and giant teardrop comes WHAM out of fucking nowhere. People make fun of the crazy ass hair in anime, and the defense is "well they wouldn't be able to tell characters apart without the different colored hair." No fucking shit. No fucking shit we wouldn't be able to tell those idiotic characters apart, they're all the same with those giant eyes and small noses and mouths! The answer isn't to give em all ridiculous hair... it's to actually try and draw em differently sometimes a bit mayhaps! Think, you lazy assholes!Speaking of lazy... anime is so absolutely lazy. Just look at ALL the fucking speedline sequences in anime. I'm talking about those scenes where a character does something really dramatic, like running. What is the background while he's running? It's some crazy hyperspace field with a lot of lines and maybe purple ass stars flying around and it's like... where the fuck did this guy go off to? Or a robot will do something crazy like fly around. Suddenly, he's in this pinkish background with sparkles or some shit. And he's doing some crazy maneuver, but it's not in a location anymore, he's floating around in this magical ethereal world of white lines and stars and uh... nothingness? It's bullshit. And of course, you'll have plenty of shots of people making punches or cutting with a sword, and the animation shows them all frozen in place, then a giant slash appears, then the thing getting punched or cut suddenly leaps six feet off of where it was, and the shot freezes once again. This is supposed to be dramatic, but just looks lazy, like the animators didn't want to animate more then a few shots. Lots of frozen scenes, depicting stuff happening. It's retarded.You look at American animation, and yea, some of it looks like crap, but for God's sake, it doesn't all look alike. The Simpsons doesn't look like Batman TAS. Batman TAS doesn't look like X-Men TAS. Rugrats doesn't look like Ren and Stimpy. Kim Possible doesn't look like South Park. (Yes, I watched Kim Possible. It was embarrassing, but I was bored.) But everything anime is the same. Giant eyes, small nose, small mouth... usually a fucking robot in the background. "

I'm sensing a very harsh childhood.
#18 Posted by Spiral_Stars (456 posts) -
@pirate_republic:
#19 Posted by Meptron (1079 posts) -
@Delta_Ass said:
" What's up with anime? It's just terrible, terrible art. The same identical fucking appearance, all across anime. Weird shaped head, with giant eyes, small nose, small mouth. Fucking ridiculous. Are they greys? Are they supposed to look like grey aliens? Cause grey aliens also have giant eyes, a small nose, and a small mouth. And what's up with them having giant teardrops next to their head sometimes? Why is there a giant teardrop hovering near their head? Why? Is it raining? Is something going on? It looks retarded. Absolutely hideous. Along with the giant eyes. And sometimes the faces turn into cat faces for some fucking reason. Again, stupid shit. And what about the super deformed appearances? Sometimes they turn super deformed. Have they just been in a fucking transporter malfunction, like that scene in Star Trek The Motion Picture? Where the science officer and that chick from the Lost Years novels gets transmogrified and all screwed up by the transporter? Why are things super deformed? Why does anything have to be deformed for no goddamn reason? Why is it super deformed, and not ultra deformed? Super deformed denotes that it has not quite gotten to the stage where it might be ultra deformed? Cause they look pretty deformed, and squished, and all small and ugly and kinda stout and uh... they don't look quite right. Again, really stupid and ugly art. But it all comes back to the fact that they all look stupid. Giant eyes, really really giant eyes. Who the hell thought up this shit? With small mouths, that sometimes have a little bit of pointy incisor tooth. Just a little bit of incisor, to make em look kinda like cat people. Other times, you don't even see the nose. The nose disappears completely. Just awful. Ridiculous crap. And of course, because they do all look the same, with the identical faces, the only logical way to differentiate them... the only way to tell em apart, is with wild and different colored hair. So you've got people with green hair. For no goddamn reason. Or they'll have blonde hair, but they're still supposed to be Asian? Really? Asian people with really blonde hair, that doesn't actually look like it was dyed? Purple hair, blue hair... just the gamut of colors. All because they can't be fucked to draw people differently. Noooooo, always gotta continue with the same identical giant eyed faces with small mouths. Unless they open the mouth, then the nose disappears. The mouth opens, nose disappears, and giant teardrop comes WHAM out of fucking nowhere. People make fun of the crazy ass hair in anime, and the defense is "well they wouldn't be able to tell characters apart without the different colored hair." No fucking shit. No fucking shit we wouldn't be able to tell those idiotic characters apart, they're all the same with those giant eyes and small noses and mouths! The answer isn't to give em all ridiculous hair... it's to actually try and draw em differently sometimes a bit mayhaps! Think, you lazy assholes! Speaking of lazy... anime is so absolutely lazy. Just look at ALL the fucking speedline sequences in anime. I'm talking about those scenes where a character does something really dramatic, like running. What is the background while he's running? It's some crazy hyperspace field with a lot of lines and maybe purple ass stars flying around and it's like... where the fuck did this guy go off to? Or a robot will do something crazy like fly around. Suddenly, he's in this pinkish background with sparkles or some shit. And he's doing some crazy maneuver, but it's not in a location anymore, he's floating around in this magical ethereal world of white lines and stars and uh... nothingness? It's bullshit. And of course, you'll have plenty of shots of people making punches or cutting with a sword, and the animation shows them all frozen in place, then a giant slash appears, then the thing getting punched or cut suddenly leaps six feet off of where it was, and the shot freezes once again. This is supposed to be dramatic, but just looks lazy, like the animators didn't want to animate more then a few shots. Lots of frozen scenes, depicting stuff happening. It's retarded. You look at American animation, and yea, some of it looks like crap, but for God's sake, it doesn't all look alike. The Simpsons doesn't look like Batman TAS. Batman TAS doesn't look like X-Men TAS. Rugrats doesn't look like Ren and Stimpy. Kim Possible doesn't look like South Park. (Yes, I watched Kim Possible. It was embarrassing, but I was bored.) But everything anime is the same. Giant eyes, small nose, small mouth... usually a fucking robot in the background. "
holy wall of text batman!
#20 Posted by Cloneslayer (1628 posts) -
@Geno said:
" I like the animation, art style, plot and action but I can't stand the voices, both English or Japanese. Super melodramatic, with little gasps towards every action, it's the most annoying thing ever.  "
Ugh, I know. English dubs are horrible and some Japanese voices just grind on my ears. I always default to subs though because clearly dub teams have no budget. 
#21 Posted by Mariek430 (409 posts) -

Hellsing, Claymore, Berserk, Elfen Lied, Outlaw Star, and Cowboy Bebop are the only ones I could really sit down and watch episode after episode, I don't hate it so much as I find most of it far to silly to really get into the story or care about the characters.

#22 Posted by DonChipotle (2760 posts) -
@Cloneslayer said:
" @Geno said:
" I like the animation, art style, plot and action but I can't stand the voices, both English or Japanese. Super melodramatic, with little gasps towards every action, it's the most annoying thing ever.  "
Ugh, I know. English dubs are horrible and some Japanese voices just grind on my ears. I always default to subs though because clearly dub teams have no budget.  "
Hey man, sometimes dubs are pretty alright. Like Cowboy Bebop. It's way better dubbed.
#23 Posted by Cloneslayer (1628 posts) -
@VelvetLore04 said:
" @Cloneslayer said:
" @Geno said:
" I like the animation, art style, plot and action but I can't stand the voices, both English or Japanese. Super melodramatic, with little gasps towards every action, it's the most annoying thing ever.  "
Ugh, I know. English dubs are horrible and some Japanese voices just grind on my ears. I always default to subs though because clearly dub teams have no budget.  "
Hey man, sometimes dubs are pretty alright. Like Cowboy Bebop. It's way better dubbed. "
Some dubs are good. Cowboy Bebop is a good dub, so is FMA. Most though.... meh.
#24 Posted by Hailinel (24809 posts) -
@Mariek430 said:
" Hellsing, Claymore, Berserk, Elfen Lied, Outlaw Star, and Cowboy Bebop are the only ones I could really sit down and watch episode after episode, I don't hate it so much as I find most of it far to silly to really get into the story or care about the characters. "
The same could be applied to any medium, though.  Hollywood churns out so much live-action dreck every year that sometimes finding the movies that are actually good can be a crap shoot.
#25 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -
@Cloneslayer: Some English dubs are pretty good. For example, my roommate who swears by Japanese dubs watches DBZ and FMA in English.
#26 Posted by DonChipotle (2760 posts) -
@Cloneslayer said:
" @VelvetLore04 said:
" @Cloneslayer said:
" @Geno said:
" I like the animation, art style, plot and action but I can't stand the voices, both English or Japanese. Super melodramatic, with little gasps towards every action, it's the most annoying thing ever.  "
Ugh, I know. English dubs are horrible and some Japanese voices just grind on my ears. I always default to subs though because clearly dub teams have no budget.  "
Hey man, sometimes dubs are pretty alright. Like Cowboy Bebop. It's way better dubbed. "
Some dubs are good. Cowboy Bebop is a good dub, so is FMA. Most though.... meh. "
 
 
I thought the Black Lagoon dub was pretty awesome but then again I may just like the overuse of the word 'fuck'.
#27 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -

I am a person who really likes anime, but i feel like its really inferior to videogames because they just crank out so much of it and so much of it is bad or derivative.  It makes it hard to find the gems and its nearly impossible to keep up. Further its too expensive. Buying DVD sets and all the manga volumes of even just one series is too much money. Sure i could steal all that stuff from the web like alot of people do, but i dont like stealing.  I want to spend my money on games, which really seem to provide more value for your dollar. Also, and i know this seems like an unfair generalization, the people who i come into real world contact with who are really into anime tend to be unpleasant. Either they love things that are terrible, or they are kind of snotty or just kind of off. And i know that gamers can be the same way, but still. Anime bums me out because i love stuff like Trigun, Escaflowne, Gunbuster, Paranoia agent, Macross Plus, Elfen Lied, and other shows, i just dont have the time to sort through the tidalwave of shows nor the money to buy em.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (24809 posts) -
@ricetopher said:
" @Cloneslayer: Some English dubs are pretty good. For example, my roommate who swears by Japanese dubs watches DBZ and FMA in English. "
The DBZ dub?  Really?  Did it get better after FUNimation stopped censoring and editing the hell out of it?
 
Personally, one of the best dubs I've ever seen was the one for the original El-Hazard OVA series.  The voices all really fit the characters, and it helped that the setting was based more on western concepts.  But no matter the voice actor, Jinnai's laugh is epic in any language.
#29 Posted by Daroki (712 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @Delta_Ass said:
[A bunch of shit that proves that quantity doesn't equal quality.]
I'm sensing a very harsh childhood. "
Do  you think that tentacle rape might have had a part in that?  :)
#30 Edited by Cloneslayer (1628 posts) -
@Daroki said:

" @Abyssfull said:

" @Delta_Ass said:

[A bunch of shit that proves that quantity doesn't equal quality.]

I'm sensing a very harsh childhood. "
Do  you think that tentacle rape might have had a part in that?  :) "
For sure. 
 
I would also like to throw out that Evangelion (though Gainax has made some of my favorite animes) is the worst anime ever. some one had to say it.
#31 Posted by shinluis (429 posts) -
@Cloneslayer:  AWESOME post, mate
#32 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Because more than 80% of GiantBomb is white and anime is often incompatiable with the tastes of white people.
 
I can vouch for that.

#33 Posted by Seedofpower (3930 posts) -

Well, I grew up on anime and when i was a kid i really enjoyed it. At this point in my age, I'm getting tired of a lot of Japanese cartoons always relying on the old formula to keep the viewer watching. Like the old Japanese quips and 1 or 2 female characters has to have a bust since no smaller than D.
 
I think one of the greatest series of the last decade has to be Paranoia Agent! I really dug the plot and ending. (Also the main female doesn't have boobs bigger than her head....)

#34 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -
@Hailinel: Never saw any "uncut versions" (not sure if they exist), but the censoring/editing was a bummer. The super high pitched Goku voice got annoying enough to him that it justified taking edits/censoring over the worse main character VA.
#35 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Delta_Ass:   You come across as racist, ignorant, foolish and basically stupid.  Next time try removing any racist epithets, overtones and stereotypes, they don't do your arguments any favours.  
 
It's plainly obvious that your exposure to anime is extremely limited.
#36 Posted by Hailinel (24809 posts) -
@ricetopher said:
" @Hailinel: Never saw any "uncut versions" (not sure if they exist), but the censoring/editing was a bummer. The super high pitched Goku voice got annoying enough to him that it justified taking edits/censoring over the worse main character VA. "
FUNimation actually started releasing new DVD sets of DBZ a couple of months ago.  The sets are entitled "Dragon Box Z" and include the remastered, unedited episodes, complete with the original Japanese voice and music tracks.
#37 Posted by Cloneslayer (1628 posts) -

I feel sorry for all the kids who are forced to watch 4kids dubs now-a-days. The massacre of One Piece is still inexcusable. 

#38 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@ChristOnIce:   You can't comment on a medium as whole without citing examples and I'll guarantee that you can't cite examples because you don't know what you're talking about.
 
Anime is an extremely variant medium from the serious and sublime to the ridiculous and pantomime.  There's absolutely no way any person who has seen a decent amount of anime dating from the late 50s to the modern day would say what you just said.
 
Please prove your point of view with examples.
#39 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

There are some really good anime out there, like ghost in the shell series and also good anime movies. However there is alot of t.v shows that alot of ppl doesn't like. Ppl who hates anime is sterotyping it since they don't watch it and is also uncultured.  
 
There is nothing wrong with anime, the only thing that is wrong is american animation where it appeals to a younger audience with absoutely no thinking involved. Anime is usually well written imo depending on the series and everything animerican animation isn't, a good medium. I belive one day when they used all the medium of novels and comic books for movies, they are going to create alot of anime movies in a few years.

#40 Posted by Hailinel (24809 posts) -
@ChristOnIce said:
" As a medium, anime fails in both breadth and innovation.  There is such resistance to change that the same cliches and archetypes are repeated ad nauseum.  This applies to the character development, the plots, the art, and the music.  When it comes to trouncing on trends and kicking a horse well after death, anime puts Hollywood to shame.  I find it odd considering how diverse Japanese live-action films are as a medium, but it does seem to be the case. The reason it is so often singled out is because it so often takes itself seriously.  The fans also take it too seriously.  9/10 times, you're just watching a fucking cartoon.  The pretensions mangaloid nature of so many anime fans has made the lot of you a prime target.  "
Once again, the same can be said of all mediums.  An overabundance of productions that play it safe and are rife with cliche, productions that are experimental to the point that they become impossible to comprehend, productions that take themselves too seriously, and productions that don't take themselves seriously enough.  To single out anime in this regard is short-sighted.
 
I mean, for Christ's sake, Americans as a society allowed for the perpetuation of Twilight into a pop culture phenomenon.
#41 Posted by Delta_Ass (3280 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Delta_Ass:   You come across as racist, ignorant, foolish and basically stupid.  Next time try removing any racist epithets, overtones and stereotypes, they don't do your arguments any favours.    It's plainly obvious that your exposure to anime is extremely limited. "
 
Nah, I'm not racist. You're wrong, sorry. I like plenty of stuff from Japan. Anime's just not one of them.
 
Why would I seek out anymore exposure to anime? I hate anime. People don't go seeking more exposure to something they dislike.
#42 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

 I've watched my share of anime and I'd probably agree with any decent person calling it garbage because a very large majority of it is. There are some great series here and there, but I don't feel the need to defend anime in its entirety. Nearly every current anime series is complete trash and I'm probably only following (some of) them out of habit. Cliches plague almost every series, characters and stories are repeatedly copy-pasted, and really, most anime stereotypes aren't entirely false. So yeah, I wouldn't really consider myself a fan of anime, but there are some shows I've really enjoyed (Monster, Mushishi, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Planetes, Ghost in the Shell) that I think people should check out if they haven't already. Otherwise, you aren't missing a whole lot.

#43 Posted by Daveyo520 (6761 posts) -

I have no disdain for anime, I actually like it very much. As for why people don't like it?  Maybe it is too hard for people to get ahold of anime to watch? Or it just has a stigma around it for some reason and people don't like that.

#44 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I just have no interest in it. That's all.

#45 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Delta_Ass said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Delta_Ass:   You come across as racist, ignorant, foolish and basically stupid.  Next time try removing any racist epithets, overtones and stereotypes, they don't do your arguments any favours.    It's plainly obvious that your exposure to anime is extremely limited. "
 Nah, I'm not racist. You're wrong, sorry. I like plenty of stuff from Japan. Anime's just not one of them.  Why would I seek out anymore exposure to anime? I hate anime. People don't go seeking more exposure to something they dislike. "
Well when you say they all look the same it definitely sounds racist, if only passively aggressively so.   You might find that there are some animes you do enjoy should you try and look a little further afield than the tween stuff you're obviously using to make a broad judgment from.  I find shows like GREEK and Glee Club to be awful but I don't use them as a basis to dislike all American television.
#46 Posted by Spike94 (735 posts) -
@pirate_republic:
Clearly you have yet to see the greatness that is Cowboy Bebop.
#47 Posted by Hailinel (24809 posts) -
@Delta_Ass said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @Delta_Ass:   You come across as racist, ignorant, foolish and basically stupid.  Next time try removing any racist epithets, overtones and stereotypes, they don't do your arguments any favours.    It's plainly obvious that your exposure to anime is extremely limited. "
 Nah, I'm not racist. You're wrong, sorry. I like plenty of stuff from Japan. Anime's just not one of them.  Why would I seek out anymore exposure to anime? I hate anime. People don't go seeking more exposure to something they dislike. "
You don't exactly come across as understanding that anime as a medium covers a broad spectrum of genres, art styles, tones, and audiences.
#48 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3071 posts) -

 This accurately summarizes how I feel about anime. Also, I pronounce anime "an-eem", except not really.

#49 Posted by Hailinel (24809 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze:  There's always someone that thinks they're being clever when they pull that out.
#50 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze:  There's always someone that thinks they're being clever when they pull that out. "

And it wasn't all that funny to begin with, really.