So what is with the distain for anime?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#201  Edited By NukeSpoon

two nukes

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Eh, I haven't watched a lot of anime, but from what I've seen it's a hell of a lot better than your average American animation. 

Dragon Ball was great. I recently watched a movie called Metropolis on netflix. That was great. Noein is great. *shrug* I don't see the appeal of that ecchi stuff (If I want fanservice, I'll go for all out hentai, and at that point the story don't matter ;), so I don't bother to watch it. It's not like there is a shortage of other genres out there.

NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By NukeSpoon

Someone show me screencaps of two anime series that have completely different art styles.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#204  Edited By hicks91
@NukeSpoon said:
" two nukes "
were not enough
NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By NukeSpoon

Say it with a haiku.
 Say it with a haiku.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#206  Edited By Skald
@ChristOnIce: All of your arguments seem to be based on mediums requiring philosophical depth and variety in their plot. Do you actually have any evidence or reasoning to show that this does, in fact, define a medium, or are you just fabricating these points to further your own position on the issue? 
shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#207  Edited By shotaro

Some anime is excellent, however large swathes of it is utter trash.

The thing that annoys me is the tendency to have everything all boil down to friendship and love! Even outlaw starm which was excellent throughout had the crappy cop-out love and friendship ending

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#208  Edited By Vinchenzo

I just grew out of it. I hate it. I love Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, but I can't even tolerate watching those anymore. They're just boring.

NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By NukeSpoon
@Vinchenzo said:
" I just grew out of it. I hate it. I love Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, but I can't even tolerate watching those anymore. They're just boring. "
Is it because it's all the fucking same?
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By hicks91

the stereotype of all anime fans as being basement dwelling paedophile neckbeards is there for a reason

Noted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Noted

Haters gonna hate. If there's one thing I've learned, it's to never mention anything about anime to anyone. Everybody loves to share their hate for anime for some reason, and they'll ram it in your ears faster than you can say Studio Ghibli [or whatever you planned on saying]. Everything is shit, and your argument is invalid because GTFO.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By ProfessorK

I can summarize the hate as:  Anime is intended for Japanese people and American animation is intended for Americans. Americans, not being exposed from birth to Japanese culture, would find anime strange and maybe unappealing. The hate just comes mostly from the anonymity of the internet and the whole "I can say whatever the fuck I want" mentality. Anyone who truly dislikes anime and doesn't fall into that category might have been exposed to the steriotypical anime fanboys/girls who, like execessive fans of anything, tend to give it a bad image. 

I personally can't speak for everyone and will not try to. But those are my thoughts on the subject at hand. I actually enjoy anime, but hell yea there is a lot of derivitive garbage out there. But seriously ppl all mediums are like that once they get popular enough, video games included.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By NoDeath
@NukeSpoon said:
" Someone show me screencaps of two anime series that have completely different art styles. "
Mind Game:

Code Geass:

Revolutionary Girl Utena:

K-on:

Eve no Jikan:

Azumanga Daioh:

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time:

Shall I go on?
cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By cloneslayer
@ProfessorK said:
" I can summarize the hate as:  Anime is intended for Japanese people and American animation is intended for Americans. Americans, not being exposed from birth to Japanese culture, would find anime strange and maybe unappealing. The hate just comes mostly from the anonymity of the internet and the whole "I can say whatever the fuck I want" mentality. Anyone who truly dislikes anime and doesn't fall into that category might have been exposed to the steriotypical anime fanboys/girls who, like execessive fans of anything, tend to give it a bad image.   I personally can't speak for everyone and will not try to. But those are my thoughts on the subject at hand. I actually enjoy anime, but hell yea there is a lot of derivitive garbage out there. But seriously ppl all mediums are like that once they get popular enough, video games included. "
People should listen to reasonable people like you once in a while.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#215  Edited By JackiJinx

I actually don't hate anime and use to watch it much more prevalently when I was in middle school. That said, I still think a lot of it's repetitive and ultimately not worth watching. I do find some worth watching from time to time and do watch them, but I hardly ever tell anyone about them because of the image of anime lovers, which I am by no means.  

Anime fanatics scare me to no end and they are the sole reason that I check my closet at night.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#216  Edited By Skytylz
@Gregomasta said:
" Because in anime, boys look like girls. "
This is basically most Japanese media.
NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By NukeSpoon
@NoDeath: That is still all mostly the same art-style, just with different levels of detail.
jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#218  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I like some anime. 

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#219  Edited By Trilogy

I use to really like anime when I was about 12-15. After that I just grew out of it. I've tried going back to anime but It's tough. My tolerance level for typical anime sense of humor is paper thin. It just comes off as annoying to me. FLCL is a great example of this and it's pretty much why I don't like most anime. It gives me a headache just thinking about it. I could, however, watch the anime I was into as a kid again out of pure nostalgia and probably enjoy it but beyond that it's lost to me. Besides, I was an "anime noob" as a kid. All I watched was toonami and whatever I could get my hands on at the local blockbuster (princess monoke, ninja scrolls, ect) so I guess I was never "into anime" like some people are.

I don't, however, hate people who are into anime. Unless of course they are pretentious assholes about it but that has more to do with me hating pretentious assholes then it does with anime itself.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#220  Edited By trophyhunter

because jeff said anime is for jerks which it is 
just look at me.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By uniform

Anime sucks because I base my opinion on what is shown on television in North America. Surely it must all suck.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By TwoOneFive

most of it is totally garbage and the rabid fanboys are among the WEIRDEST kind of fanboys on earth. 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By TwoOneFive

dont get me wrong guys, i used to be a big fan of anime. shows like dragonball z are embedded into my childhood memory and i love the animatrix, akria, cowboy bebop.  

but god damn, wtf is hentai so popular for? 
whats all this girls in school uniforms shit?! 
wtf?!?!?!?!?! is up with all of the robots?!?!?!?!?!?!

Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Laharl

I used to like anime but it seems the industry just became repetitive nonsense and i lost all interest. 
Anime pretty much is now  just dragonball z with different color drapes over it, same shit over and over.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@trophyhunter said:
" because jeff said anime is for jerks which it is  just look at me. "

You know, this is probably the most convincing argument in this thread.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By TwoOneFive
  don't know what this is from but its basically the most generic and noticably anime style period and is why people cant stand it. the majority of anime looks like this crap. 
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#227  Edited By kishan6
@pirate_republic said:
" I haven't seen that much anime, but what I have seen does not appeal to me:
I do of course realize that this isn't consistent with all anime, but it is from what I've seen.  EDIT: I forgot to mention that anime is for jerks. Blame Jeff, not me. "
wow that was a really pro post lol... normally it takes much longer to get a good answer like this
Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By Fuzz_Butt
@NukeSpoon said:

" @NoDeath: That is still all mostly the same art-style, just with different levels of detail. "

No Caption Provided
taotu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By taotu

As far as I'm concerned, the general quality of anime is equivalent to the general quality of American sitcoms/dramas. Which means - yes, an awful lot of it is shit, with cliche storylines, constant misunderstandings, and unlikely circumstances that keeps things from resolving. But every once in a while there's a real gem, that might defy the cliches and create a new standard, or uses the cliches to its advantage.

Most of the anime that Americans have been exposed to is not good anime. The anime that is being imported and broadcast on television (which is what you'll see if you don't seek it out) is generally the kind of stuff that sells to young kids- Naruto, Yu-gi-oh, Pokemon- not the good stuff, but stuff that results in good merchandising. (You're not going to get the little ones into the 'Seinfeld' of animes, it'll go straight over their heads) This tends to be sloppily dubbed, and devoid of emotional impact. If that's the kind of stuff you've been watching, I'm not surprised you don't enjoy anime, or have an awful lot of respect for it.

If you've watched a couple of episodes of Mushishi, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Cowboy Bebop and still say that all anime is the same and it's all crap, well- I don't understand where you're coming from. But until you've seen that kind of quality art/writing, you haven't seen what anime art & storytelling can really accomplish.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By raviolisumo

Ok fine. I enjoyed Cowboy Bebop and FLCL. HAPPY?! Thinking about it more, maybe I've just been exposed to the "wrong" fans (The ones that drop stupid anime / meme references in public and expect everyone to get it.) If you guys can enjoy it and actually talk to people about other things and aren't total social lepers like the fans I know, then carry on.  

EDIT: But I'm not gonna lie. Most anime is garbage. Look on the previous page and try to tell me that half of that stuff in the art comparison pic doesn't look terrible. 

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Turambar

It always makes me laugh when people justify their hate for anime because a large portion of it sucks while a small portion of it is awesome, while proclaiming love for video games which, just like anime and every other medium, has the same proportion of high and low quality.

KevinMerrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By KevinMerrill
@Shadow:  Personally I just can't stand the artstyle,  and generally the storyline just comes across as unbearable most of the time in anime.  Not too mention bad voice acting.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Turambar
@hicks91 said:
" the stereotype of all anime fans as being basement dwelling paedophile neckbeards is there for a reason "
Much like the stereotype of all video game geeks and nerds being socially inept 30 year olds with neck beards and living with their moms was there for a reason: people are retarded.
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By raviolisumo
@Turambar said:
" @hicks91 said:
" the stereotype of all anime fans as being basement dwelling paedophile neckbeards is there for a reason "
Much like the stereotype of all video game geeks and nerds being socially inept 30 year olds with neck beards and living with their moms was there for a reason: people are retarded. "
There's more to the anime one, if the countless youtubes/pics of those disgusting shrines are to be believed.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By Turambar
@Wes899 said:
" @Turambar said:
" @hicks91 said:
Much like the stereotype of all video game geeks and nerds being socially inept 30 year olds with neck beards and living with their moms was there for a reason: people are retarded. "
There's more to the anime one, if the countless youtubes/pics of those disgusting shrines are to be believed. "
Have you seen some of the western comic/scifi/whatever based convention images out there?
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By raviolisumo
@Turambar: I have, but for some reason the anime shut ins are more disgusting to me.  

Also, comics are rad. 
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Turambar
@Wes899 said:
" @Turambar: I have, but for some reason the anime shut ins are more disgusting to me.   Also, comics are rad.  "
I'm gonna have to beg to differ.  But comics are rad.
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By raviolisumo
@Turambar: I guess I just associate anime fans (as whole) with 4chan. 

EDIT: We should just all agree to like Preacher.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Turambar
@Wes899:   Not to beat a dead horse, but 4chan is far more than just anime.  Spending awhile in /v/ will probably make you hate video game fans as a whole and /cgl/ is where I saw some of the most disturbing western convention images out there.  That said, much like any easily accessible public forum, there are always a few gems in a large pile of coal. 

Actually, I should fully disclose that I'm actually fairly ambivalent about comics.  I haven't actively engaged in reading any for well over a decade now, but I still respect it's existence and it's influence.  Coincidentally, the new anime Heroman is being done in conjunction with Marvel and watching it fills me with pretty fuzzy feelings.
DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By DukesT3

Samurai Champloo. Thats all for me that I really enjoy. 

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#241  Edited By IcySandman
@Fuzz_Butt: Hey what is that show called?  Seems kind of interesting. 

Yeah..my opinion is that the reason for disdain is because usually a person would have to go out of there way to get a good show in the U.S., so the most we really see are crappy shows...
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#242  Edited By Hailinel
@IcySandman said:
" @Fuzz_Butt: Hey what is that show called?  Seems kind of interesting.  Yeah..my opinion is that the reason for disdain is because usually a person would have to go out of there way to get a good show in the U.S., so the most we really see are crappy shows... "
That's actually a movie called Jin-Roh:  The Wolf Brigade.
vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#243  Edited By vigorousjammer
@bybeach said:
"
I like some anime. There was that classic movie (I cannot for the life of me remember the name, that started off with a motercycle gang from a boarding school or orphanage, and evolvied into world creation story.  That was actually pretty good."
The movie you were talking about is Akira, and yes... it's fucking awesome.
NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By NukeSpoon
@Fuzz_Butt:  Still looks the same.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By ryanwho

I think a lot of the anime hate is gamers who feel like they need to counteract their interest in a habit with a lot of negative preconceptions, gaming, by embracing negative preconceptions for something else. What, gamers are insecure? Hard to believe I know. The reality is normal people, actual normal people, nothing anime. This passion comes from nerds who need something below them on the totem pole to look down on. Tell me you're writing full on essays about this because its not some coping mechanism. Indifference looks like the posts people didn't make, not the wall of text explaining your faux indifference.

NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By NukeSpoon

For the record I don't own any current-gen consoles or a decent PC.

I just enjoy the videos here.

And anime still blows.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By NoDeath
@ryanwho said:
" I think a lot of the anime hate is gamers who feel like they need to counteract their interest in a habit with a lot of negative preconceptions, gaming, by embracing negative preconceptions for something else. What, gamers are insecure? Hard to believe I know. The reality is normal people, actual normal people, nothing anime. This passion comes from nerds who need something below them on the totem pole to look down on.  "
So does that mean anime fans look down on LARPers?
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By hicks91
@NoDeath: everyone looks down on larpers 
FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#249  Edited By FirePrince

Dude,anime makes zero sense,always loses track of it's story,always gets confusing,blah blah blah blah blah. 
I don't hate anime.It's just that it is way beyond my understanding of what the hell is happening with that guy who has a hedgehog for hair,and a huge-boobed partner.Nothing makes SENSE.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#250  Edited By Afroman269

I don't have an outright hate for anime. I probably watched 2 or 3 series and that's it but I like to say anime is for jerks because it's funny and it makes anime fanboys cry.