• 112 results
#51 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Suttree by Cormac McCarthy.

Also, there are SO MANY threads about this topic. Did we need another one?

#52 Posted by le_zane (63 posts) -

Just finished In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and loved it. Just bought and started Breed by Chase Novak on a whim, I don't know if it'll be any good.

#53 Posted by Jrinswand (1698 posts) -

I'm reading about 50 freshman composition essays. And I'm re-reading A Song of Ice and Fire. The last time I read all the books was in like 2004/2005.

#54 Posted by BonOrbitz (2182 posts) -

Currently I'm reading The Good War by Studs Terkel. It's a collection of interviews and essays about how the only necessary (and highly romanticized) war in American history set events in motion for the country's future (the military controlling the State Department and practically combining with religion) and is full of corruption, cruelty, and other things you've never heard about when it came to American soldiers and officers from all walks of life and mindsets that served in WWII.

I hope to wrap that up soon so I can dive into some lighter fare in time for Halloween: H.P. Lovecraft.

#55 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

The Last of the Mohicans.

#56 Posted by HistoryInRust (6287 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

Suttree and The Outer Dark are the only two of his library I have yet to get around to. Just finished Cities of the Plain. I'm taking a break from ole' Cormac until the winter when I'll probably pick up No Country again or maybe Blood Meridian for a second time.

#57 Posted by Hunter5024 (5598 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

Actually been reading The Wheel of Time Series.... Finished with the third book a few weeks ago and enjoyed them, but dont know if i will actually go to much deeper as i hear they start to drag bad by books 7-10. Id love to finish it tho as i hear the last few books are good. Only 8000 pages to go....

I'm on book 5. I felt like they kind of dragged from the very beginning, but if I were you I'd read 4, it's way better than 3.

#58 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

@TheJohn said:

John Dies at the End by David Wong was pretty god-damned fun. Crazy drugs, unspeakable horrors, dumb violence and nifty humor made it a great, fast pallet cleanser to enjoy between tomes.

Also, Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter's collaboration The Long World is also good. More Baxter than Pratchett, but still something Pratchett fans should check out.

The Long World was good. I'm a big fan of both authors, so that purchase was a no-brainer. I'm really looking forward to the second part.

I'm about to start Iain M. Banks' Culture series. I'm reading them in order of release, so I'm starting with Consider Phlebas.

#59 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

@ShadowConqueror said:

Suttree and The Outer Dark are the only two of his library I have yet to get around to. Just finished Cities of the Plain. I'm taking a break from ole' Cormac until the winter when I'll probably pick up No Country again or maybe Blood Meridian for a second time.

I think Outer Dark or Child of God will be my next choice. I still need to read the Border Trilogy, but I'm holding off on that until I have time to commit to it.

#60 Posted by DarkTravesty (330 posts) -

battle royale and world war z

#61 Posted by HistoryInRust (6287 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

@HistoryInRust said:

@ShadowConqueror said:

I think Outer Dark or Child of God will be my next choice. I still need to read the Border Trilogy, but I'm holding off on that until I have time to commit to it.

Luckily you probably don't need to read the three of them straight through. Chronologically you could even probably read The Crossing before All the Pretty Horses. Both of those two are fan-fucking-tastic. Cities of the Plain is good but overall the weakest of the three.

#62 Edited by NonCorporeal (3 posts) -

Right now I'm reading 'A Game of Thrones: A song of Ice and Fire' by George R.R. Martin and 'Dune' by Frank Herbert.

#63 Posted by jasonmartin (17 posts) -

Yeah.. that's kind a why I want to see them through to the end as I hear Sanderson brought the books back up to snuff. I also want to read The Way of Kings eventually as I hear that's amazing, i just hate getting into new series when they start as waiting years between books can really get old.

#64 Posted by Wakka (80 posts) -

Just finished: Tupac: Resurrection.

Reading Now: The Anti-American Manifesto by Ted Rall.

Reading Next: The Last Empire: Essays 1992-2000 by Gore Vidal, and The World As It Is: Dispatches on the Myth of Human Progress by Chris Hedges.

That's the stuff I picked up from the library yesterday. I like getting books from the library because the return dates make me read in boss mode. =P

#65 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

An Introduction to Chemistry by Mark Bishop. I find the plot is pretty weak.

#66 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

I've been reading Richard K. Morgan - The Steel Remains.

Its interesting, but I'd tend to recommend this authors Takeshi Kovacs novels unless you know what sort of content you are getting into. Not that it has outrageous in material, but it presents a main character that falls outside of standard social norms.

Wheel of Time is not all that bad to keep track of. While there are some slow books towards the end (and Sanderson makes a few of the characters seem a bit less dimensional) the series is still worth exploring. Maybe just start with book 1 and not worry about the full series length; there are several decently satisfying points to stop/pause.

#67 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

Going to start House of Leaves soon.

#68 Posted by Sursh (243 posts) -

@TheJohn said:

John Dies at the End by David Wong was pretty god-damned fun. Crazy drugs, unspeakable horrors, dumb violence and nifty humor made it a great, fast pallet cleanser to enjoy between tomes.

Also, Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter's collaboration The Long World is also good. More Baxter than Pratchett, but still something Pratchett fans should check out.

John Dies at the end. I got a reccomendation from a friend of mine, It was a fun read and I look forward to going back to it in the imminence of time.

#69 Edited by Sursh (243 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

Just finished Kushiel's Dart. Very much a slog until about halfway through and then it was a fantastic read.

Taking a break from that world for awhile though. Am rereading Brisingr so I can finally read the final book in the series. After that, I have several books on the list including Dune, Anna Dressed in Blood, and the first Game of Thrones book. So much to read, so little time...

Dune is great! But acknowledge that you won't get the science lingo that comes with recent sci fi novels. Last time I left off I was somewhere in House Of Atreides, I've held off from reading it because I don't actually own a physical copy of that book and I've been reading it on my computer. Some advice, don't read novels on a computer, it will not hold you for long, especially with my internet search toolbar staring at me, the compelling thought of being inches from infinite possibilities can be relatively distracting.

#70 Posted by Master_Funk (731 posts) -

Cloud atlas and life of pi ahead of the movies.

#71 Posted by Sursh (243 posts) -

@ozzdog12 said:

@Sursh: Everytime I see Dean Koontz,it reminds me of Californication Season 3....

Anyways on topic: Catching up on The Walking Dead. I'm on Volume 14 right now.

The only other book by Dean Koontz that I'm familiar with is "Sole Survivor", to which I hated in the end. But I'm still here giving him another shot, and enjoying it to be frank.

The Walking Dead, constant accomplices yelling in my ear too watch the show. I think I'll read the comic for the mental middle finger, thank you for the reminder!

#72 Edited by oneidwille (149 posts) -

Just finished "The Catcher in the Rye". I think that character is a little shit. I know the book is all about teen angst, alienation and shit, but seriously, fuck that guy.

#73 Edited by Sursh (243 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

i actually went on a search for this topic and could not come across any in the "recent" on Giant Bomb. Curiosity got the better of me. and you have to admit, this thread is a little upper class then some of the rudimentary bullshit on OT.

#74 Posted by Phyrlord (171 posts) -
#75 Posted by Kaiserreich (690 posts) -

I just finished "It" and have started on "For Whom the Bell Tolls."

"It" was good up until the underage sewer orgy.

#76 Posted by j0lter (226 posts) -
#77 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -

The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith for one of my classes

#78 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

I feel awful for my Kindle, its got no hardly any attention in about a year.

#79 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

Reading this on my iPhone 4S (Small screen I know but I like it)

#80 Edited by Brandino (249 posts) -

Is this specifically aimed towards normal books? Or does comic/graphic novels count? I don't really read books but i do comics/graphic novels. Currently i am reading

Invincible Compendium Volume 1 (Currently on issue #32) and The Walking Dead Book 7 (Currently on issue #89)

#81 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Snuff by Terry Pratchett. Sam Vimes is my favourite Discworld character, I'm not far in but I know the book will be great.

#82 Edited by dabe (299 posts) -

Fathers and Sons - Ivan Turgenev

The Hottest State - Ethan Hawke (the actor)

Total Recall - Movie Novelization...hilarious.

#83 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

I'm about halfway done with Infinite Jest

#84 Posted by Blackout62 (1336 posts) -

.... Hamlet

#85 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -
@oneidwille

Just finished "The Catcher in the Rye". I think that character is a little shit. I know the book is all about teen angst, alienation and shit, but seriously, fuck that guy.

FUCKING WORD
#86 Posted by Atlas (2435 posts) -

Gardens of the Moon, first book in Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series of fantasy novels. Canadian fantasy, y'all!

This is some fantasy-ass-fantasy, with wizards, gods, mystical forces, maybe the undead? All that stuff. Some of it kinda puts me off a little, but goddamn the book is seriously well written. The words just bounce off the page, and the story has a great flow to it. In A Song of Ice and Fire, you have to turn the page to see what crazy ass thing is going to happen to these wonderfully fleshed out and vivid characters. There's almost an urgency to it. In Gardens, it all just flows, gliding from page to page. There's real craft to that, and I admire it greatly.

#87 Posted by Nicked (247 posts) -

@wmaustin55 said:

Hey me too! I'm at footnote 235, however it's starting to drag a little and I'm not completely sure I'll finish it. It's been kind of a roller-coaster of a book because I'm finding it either really engaging or slow and boring.

#88 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

@Nicked said:

@wmaustin55 said:

Hey me too! I'm at footnote 235, however it's starting to drag a little and I'm not completely sure I'll finish it. It's been kind of a roller-coaster of a book because I'm finding it either really engaging or slow and boring.

Me too! At footnote 202 I believe. I've been having to read it on and off because it seems like every 75 pages or so there is a passage that just fucking RUINS me emotionally and I have to take a break from it.

Spoiler for page 380ish

The passage about the crack addict's fucking premature stillbirth was particularly fucked up.

#89 Posted by SarcasticMudcrab (157 posts) -

Against a dark background - Iain M. Banks.

Love all his stuff, Feersum Enjinn is the best book I've ever read.

#90 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

I picked up a Lovecraft collection, so that. Been in a horror movie/game/book mood lately. Why are there not more Lovecraft-inspired games? Eternal Darkness was so good in that way. Amensia comes pretty close, I guess. (I know there's that Cthulhu game, but I've heard such polarizing opinions on it- anyone know if it's worth it?).

#91 Posted by BrickRoad (702 posts) -

Recently read 'Nothing To Envy'. Pretty moving book really detailing some true stories from the DPRK. Not sure if has read it, or would even want to after his visit, but it is a great read.

#92 Posted by HisDudeness (252 posts) -

The Road. It's pretty amazing so far.

#93 Posted by DoctorTran (1549 posts) -

I'm trying to read Hope: A Tragedy by Shalom Auslander right now. The story is about this jewish man with a wife and son who move out to a small farming town kind of place. He buys an old farmhouse, moves his mother in (Who claims to have been in the war though she was too young to have been.) Rents the spare room out to a shitty tennant, and then on top of that finds out that an 80 some odd year old Anne Frank is living in his attic, working on her next book. So.... The story is interesting but Shalom Auslanders writing style is just... unusual. I'm not digging his style. 

#94 Posted by Funrush (70 posts) -

Catching Fire.

#95 Posted by joemarch (25 posts) -

Fight Club. About half way through and it's pretty good...but I shouldn't talk about it

#96 Posted by Hailinel (24255 posts) -

@dabe said:

Total Recall - Movie Novelization...hilarious.

Oh god, I remember reading that. That was just weird.

#97 Posted by AndrewBeardsley (371 posts) -

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

#98 Posted by Sbaitso (524 posts) -

Currently reading The Once and Future King, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and some Lovecraft. I need to get back to A Song of Ice and Fire too and get that all caught up, but I fell off of it halfway through A Feast for Crows.

#99 Posted by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell and Adapt: Why Success Always Starts with Failure by Tim Harford. I like to mix fact and fiction.

#100 Posted by Inkerman (1450 posts) -

Love the way its written, very descriptive.