• 127 results
#1 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

So next week I'm going to take my driver test. I've been studying out a driver book to make sure I get most answers right. I think I can do it right on my first try I hope so. Anyway when did you get your Drivers License and at what age, was the test hard or easy for you?

#2 Posted by JBird (489 posts) -

Failed once and ran out of money so haven't yet taken it twice. My advice would be to take the test in an area you know well. At the time it was logistically easier for me to take the test in a city I didn't know and in the "free driving" portion of the test I got in the wrong lane round a roundabout and was failed. Frustratingly for me the car in front had made the exact same error so at the time I thought I'd done the right thing! But these things happen! Good look buddy, hope you pass first time!

#3 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

@JBird said:

Failed once and ran out of money so haven't yet taken it twice. My advice would be to take the test in an area you know well. At the time it was logistically easier for me to take the test in a city I didn't know and in the "free driving" portion of the test I got in the wrong lane round a roundabout and was failed. Frustratingly for me the car in front had made the exact same error so at the time I thought I'd done the right thing! But these things happen! Good look buddy, hope you pass first time!

Thanks Man. I had some practice with my dad when I was a teen. I think I'm able to pass on my first try.

#4 Posted by Morningstar (2161 posts) -

Got mine at 18, which is the earliest you can get it here in Norway. It's 11 years ago............!

#5 Posted by theodacourt (535 posts) -

I think it's important to try and be relaxed. Being nervous means over thinking things and can lead to mistakes. Just know that you'll pass and if you've had enough lessons and practice you will.

#6 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

My first? What am I a terrible driver? Only need one 
18 is the age you have to be to get it here and believe it or not I've only had one. 

#7 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

I got mine at 17. I was motivated to be able to drive myself to the prom so I made sure I passed on the first try. That was a very long time ago...

#8 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

@theodacourt said:

I think it's important to try and be relaxed. Being nervous means over thinking things and can lead to mistakes. Just know that you'll pass and if you've had enough lessons and practice you will.

Thanks for the advice. I'm excited and nervous I just don't want to fail. I hope I can get everything finished in the end.

#9 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Tried at 16, failed horribly. Went back at 19 or 20 and passed with 0 mistakes.

#10 Edited by PenguinDust (12517 posts) -

I believe I got my permit at 16 and my license at 17. Where I live, they make you wait a full year after you get your permit to get your license. At least that applies to minors, I'm not sure how it works with adults getting their first license.

The written test wasn't hard, but I was a bit nervous during the diving test. I had been practicing parallel parking and three-point turns on a low-traffic street. Those were the ones that concerned me the most at the time. I suggest getting into a routine of buckling-up, adjusting your mirrors and checking all areas before heading out. I think that's one that my instructor marked me on. This is going back quite a few years, but I do remember that I did not ace it. However, I did pass and that was enough.

#11 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

For the people that already got there license. What type of car do you own? I was thinking of getting a cheap car if I pass the test. But that could be a very bad idea.

#12 Posted by CannonGoose (373 posts) -

I got mine three days before I turned 20 and I didn't have any trouble with the test.

#13 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@falserelic

For the people that already got there license. What type of car do you own? I was thinking of getting a cheap car if I pass the test. But that could be a very bad idea.

Just look around for a good deal and test drive before buying, some people will try to sell you a piece of shit that hardly works. My first car is some crappy sunfire, but I made sure it was in good shape. The guy gave me tons of receipts of work done to it within the past 5 years, I looked around in it, and took it for a test drive.
#14 Edited by PenguinDust (12517 posts) -

@falserelic: At the time I had a big ugly "land yacht" of a 1978 Mercury Marquis Brougham. That was the first and last big car I've owned. I've had nothing but 2-doors since. My original car was used (8 years old) and it got the job done. It was in fine working order and it was an automatic with power everything which wasn't the case with all new cars back then. If you're going to buy a cheap-o, make sure it's working fully. Personally, I think it might be a better idea to just borrow a car from a friend or family member. If that's not possible, then perhaps renting one for the day. Of course, you'll still need someone with a valid license to do the renting.

#15 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

Thanks for all you guys for letting me know about the driver experience. I'll keep all this in mind when I first start out driving.

#16 Posted by RobbieMac (535 posts) -

When I was 16, aced it. That was 7 years ago.

#17 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I'm just glad that where I live we don't have to do parallel parking.

#18 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

I got it at 17, despite receiving my permit at 15. I had no reason to drive, as my sister was still at home until my junior year of high school.

#19 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

@CL60 said:

I'm just glad that where I live we don't have to do parallel parking.

Doing parallel parking is going to be abit tricky for me.

#20 Posted by Adaurin (187 posts) -

Took it when I was 16, the only mistake I made was I was on a road I hadn't driven on before, there were two lanes that weren't labeled at all and I was in the wrong one; ended up having to go on the highway. For just that, the guy didn't pass me. Took it again in a month and aced it. This was in 1999.

#21 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (378 posts) -

I got my licence when I was 17 which was a very long time ago. Passed first time (yay), but it didn't cost me anything as my mother was a driving instructor. Unfortunately after getting my licence, my mom is my biggest critic whenever I give her a lift.

#22 Posted by Marmalade (192 posts) -

I believe I was 20 when I got my learner's permit. As for my license, I haven't tried to get it as I absolutely hate driving, it makes me get incredibly anxious.

#23 Edited by CaLe (3985 posts) -

I was 22 and was sure I failed as I slammed the brakes coming up to the first set of red lights. Luckily the rest of it went pretty smoothly and I passed. The theory test is simple and I got 50/50 in that. But I don't even drive so I dunno if it was worth spending the money on.. I figure if I am near a bank and some bank robbers throw me in a car and tell me to drive, I'll at least be able to do it. In that sense it was worth every penny.

#24 Posted by KarlPilkington (2729 posts) -

Age 19, fourth attempt.

#25 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

I got mine earlier this year, as I was 'bought' lessons. Not driven since though. I will say though, the operating of a car is easy -I accidentally took off in second gear on my test and didn't even realise as it was as smooth as normal - it's alll the other crazy fucks you gotta watch out foem

#26 Posted by Bantex (22 posts) -

Got it when i was 18 on my first attempt. The ice driving test was a blast as im sure everyone in Sweden that has taken the licence can agree on:)

Not sure if you got that test on your driving licence in other countries?

#27 Posted by Mister_V (1285 posts) -

Got mine at 17 on the second attempt. Failed the first one because some idiot in a BMW decided to play chicken with me on my test and i panicked and curbed it = Instant fail.

#28 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Haven't been able to pass the test.

I'm not going to tell you how old I am out of embarrassment.

#29 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Got it at 18. Almost failed. Driving stick is no joke.

#30 Posted by GnomeonFire (745 posts) -

When I was 18, failed the first time. All the best drivers do.

#31 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

Damn, hearing some of you guys failing the first time. Is starting to make me abit nervous now. My mom is giving me money to take the drivers test. I don't want to let her down for failing the test and waste her money. Recently I moved out of my bros crib. Because it was a piece of shit ghetto apartment complex, and when it got infested with bed bugs. I just said fuck it and asked my mom to move in with her.

She lives in a very nice Suburban city in a apartment. It definitely feels like I'm in a different world living here. But I can't go anywhere without a car. The only place I can go to is the gym that's by the apartment. But anyway she's helping me get my life in order.

#32 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I aced it the first time. Also aced my drivers test. Easy stuff.

#33 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

At 28, I never realised just how useful it was before that point.

#34 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Bantex

Got it when i was 18 on my first attempt. The ice driving test was a blast as im sure everyone in Sweden that has taken the licence can agree on:)

Not sure if you got that test on your driving licence in other countries?

Not where I live, where I live you drive for literally 7 minutes, then back into a parking spot and it's finished.
#35 Posted by BrainSonata (105 posts) -

Burnout Paradise.

#36 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Never got one, and probably never will if everything goes well. I cycle everywhere. Sure it works on the assumption I'll be successful enough that I can always live in the downtown core of whatever city I choose, but I'm willing to hedge my bets with my bike.

#37 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

@Frustration said:

Burnout Paradise.

I have that game on my ps3. I remember putting on custom music and just relaxing. While cruising in paradise, can't wait to do that in my car.

#38 Posted by Chango (516 posts) -

I think I was 19 or 20. I should have gone it as soon as I turned 16, but I tend to procrastinate quite a bit.

#39 Posted by green_sky (49 posts) -

I got mine at age of 18. One can get it here in Canada at age of 16 but even if i got one at that age i would not be driving. Insurance in Canada (Ontario) is ridiculously high.

#40 Posted by SSully (4186 posts) -

16, as was the normal age in the states, it may be different now.

My advice is to practice a lot. Ask your parents to let you drive whenever and whereever with them. I did great on my driving test because my Dad had me drive home from school with him almost everyday once I got my permit and also once a weekend to somewhere he had to go.

#41 Edited by ProfessorEss (7376 posts) -

1991 when I was 16. It was pretty easy except for the dreaded parallel park.

#42 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

To anyone what types of questions did they ask on the test? I Just want to know so I can be more familiar on what to expect.

#43 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@ProfessorEss

1991 when I was 16. It was pretty easy except for the dreaded parallel park.

So glad I live in a province that doesnt require that on the test. I would've failed for sure. I still can't do it.
#44 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

i think i was 21 or so. i drove before then, just not legally. and getting my license so late wasn't my fault. long story short, due to government beuracracy and such. i technically didn't exist. also ended up under investigation for identity theft...for my own identity.

kinda sucks when your whole life is messed up cus some clerk messed up some paper work. i still dont know if my birthday is actually my birthday or not. all my paperwork and records say different days. my parents swear it was one day, the birth certificate says another day, hospital records say another, social security says another.

took like 3 years to sort all that shit out and it completely messed my life up. but yeah, it caused me to be unable to get a drivers license for years. (also caused me not to receive my highschool diploma or be allowed to graduate even though i passed all the classes and everything)

#45 Posted by TooWalrus (13198 posts) -

I was living in New Zealand at the time, where I got my learners at 14 and 9 months. I learned to drive in an old station wagon. It was weird, because I learned on a right-hand drive, where I had to shift gears with my left hand, and drive on the left side of the road. Luckily I picked it up pretty quickly when I moved back to the states and never caught myself driving on the wrong side of the road.

#46 Posted by Echofoxz (98 posts) -

At 14 years old. In South Dakota, we let real young people drive (me included at the time).

#47 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

@Echofoxz said:

At 14 years old. In South Dakota, we let real young people drive (me included at the time).

Wow that is pretty young to get a license.

#48 Edited by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

I'm not sure so I'm gonna think this through, out loud. I got my permit around the time I turned 16, even though I could've gotten it at 15 and a half or something, which one of my friends did and we were both in the classes and stuff together. You had to have the permit for 6 months before taking the test (regardless of what age you were). And we both had the test on the same day which was right around his birthday, I either went right after him or right before him, I'm not sure. Either way we both passed. Only I can't remember when his birthday is, and I seem to remember taking the actual test during the summer, which would mean I would've taken at 17, but that seems like too long a gap between getting my permit and license. I don't remember it taking me a whole year for that.

Hmmm... I know I took the drivers ed in warm weather... Don't ask me why I remember that... OK it's because the girl who preceded me in the car was 19 or 20 and wore very thin, very small tank tops and apparently wasn't fond of bra's... A 16 year old boy notices these things! Hmmm... I also remember getting picked up for these lessons at my school, or walking to the drivers ed place after school.

I don't know. I'm all confused. The whole timeline is out of whack. I can't make sense of it. I'll blame the breasts.

I'm gonna say I was 16.

#49 Edited by falserelic (5437 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

I'm not sure so I'm gonna think this through, out loud. I got my permit around the time I turned 16, even though I could've gotten it at 15 and a half or something, which one of my friends did and we were both in the classes and stuff together. You had to have the permit for 6 months before taking the test (regardless of what age you were). And we both had the test on the same day which was right around his birthday, I either went right after him or right before him, I'm not sure. Either way we both passed. Only I can't remember when his birthday is, and I seem to remember taking the actual test during the summer, which would mean I would've taken at 17, but that seems like too long a gap between getting my permit and license. I don't remember it taking me a whole year for that.

Hmmm... I know I took the drivers ed in warm weather... Don't ask me why I remember that... OK it's because the girl who preceded me in the car was 19 or 20 and wore very thin, very small tank tops and apparently wasn't fond of bra's... A 16 year old boy notices these things! Hmmm... I also remember getting picked up for these lessons at my school, or walking to the drivers ed place after school.

I don't know. I'm all confused. The whole timeline is out of whack. I can't make sense of it. I'll blame the breasts.

I'm gonna say I was 16.

Those must have been some pretty nice breasts. For you to be that confused.

#50 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

@falserelic: They were... We were supposed to spend an hour in the car driving, and an hour watching someone else drive. I... I was 16. It wasn't her driving I was watching.