...so why do mods lock threads, as opposed to deleting them?

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By pirate_republic

Quick question: threads that breach the terms of use get locked, but why not delete them? Sometimes half of the first page is filled with locked topics that slowly reach the last page. (btw, do they just clog up the last page or are they automatically deleted once they hit rock bottom?)

The only practical purpose locking serves, as far as I can tell, is to preserve threads that someone may want to reference later. But 99.9% of locked threads are not reference worthy, so why bother?

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Bruce
@pirate_republic:

You'll find out soon enough!

Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Vision

From being a mod on other forums although GB's forums are quite different we usually locked threads instead of deleting them so people woulnd't lose their post-count.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

To let them stand as examples on how NOT to completely fuck up, for the most part.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By atejas

An example, I'd assume.

pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pirate_republic
@atejas said:
" An example, I'd assume. "
Is it really worth clogging up the page (especially on a slow-moving forum such as GB) just to show that mods are willing to lock spam topics?

EDIT: and how do they serve as examples? Most topic titles are reasonable enough, so you'd have to open the locked topic to find out how the person screwed up, and I certainly don't scour the first page, opening locked topics.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayge_
@pirate_republic said:
" @atejas said:
Is it really worth clogging up the page (especially on a slow-moving forum such as GB) just to show that mods are willing to lock spam topics? "
I think you've missed the point.
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pirate_republic
@Jayge: Clearly. Enlighten me. (EDIT: didn't mean to make that sound like a command lol)
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

How are the GiantBomb forums slow? Are there forums faster? I'm actually curious.

pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pirate_republic
@Agnogenic: For instance Gamespot in OT or System Wars: your post is off the first page in a few minutes if you don't get any replies, and if you do, you get a post every fifteen seconds or so.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_
@pirate_republic said:
" @Jayge: Clearly. Enlighten me. (EDIT: didn't mean to make that sound like a command lol) "
Well, I was wrong. You do get the point. You just ignore it because you don't go in locked threads :-P
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince
@pirate_republic said:
" @atejas said:
Is it really worth clogging up the page (especially on a slow-moving forum such as GB) just to show that mods are willing to lock spam topics?EDIT: and how do they serve as examples? Most topic titles are reasonable enough, so you'd have to open the locked topic to find out how the person screwed up, and I certainly don't scour the first page, opening locked topics. "
What do you mean slow moving sir?
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
@pirate_republic said:
" @Agnogenic: For instance Gamespot in OT or System Wars: your post is off the first page in a few minutes if you don't get any replies, and if you do, you get a post every fifteen seconds or so. "
Oh! I thought you meant loading times. Nevermind...
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pirate_republic
@LiquidPrince: Well, it's not slow moving at the moment, but some forums you get like ten replies in a couple seconds, and topics are made very fast (your post will be off the page in no time). I guess GB is getting more populated.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince
@pirate_republic said:
" @LiquidPrince: Well, it's not slow moving at the moment, but some forums you get like ten replies in a couple seconds, and topics are made very fast (your post will be off the page in no time). I guess GB is getting more populated. "
Nah, GB users just don't make new topics full of shityness, most of the time. It is getting more populated as you said though.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I do believe its because they still dont have the comprehensive tools to delete topics yet.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Well, deleting a topic is like posting on a topic then editing your post and deleting what u typed earlier without adding a EDIT sign to show it .. you know? its like, whats been said has been said and shouldnt disappear, it should stay there to be used later or whatever.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mike
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" I do believe its because they still dont have the comprehensive tools to delete topics yet. "
We've been able to delete threads for a very long time, since the first set of tools was introduced.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Xeiphyer

If its to preserve user post count that would make sense, but it would make even more sense to design the forums in such a way as to not change your post count when a thread is deleted.

Then again, if a thread is stupid enough to be deleted, any post you made in it probably isn't worthy of being counted.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By mike
@Xeiphyer said:

" If its to preserve user post count that would make sense, but it would make even more sense to design the forums in such a way as to not change your post count when a thread is deleted.Then again, if a thread is stupid enough to be deleted, any post you made in it probably isn't worthy of being counted. "

We don't really care about post count...and besides, deleting a thread does not automatically alter a user's post count anyway.

Personally, when making moderation decisions, I like to look at a user's post history and see what kind of stupid ass topics they've created and had locked in the past. Usually the only things that are deleted (or moved somewhere you can't see them) are threads that are very inappropriate or offensive. Sometimes spam threads are deleted as well, it's all on a case by case basis really.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

so people can read the thread. it also doesn't make a person lose his/her post count.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By jakob187

I'm just throwing this out there:  I don't like the way the new quoting setup looks.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By angelkanarias

who says they don't delete some of them?, I've had a couple of them deleted  just so nobody sees them

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By dethfish
@jakob187 said:
"I'm just throwing this out there:  I don't like the way the new quoting setup looks. "

There's a topic about that here.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25  Edited By natetodamax

Locked topics don't really clog of the forums.