• 65 results
#1 Posted by Cheesebob (1249 posts) -

After listening to Kush and I Need A Doctor, does anyone else feel like Dr Dre is completely outtdated in the current trend in rap? Think about it, since 2001 (an album which already showed the staleness of his music, personally)  Jay Z, OutKast, early Eminem, Kanye West and Big Boi himself have changed the rap to one of wit, awesome beats and skill. Not, as Dr Dre seems to think, how many bitches a person fucks, how much weed a person does or how many guns/ gang members there would be to back the person up. 

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Dr Dre. Hell The Chronic is a fantasitc album. But the sexism, drug abuse and violence seems to be a product of the 90s and it feels inaproriate during this time.

Put it another way, Dr Dre's new album is like Duke Nukem Forever. Desired, but instantly outtdated as a product of the 90s.

Sorry to rant, i just wonder if anybody else feels the same?

#2 Edited by MatPaget (1112 posts) -

Dude, you're just jealous because Dr. Dre has smoked way more weed, fucked way more bitches, and has way more guns than you!

#3 Posted by Pessh (2459 posts) -

Couldn't care less, more excited for Lasers.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -

Oh, did that thing come out? Rap, whatev's.

#5 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -

I had a similar reaction when Kush came out, because I thought that shit was played out. I liked I Need a Doctor a lot more, it had a lot more passion and maturity in its verses, even if Eminem dominated the track. I think that Dre has matured a lot over the years, and we definitely saw that with 2001 with songs like "The Message", "What's the Difference", "Forgot About Dre", and "Big Ego's". He mentioned the typical gangsta rap tropes on 2001, but he didn't touch on them nearly as much as he did in The Chronic. 2001 was more about the media backlash he received when he started to focus more on producing than it was about "gangsta shit". 

I may be in the minority here, but I eagerly await the arrival of Detox. 2001 is one of my favorite albums of all time for its visceral beats and lyricism, and I'd like to see more artists taking a darker approach to hip-hop while maintaining a solid and realistic message. I'm sick of happy-go-lucky hip-hop dominating the charts, we do indeed need a Doctor...

#6 Posted by christ0phe (946 posts) -
@Pessh: Once upon a time I was excited too...
#7 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6408 posts) -
@MatPaget said:
"Dude, you're just jealous because Dr. Dre has smoked way more weed, fucked way more bitches, and has way more guns than you! "

Goddamn straight.  This man preaches the truth.
#8 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Haven't had a chance yet to listen, but I thought this was funny:

#9 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I rarely listen to rap music, but when I do it's only the kind where the lyrics seem to mean something and isn't just about "fucking bitches" and shit like that. And from the sound of it I would fucking detest the record you describe.

#10 Posted by Ghostiet (5345 posts) -

I kinda feel he's been keeping it in the fridge for way too long. 2001 is a great album, because the beats and lyrics are good and the concept - Dre getting back to prove that he didn't lose his touch - worked very well.

#11 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

I hate to say this but it's 2011, and motherfuckers DID forget about Dre.

#12 Posted by marvin_martian (93 posts) -

Listening to Kush, and it is terrible.  Doctor on the other hand is 100% amazing.  Dre has never been the strongest rapper, he is best at producing songs and bringing together the right people for them.  And can you honestly say the direction rap has gone in the last 10 years is good?  Nas isn't that great anymore, and we have had an abundance of rappers bringing embarrassment to the name of rap.  The only ones seeming to be keeping it alive (mainstream of course, there are tons of awesome underground MCs) are Em, who has revived himself, and Lupe.  Jigga is much like Dre in that he is best at producing.

I have only really heard three songs off Detox, and am interested to hear the final product.

#13 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -
@MatPaget said:
" Dude, you're just jealous because Dr. Dre has smoked way more weed, fucked way more bitches, and has way more guns than you! "

My thoughts exactly.
#14 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4833 posts) -
@Pessh said:
" Couldn't care less, more excited for Lasers. "
I'm with you on this one. I like Dre and all, but I'm just not feeling his new stuff. However, i cannot wait for Lasers. I will on Amazon the minute it is available for download.
#15 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

It was delayed so many times that I totally forgot about it. 
I didn't like the singles and I mostly listen to underground music cause nowadays everything has to have a some sort of techno vibe to it. 

#16 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Did Dre's album already leak or what? From what I know, only his two singles are out.

#17 Posted by illmatic19 (964 posts) -

Detox won't be praised like his previous two albums. It'll have GT5 syndrome.

#18 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4860 posts) -

Things just ain't the same for gangsters.

#19 Posted by JEC03 (919 posts) -

That song Kush would be so much better without akon I can't stand that high voice auto tune guy.

#20 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3253 posts) -

I liked 2001, for sure. 

I haven't checked out the two new singles yet, but I'm sure I will soon. 

#21 Posted by ShadowKing7 (753 posts) -
@illmatic19 said:
"Detox won't be praised like his previous two albums. It'll have GT5 syndrome. "

Yeah, I could really see this happening. 

I'm gonna still probably get it, though, if it finally sees a release date, since I really like The Chronic and 2001.  Just gotta make sure to keep the hype in check so as to not have unrealistically high expectations.
#22 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i didn't know he still rapped. i thought he only produced music for other rappers out there. i don't listen to that kind of music.

#23 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -
@Cheesebob: Maybe saying he's "out of touch" as a rapper might be more accurate, but...you do realize that the Doctor has produced or co-produced at least half of Eminem's songs (including Relapse and Recovery), and most of Eminem's hits, right? 

Dre's still kicking out some of the best beats around. It's just no one gives a fuck about producer credits anymore. Producers and DJs used to be important, but now they're sort of ignored, with the focus on the rapper, despite the fact that said rapper might not even write all of his own lyrics. 

@marvin_martian: How far back are you going for "keeping it alive"? 2008 was a great year for albums, and I have 4 from that year alone in my meager collection (I only have about 20 albums total, but that's because I BUY all my own shit, and I buy CDs). 2009 wasn't too bad either. 

Also, Mos Def just dropped an album, and it's automatically good because Sean Price is featured on a track. 

I just don't like people acting like there aren't any good rappers anymore. Drake's really good, and he keeps it real. The guy grew up in the suburbs, and his raps reflect the fact that he doesn't have an inner city background. Wale is really good as well. I like Lil Wayne, although I'm not going to make a qualitative statement, since he's much more hit-or-miss. 

And: 
@I_smell said: 

" I hate to say this but it's 2011, and motherfuckers DID forget about Dre. "

#24 Posted by Tebbit (4486 posts) -
@Pessh said:
" Couldn't care less, more excited for Lasers. "
Now there's an album that's gonna be badass.
#25 Posted by billyhoush (1198 posts) -
#26 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

I didn't really like 2001, so I'm not expecting much from this either.

#27 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -
@Cheesebob:  

Considering that Dextox was supposed to come out in the late 90s, I doubt anyone is still expecting quality from it.
#28 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

Guys I don't mean to alarm you but it's not the 90's anymore. 

Rap is dead.

#29 Posted by Bucketdeth (8048 posts) -

Thought he was locked in a basement or something.

#30 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -
@Cheesebob: Right cause you've heard the album already? Kush was nothing special but the video for I need a doctor makes up for it. Kanye West has no rap skill so I don't even know where you got that argument. You can't call him outdated because of two singles, and with one of them being pretty good.
#31 Posted by ManMadeGod (1587 posts) -

quote from Dre: 

"It ("Kush") got leaked, it was a version of it that got leaked that I wasn't really happy about, so we are gonna go in push it and put it out because everyone seems to like it. Y'know I just thought, like, the content it's about weed smoking and I don't want people to think that's what my album is about, this is actually the only song with that type of content in it."    

#32 Posted by BjornTheUnicorn (358 posts) -

All I know is it's damn weird that we're living in a world where Duke Nukem Forever is coming out before Detox does.

#33 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm Oh, really? I didn't know because you don't like Kanye as a rapper he automatically has no rap skills.
#34 Posted by EVO (3942 posts) -
@Cheesebob said:
" 2001 (an album which already showed the staleness of his music, personally) "
Huh? 2001's a classic.
#35 Posted by Devil240Z (3442 posts) -

I personally feel like modern rap music has gone in a direction completely contrary to what it was in the late 80s early 90s. And the only stuff worth a damn are the few who try to capture that old school style, its only too sad that many of them are dying of natural causes. RIP Guru. 

I actually just listened to "The Chronic" and "2001" and them shits are still dope. 

#36 Posted by Devil240Z (3442 posts) -
@Cheesebob: Seems like you are arguing with yourself. 90s rap is good but if someone does that style they are dated.  

Have you listened to the shit they put out these days. Its awful. We need people like Dre who were around when rap was good to bring back the good music.
#37 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -
@yoshimitz707: It just so happens I like Kanye, he still has no rapping skills. Yes he's a good producer and is an important figure who releases great stuff but that don't mean he can rap. Just like Dr Dre...

#38 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:

" Things just ain't the same for gangsters. "

ice cube knows this all too well

#39 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

So I just watched the video for "I Need A Doctor", and Dre might be back. 

He doesn't just have to rap about gangster shit. I don't think he's been doing much illegal shit (besides smoking, of course) since his career really took off, since he's now financially comfortable and able to pursue something more of a passion for him. So I expect this to be more about the shit he's dealt with since he started rapping, rather than life on the streets when he was younger. I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Ah Hell, I'm calling it right now. This is going to be a great album, and I don't care what anyone says. People were saying the leaked songs were "overproduced" and shit. I guess they haven't listened to rap in the last 10 years. They'll find reasons to hate. People always do. I don't care. This is going to be good.

#40 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -
@example1013 said:
" So I just watched the video for "I Need A Doctor", and Dre might be back. "
I can't speculate on his career, but that video had some pretty egregious product placements. That shit with the TouchPad blew my mind.
#41 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -
@extremeradical said:
" @example1013 said:
I can't speculate on his career, but that video had some pretty egregious product placements. That shit with the TouchPad blew my mind. "
You think I care? Good on Dre. He's gettin' paid, brah.
#42 Edited by Skald (4370 posts) -
@example1013 said:

" @extremeradical said:

" @example1013 said:
I can't speculate on his career, but that video had some pretty egregious product placements. That shit with the TouchPad blew my mind. "
You think I care? Good on Dre. He's gettin' paid, brah. "
No, I just thought it was funny. Product placement has a tendency to come off that way.
#43 Edited by Example1013 (4807 posts) -
@extremeradical said:

" @example1013 said:

" @extremeradical said:

" @example1013 said:
You think I care? Good on Dre. He's gettin' paid, brah. "
No, I just thought it was funny. Product placement has a tendency to come off that way. "
Oh, alright. I'm not gonna lie, though, if I were Dr. Dre I'd be doing the same thing. He's big enough that, if he wanted to, he probably could skip all the ad shit if they tried to censor him, which means it's just for extra cash. Plus, some of those products (gatorade) are actually good. 

EDIT: so as in it makes a ton of sense to me. Kind of amusing, though, yes.
#44 Posted by Hooded (438 posts) -

Hip Hop and Rap have changed big since 2001 and Dre's shit may not fit in todays Hip Hop, but i'm sure once the album comes out it will change and mould hip hop some to find space. Lasers will be good also but Lil Waynes next album will kill them all, not just because I think he is better than both Dre and Lupe, but he is HOT right now. So Carter 4 or whatevers next for Lil Wayne will be big.

#45 Edited by Cheesebob (1249 posts) -
@ManMadeGod:  Really? I never knew he said that. Disregard this topic completely...if there is a link to it.  

@EVO:  2001 wasn't dope, it had some awesome singles off of it (Next Episode, Still D.R.E.) but something about it felt tired and a bit boring. Also the majority of 2001 was ghost written by other people AND it once against suffered from the lack of Snoop Dogg in the second half of the album, just like The Chronic did. If Detox once again follows that patten, then Dre is outtdated.

@example1013:  He did Relapse, which had okish beats in it (even then the best song on that album was produced by Eminem) and Recovery was produced by Eminem himself. So take from that what you will.
#46 Posted by AgentMOO (183 posts) -

I wasn't a big fan of the two singles he put out, but I'll give dre the benefit of the doubt to take the time to put together a quality album. The Chronic and Chronic 2001 are two of my all time favorites

#47 Posted by Gahathat (161 posts) -

I'm definitely a fan. 

#48 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -
@Cheesebob: Dr. Dre helped produce a song or two on Recovery.
#49 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

Kush sounds pretty good, but Dre looks creepy.

#50 Posted by dogbox (464 posts) -

Really like Kush; don't like I Need A Doctor at all. Hate the new Eminem sound, and, well, I Need A Doctor is pretty much 100% an Eminem song. I guess songs like Kush are 'played' in a way...but do you really want to see Dr. Dre attempt mature raps about politics, race relations, and shit like that? I don't.