#1 Posted by Apocralyptic (164 posts) -

Does anyone else ever get PMs from people advertising video game writing jobs? About once a month or so I get a message from someone claiming that they've read my stuff on the site and would like me to apply for a (usually non-paying) position. Typically they're sites I've never heard of, although they look somewhat legitimate (i.e. not a total scam).

Has anyone ever checked one of these out? I would assume that if you want a real job writing gaming reviews and analysis, it's a bit tougher than getting a random message from some unknown user on GB. Maybe someone who is an actual paid writer could comment?

#2 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

no, but i DO get texts saying i could make a claim on my recent accident every week. and i've not had any accidents.

make's me think they know something i don't

#3 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

I've never gotten one of those messages, but I don't write about games much.

#4 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

A Nigerian Prince specifically chose me to house all his money he needed to hide. He was a nice guy. I mean he did accidentally take out all my money from my account instead of putting his in, but he tells me he will fix that up in a few days.

#5 Posted by OldGuy (1557 posts) -

Somebody wants me to be the Financial Manager for their overseas company. The only qualifications are "no entanglements with the law and a bank account! Then I just sent out invoices to collect money in my account to forward to their account less a10% commission. Woo!

#6 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Never!

#7 Posted by psylah (2177 posts) -

If it goes through the site, let know, since it could be a spam issue. Don't want people getting spam from geocities fansites to work for them for free.

#8 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -

You should accept and become the greatest video game writer the world's ever known.

#9 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

you guys dont know how lucky i am. some dude died in nigeria. and he has noone to claim his millions of dollars. so they chose me to keep it!. im fucking rich! all i gotta do is send a few thousand dollars over to them first for processing and what not. heading to the bank now! cya suckers later!!!!!

#10 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

The only pm's I ever get are ladies letting me know about their nekid pictures. Must be because I'm so handsome and charming.

#11 Posted by Maajin (1063 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

A Nigerian Prince specifically chose me to house all his money he needed to hide. He was a nice guy. I mean he did accidentally take out all my money from my account instead of putting his in, but he tells me he will fix that up in a few days.

Goddamn those complicated banking websites, right? Same thing happened to me.

#12 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

You made me laugh.

#13 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

That's Jeff sending those PMs. He's looking for an apprentice to take his place while he launches his political campaign.

"Gerstmann 2016 - Because fuck you guys, I'mma be presidenting all over your faces."

#14 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

I get one of those like every week. Super annoying.

#15 Posted by MikeinSC (910 posts) -

@Apocralyptic said:

Does anyone else ever get PMs from people advertising video game writing jobs? About once a month or so I get a message from someone claiming that they've read my stuff on the site and would like me to apply for a (usually non-paying) position. Typically they're sites I've never heard of, although they look somewhat legitimate (i.e. not a total scam).

Has anyone ever checked one of these out? I would assume that if you want a real job writing gaming reviews and analysis, it's a bit tougher than getting a random message from some unknown user on GB. Maybe someone who is an actual paid writer could comment?

A few. I don't have the time to do it.

#16 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I've never gotten a spam mail on this site ever.

#17 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1876 posts) -

I've gotten a few of these messages before. A long time ago it landed me a position working alongside EpicSteve at a site he was working on but which quickly shut down in favor of blogging on GiantBomb. Another one I got a few years back got me some unpaid working experience at a fan site which helped out with my resume when it came time to get a paying job. Not all of them are scams but be careful and do your research if you choose to accept one of these offers.

#18 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Apparently I can watch the Cowboys streaming live, now?

#19 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

I've never received one. Even the spammers don't want to hang out with me :'(

#20 Posted by Dimsey (954 posts) -

I've got a couple and they seemed legit, but I'm not that great a writer so kinda sparing myself and the sites in question the hassle.

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

People tell me I should consider getting paid for what I write on my blogs, so close enough?

#22 Posted by Apocralyptic (164 posts) -

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'll keep an eye out for those Nigerian princes.