Somali pirates get what they want -and more....

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OmegaPirate

Just found a random piece of news i found quite ironic, its about those piraate guys that were hijacking supertankers and holding them ransom - read on :-.

Somalia -- Somali pirates released a Saudi supertanker seized in the world's biggest ship hijacking for a $3-million ransom Friday, but five drowned when their boat capsized as they were making off with their share.

The capture of the Sirius Star and its $100-million cargo of crude in November drew attention to a surge in piracy off Somalia that has brought global navies rushing to protect one of the world's most important shipping lanes.

Farah Osman, an associate of the pirates speaking from Harardhere port near where the tanker was held, said the gang wanted more money but finally agreed to accept $3 million. 

A regional maritime group confirmed the ship's release.

"The last batch of gunmen have disembarked from the Sirius Star. She is now steaming out to safe waters," said Andrew Mwangura of the East African Seafarers Assistance Program, based in the Kenyan port of Mombasa.

Osman said the gang argued over how to split the ransom money, then at least five were drowned in rough waters that engulfed one of the boats that left the Saudi ship.

"Five of the first eight pirates who took their share of the ransom from the Saudi ship died after their boat capsized," he said.

"Two of them swam and survived. One is still missing. The weather was so terrible that it blew the boat over, then sank it. We got five dead bodies, and we are still searching for the missing one. The waves were disastrous."

The Sirius Star was captured in November with 25 crew members, about 500 miles east of Kenya, in the boldest seizure to date by Somali pirates.

There was no immediate comment from Vela International, the shipping arm of Saudi Aramco, which operates the ship. The Sirius was heading south, possibly to anchor off Mombasa for resupplying or to go on to South Africa, Mwangura said.

The rampant piracy off Somalia worsened dramatically in 2008 while an Islamist insurgency fueled chaos ashore.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Paying terrorists is about the stupidest thing ever, this is only going to encourage them to hijack more ships.  I'm so glad the United States has a firm policy of not negotiating with scum like this.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By serbsta
MB said:
"Paying terrorists is about the stupidest thing ever, this is only going to encourage them to hijack more ships.  I'm so glad the United States has a firm policy of not negotiating with scum like this."
The United States doesn't negotiate with scum?!

I beg to differ!
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Captain_Insano

Pirates always win

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By mike
serbsta said:
"MB said:
"Paying terrorists is about the stupidest thing ever, this is only going to encourage them to hijack more ships.  I'm so glad the United States has a firm policy of not negotiating with scum like this."
The United States doesn't negotiate with scum?!

I beg to differ!"

Oh stop, worry about your own country for once.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Rowr

so they "capsized" huh.

Im sure it was completely accidental....

jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By jimbojones

God striked the. God sees everything and what these pirates were doing was wrong. So he the striked em

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Kazona

We need some ninjas!