Some computer help please!

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yukoei

So today I was talking to a friend and he sent me a file, i clicked on it and the screen went blue then rebooted it then repeated everytime i get to the windows XP screen it flashes blue then reboots.

I have tried putting in my windows XP disc to re-install but its not showing up.

What should I do?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Your computer is gonna die soon yo. Motherboard, hard drive, whatever; something is failing. Welcome to the Blue Screen Of Death.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

First thing i would do would be to get rid of that file, if you can, then do an extensive virus check immediately.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yukoei
@super_mario_john said:
" First thing i would do would be to get rid of that file, if you can, then do an extensive virus check immediately. "
Cant get into windows.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By JJOR64
@Yukoei: If you can't get into Windows, I think you are shit out of luck.
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yukoei
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" Your computer is gonna die soon yo. Motherboard, hard drive, whatever; something is failing. Welcome to the Blue Screen Of Death. "

Karma is a bitch.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

What was the file anyway? You gotta be careful with things that can be a possibility. Go talk to your friend and ask what happened to him when he had a file. Did he have a mac?

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Tap F8 while rebooting and try to boot into safe mode. If that doesn't get you in you're looking at a reinstall.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yukoei
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" What was the file anyway? You gotta be careful with things that can be a possibility. "
I dont know my friend sent it to me so trusting him I clicked it, it was called Xpower generator or sumthing i dunno.
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Black_Raven

It might be worth trying to boot in safe mode, and don't forget to punch your friend in the face.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yukoei
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
"  Tap F8 while rebooting and try to boot into safe mode. If that doesn't get you in you're looking at a reinstall. "
Tried but how do i reinstall if i put in the disc and nothing happens?
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Black_Raven
@Yukoei said:
" @SuperfluousMoniker said:
"  Tap F8 while rebooting and try to boot into safe mode. If that doesn't get you in you're looking at a reinstall. "
Tried but how do i reinstall if i put in the disc and nothing happens? "
you should be able to launch the boot selection menu during the POST and boot from your disk drive, the button you press depends on your BIOS type but it should be F9 or F8 or something like that.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By rjayb89

Man, your friend is an asshole.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By OutOfBounds9000
@Yukoei said:
" So today I was talking to a friend and he sent me a file, i clicked on it and the screen went blue then rebooted it then repeated everytime i get to the windows XP screen it flashes blue then reboots.  I have tried putting in my windows XP disc to re-install but its not showing up.  What should I do? "
Welcome to hell.

Its Blue Screen Of Death.Your computers gonna die.Sorry =(

R.I.P Yukoei's crappy computer,you will be missed =(
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yukoei
@OutOfBounds9000 said:
" @Yukoei said:
" So today I was talking to a friend and he sent me a file, i clicked on it and the screen went blue then rebooted it then repeated everytime i get to the windows XP screen it flashes blue then reboots.  I have tried putting in my windows XP disc to re-install but its not showing up.  What should I do? "
Welcome to hell.   Its Blue Screen Of Death.Your computers gonna die.Sorry =(  R.I.P Yukoei's crappy computer,you will be missed =( "
It wasnt crappy :( gaming PC
empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By empfeix

you can change the boot order (usually it's delete when booting up to enter BIOS) 

make it so your it checks your cd-rom first before your harddrive - then when you reboot with windows XP in the drive it will boot the disc and run 

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Black_Raven
@Yukoei said:
" @OutOfBounds9000 said:
" @Yukoei said:
Welcome to hell.   Its Blue Screen Of Death.Your computers gonna die.Sorry =(  R.I.P Yukoei's crappy computer,you will be missed =( "
It wasnt crappy :( gaming PC "
I wouldn't worry too much, I'm assuming you've never had this problem before, and the fact that it happened right when you clicked a suspiciously named file would suggest it's not a hardware fault.
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Yukoei
@Black_Raven said:

" @Yukoei said:

you should be able to launch the boot selection menu during the POST and boot from your disk drive, the button you press depends on your BIOS type but it should be F9 or F8 or something like that. "
This is a similar start screen to mine -

No Caption Provided

Could you take me step by step what to select?
JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

This isn't the best video tutorial ever, but it will point you in the right direction.  If windows has been corrupted, then the only option is to delete the existing partition and start from scratch.  You're going to lose all of the data on the computer by doing this, but once it's done the computer will run like new again.  And if this doesn't work, this is truly a perfect time to buy a new computer.  No matter if you're into Mac's or PC's, there is a bunch of new and exciting stuff that has just come out.    
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@Black_Raven said:
" @Yukoei said:
" @OutOfBounds9000 said:
" @Yukoei said:
I wouldn't worry too much, I'm assuming you've never had this problem before, and the fact that it happened right when you clicked a suspiciously named file would suggest it's not a hardware fault. "
But I question one thing, how would your "friend" not get his comp fucked up with that? Mac?
empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By empfeix

ya follow super mario john - mario will never lead you astray

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yukoei
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" @Black_Raven said:
" @Yukoei said:
" @OutOfBounds9000 said:
" @Yukoei said:
I wouldn't worry too much, I'm assuming you've never had this problem before, and the fact that it happened right when you clicked a suspiciously named file would suggest it's not a hardware fault. "
But I question one thing, how would your "friend" not get his comp fucked up with that? Mac? "
Because you gotta click on it.
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Yukoei
@super_mario_john said:

"   

This isn't the best video tutorial ever, but it will point you in the right direction.  If windows has been corrupted, then the only option is to delete the existing partition and start from scratch.  You're going to lose all of the data on the computer by doing this, but once it's done the computer will run like new again.  And if this doesn't work, this is truly a perfect time to buy a new computer.  No matter if you're into Mac's or PC's, there is a bunch of new and exciting stuff that has just come out.     "
Question - After this should I buy a new copy of Windows 7 ultimate or stick with XP?
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Black_Raven
@Yukoei said:

" @Black_Raven said:

" @Yukoei said:

you should be able to launch the boot selection menu during the POST and boot from your disk drive, the button you press depends on your BIOS type but it should be F9 or F8 or something like that. "

No Caption Provided
Could you take me step by step what to select? "
 Do you have the motherboard manual? because if you did it'll tell you. If you don't its not a big deal though, what you should do is press tab to switch to the POST screen and it should say somewhere on the screen what key to press to enter the boot selection screen, if it doesn't then simply guess and if it doesn't work reboot and try a different key, like I said it will most likely be F8 or F9. If that fails then you can always enter the BIOS setup and change the boot priority to your CD drive.

for that last bit, just search through your BIOS menu if you don't know where the boot priority setting is, it shouldn't be hard to find.
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Yukoei
@Black_Raven said:
" @Yukoei said:

" @Black_Raven said:

" @Yukoei said:

No Caption Provided
 Do you have the motherboard manual? because if you did it'll tell you. If you don't its not a big deal though, what you should do is press tab to switch to the POST screen and it should say somewhere on the screen what key to press to enter the boot selection screen, if it doesn't then simply guess and if it doesn't work reboot and try a different key, like I said it will most likely be F8 or F9. If that fails then you can always enter the BIOS setup and change the boot priority to your CD drive. "
Will I lose all my data when reinstalling? and is it worth just installing Windows 7?
JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire
@Yukoei: I haven't used 7 yet, but from what I understand Windows 7 has this thing called "XP Mode" that will let you run a virtual XP machine on you Windows 7 computer.  I don't know how well it works, but that might be a solution for you in this case.
Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ubiquitous
@Yukoei said:
"@super_mario_john said:

"   

This isn't the best video tutorial ever, but it will point you in the right direction.  If windows has been corrupted, then the only option is to delete the existing partition and start from scratch.  You're going to lose all of the data on the computer by doing this, but once it's done the computer will run like new again.  And if this doesn't work, this is truly a perfect time to buy a new computer.  No matter if you're into Mac's or PC's, there is a bunch of new and exciting stuff that has just come out.     "
Question - After this should I buy a new copy of Windows 7 ultimate or stick with XP? "

Just try reinstalling XP. You can always do it again, but you should make sure that there isn't anything wrong with your hardware.
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Black_Raven
@Yukoei said:
" @Black_Raven said:
" @Yukoei said:

" @Black_Raven said:

" @Yukoei said:

Do you have the motherboard manual? because if you did it'll tell you. If you don't its not a big deal though, what you should do is press tab to switch to the POST screen and it should say somewhere on the screen what key to press to enter the boot selection screen, if it doesn't then simply guess and if it doesn't work reboot and try a different key, like I said it will most likely be F8 or F9. If that fails then you can always enter the BIOS setup and change the boot priority to your CD drive. "
Will I lose all my data when reinstalling? and is it worth just installing Windows 7? "
unless you back up all your data you will. What I do when I'm in your situation is use the Ubuntu live CD to run Ubuntu without making any changes to my PC, then when I'm in Ubuntu I can access all my data off my windows partition and back it up on an external hard drive.
empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By empfeix
@Black_Raven said:
" @Yukoei said:
" @Black_Raven said:
" @Yukoei said:

" @Black_Raven said:

" @Yukoei said:

Will I lose all my data when reinstalling? and is it worth just installing Windows 7? "
unless you back up all your data you will. What I do when I'm in your situation is use the Ubuntu live CD to run Ubuntu without making any changes to my PC, then when I'm in Ubuntu I can access all my data off my windows partition and back it up on an external hard drive. "
That is a great way to access your data.  I prefer to create a separate partition for Windows so I don't lose anything.
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Yukoei
@empfeix said:
" @Black_Raven said:
" @Yukoei said:
" @Black_Raven said:
" @Yukoei said:

" @Black_Raven said:

" @Yukoei said:

unless you back up all your data you will. What I do when I'm in your situation is use the Ubuntu live CD to run Ubuntu without making any changes to my PC, then when I'm in Ubuntu I can access all my data off my windows partition and back it up on an external hard drive. "
That is a great way to access your data.  I prefer to create a separate partition for Windows so I don't lose anything. "
Baah! Too many hoops to jump through I might as well start fresh and reinstall all my games. No important files there.
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Black_Raven
@empfeix said:
" @Black_Raven said:
" @Yukoei said:
" @Black_Raven said:
" @Yukoei said:

" @Black_Raven said:

" @Yukoei said:

That is a great way to access your data.  I prefer to create a separate partition for Windows so I don't lose anything. "
I would do that but I dont have enough room on my internal hard drive, though I'm thinking Yukoei could avoid all that by doing a repair install instead of a complete reinstall of windows, chances are it will fix the problem and all his data will be intact.
empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By empfeix

lol you sound like a console gamer

Dragonseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Dragonseer

No one has mentioned system restore - better to try that before formatting.  You should really have a linux cd, like the Ubuntu disk, this will boot up from a disk and you can look at all the files on your hardrive, do backups, whatever.  Get your friend to download Ubuntu and burn it to disk before you nuke your HD

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Black_Raven
@Dragonseer said:
" No one has mentioned system restore - better to try that before formatting.  You should really have a linux cd, like the Ubuntu disk, this will boot up from a disk and you can look at all the files on your hardrive, do backups, whatever.  Get your friend to download Ubuntu and burn it to disk before you nuke your HD "
Do you mean a repair install? Unless I'm getting names mixed up isn't system restore a function you need to be booted into windows to use?
Dragonseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By Dragonseer
@Black_Raven: Should be an option when you boot from the XP disk. 

Edit:  My bad, you need to do it from a command prompt when you can't get into windows, of course you can do it from the XP disc but it is a bit technical - i.e. with admin rights run   %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe.
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Yukoei

Thanks everyone! Problem solved!

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Black_Raven
@Yukoei said:
" Thanks everyone! Problem solved! "
So what was wrong?
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By OutOfBounds9000
@Yukoei said:
" @OutOfBounds9000 said:
" @Yukoei said:
Joking.Im sorry,but it is gonna die if you dont find a tut and fix it.
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By OutOfBounds9000
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" @Black_Raven said:
" @Yukoei said:
" @OutOfBounds9000 said:
" @Yukoei said:
But I question one thing, how would your "friend" not get his comp fucked up with that? Mac? "
Please dont say Mac.Mac sucks.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By breadfan

What did your friend send you?   

He must have some idea that it would ruin your computer.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By Out_On_Bail

It's possible he didn't mean to send it to you, perhaps he was phished and the hacker used his email to send the virus/trojan/whatever out to his friends. That's a pretty common tactic by hackers. It's a possibility.