• 63 results
#1 Edited by EpicSteve (6483 posts) -

I'm a little reserved to check out Kickstarter pages, but this is the brand of dumb I think Giant Bomb would appreciate existing.

I suggest you read this news story. But it's essentially about a dude that drives around a creepy van collecting VHS copies of Speed. Right now, he has over 500 copies. He also has some random Laser Disc copies.

#2 Edited by Nightriff (5036 posts) -

I know my parents have a copy somewhere in the basement, unfortunately I live in another state and I'm not going to call them to ship me a VHS tape so I ship it to some wacko.

EDIT: And he lives in the state I currently reside....great...

#3 Posted by Spoonman671 (4606 posts) -

That's weird.

#4 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Is he going to construct a bus out of the VHS tapes?

#5 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I love it. I want a documentry produced on this adventure. it will be the new "Into the Wild".

#6 Posted by PimblyCharles (1387 posts) -

This is by far one of the dumbest things I've seen in a while, and this is coming from a frequent GB user... so yeah... really dumb.

#7 Edited by believer258 (11816 posts) -

He's probably on speed, judging from that interview.

#8 Posted by Bones8677 (3232 posts) -

This sure is dumb. I love it.

#9 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Whoa!

Huh, I wonder if my family copy is still around here.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Zero to pun in about ten posts. That was....fast.

#11 Edited by Young_Scott (85 posts) -

Requisite Father Ted clip.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11816 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Zero to pun in about ten posts. That was....fast.

I wanted to get that in before someone else did, so I had to be quick.

#13 Posted by Jimbo (9804 posts) -

Will the creepy van explode if he goes a day without finding another copy? I sure hope so.

#14 Edited by ShaggE (6429 posts) -

The thought has crossed my mind in the past that I'd like to own the largest amount of Ghost Dad novelizations allowed by law and/or basic human decency (a little less than 6,000), so I support this madness.

#15 Edited by fisk0 (4040 posts) -

Sometimes I kinda consider doing this for all copies of the game Tunnel B1, possibly expanding the collection to all mediocre B/C-tier action games of the 90's. I do own three copies of Tunnel B1 so far .. so, yeah. Don't get me wrong, it's a mediocre, maybe even kinda bad game. But I love the cover art and the general atmosphere in it.

#16 Posted by Dalai (7020 posts) -

It might be easier to try to collect all the VHS copies of Speed 2: Cruise Control because there's like maybe a dozen copies out there.

#17 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Seems like something a normal, well-adjusted person would do.

#18 Posted by Vuud (1961 posts) -

Talk about having way too much time on your hands.

Use that time to learn violin or something, jackass.

#19 Posted by bluefish (447 posts) -

What a great movie.

Seriously. It holds up stupidly well.

#20 Posted by noizy (662 posts) -

So he's asking people to pay for his car repair bill, but in a way that people find funny.

#21 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

@vuud said:

Talk about having way too much time on your hands.

Use that time to learn violin or something, jackass.

Does the violin explode if you don't play it fast enough?

#22 Posted by Butler (384 posts) -

That guy has nothing on Everything is Terrible. They collected over 8,000 copies of Jerry Maguire.

#23 Posted by HatKing (5900 posts) -

Seems like a missed opportunity to not just ask for 2,525.

Also, I kind of thought I was going to hate this, but the guy actually seems genuine. So, I guess I'll keep an eye out for copies of Speed? Seems like he'll probably make his goal.

#25 Posted by GunstarRed (5128 posts) -

I will never part with my VHS copy of Speed. If you fast forward to after the credits there's a Billy Idol music video.

#26 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2062 posts) -

Finally Kickstarter has realized its full potential

#27 Posted by kasumi_geist (30 posts) -

*hugs VHS copy of Speed close to chest*

#28 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

If he also acquired the means to play each copy simultaneously, it'd probably solve that problem we have with displaying every image ever.

#29 Posted by Hailinel (24429 posts) -

Pullman, Washington.

Only in the home of Washington State University can something this dumb/insane actually be put into action.

#30 Edited by Random45 (1161 posts) -

Man, the way he throws those tapes around makes me cringe.

#31 Edited by Sinusoidal (1429 posts) -

Good luck with that. I live in Korea, and I've seen VHS copies of Speed sitting in the lounges of cheap motels which often have a wide selection of 80s and 90s action movies you can take to your room and watch for free.

#32 Posted by Animasta (14677 posts) -

@shagge said:

The thought has crossed my mind in the past that I'd like to own the largest amount of Ghost Dad novelizations allowed by law and/or basic human decency (a little less than 6,000), so I support this madness.

this would be a good thread, if you collected one singular completely random thing what would it be

I can't think of mine but it's a good thought exercise

#33 Edited by ripelivejam (3818 posts) -

If he also acquired the means to play each copy simultaneously, it'd probably solve that problem we have with displaying every image ever.

maybe that's what the Entertainment is

#34 Posted by freakin9 (1113 posts) -

I don't have the heart to tell him VHS is an obsolete format.

#35 Posted by CorruptedEvil (2727 posts) -

A few years ago Everything is Terrible started to collect VHS copies of Jerry Maguire and they now have 6633 copies of it. Obviously it will be harder to get every copy of Speed because they made a lot more, but the principles the same.

#36 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3224 posts) -

Let me know when there's a kickstarter for collecting Speed 2.

"This boat is moving too FAST!"

#37 Posted by Sinusoidal (1429 posts) -

Halloween 2001 I gutted 12 VHS tapes, duct taped all the innards to myself such that no part of my person was visible and went to a university music department party blitzed out of my mind on various substances. One of the tapes may have been speed.

#38 Posted by LiquidPrince (15918 posts) -

"If a copy is more then $4, I'll just steal it" - Speed Collector Dude

That's hilarious.

#39 Posted by fetchfox (1260 posts) -

He sounds (in)sane, best of luck to him! I actually feel like throwing him a buck just to see to if he goes through with the project...

#40 Edited by JoeyRavn (4970 posts) -

If this what about Speed 2, I would fund it immediately. But since it's about Speed, I can't give two fucks about it.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen either movie in a very long time, and this is by no means a declaration of the quality of the aforementioned motion pictures.

#41 Posted by crithon (3138 posts) -

I just gave my copy away in order to move across to california.

#42 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

He's not getting mine.

#43 Edited by dudeglove (7775 posts) -

#44 Posted by Reisz (1483 posts) -

Can't be done. At least one copy has been destroyed. I witnessed it first hand.

It was a hot Australian November in the year 1996; A young boy sits in the backroom of his home, watching MA 15+ movies with his friends in celebration of his recent birthday. One of the films? Point Break. Now, as is the want of adolescent boys, a rigorous frame by frame investigation of the house raid scene in Point Break was undertaken. As any boy who grew up with a VCR knows, If you pause and play a video cassette too frequently it can have a negative effect on the structural integrity of the tape's magnetic strip. This causes visual artifacts on screen and stress to the internal components of the VCR. This would be the last film that my reliable old JVC would ever play to completion. After the raid scene and a second more intimate scene featuring one Lori Petty were thoroughly investigated, Point Break was finished and the next tape in the stack was unceremoniously shoved into the player. Little did we know that would be the last time that Civic-Video owned copy of SPEED would ever see the light of day intact. Wracked from torturous stop-starting and years of sitting on top of a 17" CRT in the sun, that old JVC absolutely chewed the ever loving hell out of that poor cassette, it was like the tape had been eviscerated, it's celluloid innards spilling onto the floor in a torrential downpour of pure terror. Obviously as you would expect the three eleven year olds in the room panicked. We automatically assumed that we'd destroyed private property, would be held accountable and the police would be at our doorstep in no time at all.

I remember telling my Mum I sat on the VCR, the check out guy at Civic didn't even charge us a return fee, "happens all the time to popular tapes" he said. That Christmas Mum bought a new VCR for herself and I got the family room unit. I learned my lesson though, "I'll never stop start another tape again" I swore, until one day I rented Under Siege and the cycle started anew.

#45 Posted by SteamRickroller (310 posts) -

Requisite Father Ted clip.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES

#46 Edited by audioBusting (1511 posts) -
Probably the best thing about this dumb project.

#47 Posted by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

a normal, well-adjusted person

what is that?

#48 Posted by MattyFTM (14371 posts) -

I used to own Speed on VHS. Speed 2, too. But they were lost in a house fire. I'd totally have given this guy them.

#49 Posted by dudeglove (7775 posts) -

@butler said:

That guy has nothing on Everything is Terrible. They collected over 8,000 copies of Jerry Maguire.

They also contributed heavily to the spike in people watching Gary Busey's Bulletproof on Netflix