#1 Edited by Drekly (158 posts) -

Hey all!

I love watching people play games, especially if said people are interesting to listen to.

I'm looking for some recommendations in the spirit of informative LP'ers like Chip/Ironicus, Slowbeef/Diabetus, the kind of dry wit rather than HEY IM PLAYING A GAME LOlololOLololfart.

Enlighten me, duders!

Edit: If anyone is looking for some also, I suggest OverTheGun (terrible at games but hilarious) and UnPlayedAThing (the most chilled out dude, ever.)

#2 Edited by OtakuGamer (1226 posts) -
  1. The Achievement Hunter/Rooster Teeth crew is always fun to watch.
  2. Northernlion is a good watch if you like watching someone play challenging platformers/rougelike games.
  3. Day9tv has been doing some lets plays as of recent, funny guy.
  4. If you like watching fighting games, check out Miles923 also known as Maximilian.
  5. If you like watching Total War battles, robinhood2109 and HeirofCarthage is the go to for that.
  6. TotalBiscuit's Hearthstone videos are fun if your into CCGs.
  7. The AuZZie Gamer has done some really fun and informative Hitman let's plays.
#3 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Informative with dry wit? You're lookin' for supergreatfriend, my friend.

I suggest his Ill Bleed Let's Play as that game is ridiculous.

#4 Posted by BBAlpert (1426 posts) -

SuperGreatFriend is generally extremely thorough in his LPs, and very entertaining. Even if you've seen the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run(s), you might want to watch his LP, as he shows off a whole bunch of stuff that neither ER pair found (such as a sequence of sidequests where York tries to help Emily learn how to cook).

He also does a weekly livestream and a recurring segment featuring the "wonders" of XBox Live Indie Games. Great stuff.

#5 Posted by SunBroZak (1067 posts) -

Gopher is great. He mostly does Bethesda games, and he likes to create backstories for the characters he role-plays as.

Chuggaaconroy is another one of those let's players who provides information throughout the let's play, which he's very good at. Some of his humour is a bit iffy, but I definitely enjoyed watching his Pokemon stuff.

Jesse Cox is probably my favourite. A nice, friendly sense of humour and a strong love for the lore of any game he plays. He won't obnoxiously skip cut-scenes or anything when he's doing a let's play.

#6 Posted by Drekly (158 posts) -

@otakugamer said:

1. The Achievement Hunter/Rooster Teeth crew is always fun to watch.
  2. Northernlion is a good watch if you like watching someone play challenging platformers/rougelike games.
  3. Day9tv has been doing some lets plays as of recent, funny guy.
  4. If you like watching fighting games, check out Miles923 also known as Maximilian.
  5. If you like watching Total War battles, robinhood2109 and HeirofCarthage is the go to for that.
  6. TotalBiscuit's Hearthstone videos are fun if your into CCGs.
  7. The AuZZie Gamer has done some really fun and informative Hitman let's plays.

Cool list, thanks!

As for SuperGreatFriend, never checked him out before but doing so now and he seems awesome. Great suggestion!

#7 Edited by lord_canti (1507 posts) -

i dont like lets plays however i rather like the 2 best friends videos

#8 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3131 posts) -

Voidburger is great for Silent Hill.

#9 Posted by altairre (1173 posts) -

Pretty much how I feel. They have edited videos (basically highlight reels) but on they do full playthroughs on their own channel (TheSw1tcher) and have a really good podcast too. Only videogame dudes I follow as closely as Giantbomb.

#10 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5352 posts) -

Hey some Soup support, huzzah. His Deadly Premonition LP beats the every living shit out of the endurance runs on this site.

#11 Posted by 49th (2722 posts) -

FrankieOnPCIn1080p does some really great DayZ commentaries. He puts so much effort into it and it's enjoyable to watch even if you don't play the game (which I don't).

#12 Posted by lilman1101 (1063 posts) -

I'm going to reiterate the earlier suggestion about Northernlion, in my opinion he's the definition of enjoyable yet dry/crass humour.

#13 Posted by CitizenCoffeeCake (483 posts) -

Pokecapn and his crew are great even if you're not that into Sonic, KungFuJesus has a good God Hand LP. You should also check out OatmealRaisin's Dead Rising LP, it is amazing to see someone master that game.

#14 Edited by ghostyTrickster (287 posts) -

I'm pretty sure these are the best I've seen after following Something Awful for the past 7 years or so.

#15 Posted by Hamborgini (21 posts) -

Research Indicates (Trespasser) and Geop (Assassin's Creed I & II, Dark Souls) come to mind.

#16 Posted by fisk0 (3983 posts) -

@ghostytrickster: I'd add Helloitsdan, maybe Proteus4994 (if he's even active anymore), other than that you got a solid list.

#17 Posted by ghostyTrickster (287 posts) -

@fisk0: Ah yeah, can't believe I forgot Dan. And yeah, Proteus and Suspicious did some great work with Quake 2, the Tomb Raiders, and Bulletstorm. But I haven't seen hide nor hair of him in a loooong time.

#18 Posted by fisk0 (3983 posts) -

Helloitsdan's and LithuanianDad's Mercenaries 2 Let's Play from 2009 is probably my all time favorite Let's Play, maybe shared first place with The Freelance Astronauts playing New Super Mario Bros Wii.

http://lparchive.org/Mercenaries-2/

#19 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

The Tipping Forties were great (they attempted to pattern themselves after the P4 ER actually), unfortunately they disbanded because a couple of them left Arizona but their Final Fantasy X run was great, as was Tales of Symphonia and Shenmue. They also drink a lot, for the record.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5A8BC158E436E7D1 Final Fantasy X playlist.

#20 Posted by ESREVER (2681 posts) -

Kikoskia and Hamst3r are my fav LPers, that said, I haven't watched any LP content in awhile. I'm all about speedruns and speedrunslive.com now

#21 Posted by FattyLobotnik (23 posts) -

@ghostytrickster: Something Awful really fosters some great content, including the unanimously praised, probably best Let's Play ever: Sonic 2 Special Edition by Docfuture

Don't forget Slowbeef (Snatcher's a good place to start) and Diabetus (Battletoads), who together form Retsupurae.

Retsupurae's initial shtick was making fun of bad Let's Plays, but they eventually branched off into talking over bad FMV games and Newgrounds flash games. They have over 500 videos so check out Arise Series, Negotiator/Ambition Series, Darkseed series (though it's a little long), Arival in Hell series, Rise of the Dragon, That's so Kaizo (Kaizo Mario 64), Retsuwatch, and various one off flash games to start.

#22 Edited by peterh (52 posts) -

If you're looking for JRPGs then HCBailly does a good job at being super thorough and informative (Now I never have to play Disgaea, or try once more to get through FF Tactics).

NorthernLion's 600+ episode series of Binding of Isaac runs is a great progression to skim through, and his Dark Souls LP made me think I had a chance at beating that game.... nope, stuck at Seath and Firesage Demon. :(

#23 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4961 posts) -

@altairre said:

@lord_canti said:

Pretty much how I feel. They have edited videos (basically highlight reels) but on they do full playthroughs on their own channel (TheSw1tcher) and have a really good podcast too. Only videogame dudes I follow as closely as Giantbomb.

They also referencing GB quite a lot.

#24 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

Kikoskia is the only LP-er I can stand with any sort of consistency.

#25 Edited by AlKusanagi (914 posts) -

I've become a fan of Markiplier when it comes to horror games. The only problem is he plays absolutely everything, so darn near everything on Spookin' With Scoops ends up being something I already watched him play.

#26 Posted by GreggD (4486 posts) -

Kikoskia is the only LP-er I can stand with any sort of consistency.

This indeed.

#27 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Patrick Klepek

just kidding. But he does write some cool articles and links so check those out.

#28 Posted by Willtron (243 posts) -

I second Gopher. He's not overly-funny, but he's just a passionate, cool dude, and his Let's Plays are just fun to watch. And they usually inform me about rad mods to use.

#29 Posted by chilibean_3 (1632 posts) -

Have you heard of this guy name Vinny? He makes videos with his equally talented friends Jeff, Brad and Drew. They're the best.

Also, Yet Another Dude With A Possibly Fake Accent Gets Angry At Video Games. Man, it's so LOL!!!!

#30 Edited by TobbRobb (4587 posts) -

Chip and Ironicus are the best in the business when it comes to useful production value and the amount of work/research that is put into their plays. As with all other channels, the earliest work is a little bit rough, but they get good fast. Then again, it helps a lot that I'm a big fan of the majority of the games they play and find inherent enjoyment out of just watching the games play out.

Give the 50 cent game a watch, it's short but amazing. And it will give you a good taste of how they operate.

#31 Posted by Popogeejo (613 posts) -

@ghostytrickster: Add Geop and Girgast to that list along with the other suggestions and you're golden.

The Idlethumbs streams are good (their playthrough of Crusader Kings 2 is way better than a video LP of it should be) and Danny O'dwyer from gamespot does a great series called Random Encounters. Watch the raw streams of those, not the edited down versions.

Also, just look through the archive and see what you find. SA still has the best concentration of LPing talent.

#32 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4184 posts) -

#33 Edited by ghostyTrickster (287 posts) -

@popogeejo: Ahhh, totally forgot about Geop! His Assassin's Creed 2 lp was so well done it was like watching the History Channel. I have not seen Girgast's before though, I'm gonna have to check this out.

#34 Posted by Gnubberen (764 posts) -

@drekly: I have been enjoying Sips quite a bit. So you should check him out. His channel showcase describes him pretty well:

#35 Posted by Drekly (158 posts) -

I am never going to be able to watch all of these...

WHATEVER, I CAN DO THIS.

#36 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

The Achievement Hunter crew are fucking hilarious.

#37 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

I've been watching Jingles lately. His Elder Scrolls stuff is pretty good.

I also really like Zemalf. His LP's are really in-depth, and he takes his time with stuff. I wish I could find more guys with this sort of playstyle.