Some of the Health Care plan - in plain english

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By matthew
Link. 

I'll see what I can put down on here, but goddammit . . . 

• Page 16: States that if you have insurance at the time of the bill becoming law and change, you will be required to take a similar plan. If that is not available, you will be required to take the government option!
• Page 22: Mandates audits of all employers that self-insure!
• Page 29: Admission: your health care will be rationed! 
• Page 30: A government committee will decide what treatments and benefits you get (and, unlike an insurer, there will be no appeals process)
• Page 42: The "Health Choices Commissioner" will decide health benefits for you. You will have no choice. None. 
• Page 50: All non-US citizens, illegal or not, will be provided with free healthcare services.
• Page 58: Every person will be issued a National ID Healthcard. 
• Page 59: The federal government will have direct, real-time access to all individual bank accounts for electronic funds transfer. 
• Page 65: Taxpayers will subsidize all union retiree and community organizer health plans (example: SEIU, UAW and ACORN) 
• Page 72: All private healthcare plans must conform to government rules to participate in a Healthcare Exchange. 
• Page 84: All private healthcare plans must participate in the Healthcare Exchange (i.e., total government control of private plans) 
• Page 91: Government mandates linguistic infrastructure for services; translation: illegal aliens 
• Page 95: The Government will pay ACORN and Americorps to sign up individuals for Government-run Health Care plan. 
• Page 102: Those eligible for Medicaid will be automatically enrolled: you have no choice in the matter. 
• Page 124: No company can sue the government for price-fixing. No "judicial review" is permitted against the government monopoly. Put simply, private insurers will be crushed.
• Page 127: The AMA sold doctors out: the government will set wages. 
• Page 145: An employer MUST auto-enroll employees into the government-run public plan. No alternatives.      

That was the gist of the article.  I suggest you take a look at it for yourselves also. 

Very unkosher. 

The next day . . . *edit*

I've realized I didn't make any attempt to check out the source of the cite the link gave.  I've never heard of the site freerepublic, but from what people have said, it's basically a right wing power kinda site, bias to no end and such.  And with the type of discussion I'm seeing at the end of the thread and such, I'm going to request for a lockdown of it all. 

Sorry about this guys.
Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Organicalistic_

sorry,  please summarize that a little bit more...

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By matthew
@organicalistic_: Summary - Americans are getting screwed.  In the anus.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Bones8677

Some of those sound REALLY scary. The government now is legally obligated to have full access to my bank account? The government cannot be sued? Where's the balance of power here?

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RsistncE

Awesome another dolt who barely understands legislation passed in his country. Somehow I just knew this was gonna be another moronic thread bashing the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act when the OP linked to some douchebag's blog rather than the act itself.

@Bones8677:
@ch13696:
Until this guy can provide the actual sections, subsections and provisions that outright prove what the OP is claiming to be true, do yourselves a favor and read the act for yourselves.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Health_Care_Affordability_Act

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BraveToaster
@Matthew said:
" @organicalistic_: Summary - Americans are getting screwed.  In the anus. "
win!
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ch13696

Nothing against you but is there a way I can see if this is true. The media likes to bend stuff to make it look real bad. Well, what is upsetting me is Page 50. Basically why do I have to pay but people that are not from here don't have to. Pretty crazy.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Snipzor

"• Page 95: The Government will pay ACORN and Americorps to sign up individuals for Government-run Health Care plan."   

ACORN doesn't exist anymore, it was shut down recently, I have a hard time trusting the validity of all the other ones now through the use of an already dead talking point. At least from this source, I'll just read all the other ones that talk about how shit the bill is in many respects.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AgentofChaos
@Bones8677 said:
" Some of those sound REALLY scary. The government now is legally obligated to have full access to my bank account? The government cannot be sued? Where's the balance of power here? "
Government has always had that power, guess what happens when don't pay the IRS for long enough.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

I have a penis!

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RsistncE
@AgentofChaos said:

" @Bones8677 said:

" Some of those sound REALLY scary. The government now is legally obligated to have full access to my bank account? The government cannot be sued? Where's the balance of power here? "
Government has always had that power, guess what happens when don't pay the IRS for long enough. "
Yeah that's the incredible part. It's like when I get old people who come into my bank who don't want me to write their bank accounts on the back of cheques issued by the federal government because they don't want them to have that information.

Newsflash: they've always had that information.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ch13696
@RsistncE said:
" Awesome another dolt who barely understands legislation passed in his country. Somehow I just knew this was gonna be another moronic thread bashing the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act when the OP linked to some douchebag's blog rather than the act itself.

@Bones8677:
@ch13696:
Until this guy can provide the actual sections, subsections and provisions that outright prove what the OP is claiming to be true, do yourselves a favor and read the act for yourselves.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Health_Care_Affordability_Act "
Dude. You know that my attention span only runs for like 15 seconds. Could you just tell me if non-US citizens will have free health care or not?
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By matthew
@Snipzor: Yep, a quick google search proves you're right.  The article I linked to was written in July of 2009.  Now I'll admit I'm not the foremost authority on how bills and such are passed in the government, but things may have changed a bit.  I'm totally open to see some changes in the bill, or at least a link showing there have been some changes applied to it in the past 6+ months.
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Rayfield
@Claude said:
"I have a penis! "

lock thread
Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snipzor
@Claude said:
" I have a penis! "
Derailment, successful!
AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AgentofChaos
@Matthew said:

" @Snipzor: Yep, a quick google search proves you're right.  The article I linked to was written in July of 2009.  Now I'll admit I'm not the foremost authority on how bills and such are passed in the government, but things may have changed a bit.  I'm totally open to see some changes in the bill, or at least a link showing there have been some changes applied to it in the past 6+ months. "

The bill will be amended several times. Just like every bill ever.
Not to mention the fact that the article is from July of Last year.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Red12b

What part of the Anus? Is it inside the Anus? is it around the Anus?  

Is it in the Sphincter?
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RsistncE
@ch13696: I'm not sure why so many Americans assume this, but the Patient Protection and Health Care Affordability Act doesn't provide Universal Health Care and it certainly doesn't provide FREE health care. It essentially takes a lot of power away from insurance companies. For example it prevents insurance companies from denying insurance to individuals with pre-existing conditions or from cancelling outright upon the return of a condition (by 2014). It largely is the first step in a long line of health care reform legislation that seeks to bring the US's health care in line with that of the rest of the world.
Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Wraith1

why is this article is from July 30, 2009? Is there anything more recent?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By AndrewB
@Matthew said:
I wonder if lube is covered in the health care bill?
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bones8677

Just to clarify, I'm not freaking out about this bill only because abusing it, would be just too stupid even for the US government.

crona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crona

Alright, you seem like you're upset and trying to maintain an objective look at this health care plan. People have, and I could easily, go on and on about how awesome healthcare is, but I won't, because in a couple of years, maybe even a decade, you'll understand. The government has agreed to take care of everyone and anyone (good in my eyes, maybe I misread your tone) who is in their country. They also allow you the independence to avoid lines or whatever you might be afraid of and go private if you feel you can afford it. Look at me, I said I wouldn't talk about why it's good. ANYWAYS. 

Canada's had healthcare for years, and contrary to popular belief, we haven't yet descended into anarchy because of it. In fact, the vast majority of us praise it and, speaking from experience, when we reach the age and find out that the U.S. doesn't (didn't) have healthcare, we're astonished. Even now when we see people rallying against it, we don't understand. Anyways, I'll check back later and see if anyone actually wants to know more of my opinion (haha, right?) but basically, give it a chance. 

I'll finish with the most important part to me: it WILL save lives.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Red12b

Post by AndrewB (2,075 posts) See mini bio 676 ACH / 11105 P
Online Now
FollowSend a PM
@Matthew said:

I wonder if lube is covered in the health care bill?

It's an added extra.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By Claude
@Snipzor said:
" @Claude said:
" I have a penis! "
Derailment, successful! "
I also have a ball sack. I call bullshit. Most people say this will help the insurance companies. More costumers means more profit, plus the government will guarantee it with the help of IRS control. There is no government option dip shits, the monies will be given to the insurance companies. How do you think it passed? Don't let the vote between the Republicans and Democrats fool you... games were played.
dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dantheman1515

The OP is retarded. There is no public option inclosed into the bill. It simply says that by 2014 every American citizen must have an insurance policy with a private company. If the person cannot afford this than the government will subsidize this and pay for the person's healthcare. Its very similar to Germany or Switzerland's system which has universal healthcare without the public option, but rather has hyper competitive private agencies who are heavily regulated and must compete thoroughly against one another. 

There are great things in this bill. A child stays under their parents healthcare until they are 26. Ridding the issue of college students without healthcare because they can't afford it. 

A child cannot be turned down for coverage due to a preexisting condition. 

Being a women is no longer a preexisting condition. i.e. women can no longer be turned down for coverage due to past spousal abuse and even pregnancy. 

Insurance companies cannot place caps on coverage. In past years an insurance company could cut off their payments when a certain dollar point was reached, therefore stopping thee treatment of the said person. 

Do your own research and have an actual discussion with people, rather than watching slanted news headlines. Watch "Out Foxed" and you'll see the real reason why fox news covers news like they do. Oh wait, they don't cover news. They cover their biased opinions on an issue. But that's another story. 

For the average American this is great, don't let conservative media make you think otherwise. They are big business and therefore they are attempting to protect themselves rather than to inform the people.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Snipzor
@Claude said:
" @Snipzor said:
" @Claude said:
" I have a penis! "
Derailment, successful! "
I also have a ball sack. I call bullshit. Most people say this will help the insurance companies. More costumers means more profit, plus the government will guarantee it with the help of IRS control. There is no government option dip shits, the monies will be given to the insurance companies. How do you think it passed? Don't let the vote between the Republicans and Democrats fool you... games were played. "
Don't ruin the moment. I want the derail to happen before I go to bed... ah fuck it, I'm going to bed.
NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By NickL

i really wish i could get an unbiased summary of it but that really isnt possible i guess
ill just read it on my own on my next day off

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By lordofultima

ok so, I get health care automatically and it's my employers responsibility to enroll me? That sounds awesome, because it's too much trouble otherwise. Stop complaining.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By weltal

"From CMS at FreeRepublic.com"

Some of the other awesome articles from that same site:
"

• I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:21:09 AM · by Cindy · 1 replies · 18+ views
    (WHO, 1967) via YouTube.com ^ | Added to YouTube on April 2, 2009 | n/a
    I CAN SEE FOR MILES (WHO, 1967) Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEBDAeLDqtk Here is the lyrics: http://www.musicsonglyrics.com/W/thewholyrics/thewhoicanseeformileslyrics.htm

Just sayin' it's just a large forum where people post things. So it'd be like a news article quoting a random Giant Bomb thread.
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rayfield

And to think our news is all about Tony Abbott in speedos.
Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Wipeout

You got that from FreeRepublic.com and you're posting it as fact?   

Why don't I just make up some bullshit right-speak instead. 

- Page 22 says that abortions will now be mandatory 
- Page 45 says that "The Gays" will get better healthcare than anyone else 
- Page 99 says that all doctors are required to participate in sodomy  

An American friend of mine told me the only things that ACTUALLY got changed was that insurance companies can no longer deny medicare over the pre-existing condition clause.  

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#33  Edited By gla55jAw

Taxes go up! And if you don't get insurance you get fined $700! AWESOME!

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By ez123

LMAO OP. 

No face palms yet? Giantbomb, I am disappoint.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jmrwacko

No Caption Provided
LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By LaszloKovacs

Awesome, ancient misinformation written with the tone of a conspiracy theorist!

Will somebody lock this thread? I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but there's really no benefit to filling the forum with alarmist nonsense.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By matthew
@jmrwacko:
@ez123:
@Wipeout: A couple people have already pointed the fallacies of the site . . . would it help if I admitted I've never heard of the site? Honestly, I never have.  I got the link from a friend of mine at facebook, thought it was horrible what the bill was trying to pass, and thought I'd bring it over here. 

Typically I get my news from AP, drudgereport, NY Times, etc.
Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pirate_republic

Damn those Democrats. They're going to tax us all, and spend that money on abortions and unplugging old people. They're going to bankrupt us all with their soviet communist scum ideas. Pretty soon, Michael Moore will be declared the next president without a vote, and abortions and legal weed-smoking will be mandatory for all pregnant mothers, destroying our population. They will start creating communist robots that will force Russia to become the USSR once more, and China, Cuba, the newly formed USSR, and the USA will all join to be the first soviet communist galactic empire federation of the the universe.

Oh, and has already been stated, this article is bullshit. Its literally a forum post by some dude on the internet. And oh hey, I'm a dude on the internet, so go ahead and post my above quote as news. Thanks.

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dantheman1515
@gla55jAw: You know that Congress has no right to fine. They have the right to tax, and this doesn't take effect until 2014. By that time insurance will be dirt cheap due to this new legislation, and therefore it won't be a hassle to buy.
Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Organicalistic_
@Bones8677 said:
Yeah now Definitely after learning Japanese I am moving to Japan, but while I am doing that I'll be in Canada
User_Hostile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By User_Hostile

Any country that doesn't give its citizens access to free healthcare needs to take a long, hard look at itself.

Seriously.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jadeskye
@User_Hostile said:
" Any country that doesn't give its citizens access to free healthcare needs to take a long, hard look at itself.  Seriously. "
I hear that. 

Most of that looks quite similar to the healthcare system here.
ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By ez123

fallacies of the site lol.  Read it for more than 3 seconds.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By KaosAngel
@User_Hostile said:
" Any country that doesn't give its citizens access to free healthcare needs to take a long, hard look at itself.  Seriously. "
I don't like taxes going up, and I hate giving the government my money that I work for...I found out I owe almost 2k in taxes this year, and I haven't worked in the States since my HS years.  O_O  In Japan my company took care of me, in the States all my friends and family are taken care of by their companies, and that's how it works here.  We have an ER system that gives them free health care regardless.
Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By Bwast

Death camps!

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By rjaylee
@Matthew:
You also failed to note that within that link itself, it sources those paged generalizations "From CMS at FreeRepublic.com". 

Upon further investigation (aside from the article being incredibly outdated), you'll see that  http://www.freerepublic.com/ is a highly biased republican-based news site (even though it's more in the form of an opinion blog) so you can't take that site seriously at all for any sort of non-bias. Regardless of how you stumbled upon this link, you should have done your fact checking.
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By rjaylee
@KaosAngel said:
"I don't like taxes going up, and I hate giving the government my money that I work for...I found out I owe almost 2k in taxes this year, and I haven't worked in the States since my HS years.  O_O  In Japan my company took care of me, in the States all my friends and family are taken care of by their companies, and that's how it works here.  We have an ER system that gives them free health care regardless. "
That's great that your company takes care of you and all, but guess what? Not everyone is in the position to have a job that offers coverage for your health insurance like you and your friends, and real people have been taken advantage of by insurance companies from the way the system currently works.  

I'm so glad you can be such a selfish-minded prick to boorishly look the other way at people who aren't as fortunate as you are. 

Health care is never "free". It needs to be paid for and maintained by those taxes, among other services. Obviously some services are run better than others, but that is a different argument.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By KaosAngel
@heatDrive88: Why should I have to pay more for people who don't even try to work hard?  My parents came to the States when I was 3, and my mom didn't speak a lick of English back then.  They fought tooth and nail to be citizens and rise up in the social class ladder, guess what...who knew hard work would pay off?!   I go back to my old neighborhood in Philly and see the same areas with the same people and problems, they just don't even try.

The Middle and Upper class in this country get screwed over so much in this country and it's disturbing.  I'm a pretty liberal guy and don't give two shits if you're white, purple, gay, a halo fanboy, or even a Bush supporter, but I hate spending money on the lower class when it clearly doesn't work.  Look at our jail system, the number of druggies, the number of times people switch in and out of rehab.   

Why is the Middle and Upper Class punished more so than anyother?  Is that justice?  My immigrant parents used hard work to make life better, if they can do it...clearly an American born family in the same situation can do it.
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By rjaylee

So you're saying you've grown up to be an elitist. Good job, you've generalized every human being's life experience and opportunity to be equally the same as yours, simply by the fact that your immigrant parents 'made it' in life.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#50  Edited By citizenkane
@Claude said:
" I have a penis! "