• 104 results
Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I eat spicy food, but that's because I grew up in a Thai household. There's a difference, however, in spicy food and just being an insane person like the people you see on TV who are sweating and in pain when they're eating super spicy stuff. To use a scale from 1 to 5 (a scale all of the Thai restaurants I worked at use) I can take a 3, but that's rare. I mainly take a 2 since I'm not crazy about the stuff but a little bit is fine for me. My mom and aunt on the other hand, when they were younger, used to bite into fresh Thai chili peppers with their food. Why? Shit if I know, it must be the rural cuisine they were used to eating before they came to America.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By korwin

Spicy food is great, it's an extra layer of experience on top of a meal.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By RIDEBIRD

It's not about being cool. I like spicy food but not like bite in to a piripiri spicy. I don't like to not be able to breathe.

I love the burn of chili (the dish) when I eat it. It fills me up with warmth and I feel like my entire being is being warmed up and I feel lovely. It's sort of like a drug, and yes, I would guess endorphins are infolved. Also, a lot of spicy dishes are spicy in the ense that they taste a lot as well, and yes, differing between heat and spicyness is probably good. I LOVE when it just tastes a lot - fulfilling, deep, multiple types of taste being activated. And I love heat when it burns in my mouth and it feels like you're alive.

Never any stomach issues from spicy food btw.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#54  Edited By spazmaster666

Even without capsaicin, spicy foods have a lot of flavor. The flavor of jalapenos for instance is not completely reliant on its spiciness. Even if you take away the spicy component, foods cooked with hot peppers still taste good from the taste of the peppers themselves.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

i jus like it man. 
i like it better.
Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Spicy food is tasty....nuff said

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By Venatio

I love spicy food, so much more taste! Damn this thread is not helping my hunger right now, gotta go eat something

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By penguindust

I love spicy-hot foods. There is a flavor and bite to it that I enjoy. Jalapeno level of heat is my maximum though. I can't go to habanero level. I like hot sauce on pizza, eggs, a dash or two in soup, and on chicken.

Oh, and Chinese mustard on an egg or spring roll is fantastic. I can feel it in my nose.

Shimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By Shimmy

Because it's fun to trick your body into thinking it's in danger.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60  Edited By s10129107

HOW CAN YOU LIKE SOMETHING I DONT LIKE?!?!!?!?!?!

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By alex

I have a weak-ish sense of taste and smell, so foods with more pronounced flavors tend to be my favorites. Spicy foods qualify under that banner. Also, jalapenos are delicious.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By frankfartmouth

How can all the Indians, Chinese, Mexicans, Thais, Vietnamese, and countless other cultures who rely heavily on spice in their cuisine be wrong? Can't live without it myself. After your body adjusts to some of the initial discomfort, it opens up a whole area of food experience you can't get otherwise

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By hockeymask27

Not going to lie. It kind of just makes me feel good. Like I enjoy the drink with my meal better.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#64  Edited By galiant

I prefer spicy for sure. You're missing out.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Sbaitso

Really well made quality hot sauce has a very deep and incredible flavor, plus the spice is just enjoyable. I make and age my own habanero sauce and when done right, it isn't really that hot. It's definitely very up there in intensity, but once you've roasted them, made them into a sauce, and aged that about six months, they really mellow out into something incredible. it's not like eating one raw, and it also has a really deep flavor. I think I get why alot of people don't like it, but I personally can't live without it.

Having said that tho, a food can't stand up on only being super hot, it has to have a rich flavor of it's own that compliments the heat to really be wonderful. I also think much can be gained by creating your own sauces. Hot wings do not just consist of fried\baked wings and off the shelf hot sauce. That is certainly involved, but you also need onion, pepper, a little orange, cayenne, garlic, even some brown sugar, all reduced with some red wine(to name some main ingredients I use) which is then combined the off the shelf stuff if you want truly amazing wings. It's about depth, not just heat.

No Caption Provided
onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#66  Edited By onan

@Potts said:

@pyromagnestir said:

Only if you explain to me how some people can like bland food. Like white rice and plain grilled chicken. Or my mother's favorite hamburger corn and potatoes (shepherd's pie as it is otherwise called, right?)

White rice & grilled chicken tend to go really well with something spicy, like curry, or a mix of grilled vegetables, with some hot peppers thrown in.

People tend to like spicy food because it "spices up" stuff that would be otherwise bland, like rice, chicken, shepard's pie, etc. Spicy food is tough to get accustomed to, but if you start small, like with dijon mustard and a dash of tabasco in your chili, and work your way up, eventually getting to where you can eat slices of jalepenos on sandwiches/burgers, or stomach those really amazing spicy curry dishes, your palate will thank you.

Yeah, Pretty much this.

Spicy (misnomer, you mean heat) isn't really a flavor, it's a food property. I can't stick my finger into a sandwich and tell you it's salty, but at a certain point, if you get some hot sauces on your fingers, you'll actually feel the capsaicin burning them.

So really, it's more of a food quality than a flavor, like crunch, or the icy sensation of drinking a slurpee and getting a brain freeze. These aren't flavors, but they're things we crave because of what they do to an otherwise boring and bland eating experience.

Quick little side story here. I recently had all of my wisdom teeth out at once, and I was told not to eat solid food for a bit to let them heal. After about a day, I was going a bit stir crazy and wanted to ingest something more substantial, but I couldn't, just soup and jello. So for dinner that night was some mac and cheese and pulled pork, which normally would have been pretty damn tasty, but I couldn't have it. I had the "brilliant" idea of sticking it in a blender and pureeing it. Yes, I made a pork and cheese smoothie. It was just about the most vile thing I could imagine. Outside of the context of texture, it was completely unappetizing. The lack of crunch, or texture, in many contexts is similar to the mindset that spiciness enthusiasts feel about food that isn't hot. When they say something is "bland," it's like taking away all of those secondary characteristics that actually make the food we eat appetizing.

Spiciness is akin to an added texture sensation. It's the difference between kool-aid and a popsicle. It's like asking why anyone would ever want to eat something cold. The flavor remains the same, the texture remains more or less the same, but the mouth-feel is fundamentally changed.

Personally, I used to hate spicy food, but at some point I grew to like it. I'm guessing it may have been a few times when I was presented with food that was too spicy for me and I just forced my way through it in order to not offend anyone, or because I was hungry and it was the only option. Eventually I found myself ordering spicier food at restaurants, and eventually asking for hot sauce specifically, and then buying my own to have around the house. Now, I pretty much put sriracha on everything. At barbecues, I put copious amounts of sriracha and mustard on my hot dogs and now I wouldn't have them any other way. I hate ketchup, I find it to be cloying and gross, but sriracha is pretty much the same color so it satisfies that mental image of what a hot dog should be. (Similarly, I dislike syrup on my pancakes, instead opting for butter and salt, but I digress.)

There is a technique to eating food that's too spicy for you, and it has to deal with where on your tongue you allow food to go. For super spicy food, I can manage by keeping the heat to the outsides of my tongue and away from the center while chewing and swallowing. It's similar in technique to quickly consuming a slurpee without getting a brain freeze.

Eventually you should just be able to do shots of lesser hot sauces like you would whiskey or vodka. Incidentally, those are also semi-vile things you grow an appreciation for.

edit: The oatmeal knows what's up: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha

No Caption Provided
Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67  Edited By Sackmanjones

Who wants some wings?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By hatking

Cayenne is really good for you, for one. Otherwise, I just enjoy the taste of a lot of spicy foods. I'm not crazy, if it's too the point where I'm drinking a cup of milk between each bite, it crosses the line of enjoyable to endurance. However, I do enjoy a spicy sauce on a sandwich, if it's done well.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By Morrow

@Little_Socrates said:

I have a very low spice tolerance.

Same here. I love some asian food, but most of it is too spicy for me ._.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#70  Edited By MudMan

I have to admit, as a philosophical question, "Can you explain spicy food to me?" is a pretty good one. I mean, can I? If you were an alien with no sense of taste, could I do that?

MIBAgentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By MIBAgentD

Spicy food gives me fartburn.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Explain why you don't like spicy food. It's the absolute best. I make every meal spicy if I can.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By habster3

Some people naturally tolerate spicy food and even crave it (I'm one of them). It's not like there's really a way to describe it to someone who finds eating spicy food unpleasant; I guess we just like it that way

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Ramone

I just like it I guess, also it's cool to see how far I can push myself. Some of the stuff I can eat now I wouldn't have even approached a couple of years ago.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ComradeKhan
@Alex said:

I have a weak-ish sense of taste

... we know 

EDIT: But seriously, spicy food is an amazing thing... its the spice of life, if you will.
FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76  Edited By FesteringNeon

@Sbaitso: It's kind of funny to me that you have a picture with Stella and Celery in it. Yesterday I bought a 24oz bottle of Stella and wanted to chill it in the freezer (for that extra coldness on a hot day) and forgot it in there just a tad too long. When i cracked it open there was about an inch of icy beer that prevented me from drinking it anyways. For the life of me I couldn't find anything to break up the ice... so I looked in the fridge and grabbed a celery stick to break it up. Weird thing is, I didn't hate the combo. Typically Stella has a strong great taste, and celery a bitter one.. It balanced out the first few drinks and made a decent snack with it.

Anyways, good call.

On topic: I think it's up to each individual. To me, I like the clearing of sinuses in winter, and something about spice in summer reminds me of authentic Mexican food just sweating it out in the sun.

My favorite mild spice is just Tabasco. Love it on just about everything.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Philantrophy

Spicy food is the only way I can feel alive.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#78  Edited By benspyda

I don't mind some mildly spicy foods but I don't get why people eat super spicy stuff and look like they are in pain while eating it.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Sbaitso

@FesteringNeon: The Stella is for while eating the hotwings, the celery is for after. And the gin and tonic is my father's cause he's weird like that.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Sbaitso

@Sackmanjones: This thread has inspired me to make mine tonight now.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By NickL

I could ask the same about you weirdos that don't like spicy food.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Butler

Give up sugar for an extended period of time and see if your enjoyment of spicy foods develops.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I love very specific hot foods, only because of the taste. Jambalaya is literally one of the best things ever, but the only way I've ever had it is to the point where a glass of milk and three pieces of bread are mandatory to not pass the fuck out.

I get the science behind the spiciness but I just factually dislike the "taste" of spicy aftertastes.

dragonboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By dragonboss

Where I'm from all the food is spicy and western foods tend to taste bland to me due to the apparent relative lack of spicing and the reasons for the food being soo spicy is probably because they all originate from countries with very warm climates, hence the hot spicy food makes you sweat and therefore cools you down afterwards.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#85  Edited By natetodamax

I can handle some really spicy stuff but when it gets to the point where I feel like it's killing me.... yeah, that's not very enjoyable.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By fetchfox

Love spicy food, tabasco and jalapeño goes with a lot. I grew up with spicy food, and I've only increased the amount since then.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By mordukai

Because it add awesomeness to the taste. I grew up on spicy food so I am used to that.

p00rdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By p00rdevil

Spicy is real! If you are a meat eater green Tobasco is a great steak sauce. I use jalapeno peppers in a lot of my food. Just yesterday I made a macaroni and cheese casserole with mozzarella, blue cheese, onion, bacon, and one jalapeno pepper to spice it up. It came out great.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#89  Edited By butano

Not a fan of the normal Tabasco sauce. Too vinegary for my taste, however, their smoked Chipotle sauce, AMAZING!

For me, if I'm not crying, it's not spicy enough.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By mikey87144

I grew up on spicy food so this burning you speak of is completely foreign to me. To me anyway, spicy food is the only way to go. Non spicy food almost feels soulless to me.

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

@NickL said:

I could ask the same about you weirdos that don't like spicy food.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By MikkaQ

It adds flavor, character and depth to basically any dish. Layering spices is a super important aspect of cooking.

Cooking without spices is like drinking cooking rum. Sure, you got fed/drunk, but in the worst way possible.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@DockJaw said:

Why do people do it? It's like the culinary equivalent of nu metal.

You should be more honest and say that you have very limited experience in eating anything outside of what you know,

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#94  Edited By kerse
@YetiAntics

"Spicy" does have a flavor. Once you get through the burning or grown accustomed to it, it's too amazing to describe.

Because I can't describe it. Hot sauce for example tastes so good on pizza, wings, fruit, etc.

This, the taste of spicy stuff is really good to me, if I could get it without the burn I would but I don't think its possible.
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By habster3

@DockJaw said:

Why do people do it? It's like the culinary equivalent of nu metal.

I hate to respond to this thread again, but wow, OP. Just... wow

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#96  Edited By project343

Because most American/British food is so fucking boring. I get bored of food easily, spicy flavours change things up. The comparison should be made to horror films, not nu metal. There is lightly masochistic, and then there's just plain self-abuse.

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By jmood88

Spiciness is delicious, that's why.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By freakin9

Usually mass market spicy food is horrendous. I enjoy a good spicy food, but sometimes all that's happening is a complete overpowerment where all you are getting is a swift kick in the ass of harshness. You really have to be ready to take in the experience at that point because you aren't so much eating food as testing your ability to eat a really awful dish. I think when an actual chef worth a damned makes a spicy dish, it's a completely different, and welcome, experience.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#99  Edited By ReyGitano

If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen!

Also comparing it to Nu Metal? Spicy food has been a staple of food forever. That's like accusing people of being Hipsters because they play stringed instruments.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By NegativeCero

I can't handle spicy food either. I've just never developed a taste for it.