#1 Edited by TinoXtreme (300 posts) -

Has this ever happened to you. Someone walks up and ask for change for whatever. Well say what happened to me right now a change for a 50. Soon as you about to give them the change for a 50, the person then ask if you to give them change for a 100 and gives you back the money gave him, plus the change he gave you for the 50. So in this quick rapid fire succession of exchanges you give them the bigger bill. Then bam! You are out of what you gave him change for in the first place. This is what is called the change scam.

Now I was able to notice this because this has happened to me before. So I was like you got to give me another 50 before I give you the 100. Now he tries to pressure it on me as quickly as possible so he thought I made a mistake. That didn't work as I explained to him what he was trying do, and told him to fuck off with that bullshit. So he walks out the store.

Luckily I learned from my previous mistakes. Has anyone ever had this happen to them before?

Edit 2: posted a great video on how it works. I'll post it in the original post.

Edit: Here is a play by play for people who might be confused..

1. Sir Walks in ask for change for a $50 after buying something small.
  2. I give him the initial change for the pop he bought.
  3. Then he gives me two $20's, a $5, and 5 singles. He asked for a solid 50 but didn't have one, so he asked for five $10s.
  4. Before I put the money up he gave me , he asks really quick nah man just give me a change for a $100 bill.
  5. So he tries to confuse you by adding up the change you initially gave him, plus the money he gave you for the change.
  6. So if you give him the $100 dollars, you are out $50 dollars. Because he pretty much just added the change you gave him, plus the money he gave you for the change.
  7. So I explained to him that I am not stupid, gave him his original money back, and told him don't come back in this store again or it will be consequences.
#2 Posted by VierasTalo (933 posts) -

So wait, did he leave his initial 50 with you? Ka-ching.

#3 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4858 posts) -

You don't make any sense.

#4 Posted by TinoXtreme (300 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

You don't make any sense.

Alright Well let me do a play by play with number bullets.

1. Sir Walks in ask for change for a $50 after buying something small.
  2. I give him the initial change for the pop he bought.
  3. Then he gives me two $20's, a $5, and 5 singles. He asked for a solid 50 but didn't have one, so he asked for five $10s.
  4. Before I put the money up he gave me , he asks really quick nah man just give me a change for a $100 bill.
  5. So he tries to confuse you by adding up the change you initially gave him, plus the money he gave you for the change.
  6. So if you give him the $100 dollars, you are out $50 dollars. Because he pretty much just added the change you gave him, plus the money he gave you for the change.
  7. So I explained to him that I am not stupid, gave him his original money back, and told him don't come back in this store again or it will be consequences.
#5 Posted by TinoXtreme (300 posts) -

@VierasTalo said:

So wait, did he leave his initial 50 with you? Ka-ching.

Nah I try to be honest about everything I do. I just gave him back the original change he gave me and told him to leave the store.

#6 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -

I may have seen this scam in an episode of Penn and Teller's Bullshit. I do enjoy that show.

Is this the trick?

#7 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

Somebody tried to do something kind of like this when I was a cashier.

He gave me a $10 to pay for some gum, i gave him his change, he walks away and 30 seconds later comes back and says he gave me $20 and that I owe him $10.

I called a manager to verify, she checked the security tape and he gave me $10...

I feel bad for anyone that falls for that kind of crap since most stores take it out of the cashiers paycheck for missing X amount of money.

#8 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

No, but I've watched Hustle, so I know how this shit works.

#9 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Are some people actually stupid enough to fall for that?

#10 Posted by TinoXtreme (300 posts) -

@mylifeforAiur said:

I may have seen this scam in an episode of Penn and Teller's Bullshit. I do enjoy that show.

Is this the trick?

Yea this is exactly it.

#11 Posted by Patman99 (1620 posts) -

Im not sure I am following... He asked you to change his small bills totalling $50 for a single $50 bill. Upon grabbing the equivalent of $50 out of the till, he quickly says: "nevermind, I want change for $100."

The way it is supposed to work is that you get an additional $50 out of the till giving the man $100 in total while he only gave you $50? I dont see how this can be a successful scam. I mean how do you not realise how much money the person gives you in the first place? I know you did not fall for it but just in general, how does this "scam" even work at all....

#12 Posted by TinoXtreme (300 posts) -

@Patman99 said:

Im not sure I am following... He asked you to change his small bills totalling $50 for a single $50 bill. Upon grabbing the equivalent of $50 out of the till, he quickly says: "nevermind, I want change for $100."

The way it is supposed to work is that you get an additional $50 out of the till giving the man $100 in total while he only gave you $50? I dont see how this can be a successful scam. I mean how do you not realise how much money the person gives you in the first place? I know you did not fall for it but just in general, how does this "scam" even work at all....

Well when you are a cashier, and people just give you money on a regular basis, you are not really looking for anything out of the ordinary. If you are in a busy store, and the person is doing this scam as quickly as possible, it is possible to lose track, because you are not looking for it. That's why some stores don't give out change period, because cashiers have been hit up like this before. The best way to keep track is to just put the money he gave you right in the draw before you take any more exchanges. That way you won't lose track of what you got.

#13 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@Patman99 said:

How it works, from what I'm understanding is the guy asks for change for a 50. You give it to him, and before he gives you 50 he changes it and says to make it change for 100. So he gives you the money you just gave him and the 50 he was supposed to give you for the first lot of change, so it looks like he is giving you 100 dollars when he is really only giving you 50.

#14 Posted by forkboy (1174 posts) -

@James_Giant_Peach said:

It's not really predicated on stupidity, it's about how much attention the cashier is paying. Ever work in a shop? It can get quite tedious, pretty easy to zone out.

#15 Posted by Asurastrike (2173 posts) -

This happened to me a little more than a year ago. The guy bought something for like a dollar, then he started handing me more money and kept asking for different change every time I gave him his change. I realized what was happening but my manager was on the phone when I called for him on the headset, and the guy took off. He ended up getting like $40.

I am way more careful giving change now.

#16 Edited by Ares42 (2794 posts) -

Why would you ever give people money before counting the change they gave you ? Hell, they don't even have to con you to take advantage of that situation. They can just hand you a bunch of bills and say it's 200$ then you hand them the money before counting and they can just take off.

#17 Posted by TinoXtreme (300 posts) -

@forkboy said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

It's not really predicated on stupidity, it's about how much attention the cashier is paying. Ever work in a shop? It can get quite tedious, pretty easy to zone out.

Yea. Once you been a cashier for a while, pretty much everything is on auto pilot for the most part. You try to do everything quickly as possible, so you can serve customers and get them out the door. So when this comes up, and your not aware of the scam, you won't catch on til it's too late.

#18 Posted by NinjaHunter (973 posts) -

To prevent this from happening don't you just need to make sure you put money into the register before you take it out? I mean if I'm understanding this correctly he would be adding the the two $20's the $5 and the five singles plus the five $10's.

#19 Posted by Adus (68 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

Why would you ever give people money before counting the change they gave you ? Hell, they don't even have to con you to take advantage of that situation. They can just hand you a bunch of bills and say it's 200$ then you hand them the money before counting and they can just take off.

Yeah I feel like I'm missing something. The whole scam seems dependent on the cashier giving the change before they get the bill. In what situation would you ever do that? I've worked as a cashier and there is literally never a time I would have done that, no matter how "busy" things were.

#20 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Always relay to the customer what they gave you.

#21 Posted by Zero_ (1977 posts) -

This obviously only works if on the 2nd part, they give you the money. Because, if you ask for the (extra) change and get caught out, it's good game for you right there.