Has this ever happened to you. Someone walks up and ask for change for whatever. Well say what happened to me right now a change for a 50. Soon as you about to give them the change for a 50, the person then ask if you to give them change for a 100 and gives you back the money gave him, plus the change he gave you for the 50. So in this quick rapid fire succession of exchanges you give them the bigger bill. Then bam! You are out of what you gave him change for in the first place. This is what is called the change scam.
Now I was able to notice this because this has happened to me before. So I was like you got to give me another 50 before I give you the 100. Now he tries to pressure it on me as quickly as possible so he thought I made a mistake. That didn't work as I explained to him what he was trying do, and told him to fuck off with that bullshit. So he walks out the store.
Luckily I learned from my previous mistakes. Has anyone ever had this happen to them before?
Edit 2:posted a great video on how it works. I'll post it in the original post.
Edit: Here is a play by play for people who might be confused..
- Sir Walks in ask for change for a $50 after buying something small.
- I give him the initial change for the pop he bought.
- Then he gives me two $20's, a $5, and 5 singles. He asked for a solid 50 but didn't have one, so he asked for five $10s.
- Before I put the money up he gave me , he asks really quick nah man just give me a change for a $100 bill.
- So he tries to confuse you by adding up the change you initially gave him, plus the money he gave you for the change.
- So if you give him the $100 dollars, you are out $50 dollars. Because he pretty much just added the change you gave him, plus the money he gave you for the change.
- So I explained to him that I am not stupid, gave him his original money back, and told him don't come back in this store again or it will be consequences.